Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah! Got it and it makes sense too, thank you! I like the term but don't like why it's needed.
Hunkering down with power and internet is so much better IMO - people get mean when there’s no AC and ice - so far so good - although I’m starting to see lines outside grocery stores driving to work ... our governor pretty much shut down social life tonight and our courts are basically limiting any activity - telephone hearings which really limits law fairness IMo - I’m awaiting a full closure soon

As for when seeking advise when to go to the hospital, I know that I'm lucky to be able to call work and ask a nurse or doctor for advice if I have to, but I know not all have that possibility. Sweden have a telephone number you can call, and speak with a nurse who can give advice, when and where to go when needed.
You’re making me wish my ancestors never left Sweden.

As I fully encompass the impact of this awful virus, I am literally in tears. Thinking long term, so many will not survive. What about summer and picnics, bicycling, swimming, vacations? Thanksgiving? Christmas? What will happen to schools? To people out of work? I just cannot comprehend it all.
It is overwhelming. I have cried many tears. Mostly at night when I can’t sleep. Life will never be the same for so many. I feel deeply sad for the young people missing so many milestones. Weddings, graduation, sports honors and school. I saw a commercial from “before” of kids getting on a school bus. Brought me to tears all over again. Personally, the commercials are the worst. Happy and carefree just a week or so ago.

I am probably not helping with your despair. But it does help to talk it out. Be sure to balance your live. Take some time off the internet. Turn off the news. If you can, take a car ride. Pack a lunch. Or a walk. Whatever helps.
Peace and Love

This articles makes it clear why West Virginia was the last state in the US to get a positive case. It was nearly impossible to get tested, that's why. And even after the guy got tested, a senator had to get involved for him to find out his results.
"Their story began on March 12, when James awoke with what seemed like a bad cold. By the next day, his symptoms had worsened, and seemed consistent with what the couple had read about COVID-19, despite James having no clear link to a confirmed patient or a high-risk travel history. Carolyn now believes he contracted the virus during a weekend trip the couple took to Washington, D.C. the prior weekend. Here’s what happened next, according to Carolyn (what follows has been edited and condensed for clarity):"
My Husband Is West Virginia's First COVID-19 Patient. The State Almost Lost His Test Results

CALIFORNIA - Fresno County

No ‘community spread’ of coronavirus in Fresno so far. Here’s when that could change
Fresno County so far has not confirmed a coronavirus case spread by community transmission.

The Public Health Department announced three new positive cases on Friday, bringing the total to six. Five of them were travel related. No one has been hospitalized locally or died from COVID-19.

[...]

When health officials say “community spread,” that means the source of the infection can’t be determined and a patient could’ve contracted the virus from anywhere in the community, said Dr. Rais Vohra, the county’s interim health officer.

The risk of getting COVID-19 from community spread remains low, Vohra said. Once the county confirms 10 cases or more, that risk will grow, and health officials are preparing for that scenario. So far, 200-300 Fresno County residents have been tested.

[...]

It is overwhelming. I have cried many tears. Mostly at night when I can’t sleep. Life will never be the same for so many. I feel deeply sad for the young people missing so many milestones. Weddings, graduation, sports honors and school. I saw a commercial from “before” of kids getting on a school bus. Brought me to tears all over again. Personally, the commercials are the worst. Happy and carefree just a week or so ago.

I am probably not helping with your despair. But it does help to talk it out. Be sure to balance your live. Take some time off the internet. Turn off the news. If you can, take a car ride. Pack a lunch. Or a walk. Whatever helps.
Peace and Love
Same to you.

And I agree about the commercials. All seems so out of reach. And out of touch from advertisers.

Trump calls NBC's Peter Alexander a "terrible reporter" when asked message to Americans | ABC News

"Asked about their message to Americans who might feel scared amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Pres. Trump and Vice Pres. Mike Pence had very different responses for NBC's Peter Alexander"

Coronavirus: Military cuts training, recruiting, travel; stress rises

The coronavirus pandemic is stressing the military’s ability to keep its troops ready to fight as 124 service members, their families and civilian workers had contracted the disease as of Friday and the Pentagon seeks to halt its spread.

The Pentagon has canceled or curtailed major war-training exercises, quarantined thousands of troops, closed recruiting centers and slapped limits on foreign and domestic travel. One former Pentagon official said the virus could degrade everything from maintenance of warplanes to troops' effectiveness in combat.

[...]
  • Training has been canceled or cut back. The Air Force scrapped Red Flag in Alaska, a training exercise for top-gun combat pilots, Gen. David Goldfein, the Air Force chief of staff, told reporters Wednesday. The Army is altering operations at bases that prepare troops for combat to accommodate National Guard units needed in their states for relief operations. War games in Europe, Africa and at sea have been cut back or scrapped.
  • At least 67 troops in the U.S. and abroad as of Friday have been diagnosed with COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus. In Europe, 2,600 troops and civilian employees are quarantined as a precaution.
  • The Army is shuttering its recruiting centers across the country, moving to online efforts only. It has also reduced the number of recruits in training centers by 50%, said Gen. James McConville, the Army chief of staff. Six recruits have shown possible symptoms, he said.
  • Foreign and domestic travel for troops and their family members has been banned or severely restricted until mid-May.
[...]

Peace and Love

Mama of a high school senior here. She's homeschooled, so not as many milestones as some to miss out on, but these kids were born during 9/11 and now this. It sucks.

Coronavirus updates: New York mayor declares city 'epicenter'

Wall Street took another dive Friday as the Dow Jones Industrial Average sunk by 916 points and saw 18 percent of its value disappear over the course of the week.

The Dow saw all the gains made since President Donald Trump took office erased.

Also in New York City, the suspended presidential campaign of former Mayor Michael Bloomberg told staffers Friday there was a confirmed case of COVID-19 at its Times Square headquarters, a campaign official confirmed to NBC News.

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said Friday evening the city has 5,151 coronavirus cases and 29 deaths associated with the virus. "We are now the epicenter of this crisis" in the United States, he said.

In California the number of cases, more than 1,000, has doubled in three days. Los Angeles County, the nation's most populous, reported it now has a total of 292 cases.

There are now more than 250,000 confirmed cases of the coronavirus around the world, according to Johns Hopkins University.

[...]

The first of two patients to test positive for the novel coronavirus in Montgomery County, Kentucky, has fully recovered and is out of isolation, officials said Tuesday.

"The individual was quick to follow all guidelines for isolation from other people by following quarantine guidelines at home," the Montgomery County Health Department announced Tuesday. "They also cooperated fully with health officials to identify anyone who might be at risk from close contact."

The patient, a 56-year-old man, was taken out of isolation following at least seven days since his symptoms first appeared and at least three days since those symptoms ended, which follows federal guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

[This story is being provided for free to our readers during the coronavirus outbreak. Consider supporting local journalism by subscribing to The Courier Journal at courier-journal.com/specialoffer/.]

The Montgomery County Health Department, based in Mount Sterling, said additional details about the patient cannot be released due to medical privacy laws.

The state epidemiologist and county health department staff contacted everyone who was in close contact with the patient during the period he was contagious to inform them they may have been exposed and to ask if they have experienced any symptoms.

Oh please please rethink that. The melatonin isn't prescribed for sleep - it's prescribed for LUNG FUNCTION (sorry for the all caps). MELATONIN (just so others see it) does something to boost the resiliency of the lungs. I have the article somewhere (there's more than one). It either boosts a receptor or acts in another way to HELP THE LUNGS. It's not about sleep!!!!

This is not the information that has been provided to me by my doctors. I have insomnia and they have me taking melatonin as a supplement for it.

Mama of a high school senior here. She's homeschooled, so not as many milestones as some to miss out on, but these kids were born during 9/11 and now this. It sucks.
Something good will come out of this, imo. Perhaps your daughter’s generation will gain perspective.
I bet you’re glad she doesn’t attend public schools, since so many kids are possibly asymptomatic. You prob’ have a better idea where your daughter has been. Good luck

I always liked this old time saying... "Worrying is just suffering, in advance".

It could be perfectly fine. There could be a treatment by then. It’s so hard, I know. But maybe it helps not to worry about things that have not happened. And may not happen. And are far off.

Enough to fret about in the present right?

Thank you for your offer! These are her current meds
Enrofloxacin 136 mg. 1.5 pills daily
Rimadyl 100 mg 1 pill daily
Melatonin 3 mg 1 pill nightly
She is so loopy from the pain med, I don’t plan to give her Melatonin tonight. I think being in my quiet little house is going to be so much less stressful, that she isn’t going to need it.

Her skin smells but they said it isn’t anything to be worried about. It looks painful and she twitches in her sleep like it hurts. My daughter said it smells like a yeast infection that dogs get. She also brought home some organic skin treatment to sprinkle on her food. I suspect my daughter will get the nutrition/food narrowed down to something better. (My daughter is studying to get into vet school.)

My daughter works for DogPerfect as the Food Dept Mgr. The state inspectors came in today and deemed them an essential business because they sell fresh foods for dogs. They told her that all non essential businesses will be shuttered this weekend. (SW FL)

The melatonin isn't for sleep - it is for itchy skin. One of my pups came to me so completely hairless that we weren't sure what kind of dog he is. Melatonin plus plus apoquel keeps him just perfect, but if he doesn't get both he scratches and bites at himself until he starts losing hair again.

(Tried to upload before and after but it won't work. He's a long-hair chihuahua)

ETA It worked, it just looked like it didn't!

Attachments

• 20200320_201338.jpg
    20200320_201338.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Attach8571_20190305_104948.jpg
    Attach8571_20190305_104948.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 38
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online