Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a week long freak out , the sky is falling, everyone is dead , and so on and so forth . It got pretty ugly I got off the couch and showered yesterday , so YES! right there with you!

It was only two weeks ago that people were using the phrase "henny penny" to describe those who were already afraid. This has happened fast, and we all need to get used to the new normal. It's difficult for most.

Not trying to be critical but the PA govenor only put stay at home orders with business closures for SOME PA counties. WHY???? Please please just shut down the whole state- why piece meal this? He also extended school closures 2 more weeks just shut for the school year. Maybe I am paranoid but this to me is NOT a time to half$@@ anything!

When DH went out to get the mail, he saw that one of our snowbird neighbors has returned. He was supposed to stay in FL through the end of the month but returned early due to conditions there. I saw another neighbor's daughter outside yesterday and (from the front porch) asked her how her snowbird parents are doing. They went to FL in mid-January and will be home mid-April.

So now, instead of the beach or parks, they all get in their boats and go to the sandbars off shore. There’s just no cure for stupid. They need to shut the marinas to all but essential boating (commercial fisherman).

On break time here...yeah when I saw that, I thought, "Pure genius, closing the state parks."

Apparently they forgot that a number of non-state parks connect to the state parks.

T Mabry Carlton Reserve has trails that lead through the Myakka Prairie into the Myakka State Park just south of Clark Rd.

Scherer Thaxton in Nokomis has a trail that leads through the rear of Oscar Scherer State Park.

What's to stop a hiker or bicyclist from passing through that boundary dividing the parks?

And the trail from the Scherer Thaxton parking lot to the rear of Oscar Scherer is like 2 miles at most - not far to hike at all, have done it many times myself.

Carlton - there's always a lot of people there on weekends, even those not taking part in programs.

Yes Sir, pure genius.

ITALY

Total cases: 63,927
New cases: +4,789
Total deaths: 6,077
New deaths: +601

Coronavirus Update (Live): 367,003 Cases and 16,102 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

View attachment 239988

View attachment 239989

ETA: have they peaked?

I think Italy peaked, plateaued and is now going to head down the other side of that gradient. It could mean as many as 500 deaths a day for another week. It could mean 10,000 deaths total (or more, because there could be another hot spot - hopefully their newer measures will help).

New York is going exponential as we type and read this.

Violations of the order can be treated as a class C misdemeanor, punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a $1,250 fine.

The ones not abiding should be held accountable!!! But idk if this will scare them.. States are freeing inmates and people are losing jobs.... No jail and no money.... Maybe they should come up with another plan that will hold them accountable but also help in this pandemic!... Just a thought

Sadly, the numbers now suggest the U.S. is poised to take the lead in #coronavirus cases. It’s reasonable to plan for the US to top the list of countries with the most cases in approximately 1 week. This does NOT make social intervention futile. It makes it imperative!

Thomas P. Bossert on Twitter

CSO@TrinityCyber; national security analyst@ABC; former Homeland Security & Counterterrorism

"April will be worse than March, May will be worse than April: Breakdown"

Experts@DrJAshtonand@TomBossert break down timeline, social distancing rules and more of what you need to know about COVID-19.

Good Morning America on Twitter

Coronavirus map: Tracking the spread in the US and around the world

Sadly, people who have watched the situation in the US over the last 6 weeks have been predicting that the US would be the next epicentre. First China, then Italy, next US.

I guess I need help understanding this.
Wouldn't it be better to keep them locked up and contained, INSIDE, as we as non-prisoner citizens are being told to do ??
I mean, we were just ordered a "Stay-Home-Order from our Governor.
They want us to stay home, to help contain it, yet they want to release more people out to the public who most, I am sure, have no place to go ??
I am just not understanding this thought process at all.
Heaven help us !!
They dont have resources to treat them if they get sick...

SEATTLE....OUR HEROES

It’s official. @seattleflustudy has shifted focus to supporting public health response to #COVID19 to launch SCAN for home based swab collection. @trvrb @lea_starita @JShendure @famulare_mike @debnick60 Jan Englund Michael Boeckh @mjonasrieder @UWMedicine
Helen Chu on Twitter

New #COVID19 study launching from the amazing folks @seattleflustudy and @KCPubHealth! The SCAN study will help public health leaders track the spread of #SARSCoV2 in #Seattle. It will test symptomatic AND asymptomatic people.
Kira Newman, MD, PhD on Twitter
Greater Seattle Coronavirus Assessment Network (SCAN)
#seattlecovid19 @HelenChuMD

At the university here, 5 students/faculty have tested positive. Classes were cancelled on March 13 and today is the last day to collect personal possessions by appointment - full closure this afternoon. There's a new option for final grades. Students can choose the grade they are assigned, or, if it's low because of the change to online teaching, they can opt for credit/fail and no grade is factored into their GPA. That seems reasonable. Everyone is on full salary until the institution opens again, and encouraged to get the job done rather than count hours - meaning work fewer hours if it's enough to get the job done.

Exactly. A one or two time check is not going to do it. Sweeping measures regarding government back-up of "the little guy" should include both pay-outs and zero percent loans. But that's not enough either. The government needs to guarantee 3 months of payment toward housing - otherwise we'll have homeless crisis on top of everything else.

Crime is already going up. The bills should have been done stepwise (and with the two branches cooperating - they used to). But hopefully the eventual bill will be slightly more "little guy" friendly, as that seems to be the goal of the dissenting Senators.
Actually the senate was working bipartisan, until the 2 house leaders came back after their vacation.

Tensions flare on Senate floor as coronavirus bill derailed for second time by Dem objections

I see all these media reports of releasing non violent prisoners. This makes me wonder how this is the best solution. They’ll integrate with the homeless population more than any other group. Their families are likely isolating so it’s not like they can just go home. They have zero income. It would seem logical to me to put that group, if they truly want to reduce the prisoner population, in a temporary tent city on prison grounds. We don’t have “the ability to treat them in prison” can’t be the reason they’re released. We don’t have the ability to treat them as a member of the community either. I’m just trying to wrap my head around why this is the best solution. In my opinion, it’s not.

I see all these media reports of releasing non violent prisoners. This makes me wonder how this is the best solution. They’ll integrate with the homeless population more than any other group. Their families are likely isolating so it’s not like they can just go home. They have zero income. It would seem logical to me to put that group, if they truly want to reduce the prisoner population, in a temporary tent city on prison grounds. We don’t have “the ability to treat them in prison” can’t be the reason they’re released. We don’t have the ability to treat them as a member of the community either. I’m just trying to wrap my head around why this is the best solution. In my opinion, it’s not.
The states do not have the resources to treat them when they get it....notice I said when. It is a prime environment for the virus....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member