Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have compassion for all New Yorkers but they are getting the majority of all testing, PPE, etc. while the rest of the country is doing without. So while Covid is boiling over there he wants dibs on everything first and then those in other states who aren't dead yet can have their turn.

I used to live in NY but havent been back in a long time. Ive been very impressed with their Governor jumping all over the Virus crisis as some other states Governors were not taking much action at all in the beginning

The one thing I do recall the most is how the Governor worked to get the CDC out of the way and to get permission to do their own in state testing themselves. So I think at least for the testing kits, its their own hard work and arrangements that allowed them to do so much testing now. Other governers could have worked hard on this and done the same thing but so many other states did practically nothing except continue to send the original kits that only showed "presumptive postive" and then the states had to send the test back to the CDC before they could declare a positive.

I had mentioned a long time ago that until the CDC gets out of the way and until states can do a test themselves and get a plain Yes or No answer themselves, then it would continue to be a huge issue for other states. NY realized the same thing and has gotten past that by their hard work to make it happen. At least for the testing part.

I have compassion for all New Yorkers but they are getting the majority of all testing, PPE, etc. while the rest of the country is doing without. So while Covid is boiling over there he wants dibs on everything first and then those in other states who aren't dead yet can have their turn.

Respectfully, he just said that there are 25,000 Cases here versus much lower numbers elsewhere

I think, respectfully, that this is backwards reasoning. NY knows they have so many cases BECAUSE they tested so many. California or several other states may have similar numbers of cases, but without large-scale testing how are they to know? MOO

Just my opinion here, but the more I look at the data, I really do believe we’re dealing with at least two different strains - which is leading to a lot of uncertainty about what to expect. Italy is currently running at over 8% mortality rate. If true and accurate, it would be several million deaths in US if that’s the strain we’re dealing with.

Two strains would confuse all the data - they may have separate R0’s, different ways of transmission, present differently, different incubation periods, etc....

It would be an absolute nightmare for tracking and projection models.

I think they’re trying to untangle a big mess to see just where we do stand.

I’d also love to see any information that specifically states they have identified antibodies. If no antibodies present, then all recovered may still have the virus, but virus goes into remission.
Too many unknowns, and being fought based on too many ASSUMPTIONS!!

I also have to wonder what threshold is being used to determine acceptable collateral damage. Unfortunately, I believe the reality is that a fairly high percentage of deaths would have to be imminent in order for World Governments to willingly tank the world economy.

I truly believe the US would willingly absorb a certain percentage deaths in order to keep our economy going. I have no idea what that percentage would be, but I would think it would have to be pretty high. China would be even more willing to sacrifice human life for the economy.

With these considerations in mind, it’s still my opinion that there’s more to the story than meets the eye.

Thoughts???
I've not seen one piece of research data that supports multiple strains....not even from Nextstrain who is analyzing the genomes from around the world. They do see multiple introductions, more than 1 patient 0, in Europe and North America.

NY

Gov Cuomo:

23% of the cases in NY are in IC Units now

NY'ers don't have a different immune system from others in nation -

It's higher in NY bc it started here first
bc we have global travelers coming here first
it's bc we have more density than most places
U will see what is happening here will happen in cities all across the country
and suburban communities all across the country

We are just a test case -
and that is how the nation should look at us
What u see here today, is where you will be in 5-6 wks
We are your future
What we do here, will chart the course for what u will do in community

I'm asking u to help NY to help yourselves
Act as One Nation

Last edited:
Italy is running high mortality rate because they have a lot of elderly people, and completely overwhelmed medical system. So a lot of people aren't getting treated. They are specifically reserving ventilators for younger people. So of course they will have a high death rate.
Death rate with treatment is one thing. Death rate without treatment is another.

Attachments

• IMG_20200324_114603.jpg
    IMG_20200324_114603.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 11
These are the states that have implemented stay-at-home orders:
California
Connecticut
Delaware
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Nevada
New Mexico
New Jersey
New York
Ohio
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
City of Atlanta

Let me know of others so I can add when I publish next.

I'm not aware of Virginia being under stay at home orders either. I actually went down there over the weekend to eat in a restaurant and hike, since they haven't closed dine-in restaurants in Virginia like they have in Maryland. I had an entire restaurant to myself for most of the time, then the same at Petco (until someone came in wearing a gas mask as I was leaving). Also went to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. I tried to take my dog hiking in the national park, but it seems everyone in the DMV (DC, MD, VA area) had the same idea, so the park was full and they weren't letting anyone else in. People were parking on the streets for miles to go hiking around the park. They're also waiving park entrance fees right now. Wonder if they're doing that at all national parks...

How many of us knew that the Fed Gov't has a stockpile of 20,000 ventilators?

And that NY needs 30,000 ventilators asap?

And that FEMA just sent NY 400 (yes four-zero-zero) ventilators?

It will be a while before my jaw comes off the floor. JMO!

Stats given from Governor Cuomo, NY live presser..

I'm not aware of Virginia being under stay at home orders either. I actually went down there over the weekend to eat in a restaurant and hike, since they haven't closed dine-in restaurants in Virginia like they have in Maryland. I had an entire restaurant to myself for most of the time, then the same at Petco (until someone came in wearing a gas mask as I was leaving). Also went to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. I tried to take my dog hiking in the national park, but it seems everyone in the DMV (DC, MD, VA area) had the same idea, so the park was full and they weren't letting anyone else in. People were parking on the streets for miles to go hiking around the park. They're also waiving park entrance fees right now. Wonder if they're doing that at all national parks...
Thanks

D.C., Maryland And Virginia Urge Residents To Stay Home, Stop Short Of ‘Shelter-In-Place’ Orders | WAMU

Just my opinion. I know NY has a crazy high population. I'm to the point I think they need to stop all private passenger traffic in and out of the state. I know it's not workable or feasible but they account for roughly half the cases in the entire country. I'm not saying withhold help. I'm saying draw the line.

Another huge issue with my idea is Sloan Kettering. I know people are driving in for life saving treatment.

Help me with a better idea here. Jmo
Florida is proposing exactly that. Any flights from NY to FL will require 14 day quarantine. We'll see if that flies. My understanding is that New Yorkers are driving to all kinds of remote places, grabbing up rentals to get out of the thick of things in the city. Martha's Vinyard, Nantucket, The Hamptons. And we don't say this is a class issue?

And the Florida Keys are totally shutting off incoming traffic. i think that is great for them. They can manage it, since there is only one road in!

WELL SAID...SUMS IT UP....

If Trump and his team take draconian measures with coronavirus, the economy will likely fall into not just a recession, but even a depression. But if they take only half measures, we could see the worst pandemic in US history. | Peter Bergen, @CNNOpinion Trump's painful dilemma (opinion) - CNN
CNN on Twitter

What I see is a whole bunch of people being ignorant and treating this situation as a two week vacation. If draconian measures are needed, we can thank them.

I truly believe the US would willingly absorb a certain percentage deaths in order to keep our economy going. I have no idea what that percentage would be, but I would think it would have to be pretty high. China would be even more willing to sacrifice human life for the economy.

With these considerations in mind, it’s still my opinion that there’s more to the story than meets the eye.

Thoughts???

I'm not Chinese and I don't have friends and family in China so I don't know, but, I would think that the government and wealthy that would be the ones willing to sacrifice lives for the economy. I would think the same with the US - no more no less. Your question about threshold - I'm assuming it all would be based on the stock market. Scary if the ones making the decisions on that matter owned businesses and have major stakes in the global economy. Thinking back to Jimmy Carter selling off his peanut farm...

Anyway, I completely agree that there are possibly 2 or more strains at this point but it's practically impossible to know. Finding the vaccine for COVID has got to be an absolute nightmare. I mean, everything has to be based in assumptions right now, right? That's the exact opposite of how it should be. Terrifying!

@Henry2326
ATHENS, Ga. — Athens-Clark County residents are now under a 24/7 shelter in place order after the mayor and commission unanimously approved an ordinance Thursday night.

The county said the order will last until April 7 "or until it is extended, rescinded, superseded, or amended in writing by the Mayor and Commission."

Athens-Clark County now under mandatory shelter in place order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member