Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM. The Gov is likely trying to respect the separation of church and state. Church leadership should make the decisions.

Cardinal Blase Cupich announced Friday that Mass will be suspended in all churches starting Saturday evening, the most rigid restrictions since the 1918-19 Spanish flu epidemic, but churches may remain open for those seeking private prayer. Cupich encouraged parishes with the ability to broadcast Mass online to do so, as priests traditionally say a daily Mass even without a congregation.
Chicago-area religious leaders including Cardinal Cupich suspend services but Catholics offer online Mass, close schools to contain coronavirus
This is a public health emergency. We have extensive evidence from multiple countries that this is a toxic scenario. Shame on him....this is no time for silliness. People will die and he will be responsible.

Can he not find a place to stay locally to keep his job? If he doesn't show up for work, choosing to leave the country between shifts - knowing that he will be blocked, might not fly.
Thankfully he works as a drilling engineer for a major company that does international oil and gas. Thankfully they will continue to pay his salary. He’s blessed that the company has been so generous for the time being.

I think our urge to connect is very strong. And the urge to connect around some shared faith or belief is even stronger. It is how we survived as a species. JMO.

And it's getting to be Easter time for many. A very happy holiday associated with springtime and children and animals and candy and flowers. Tradition is a strong bond, too, even for the non-religious.

Many of us survive just fine without those things. Many people are fine with the beliefs they share with their ancestors or immediate families and feel no need to congregate. In fact, there's some evidence that there's a gene for religiosity (how often people wish to get together in social manners to practice something related to belief).

Gods, Gains, and Genes

In this case, the less social people will survive longer (if Hardy-Weinberg and Darwin are correct).

Mortality rates worldwide will go up this year, though, and not just because of the virus. There will be unmeasurable side effects (people dying due to lack of saline solution or whatever) of this virus, they will be estimated of course.

The flaw in this is that it's mostly people 50 and older who are dying (so they've already contributed their genes - except for men, but that effect might be measure, as 50 year old men are dying). Now we're seeing more 30- and 40 somethings die in the US than what seems to have happened in China. Still, not too much evolutionary effect.

But in the past, pandemics have definitely wiped out the more social, it's part of what we mean when we say "socially transmitted" diseases.

Anyone who is filing for unemployment, stay up late, and file on the literal stroke of midnight tonight. I am not sure if states are waiving a waiting week or not.

I am sure that when people start filing, systems are going to overwhelm.

I am from NC - our state has waived the week waiting period. Impacted by the coronavirus? How to file for unemployment in N.C.

Thank you for the links that you share - it saves me so much time - I know I can come here and get good updates in one location.

I think US is already an epicentre. And we are still not testing even if people have symptoms, with some cities even saying you don't need a test unless you are close to dying. So we clearly have many more people who are infected than the official numbers show.

I completely agree, but testing doesn't reflect that. It's issues like this that have resulted in many people foolishly partying and thinking it will not effect them. I'm afraid for what might come in the next couple of weeks.

#China state media report a Chinese vaccine is being tested on humans. Volunteers from the epicenter Wuhan between ages of 18-60 have received the injection. (#China has indicated it wants to win the global race for a #coronavirus vaccine.) 微博
Eunice Yoon on Twitter

They certainly have all the information they need to develop a vaccine - let's hope it works!

ATLANTA

29 persons have been released from the Fulton County Jail system since Friday. These were inmates with release dates whose files were evaluated by jail staff to determine whether the defendants were eligible to get out of jail early. This is a measure to mitigate overcrowding. Fulton Sheriff PIO on Twitter
Fulton Sheriff PIO on Twitter

How many cases do you think Toyota factory has? We have 8k+ FT, plus all the contract work force.
Compare the states of Kentucky and Tennessee. Kentucky’s governor has been very proactive with social distancing orders, Tennessee’s has not.

Cases are skyrocketing in Tennessee and rising very slowly in Kentucky. Social distancing works.

Yes, as is Ohio. KY gov’ sugarcoats.....he begins his daily PC with nonsense. We get about 20 minutes of “we are the best state, we will get through this, we are KY strong....blah blah & blah.” No one wants to hear irrelevant jabber, we are tuned in for stats. When he gets to those we get the “these aren’t true numbers, lab probs, blah blah.” All paraphrased by me but you get the point. Fortunately, people talk so word spreads, what he’s not telling many of us know. Lol local county officials do not get elected for keeping their lips zipped! Not in my county and the next one over, at least. But, it will catch up with Gov’. One day the numbers will drastically jump, he’s said as much, he’s priming us up.
Michigan is much more transparent than Florida!!

I heard one RT say the prongs on the crown poke holes into the lungs, then adheres. Sounds like a tick or leech.
This respiratory therapist treats coronavirus in New Orleans. He says the virus is a lot worse than you think.

This is a very scary article: the respiratory therapist has pretty much seen everything with respect to the lungs but he states he
has never seen so much damage to lungs from an organism (virus)
until now. It is so frightening. I wish I hadn't read it.

NEXTSTRAIN

Thanks to incredible #opendata sharing by @UWVirology @kaimrc_ksa & @GISAID, we've updated auspice with the first #COVID19 #SARSCoV2 #hCoV19 sequence from Saudi Arabia & 24 new sequences from Washington!

Interestingly, the Saudi seq is near 1 of the new WA seqs.
Nextstrain on Twitter

Nextstrain on Twitter
?s=19

20 of the WA seqs cluster in the large WA cluster (large red circles, left).
Another 3 (large red circles, right) cluster with previous WA sequences in a group of mostly European seqs (with a few from Utah). Nextstrain on Twitter

Nextstrain on Twitter

Many of us survive just fine without those things. Many people are fine with the beliefs they share with their ancestors or immediate families and feel no need to congregate. In fact, there's some evidence that there's a gene for religiosity (how often people wish to get together in social manners to practice something related to belief).

Gods, Gains, and Genes

In this case, the less social people will survive longer (if Hardy-Weinberg and Darwin are correct).

Mortality rates worldwide will go up this year, though, and not just because of the virus. There will be unmeasurable side effects (people dying due to lack of saline solution or whatever) of this virus, they will be estimated of course.

The flaw in this is that it's mostly people 50 and older who are dying (so they've already contributed their genes - except for men, but that effect might be measure, as 50 year old men are dying). Now we're seeing more 30- and 40 somethings die in the US than what seems to have happened in China. Still, not too much evolutionary effect.

But in the past, pandemics have definitely wiped out the more social, it's part of what we mean when we say "socially transmitted" diseases.
Yes. Was just explaining why some people will go to church or other gatherings despite what they know is the self-preservation route. The Hardy-Weinberg principle doesn't exactly apply here, but Darwin does, and I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justice is coming