Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
COLUMBIA, SOUTH CAROLINA (WIS) - The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control announced 121 new COVID-19 cases within the state on Saturday.

The new cases now bring the total statewide number of cases to 660 in 40 counties.

Two additional deaths related to COVID-19 have also been confirmed. This brings the state’s total number of deaths to 15.

Both patients were elderly individuals who had underlying health conditions. One patient was a resident of Richland County and one was a resident of Horry County.

DHEC: 121 new cases of coronavirus in S.C., 2 new deaths; 1,500 samples backlogged for testing

I run solo in the mornings to avoid contact with others. No problems, but I did look out my window and saw about 20 or 30 people exercising together in our community park area. Nowhere close to 6 feet apart and sweating all over each other with the kids playing in and around them all.

WTH don't people understand about social distancing??!! :mad:
That’s precisely why the projection models factor in different percentages of compliance.

A number I’ve seen a lot is 60%.

Its frustrating that there’s so many people who just don’t get it.

I think there is enough evidence that smoking is bad for you. You don't need to wait for an expert in pulmonary medicine to tell you that.
That is not what I said at all. Read my post. I'd like to hear from an expert in pulmonary medicine tell the American people that if the sale of cigarettes is banned, this would slow the spread of the virus. I did not say that an expert in pulmonary medicine should tell people to stop smoking.

Hasn't even been peer reviewed and based on what if's.

It was put out there in MSM by the "prediction police experts" that over half the country up to 80% will get the virus.

Fear mongering.
Ha....every forecast is what if. If it doesnt then its actual. This is the LOWEST side of the estimates I've seen in the past 2 weeks and purposely didn't publish those. To your point, they are all forecast. But this one is definitely not fear mongering.

As for peer review, the peak begins next week. Doubtful any forecast in the next 4 weeks will be peer reviewed.

I think the idea behind it is that if a smoker is afflicted with the virus, the odds of them requiring a ventilator go down after quitting for a period of time.

I’m not saying I agree with it, just pointing out the apparent logic behind it.

I've read if the lungs aren't damaged when someone quits smoking the lungs will be healthy after 3 weeks of quitting.

It's strange, I've know some elderly people, both men, and women who have smoked all of their lives even into their 80s or 90s, but never experienced any lung problems.

Back when they started smoking many started right in the tobacco fields where the tobacco was really potent with no filtering at all. I dont know what rabbit tobacco even is, but I've heard many elderly say they smoked it.

I guess it's different for each individual who smoked or smokes.

Jmho

Friday’s Transcript of Opening Remarks / WHO Briefing:

“WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 27 March 2020
27 March 2020

“Good morning, good afternoon and good evening, wherever you are.

There are now more than half a million confirmed cases of COVID-19 and more than 20,000 deaths.

These are tragic numbers, but let's also remember that around the world, more than 100,000 people have recovered.

Yesterday, I had the honour of addressing an extraordinary meeting of leaders from the G20 countries.

My message was threefold: we must fight, unite and ignite.

Fight to stop the virus with every resource at our disposal;

Unite to confront the pandemic together. We are one humanity, with one, common enemy. No country can fight alone; we can only fight together.

And ignite the industrial might and innovation of the G20 to produce and distribute the tools needed to save lives.

We must also make a promise to future generations, saying never again.

Viral outbreaks are a fact of life. How much damage they do is something we can influence.

I thank the G20 countries for their commitment to fight the pandemic, safeguard the global economy, address international trade disruptions and enhance global cooperation.

This is especially important for countries who are not part of the G20 but will be affected by decisions made by G20 countries.

Earlier today, we held a briefing with around 50 Ministers of Health from around the world at which China, Japan, the Republic of Korea and Singapore shared their experiences and the lessons they have learned.

Several common themes emerged about what has worked:

The need for early detection and isolation of confirmed cases;

Identification, follow-up and quarantine of contacts;

The need to optimize care;

And the need to communicate to build trust and engage communities in the fight.

Countries also expressed several common challenges.

The chronic global shortage of personal protective equipment is now one of the most urgent threats to our collective ability to save lives.

WHO has shipped almost 2 million individual items of protective gear to 74 countries that need it most, and we’re preparing to send a similar amount to a further 60 countries.

But much more is needed.

This problem can only be solved with international cooperation and international solidarity.

When health workers are at risk, we’re all at risk.

Health workers in low- and middle-income countries deserve the same protection as those in the wealthiest countries.

To support our call on all countries to conduct aggressive case-finding and testing, we’re also working urgently to massively increase the production and capacity for testing around the world.

One of the most important areas of international cooperation is research and development.

A vaccine is still at least 12 to 18 months away.

In the meantime, we recognize that there is an urgent need for therapeutics to treat patients and save lives.

Today we are delighted to announce that in Norway and Spain, the first patients will shortly be enrolled in the Solidarity Trial, which will compare the safety and effectiveness of four different drugs or drug combinations against COVID-19.

This is a historic trial which will dramatically cut the time needed to generate robust evidence about what drugs work.

More than 45 countries are contributing to the trial, and more have expressed interest. The more countries who join the trial, the faster we will have results.

In the meantime, we call on individuals and countries to refrain from using therapeutics that have not been demonstrated to be effective in the treatment of COVID-19.

The history of medicine is strewn with examples of drugs that worked on paper, or in a test tube, but didn't work in humans or were actually harmful.

During the most recent Ebola epidemic, for example, some medicines that were thought to be effective were found not to be as effective as other medicines when they were compared during a clinical trial.

We must follow the evidence. There are no short-cuts.

We also need to ensure that using unproven drugs does not create a shortage of those medicines to treat diseases for which they have proven effective.

As the pandemic evolves and more countries are affected, we are learning more and more lessons about what works and what doesn't.

WHO is continuing to support all countries in the response.

We’ve published more than 40 guidance documents on our website, providing detailed, evidence-based recommendations for governments, hospitals, health workers, members of the public and more.

More than 1 million health workers have been trained through our courses on OpenWHo_Org. We will continue to train more.

We’re also delighted to report that the COVID-19 Solidarity Fund has now received donations of more than US$ 108 million in just two weeks, from 203,000 individuals and organizations.

Thank you to each and every one of you.

The English version of our WhatsApp Health Alert now has more than 12 million users globally, and the Arabic, French and Spanish versions were launched today. More languages will be added, including Bangla, Chinese, Hindi, Kurdish, Portuguese, Russian, Somali, Urdu, Swahili and more.

I’ve said before that crises like this bring out the best and worst in humanity.

We have recently seen an increase in scams, cyberattacks and impersonation using WHO, my name and COVID-19.

I am very grateful to those working in various national organizations providing critical cybersecurity intelligence to the WHO Cybersecurity team.

Thank you for your efforts to work with us to protect the health systems, health workers and members of the general public who rely on our information systems and digital tools. Special thanks to Microsoft for assisting on this.

I’d like to end with something Singapore’s Minister of Health, Gan Kim Yong, said during today’s briefing.

We are only at the beginning of this fight.

We need to stay calm, stay united and work together.

I thank you.”

Full video of the above Friday Briefing which includes Q & A:
Press briefings

Last edited:
Dr. Campbell has done 2 radio interviews in YouTube format. Both are well done, good info and some new info to me. Both are long, so save to listen to for when you are doing housework or yardwork to listen to? (I'm not sure I agree with him on the Diamond Princess outbreak as I have read a published scientific article about how the kitchen staff and servers of food most likely were the reason it passed after shutdown, vs. airborne)

SCOTT GOTTLIEB

READ: This week tragic reality on ground will overtake events. There are multiple epicenters of U.S. spread. We'll grapple with national epidemic. April will be hard. We'll get through it. Focus must be on slowing spread nationally, support healthcare system, build back in May. Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter
Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter

We can end the national epidemic with tough measures in April, and gradually restart our activity in May and June. As we do, we must focus on getting technology and tools to make sure we can end the current spread more quickly, save lives, and keep it from ever happening again.

That means
1. Massive surveillance system and point of care tests
2. Therapeutics to prevent infection or treat those sick or exposed
3. Eventually a vaccine.

Look to therapeutic antibodies as obtainable, near term promise. Technology will turn #Coronavirus into manageable threat.

Take it slow. Spend time with family. Protect the vulnerable. The CARES Act will help offset some the huge economic burdens. It's a very hard time. We'll get through it. It'll end. We must end it decisively and put in place tools and technology to make sure this doesn't return.
Thank you, Henry.
Wise words.
Let us all abide and hunker down knowing there is a light at the end of this very dark tunnel.
No time for selfishness.
We are all in this together.

Some smokers are okay with cold turkey (so if you're one of those, and thinking about it - go for it). And people who smoke only a couple of cigarettes per day - it's time to go ahead and quit.

Nicotine patches still available online, but...having watched many relatives go cold turkey after getting sick (not from CV19, from flu or pneumonia) I'm rooting for all of the quitters and will tolerate a bit of crankiness. Most need some other outdoor habit to occupy them, IME (my dad started picking the gravel out of his lawn and tossing it back into the gravel area, ha).
Thanks for giving me a giggle thinking of your dad's new "hobby". ....gravel picker/flinger.

Watch what they do, not what they say....all these CEOs pranced across the stage 2 weeks ago claiming they were going to do this......they are letting us down and this is a matter of life or death. All I can assume at this point is that it was a huge advertising event because they clearly have not followed through.

So true. Where's my Wal-Mart and Target drive in testing site? Where are the millions of promised test kits?

Where are the 3M mask they were going to make? And we all know about GM.

And we are to believe ventilators will be made quickly?

Talking heads....

Moo..

The states also have the most power, and it’s up to them to make decisions that keep the population safe.

Governors and mayors, not the federal government, have the broadest quarantine and isolation authority, as the constitution leaves that kind of police power in the hands of the states.

Although the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has the authority to detain people suspected of having an infectious disease without getting approval from state and local officials, that authority is rarely used and experts on public health law say that any attempt to leverage that power to create a federally mandated quarantine would likely be challenged in court.

Trump considering 'enforceable quarantine' for N.Y., N. J. and parts of Connecticut

Sounds like he's talking about shutting down airline and railroad travel to essential only. I think it is a great idea.

JMO

NY

A key, ever-fluctuating variable in the grim daily calculus facing a city racing against time to treat a rising tide of COVID-19 patients is the number of intensive care unit beds available.

On Thursday, in a city of 8.6 million people, that figure was 307.

Without a marked increase in resources, the five boroughs are headed in the next eight days “to a decisive moment for the City of New York,” Mayor Bill de Blasio warned late Friday.

On Monday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo warned that the apex of the coronavirus outbreak is approaching faster than expected, threatening to subsume hospitals weeks before an initial May 1 projection.

De Blasio pegs the date more specifically and sooner: April 5.

The mayor said he couldn’t ensure that every life that could be saved by medical workers will be saved if ICU beds, personnel and equipment aren’t boosted in time to meet the crisis’ peaks.

“But after next Sunday, April 5, is when I get very, very worried about everything we’re going to need: The people power we’re going to need, the equipment, the supplies, obviously the ventilators.

Hospitals Nearing ICU Bed Limits as COVID-19 Surges in NYC

Coronavirus spreading in The Villages

Well, Gov. DeSantis helped these well-heeled folks get a mobile testing station, right in their gated community, anyway (symptoms or not). For those who don't live in pricey golf villages? Good luck. Based on the article below, at least there are apparently 2,000 tests available for the homebound (symptoms or exposure only).

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241507071.html
Wow, sad it does make sense that Adult/retirement Communities are hit hard especially with the cruising but the age group is not a good mix. A lot of homeless in FL too. I lived in Miami for 10 yrs and although I miss the sun and outdoor cafes year round etc I am glad I am riding this out in the woods of VA Fortunately my wife can work from home but she still has to go on a big marine base once a week so.....I wish there was something I can do to help the effort, staying home is the best I can do for the moment unless anyone has any ideas. (I don't sew)

Sounds like he's talking about shutting down airline and railroad travel to essential only. I think it is a great idea.

JMO
We’ll have to see what it looks like. I don’t know what the Federal government can do that the states themselves cannot do. I’m sure there’s something, but there’s a line there in terms of enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member