Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially since he said he did not meet the criteria. Of course he has a lot of friends in medical field, as you prob know. Since he’s a doctor, he mighta ordered a few kits.

However he got the test, I'm glad he's okay, he's been through a lot these last few years with the crazy neighbor who attacked him.

JOHN HOPKINS....TOM INGLESBY

Dr. Thomas Inglesby, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, warned that the U.S. is "still at the beginning" of the coronavirus outbreak, and outlined five conditions that must be met before the country should consider relaxing social distancing practices.

“(1)When we see a state or region have numbers that go down over time,
(2) and when we have diagnostics in place,
(3) and when we have masks available for all of our doctors and nurses who are putting their lives at risk to take care of sick patients,
(4) and hospitals are well-prepared,
(5) and when we can get our public health systems in place to start tracing or identifying individuals and start tracing their contacts, again like they do in Asia ---

I think those five major conditions --- then I think it’s a time to begin to think about how we might experiment with lightening social distancing, perhaps one step at a time.”

Johns Hopkins doctor identifies '5 major conditions' for relaxing social distancing | Fox News

All of this should go without saying (doctors and nurses should not be dying at the rates they're dying in Italy - not in the USA, we MUST have PPE for them). But, I fear that all of these will be controversial. If we "reopen" too soon, all of the sacrifices made so far will be in vain.

We need the antibody test before we can reopen. When we get that widely manufactured and distributed (and not just to New York and New Jersey), we will have such a better grasp on what steps to take next and how to track new patients.

Holland America cruise ship with dead aboard gets OK to head toward Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Several Broward County commissioners were alarmed at the idea of the Zaandam docking at Port Everglades.

Commissioner Michael Udine said early Sunday that Port Everglades notified county commissioners late Saturday with its mandates for the passengers including: All illnesses and conditions must be accurately disclosed and documented; the cruise line, at its expense, will provide all protective equipment to all responders; temperature readings are required for all disembarking crew and passengers; and the cruise line, at its expense, will arrange for private ambulance transportation, among other issues.

To minimize exposure, passengers are only allowed off the ship with one piece of luggage with essential items. The cruise line would sanitize all other luggage, according to Port Everglades regulations.

And, “no less than 24 hours in advance of the start of debarkation, the cruise line will present a security plan for review and approval... how passengers will debark orderly, safely and in compliance with current health advisories (i.e. social distancing). Failure to maintain good order may result in an immediate suspension of the debarkation until the situation is under control,” according to the guidelines.

Udine said the ship’s pending arrival would be discussed at Tuesday’s scheduled county commission meeting; the ship needs 72 hours to get to Port Everglades once it passes the Panama Canal.

Bad deal. I can’t believe people still got on a cruise ship on March 7 with everything that was going on. Stupid moo.

Does anyone else's community seemingly not taking this seriously at all?

Southeastern North Carolina here, we have a stay at home order going into effect tomorrow because people aren't taking this seriously enough and our numbers of infected keep rising because of it. I am pretty angry about it. I went to the grocery store and there was 8-10 people all grouped in a circle blocking the exit just chatting it up. There was even a local news article about how no one seems to be taking social distancing seriously at all and showed a picture that day of a crowd of people lounging on the beach regardless of all the beaches being closed. I almost want to rant about it. How are people being so careless about this?

NYC

There is an operation underway to build an emergency hospital inside Central Park.

Sunday morning, trucks filled with equipment and supplies parked along 5th Avenue, and workers with the North Carolina based Christian organization Samaritan’s Purse began constructing a 68-bed emergency field hospital across from Mount Sinai Hospital.

Dr. Elliott Tenpenny, the team leader of this field operation, tells NY1 state officials approved the plan after Mount Sinai Hospital reached out for assistance.

The field hospital will be composed of a respiratory care unit with ICU capability. Dr. Tenpenny said highly trained doctors and nurses with experience in infectious diseases will be deployed on a rotating basis.

Emergency Hospital Being Constructed in Central Park

I sure hope POTUS was able to get the FDA to approve more disinfecting of masks by Batelle. That could be a game changer for our country.

They just showed a meeting with the President and others discussing these kinds of issues, and the FDA director was there, and Trump asked him to approve Batelle for disinfecting 80,000 masks a day rather than the 10,000 they approved.
FDA said they are working on it.

(If anyone lives in Torrance, CA, help is here. Every city in the US should do similar IMO)

Coronavirus: Torrance to offer food delivery service for at-risk population – Daily Breeze

TORRANCE — The city of Torrance will begin offering a grocery delivery service to the COVID-19 at-risk population on Tuesday, officials said.
The Torrance Cares 2-Go Care Package will provide 18 preselected essential grocery and sanitary items for $70 delivered straight to their door, said Michael D. Smith, Torrance spokesman.
The Torrance Cares 2-Go Go Cares Package will be delivered by a uniformed city employee in a city-marked fleet vehicle.
Packages will include:
Chicken/Turkey (approximately 2 lb. pack)
Beef (Steak/Ground, approximately 2 lb. pack)
Milk (=1/2 Gal.) (Potentially: Soy, Whole or Reduced/non-fat)
Eggs (=Dozen)
Butter (1 lb.)
Bread (1 loaf)
Boxed Pasta/Rice/Mac-Cheese (2)
Cereal (1 Box)
Canned Soups, Veggies and/or beans (2)
Celery Stalk (1)
Carrots (1 lb.)
Onions (2)
Garlic (1 Head)
Apples (2)
Oranges (2)
Can of Disinfectant Spray (Lysol or Similar Product)
Dish Soap (= 8 oz.)
Toilet Paper (=4-Pack), Box of Tissues (1), or Paper Towels (2-Pack).

Not sure if this has been posted, but Ohio Governor working with FDA to reverse their decision to allow Battelle company to sterilize 80,000 masks per day rather than 10,000 as FDA approved - also to allow Battelle to help other states besides Ohio that need this technology to sterilize thousands of masks.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2020/03/29/dewine-cautiously-optimistic-battelle-tech-will-be.html?ana=e_colum_bn_breakingnews_breakingnews&j=90502061&t=Breaking News&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTVdGaFlXVmlaamN3TURZMSIsInQiOiI1cHZhb1NJMDZDXC9KZExNTURqZ1hNOXM5bE9veU1lMjlPOVgyRlA2dnVvWGJtUWxWZFdsUFhBYlVNSzkrN3p5N1hsazBhR2FBNXRqekFhVjNlYzFTM1VuUkhJR29PT2dDUFpTSlpINmRlN3dYVDJOVmV2a1wvdjROaDJVMEc2cWRlIn0=

Duke is doing the same thing.
Duke Starts Novel Decontamination of N95 Masks to Help Relieve Shortages | Duke School of Medicine

The use of hydrogen peroxide to decontaminate N95 masks was tested and published by others in 2016, but did not result in widespread adaptation. The earlier studies did not include fit testing after cleaning – basically sizing the masks for individual wearers - to prove efficacy in the real world, which Duke has now done.

Glad we got really smart folks in our world.

Our governor is doing his PC. He voiced concern over reports of too many people at home improvement stores & said he will need to speak with them & see what they can do about the lack of social distancing, will determine if they are essential (paraphrased). Stressed responsible shopping.
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=andy beshear governor&epa=SEARCH_BOX
A Mercer county man wants a test but refuses to comply with the health dept & answer questions about exposure sites/contacts. Duh

Our state health department doctor again stressing to act like everyone has Covid.

BOSTON

"Confirmed cornavirus infections among hospital workers in Boston rival or exceed the number of Covid-19 patients admitted to these hospitals.
--hospital staff cases reflect community spread? or spreading in hospital?"

More than 160 Boston hospital workers test positive for coronavirus - The Boston Globe Antonio Regalado on Twitter
Antonio Regalado on Twitter
This is why I give the WHO ;)
If the COVID19 is not airborne as WHO claims, then what is the explanation for all of these medical professionals catching it? They have PPE, they are trained, and they are constantly exposed to sick people their whole career - yet this one new disease is so highly contagious that no amount of PPE is protective? That kind of screams airborne, doesn't it?

Does anyone else's community seemingly not taking this seriously at all?

Southeastern North Carolina here, we have a stay at home order going into effect tomorrow because people aren't taking this seriously enough and our numbers of infected keep rising because of it. I am pretty angry about it. I went to the grocery store and there was 8-10 people all grouped in a circle blocking the exit just chatting it up. There was even a local news article about how no one seems to be taking social distancing seriously at all and showed a picture that day of a crowd of people lounging on the beach regardless of all the beaches being closed. I almost want to rant about it. How are people being so careless about this?
According to our news reports in Ohio most are taking it seriously but I haven't left our place for 19 days so I'm not really sure.

(If anyone lives in Torrance, CA, help is here. Every city in the US should do similar IMO)

Coronavirus: Torrance to offer food delivery service for at-risk population – Daily Breeze

TORRANCE — The city of Torrance will begin offering a grocery delivery service to the COVID-19 at-risk population on Tuesday, officials said.
The Torrance Cares 2-Go Care Package will provide 18 preselected essential grocery and sanitary items for $70 delivered straight to their door, said Michael D. Smith, Torrance spokesman.
The Torrance Cares 2-Go Go Cares Package will be delivered by a uniformed city employee in a city-marked fleet vehicle.
Packages will include:
Chicken/Turkey (approximately 2 lb. pack)
Beef (Steak/Ground, approximately 2 lb. pack)
Milk (=1/2 Gal.) (Potentially: Soy, Whole or Reduced/non-fat)
Eggs (=Dozen)
Butter (1 lb.)
Bread (1 loaf)
Boxed Pasta/Rice/Mac-Cheese (2)
Cereal (1 Box)
Canned Soups, Veggies and/or beans (2)
Celery Stalk (1)
Carrots (1 lb.)
Onions (2)
Garlic (1 Head)
Apples (2)
Oranges (2)
Can of Disinfectant Spray (Lysol or Similar Product)
Dish Soap (= 8 oz.)
Toilet Paper (=4-Pack), Box of Tissues (1), or Paper Towels (2-Pack).
Wow. They even include TP. Nice. I would have qualified (pre-existing condition) if I lived there.

"NEW: Sunday 29 March update of coronavirus mortality trajectories
• UK still tracking Italy. Death toll doubling every 2.8 days
• US curve still steepening, could reach 1,000 new daily deaths within next 3-4 days"
Live version FREE TO READ: Coronavirus tracked: the latest figures as the pandemic spreads | Free to read John Burn-Murdoch on Twitter

Death toll trajectories in subnational regions:
• New York curve still steepening. Deaths almost doubled in last 24h
• Michigan also looking bad
• Lack of joined-up measures in US starting to take its toll as multiple outbreaks spread
All charts: Coronavirus tracked: the latest figures as the pandemic spreads | Free to read John Burn-Murdoch on Twitter

All countries’ death toll trajectories:
• German curve still tracking Italy, as are Turkey, Brazil and many others
• 36 countries’ death toll curves now shown here
All charts: Coronavirus tracked: the latest figures as the pandemic spreads | Free to read John Burn-Murdoch on Twitter

John Burn-Murdoch on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_171859.jpg
    IMG_20200329_171859.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200329_171904.jpg
    IMG_20200329_171904.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200329_171909.jpg
    IMG_20200329_171909.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 12
Medical plane reportedly used for coronavirus response in Philippines 'caught fire and exploded,' American among 8 dead

An aircraft that's been used as an air ambulance in the Philippines as the country deals with the coronavirus outbreak caught fire while attempting to take off for Japan on Sunday, killing all on board, including an American, according to officials.

The aircraft, a Lion Air plane, was bound from Manila to Haneda Airport in Tokyo with eight people on board when it caught fire at the end of the runway at Manila International Airport.

"There were no survivors," Manila airport general manager Ed Monreal said at a news conference.
What horrible news!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member