Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We have such a range of different kinds of things that people are willing to provide their neighbors in addition to money and housing and things like that," Medina said. "Things like delivery or child care or some people are artists and say they're willing to do online video chat sessions doing art."

Mutual aid groups are informal networks, set up by volunteers, to match neighbors who need help with the neighbors who can provide it. During the coronavirus pandemic, these groups have been popping up all across Massachusetts.
Neighbors Show Kindness During Coronavirus Crisis

:eek:
Hubby went last week and it was not bad.
I have to venture out tomorrow or Friday to pick up a few things so I am hoping what I need is in stock. I should call before I go LOL... no sense risking going out is they don't have what I am going out for.
I have been inside for 2 weeks now.
I am fortunate to still be able to work from home.
I am just starting to feel cooped in here though and think I will go for a walk in the morning just to get outside.
Glad to hear your local stores are better. Every state differs unfortunately.

Of course we are out pacing Italy, Spain and France, look at the population differences:

France = 66.81 Million
Italy = 60.80 Million
Spain = 46.42 Million

USA = 327.17 Million

What would concern me is if we pass China because they have 1.38 Billion people.

Something is very wrong with how we are handling this if we overtake China.

China (mainland) cases
Mar 25
Confirmed

United States cases
Mar 25
Confirmed

It's not a competition. The goal is to stop new cases. Period.

Horror map shows Sydney’s eastern suburbs have the highest number of coronavirus cases after backpackers ignored social distancing advice – as numbers of those infected in NSW soars to 1,219 overnight
  • New South Wales coronavirus cases surged by 190 overnight to 1,219 statewide
  • Of those, seven people in NSW have died and currently 16 are in intensive care
  • Sydney's south east has the most confirmed cases with between 161-320 people
  • Sydney's west and south west has between 41 to 80 confirmed COVID-19 cases
  • Northern Sydney closely follows with between 81 and 160 confirmed cases
  • Health officials are expecting the state's number of infections to continue rising
  • Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

That hurt my heart!

Mine, too! :( I'm a gardener and my gardens have been in home shows, so to see that wanton destruction was horrible. And to add insult to injury they were appearing to recycle the trays but trashing all those plastic pots making it impossible to compost those beautiful plants. One of my greatest pleasures in going into huge nurseries in the spring just to marvel at all the plants to choose from. I guess the cupboard will be bare this spring. :(

At work, we started prepping how to move about 35,000 people online in January. When it became necessary on March 13, we were ready - smooth transition. Some people got it sooner than others, some national leaders got it sooner than others. Canada got it as soon as the Prime Minister's wife got it. That's good for Canadians.

The biggest employer here also had purchased all the needed equipment to have everything ready to move people to home offices at the beginning of March.

I think that the chink in the Canadian wall was, and still is, the sloppiness at the border. My s-i-l, who is a pilot, said that airline passengers weren't even given a verbal notice about self-isolating when Public Health already knew that travel was the only incoming route of COVID-19.

“Some 70% of Louisiana's 1,795 confirmed cases to date are in the New Orleans metro area.

The culprit for the rapid spread of coronavirus in the Big Easy? Some blame Carnival.

"Mardi Gras was the perfect storm, it provided the perfect conditions for the spread of this virus," said Dr. Rebekah Gee, who until January was the Health Secretary for Louisiana and now heads up Louisiana State University's health care services division.

She noted that Fat Tuesday fell on Feb. 25, when the virus was already in the United States but before the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and national leaders had raised the alarm with the American public.

"New Orleans had its normal level of celebration, which involved people congregating in large crowds and some 1.4 million tourists," Gee said. "We shared drink cups. We shared each other's space in the crowds. People were in close contact catching beads. It is now clear that people also caught coronavirus."

Gee said that the explosive growth rate of the coronavirus in the Mississippi River port city means "it's on the trajectory to become the epicenter for the outbreak in the United States.”

New Orleans emerges as next coronavirus epicenter, threatening rest of South
1 hr ago

Mine, too! :( I'm a gardener and my gardens have been in home shows, so to see that wanton destruction was horrible. And to add insult to injury they were appearing to recycle the trays but trashing all those plastic pots making it impossible to compost those beautiful plants. One of my greatest pleasures in going into huge nurseries in the spring just to marvel at all the plants to choose from. I guess the cupboard will be bare this spring. :(

They will recycle and compost. Absolutely. Someone will have to sort it out.

Yes. It’s my state. New Orleans is the Epicenter. It’s home to several colleges, 2 medical schools, 2 law schools, dental school, teaching hospitals, 2 pro sports teams, tourist hub with numerous museums, a large zoo, numerous conventions hosted weekly, an international airport, barge traffic via the Mississippi River and more. I-10 passes right through the city. New Orleans and south Louisiana has large families and multi-generational homes. We do have a joie de vivre, however we are more then Mardi Gras.

TECHE.....Thank you. You said so well what I could not say. I was born in New Orleans (in 1941) and my family moved to Metairie (Jefferson Parish) when I was 10. I went to Nursing School in New Orleans. I am from one of those large families. We are so much more than Mardi Gras. I have not been
part of MG since grammar school. I suspected that MG was a possible reason for the outbreak and said so in a post on WS on MG day.....2/25/20.
I may just need to cut my WS reading time for a while, but I love that you
were there today.....right at the time I needed it. Lato

Denver suburbs going on shelter-in-place order

“More than 2 million in the Denver metro are joining Denver proper on a mandatory stay-at-home order.”

[...]

““There is widespread transmission of COVID-19 in the Metro Denver area, and we must take bold actions to stop the spread of this virus,” John M. Douglas, Jr., MD, executive director of Tri-County Health Department said in a statement obtained by KCNC. “With each passing day, we run a growing risk of greater transmission and illness and quickly overwhelming our hospitals, which are really a resource for our entire region and state. When this happens, not everyone may get the care they need. It’s a real possibility in Colorado -- and a situation which has already occurred in countries such as Italy -- and which is threatening to happen in major U.S. cities in other areas of our country. We understand the toll that measures to address the pandemic are having on our communities, and we want to reassure residents that this step is temporary, and a critical one to get us closer to recovery.””

I agree that the our Asian culture was way ahead of this virus here in the US as they often wore protective masks during flu season. But I am proud to join them now, as are the all the different folks I see who are not Asian but are “masking up”.
My understanding is that Asians usually wear face masks because of the pall of pollution. Our health care professionals here in Canada say wearing the mask does not protect us from the virus, it's use is really to protect others from our own bacteria which may be why strangers are suspicious of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288