Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called all the Publix stores yesterday and none have TP - each said people lined up and waited for the deliveries - my Aldi had limits on canned goods (4) and dry beans and rice (2) - no eggs and none of the items most seem to be looking for (paper products /cleaning ) - and no bottled water which I find odd. Why the run on bottled water? Our local utilities are just fine - not sure why people think they need this - it’s not a hurricane
JMO

People should always keep bottled water on hand in case of an emergency. 2 gallons per person per day per a reasonable number of days based on intelligent calculations for the situation you may be facing. Right now, your utilities are operating uninterrupted. What happens if it becomes interrupted due to a shortage of workers, or an unforeseen weather event on top of the pandemic ? If you think you can just run to the store and water will be available in a worse case scenario, just look at your difficulty finding toilet paper. And you can survive indefinitely without toilet paper...you can only survive for 3 days without water.

The four towns in my remote valley just had power restored ten minutes ago after a 3-hour outage. It's windy today but nothing extreme, but apparently up on the mountain that separates us from the rest of the world, a tree blew down and interrupted service. It happens sometimes.

But -- the virus hasn't really gotten here yet. What if that outage had happened a month from now and 2/3 of the power company crews are out sick? Our outage could easily have lasted a lot longer.

I agree we should all be prepared.

People should always keep bottled water on hand in case of an emergency. 2 gallons per person per day per a reasonable number of days based on intelligent calculations for the situation you may be facing. Right now, your utilities are operating uninterrupted. What happens if it becomes interrupted due to a shortage of workers, or an unforeseen weather event on top of the pandemic ? If you think you can just run to the store and water will be available in a worse case scenario, just look at your difficulty finding toilet paper. And you can survive indefinitely without toilet paper...you can only survive for 3 days without water.

We have a 'beverage closet' in DH's office. I also keep drinking water frozen in the deep freeze. It will keep the food colder in an emergency, and then we can drink it.

We have a 'beverage closet' in DH's office. I also keep drinking water frozen in the deep freeze. It will keep the food colder in an emergency, and then we can drink it.
I keep frozen water bottles as well and use my own filtered water in my glass bottles - usually have at least 8-10 gallons chilled between all my fridges in my glass bottles (re-use glass bottles other beverages come in like sparkling lemonade etc) I’ve been doing this for years - they self seal so they are perfect - apparently this is unusual I’m learning - which is why I couldn’t understand why there is no bottled water (in addition to all the other items we seem to have a shortage of) I also reuse soda bottles, vinegar jugs, etc with tap water and keep a lot of them filled up during hurricane season for washing dishes (heat up on grill) etc

I keep frozen water bottles as well and use my own filtered water in my glass bottles - usually have at least 8-10 gallons chilled between all my fridges in my glass bottles (re-use glass bottles other beverages come in like sparkling lemonade etc) I’ve been doing this for years - they self seal so they are perfect - apparently this is unusual I’m learning - which is why I couldn’t understand why there is no bottled water (in addition to all the other items we seem to have a shortage of) I also reuse soda bottles, vinegar jugs, etc with tap water and keep a lot of them filled up during hurricane season for washing dishes (heat up on grill) etc
Good ideas. I am going to fill my empty juice bottles with tap water (just in case).

West Texas Report - Same overall food and paper products shortages. There are now shortages of coffee, laundry and dishwasher soaps, and dog food.....Less people out on the streets at any given time and lots of self distancing......We are all well here in all ways......Stay safe out there, folks......moo

Well, I will say this. A John's Hopkins dr has said worse case scenario for this is 2.3 million dead, best is thousands and it never returns. Now,
Look outside your windows today, especially for those in states that hav already somewhat locked down. You tell me based on what your seeing locally which will it be? Are people heeding them or just eh, whatever, can't hurt me (nanna nanna boo boo)?
I'm convinced we'll be answering to cows when this is all done, if people dont start listening.....
Luckys fever free

A senior couple I know showed up at 7am this morning to shop at Kroger during senior hour.

There was a line about 50 deep, everyone failing to keep even a few feet away from others.

A cop was observing from his car. About 1/8th of the shoppers were young people, some with kids.

The Kroger employee did her best to inform them about senior hour, and dissuade the young shoppers from entering, but they ignored her and pushed on by.

I think they might need to check IDs, or invite the police officer to join an employee at the door.imo

How infuriating.
But really how are we going to enforce the rules. All of us who really understand and care for others will self govern.
All those who don't understand or care about anybody but themselves won't.
And that therein lies the problem.
Just like the spring breakers, perfect example.
The only thing I can see is swift and harsh punishment for the breakers of the rules.
I don't see how to implement that.
Its a conundrum.

My Acme this morning during senior hours was pretty empty of shoppers. It has been raining very hard and is cold out today so for me it was the perfect time to go out as I think the weather deterred a lot of people. This was our first interaction with others since Wednesday so we are thankful we don’t have to go to a busy store.

Not one child was in Acme during senior hours which was good. I saw a lot of other seniors with surgical face masks and everyone was social distancing except my cashier who got too close to me and my cart to scan the items from the bottom of my cart. I had to jump out of the way and brush past her and stood 6 feet from her. She kept clearing her throat which made me more nervous.

The Dollar General clerk was so pissed off at every one and every thing and kept repeating under his breath how he couldn’t wait to get out of there and go home.

I am done personally interacting with society for now.

To extend what we have I took leftover hobo potatoes added a little bit of chorizo some eggs and leftover queso from fajita night and made breakfast tacos for dinner. Going to have to venture out this weekend for some fresh produce, hopefully the stores have some. In SE TX I can’t get my squash, onions, or potatoes to last more than 2 weeks on the counter. I turn the AC up during the day when we aren’t here and my counter produce just falls apart. Not a lot of room in the fridge, although more than usual I guess. Looking up recipes that let me freeze leftovers. My MIL has good luck freezing mashed potatoes when she uses cream cheese and sour cream in them, same for fettuccine Alfredo with cream cheese. Hopefully I can get some cream cheese to substitute for heavy cream. Should keep longer.

My AquaRain filter will make 3 gallons of potable drinking water in roughly 3 hours. We should be able to take pool/rain water, boil it on the grill and then run it through the filter. In theory we don’t need to boil it, but our hurricane plan has always been to boil it just to be sure. It makes really good filtered water and we use it year round. When I started doing the math for how much bottled water I would need for prep for a hurricane for potentially 8 people it was pretty easy. If it doesn’t rain it can be issue but we have a 16K gallon swimming pool in the backyard I can use as backup water source.

West Texas Report - Same overall food and paper products shortages. There are now shortages of coffee, laundry and dishwasher soaps, and dog food.....Less people out on the streets at any given time and lots of self distancing......We are all well here in all ways......Stay safe out there, folks......moo
Black Rifle coffee company is still advertising, I would recommend it for mail order coffee. I bought stuff to make homemade laundry and dishwasher soap. It works, sort of. Not sure how limited the ingredients are. Borax, washing soda, fels Naptha, Citric acid, kosher salt to make all of it. Went through a phase, it didn’t work very well but the phase was recent enough I still have all the parts. As far as dog food goes, now sure how Chewy is doing recently but that’s my go to.

I have enough to survive on for some weeks here in Fort Wayne. I don't want to venture out to mega store like WalMart, I went to one over a week ago and honestly it was to see what they had that I could grab, I limited myself to $30 to spend as I did not want to spend any more time there than I had to and I really didn't need a whole lot. First time I've been to a WalMart in a long time, I try to hit up Meijer and Kroger for the basics, but...

Far as I'm concerned "buy local" is where it's at, and a lot of small businesses around here like Asian markets, meat markets, stores which sell Mexican and other Hispanic foods, and other "ethnic" places are open. My favorite Asian market (they're from Burma) has my favorite instant pho noodles, they're a buck a piece and are good and fairly healthy. Nothing like garbage ramen noodles. The Asian market also has toilet paper and other basics in stock, LOL.

I snack on pho noodle packs, usually one per day (especially lately with this virus going around :)), which people may put a little meat in it or even kimchi, too. Or whatever with it. Veggies, etc. I like to roast or pan fry some pork, or use pork loin leftovers.

These are cheap, or you may get some that are a little more elaborate but which use the same type of rice noodles. I really like the rice noodles, they're light and hit the spot.

Vifon Chicken Flavor Instant Rice Noodles (Pho Ga) 2.1 oz, 24-Bags (3-Packs)

For those who missed it (I know I had), as per Amazon, Whole Foods is getting in on senior hour also:

Amazon’s actions to help customers, communities, and employees affected by COVID-19

Whole Foods Market is temporarily adjusting store hours to accommodate those identified as among the most vulnerable to COVID-19, according to health authorities. Customers who are age 60 and over in the U.S. and Canada, and age 70 and over in the UK, are invited to shop beginning one hour before the store opens to the general public under the store’s new adjusted hours (example: if a store’s new hours are 9 a.m. – 8 p.m., customers who are age 60 and over can shop starting at 8 a.m.). We are setting aside this time to help these customers feel more comfortable shopping our stores and to help ensure they are able to get the items they need in a less crowded environment. March 18, 2020.

To extend what we have I took leftover hobo potatoes added a little bit of chorizo some eggs and leftover queso from fajita night and made breakfast tacos for dinner. Going to have to venture out this weekend for some fresh produce, hopefully the stores have some. In SE TX I can’t get my squash, onions, or potatoes to last more than 2 weeks on the counter. I turn the AC up during the day when we aren’t here and my counter produce just falls apart. Not a lot of room in the fridge, although more than usual I guess. Looking up recipes that let me freeze leftovers. My MIL has good luck freezing mashed potatoes when she uses cream cheese and sour cream in them, same for fettuccine Alfredo with cream cheese. Hopefully I can get some cream cheese to substitute for heavy cream. Should keep longer.

Onions and potatoes need to be stored far away from each other because onions produce a gas that makes potatoes spoil. Potatoes need to be stored in the dark, onions do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anicechicken