**POLL** How much is being done in your city to flatten the curve? (COVID-19)

How much is your city doing to flatten the curve?

• Nothing yet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some closures, recommending social distancing

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • Many closures and required social distancing

Votes: 46 61.3%
  • We are locked-down, unable to leave home

Votes: 14 18.7%

• Total voters

ChatteringBirds

Reaction score
Poll above. As of the March 21/ 22 weekend, what are you experiencing in your community designed to help "flatten the curve?"

Many closures and orders to stay 6 feet apart but people are ignoring and there is no enforcement. Schools are closed but kids are playing in groups on the school playgrounds and parents are allowing it. Teens are playing basketball in the parks and at the schools and again, parents are allowing it.

Many closures and orders to stay 6 feet apart but people are ignoring and there is no enforcement. Schools are closed but kids are playing in groups on the school playgrounds and parents are allowing it. Teens are playing basketball in the parks and at the schools and again, parents are allowing it.

Wow! This is scary! Also, talk about irresponsible parenting!

My region (similar in function to the UK counties) were the first to close the hospital wards to visitors, and the five municipalities also closed their residential homes to visitors, on March 10, as soon as the first case of Covid-19 was diagnosed here. Many events have been cancelled, and people have been recommended not to do any unnecessary travel. People have also been recommended to stay at home if they have any symptoms of infections.

I saw two neighbors chatting it up yesterday and one coughed on the other, basically.

I saw a hair salon open yesterday too. Even though it’s not supposed to be.

The Anaheim Public library is mandating that it’s workers come in and do drive thru book exchanges with customers including renting them media and taking money. So they’re going to be close enough to the customer to get infected if someone coughs. And people do. All the other library systems are on lockdown.

Such inconsistency.

We are supposed to stay at home unless in essential work OR going to an outdoor space to hike OR to the doctor, pharmacy, vet or grocery store.

Only smaller markets have much on the shelves, but I expect that to get better. Food banks still have food but are working out procedures to remain open.

It's very quiet, nearly everyone is obeying. There was that rush on the stores, but the grocery store parking lots are pretty empty now. Only 1 new case in the last 48 hours but we're braced for it to get worse. It only arrived here about a week ago.

Fortunately, we shut down the schools right about the same time, no evidence that it has gone community here.

Parks and playgrounds are closed by me... not sure how they are enforcing it, but the school district who has been closed for over a week now emailed and said to stay off the property and playground equipment.

I went to a grocery store and was stopped at the door for my forehead to be scanned before I was allowed in. All employees wore masks and gloves.

just thinking immediately local-
Our city has set up homeless shelters in closed school gyms to ease the overcrowding in regular shelters and provide washing/showering facilities

Parks Are open/ playgrounds closed (not sure how successful that will be,weather dependent)

All city buildings closed, community meetings/gatherings canceled
participation to public govt meetings via technology/phone

Several local charity/non profits are doing different things

Small businesses (our city has seen a boom of these in recent years) are pushing the order online/pick up options- from food to antiques
City govt has something going on with small biz loans , not sure of details

Maybe encouraging social distancing in
general ( some people get it. Some don’t)

closure of bars/restaurants(statewide/plus state of Emergency )

Limiting Of visitors In hospitals/facilities

Last edited:
Our grocery stores have seniors only at the beginning of each day, they allow only 15 shoppers in the stores at once, limits are on all items to prevent hoarding, mandatory 2 metre physical distancing, shopping carts are cleaned with spray stuff, shoppers must sanitize their hands, clerks wear gloves, no cloth bags allowed, but you can wheel your groceries unbagged to your car and package them up there, huge sign on door warning returning snowbirds that 14 day isolation is mandatory.

Western PA here..all non essential businesses shut down. My husband works in printing labels..he is a highly technical computer expert for them
Has to carry papers in car showing that his company is allowed to work. This is NOT required but company wants to be proactive as fines are supposed to be enacted for non essential places. His company has orders in the millions for labels for meats, produce, jars, etc. A product without a label can NOT be sold on grocery shelves. I want him home, but he has to work. PA has been proactive in closing places.

There's a state of emergency here but people seem to have issues with following protocols like this one:

Avoid non-essential gatherings and stay home as much as possible.

Yesterday I saw groups of people at the sports park playing well, sports. And just in the few seconds driving by, I saw many violating the social-distancing guidelines. We had to go to the vet and pick up meds, otherwise we would not have been out.

One of the local grocery stores posted pleading with people to stop bringing their kids and friends grocery shopping. I understand but I don't know what they think some people are going to do with their kids - they're out of school and many are single parent homes and the parents need groceries. Even those who had regualr babysitters can't use that option now.

I'm confused on whether I should be going for my daily walk. I'm alone and step 6 ft. away when I come across anyone but is it considered essential? Idk.

Last edited:
Our grocery stores have seniors only at the beginning of each day, they allow only 15 shoppers in the stores at once, limits are on all items to prevent hoarding, mandatory 2 metre physical distancing, shopping carts are cleaned with spray stuff, shoppers must sanitize their hands, clerks wear gloves, no cloth bags allowed, but you can wheel your groceries unbagged to your car and package them up there, huge sign on door warning returning snowbirds that 14 day isolation is mandatory.

Is there a risk with cloth bags? Is it to protect the clerk, or do customers bag their own items there?

There's a state of emergency here but people seem to have issues with following protocols like this one:

Avoid non-essential gatherings and stay home as much as possible.

Yesterday I saw groups of people at the sports park playing well, sports. And just in the few seconds driving by, I saw many violating the social-distancing guidelines. We had to go to the vet and pick up meds, otherwise we would not have been out.

One of the local grocery stores posted pleading with people to stop bringing their kids and friends grocery shopping. I understand but I don't know what they think some people are going to do with their kids - they're out of school and many are single parent homes and the parents need groceries. Even those who had regualr babysitters can't use that option now.

I'm confused on whether I should be going for my daily walk. I'm alone and step 6 ft. away when I come across anyone but is it considered essential? Idk.

I think taking your walk is essential, for your physical and mental health. If we try hard to keep that distance from others, I think our risk while outside walking (of being infected or infecting others) is very low.

I can’t provide a link because our mayor makes his announcements on FB. Back story is our state’s governor has done next to nothing as far as direction. Yesterday, our flea market, which is held in a HUGE inside venue, went on as per usual. The parking lot was packed. Many people took video and the fact the owner of the building allowed it to go forward really maddened our mayor. Last night he signed an executive shelter in place order, establishing non essential businesses to close for two weeks and a curfew was put in place. My hat is off to the mayor who stepped up to the plate that our governor is refusing to do. This morning, the governor held a prayer and scripture moment on FB live but zero on what the state is doing to combat the virus. It is surreal!

I live in MI. We took a ride through and area that is all parks, Hines Park. There were so many people out. Most were following a 6ft rule. Except for a huge group of young people and kid playing a family/friends baseball game. Must have been 25 of them. Sharing bats, balls....and Covid 19. I hope not.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back