Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone signing up for a CSA this year? Community Supported Agriculture - LocalHarvest

I'm debating on one in case our garden doesn't produce much. We have gotten CSAs in the past, but stopped because it was too much food for us. I was constantly canning, drying and/or freezing veggies, and then we started traveling frequently, meaning we had to give most of our CSA weeks away to friends. Well, we're probably not traveling this year and extra food might not be a bad idea... I want to support my local farmers (a young couple with kids) but I'm sort of worried about what will happen if the CSA owners or share holders get sick with Corona Virus. The farmers come into contact with everyone on the share list while passing out the veggies to a line of people from the back of a box truck every week. Not exactly a good model for social distancing. I wonder if they will change how they pass out the shares?

I wonder if there will even be any farmers' markets this summer? I'm sad just thinking about all those lovely summer veggies in booths at the farmers market and how impossible it is to avoid a crowd there. :(

Did some online stocking up today, we live in hurricane area so it won’t go to waste.

Respectfully snipped for focus.

Can’t think of anything else you’re missing. We have the same list of items except live animals. City ordinances.
Your water filtration system is something I need to check out. Thank you for that info.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Onions and potatoes need to be stored far away from each other because onions produce a gas that makes potatoes spoil. Potatoes need to be stored in the dark, onions do not.

We bought an extra bag of potatoes and my husband put them in a drawer at the bottom of the fridge. We are hoping they stay longer that way. How I miss my grandmothers root cellar!!

Onions and potatoes need to be stored far away from each other because onions produce a gas that makes potatoes spoil. Potatoes need to be stored in the dark, onions do not.
I’m moving my inions now - I’ve always had them in baskets in my walk in pantry - but I need my potatoes to last ! Thanks @Gardenista

I wondered why my potatoes always go bad lounging in the pantry beside the onions.

I’m venturing out for canned goods and frozen juice this morning. I miss the cutoff for senior shopping hours by a year and a half. I wonder if I could show my asthma inhaler and get in early.

I feel like we’re doing early hurricane prep here in SW FL. This is so similar. I filled 2 more 1/2 gallon milk jugs with water and put them in the bottom of my little chest freezer.

My kid is at the grocery store right now. Already 5 text messages & 2 phone calls to ask about substitutions. Zero paper products. Zero frozen stuff. No bottles of juice. Only juice boxes which is fine. That’s what I prefer. They upped the price to $2.99. It’s normally $2.39 and when they go on sale they’re 2/$4. Grrr!!

I’m not begrudging the workers a pay increase. I’m on fixed income, eating from the food bank and can’t afford to stock up. Sometimes, a little box of fruit/veg juice, or a little can of V8, is all I can get in. I’d like to slap every TP hoarder right about now. They can pay the increased prices to help out the workers!

We bought an extra bag of potatoes and my husband put them in a drawer at the bottom of the fridge. We are hoping they stay longer that way. How I miss my grandmothers root cellar!!

Unfortunately, refrigeration is not great for potatoes either, but I would not pull them out. The swing from cold to room temp might really mess them up.

Is anyone signing up for a CSA this year? Community Supported Agriculture - LocalHarvest

I'm debating on one in case our garden doesn't produce much. We have gotten CSAs in the past, but stopped because it was too much food for us. I was constantly canning, drying and/or freezing veggies, and then we started traveling frequently, meaning we had to give most of our CSA weeks away to friends. Well, we're probably not traveling this year and extra food might not be a bad idea... I want to support my local farmers (a young couple with kids) but I'm sort of worried about what will happen if the CSA owners or share holders get sick with Corona Virus. The farmers come into contact with everyone on the share list while passing out the veggies to a line of people from the back of a box truck every week. Not exactly a good model for social distancing. I wonder if they will change how they pass out the shares?

I wonder if there will even be any farmers' markets this summer? I'm sad just thinking about all those lovely summer veggies in booths at the farmers market and how impossible it is to avoid a crowd there. :(
We have a number of farmers locally who have updated their social media and are now selling online. They have produce boxes and meat boxes. It’s pricy but not too bad. They have one place in each county that they bring all the boxes to. You go to that parking lot, pick up your box. No mingling. You place your order on Friday and pick up on Wed. It appears they sell out every week. The local Upick fields are still open - strawberries, peaches, etc.

I have plenty of space to put in a garden and would tend it and give it away. I just don't have the cash flow to bring in the soil and the strength to get it set up. My girlfriends are now discussing how they can help me.

Clever programmer kids, though:

Online toilet paper calculator developed to tell you just how long your supply will last

PS: Thanks to a prior Costco trip, I should be good for 4.5 months :p

Yes, I was "hoarding" TP, before it became vogue. I had purchased 2 packs at Costco, probably at the beginning of the year, they were on sale. So, that is about 36 rolls? We are set.

Yet, when I saw people grabbing two packs at a time, due to restrictions, I almost added 2 more to my cart. I resisted.

Why are people so crazy about toilet paper?

Yep, onions in bowl on counter, potatoes in the pantry. Bought a spaghetti squash that only lasted 4 days before it developed mold spots so the chickens got it. My butternut squash seems to be holding but I’ll need to eat it soon. Harris county issued “Stay at home”. Wonder how crazy shopping will be today, not that I’m going. Going to home brine a brisket for corned beef and then make hash with the leftovers that should extend it to about 10 meals. Hoping they leave me some cabbage.

Do not forget the convenience store staple meal of a bag of Fritos and a can of chili.
Good eatin' right there.

Moving the onions away from the taters. Never again the two shall mingle.

Floral departments should not be located near the fruit in the grocery store. Apples emit a gas that makes the flowers deteriorate faster. From the book Flower Confidential by Amy Stewart.
I have to tell you that as a sheltering in place librarian, "working from home."

Yesterday, a pair of seniors I know went to the early morning "senior hour" at Kroger and experienced a line at the door, crowding and non seniors getting in.

This morning, at 9:30, I went to the same store, no lines, sparse customers, people trying to keep their distance. Plenty of bread, milk, water and everything I needed.

I know that there are so many variables and my experience is just that...my experience at that time in that store.

I guess my message is that every store is different, and the best time for seniors to shop isn't necessarily the scheduled "senior" hour. Jmo

I don’t take my purse/handbag/wallet or cell phone into the grocery store.
Credit card is in a clear plastic baggie which stays in my pocket.
Self checkout.
I don’t take the card completely out of the baggie but just enough to insert into slot for payment.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member