Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every country has to figure this out on their own. If the states decide to send resources from one virus explosion to the next, that's certainly one approach.

Hopefully peaks will happen before states need their people and equipment locally.
seems to me that the federal government should be sending the resources where they are needed. State govs shouldn't have to be monitoring other states due to absence of central planning by the feds.

I'm not sure if it's been discussed here this evening. There is a recent video of a nurse speaking out in NY. I watched it on CNN it's still up. She has stated, people have come in for other things (car accident) and they test, do xrays (not clear on wording) and they are showing up as having the virus and damage from it. Take from it what you will. They are ringing alarm bells!!

That wouldn't surprise me. Remember that study from Iceland that found around half of all infected people are asymptomatic. So plenty of people who don't think they're sick, actually are. And some of those people are going to need medical care for other things, like accidents as you said.

I wondered similarly about the USS Comfort being brought to port at NYC as a hospital for non-COVID patients. I wondered if those patients were all going to be tested for COVID before being admitted to the ship hospital for their broken leg, or to have a baby, or whatever. Because if not, the asymptomatic-but-infected folks just there to have their appendix removed (or whatever) are going to end up infecting the entire hospital if they're not cautious.

Sounds like fiction.
I'm sorry-every day is just bizarre.
I think this is such an evil virus. Keeping the old separated from the young and their families. The family unit that God designed to always be there for one another. It is un-natural, against everything human.
Be safe, stay home.
jmo
I wish it was fiction. We'll go back to staying close to home. Around the block to see the nature, but avoid the humans.

You're exactly right. Some parts of the US will see infections peak weeks after others.

That's why it makes sense to focus on the areas that are in need now and shift things like ventilator resources to other areas when they are hitting their peak. JMO

How many weeks?

The illness lasts 20 days. If the peak is in 3 weeks, many more people will need respirators for 20 days after 3 weeks from now. What if another state has an explosion of cases in 2 weeks?

NATO is united. Every NATO country is in the same situation. Every place that is not currently overwhelmed is 2 weeks away from being overwhelmed. No one can give up their medical support to another place when the illness lasts 3 weeks.

Wuhan, Iran, Italy are epicentres. The next epicentre is the USA. China, Iran and Italy will help the USA when they are through this. Every other country is bracing for the explosion of infected people.
China and Iran are not members of NATO. Italy is a member of NATO, but clearly ITALY is in no position to help anyone right now.

The United States is that. United.

I think it would be great if states that are not experiencing shortages of medical personnel and supplies would help the people of New York during this time of great need. JMO
I think there is a technical problem crossing state lines because states do the licensing of these professionals. Plus, the professional has to be willing to travel and most have their own families to consider because schools are shut down and the primary transmission of this rotten plaque has been via travel.

JMO

How many weeks?

The illness lasts 20 days. If the peak is in 3 weeks, many more people will need respirators for 20 days after 3 weeks from now. What if another state has an explosion of cases in 2 weeks?
What if the peaks are greater and thousands of ventilators sit unused letting many people die?

I think being proactive is a better idea. JMO

China and Iran are not members of NATO. Italy is a member of NATO, but clearly ITALY is in no position to help anyone right now.

The US was in bad shape from the beginning with tests that didn't work, and medical supply shortages. No one is looking to the US for guidance or assistance.

The global community is working together to produce medical equipment and to discover a vaccine.

In happier news, Bindi Irwin, daughter of late conservationist Steve Irwin, was married today in Australia in a much smaller wedding than they had planned. Her Dad would be proud.

The couple married in the gardens of Australia Zoo in Queensland, which was opened by her grandparents in the 1970s and is still run by the Irwin family.

Because the Irwin family live at the zoo together, Irwin's mother, Terri, and her brother, Robert, were able to attend despite the coronavirus lockdown, she wrote in the post.

"We held a small ceremony and I married my best friend. There are no words to describe the amount of love and light in my heart right now. We've planned this beautiful day for nearly a year and had to change everything, as we didn't have guests at our wedding," she said.

Bindi Irwin shares photo of secret zoo wedding to Chandler Powell - CNN

Polis Issues Colorado Stay-at-Home Order: ‘Now Is Not The Time To Die’

“Gov. Jared Polis issued a statewide “stay at home” order Wednesday, requiring the state’s 5.7 million residents to avoid unnecessary travel or mingling with others outside their households.

Polis, who had resisted taking the dramatic step even as cities, counties and local health departments in metro Denver issued similar orders before him, said he was persuaded that a statewide approach was necessary as the coronavirus continued to spread throughout the population.

“Now is the time to stay at home,” Polis said.”

[...]

“But in the last five days, the number of Coloradans hospitalized with COVID-19 more than doubled, from 44 to 147, and the number of deaths nearly doubled in a single night, from 11 Tuesday to 19 reported Wednesday.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nahnah_2015