Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this pic on reddit - arriving in NYC via hospital ship. Makes me tear up for some reason.
9l2kfz03qup41.jpg
Me too!

Join Websleuths LIVE 10 PM Eastern tonight on YouTube. Our special guest is Levi Page Click the link below at 10:00 PM Eastern tonight to hear Levi discuss all kinds of true crime stories. In fact, tonight Levi is going to go over the disappearance of Haleigh Cummings. It is going to be a wild night. Link below, 10 PM Eastern tonight.
https://tinyurl.com/qqhq3dv

The virus cannot survive long outside a human host. It's a virus, it lacks all ability to reproduce in oats. So, quarantining of oats should be more than sufficient. Plus, we cook them before eating them. I am guessing that virtually every food processing plant in America has someone who would test positive, if we had sufficient testing. And many more with antibodies (who could continue working without making people afraid).

But fear over virus in the food supply is, IMO, misplaced.
I have heard it can survive for 72 hrs on surfaces. In a later post I did mention that we cook them in boiling water so that should kill any germs but I guess some people could use them raw.

This is a good time to say how much I enjoy all of you here. We may not always agree on every single (esoteric) detail, but it's so heartening to be around people who truly care and are treating this pandemic with the same careful attention as crime. The virus is like a criminal. We on WS do not like crime.

WS is an intelligent, proactive community, but more than that, it is filled with compassion, concern, curiousity and genuine good will.

I don't feel isolated at all, I have you guys.

Coronavirus death rate is lower than previously reported, study says, but it's still deadlier than seasonal flu - CNN
[...]

The research, published in the medical journal The Lancet Infectious Diseases, estimated that about 0.66% of those infected with the virus will die.

That coronavirus death rate, which is lower than earlier estimates, takes into account potentially milder cases that often go undiagnosed -- but it's still far higher than the 0.1% of people who are killed by the flu.

Coronavirus pandemic alters life as we know it
When undetected infections aren't taken into account, the Lancet study found that the coronavirus death rate was 1.38%, which is more consistent with earlier reports.

Early in March, for example, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that "if you just do the math, the math is about 2%."

[...]

The average time from onset of symptoms to hospital discharge was about 25 days, researchers found, although patients might not have been hospitalized during the early days of their illness. Among those who succumbed to the virus, death came about 18 days after people started showing symptoms.

[...]

My understanding is that the covid virus is nearly the same as the Spanish Flu. This is a screen shot of a webinar I attended today - couple of microbiologists in Alberta. Webinar is not yet available but will post when it is uploaded

This identifies the difference between viruses and bacteria

upload_2020-3-30_17-25-18.png

This shows the relationship between covid Ro and the Ro for other viruses.

upload_2020-3-30_17-24-12.png

I think the blue strain is being studied as the "more aggressive" form. We have both in the US. The East Coast has more blue. France has more of the red strain (on some graphics it's gold). Italy has more of the blue. All of it is bad, of course. But I think we'll eventually learn that the specific shape and structure of the blue one is harder on our immune systems.

The virus has the unique property of being a "chimera," a blend of a bat virus with a pangolin virus (it's almost entirely identical to a bat virus, and bats hang out with pangolins and the RNA sequences of the pangolin virus inserted themselves into the bat virus. This happens quite a bit in nature.

Viruses may not have brains but it's hard not to view them as clever. Scientists debate whether viruses are alive, but if they are not alive, they sure do have a strong mechanism of survival.

Fascinating..please share more as you learn!

Agree! And even more alarming is how often one touches their face without a second thought. I recall having to wear blue latex gloves last year when visiting a sick friend and I was truly taken back when I noticed how many times the gloved hands approached my face during a single hour!

JMO
I totally agree about how thin rubber gloves are a great way to identify and realize how much we touch our face and to help train ourselves not to do that. It happened to me when I first went to the grocery store with rubber gloves for the first time many weeks ago now. I was shocked and it was an eye opener. What happens when you wear thin rubber gloves is as you approach your face area, our brains are smart enough to give us a warning that something is "different" this time and its a big red flag to your brain. You think twice about touching your face area and it actually helped me learn how darn much I was doing it (and still am unfortunately as I only managed to reduce frequency of face touching. Almost impossible to stop altogether).

The interesting thing is you have to wear the thin rubber gloves and not use like a thick winter gloves or anything like that. Because with normal thick winter gloves our minds are already trained that they are "different" and we automatically dont use a thick warm gloved hand to go to the face area very much. But by using a thin tight rubber glove, it allows your mind to get used to it and you forget you have them on, then you start touching your face like you normally would without a glove. And right before you do it, a new brain warning goes up that it is something different coming at your face. LOL.
Its a great training exercise and I did it on purpose to help me identify how to try to slow down the face touching.

Last edited:
Coronavirus death rate is lower than previously reported, study says, but it's still deadlier than seasonal flu - CNN
[...]

The research, published in the medical journal The Lancet Infectious Diseases, estimated that about 0.66% of those infected with the virus will die.

That coronavirus death rate, which is lower than earlier estimates, takes into account potentially milder cases that often go undiagnosed -- but it's still far higher than the 0.1% of people who are killed by the flu.

Coronavirus pandemic alters life as we know it
When undetected infections aren't taken into account, the Lancet study found that the coronavirus death rate was 1.38%, which is more consistent with earlier reports.

Early in March, for example, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that "if you just do the math, the math is about 2%."

[...]

The average time from onset of symptoms to hospital discharge was about 25 days, researchers found, although patients might not have been hospitalized during the early days of their illness. Among those who succumbed to the virus, death came about 18 days after people started showing symptoms.

[...]

Perhaps more deadly but more of a strain on our hospitals.

Things that make you laugh. My husband used to do contracting and purchasing for an agency not to be named. He had a surplus of funds, end of year, "use or lose", so he spent every dime on stuff for the Surgical department. Gloves, masks, whatever they use..

And was royally chewed a "new one", because they didn't have the storage. Which is bogus, because huge hospitals have tons of space in the basement. The problem is that due to Joint Commission rules for hospitals, so much non durable medical items have dates on them, expiration dates. And JACHO loves to write hospitals up for stuff like that. So, it is easier to not have a stock up supply, than get caught with items out of date.

My prior place of employment was a DME company. Agree with all you totally.

This likely has been posted, but really, I thing should be put in the thread once again. Look at the pics in this article. WOW! And that video, OUCH!

The sailors on board, however, seem to have gotten the message.

Help at last: Navy hospital ship the USNS Comfort docks in New York harbor | Daily Mail Online

I am unable to copy the pics in separately.

The crowds against the railings and the Comfort sailing past the statue of Liberty are great pics. The article mentions the Comfort being in New York after 9/11.

"Dozens flocked to Pier 90 to watch the ship come in on Monday despite being told by the governor to stay at home

People push themselves against the railings to watch the USNS Comfort arriving in New York on Monday

The USNS Comfort arrives in New York City on Monday morning with 1,000 beds on board to welcome non-coronavirus patients. The ship is pictured steaming past the Statue of Liberty"

I guess they thought it was worth the risk of getting the virus just to see the ship in port. Very symbolic and moving for New Yorkers I would imagine.

Last edited:
Okay, but I did see a handshake rebuff with the MyPillow guy (due to hygiene, not rudeness).

Old habits do die hard. I wonder if I'll ever hug my friends again upon seeing them :(
BBM. Me, too. I have so many nurse friends, too. When I first started making the masks I wanted one to try one on six feet from me so I could see if I needed to tweak the pattern but she said no. She’s very worried she would get me sick. I’m used to bringing eggs to some of these ladies, giving and getting gifts, doing favors for each other, and, yes - hugging them!

ETA - I have a metal milk crate on the front porch now where they pick up their masks. It was very windy the other day and a friend left something out for me to pick up - tied to a light pole.

Last edited:
Things that make you laugh. My husband used to do contracting and purchasing for an agency not to be named. He had a surplus of funds, end of year, "use or lose", so he spent every dime on stuff for the Surgical department. Gloves, masks, whatever they use..

And was royally chewed a "new one", because they didn't have the storage. Which is bogus, because huge hospitals have tons of space in the basement. The problem is that due to Joint Commission rules for hospitals, so much non durable medical items have dates on them, expiration dates. And JACHO loves to write hospitals up for stuff like that. So, it is easier to not have a stock up supply, than get caught with items out of date.

How do gowns, gloves and masks go out of date?What? They "disinigrate" or whatever?

Gov Doug Ducey (R-Arizona) issues statewide Stay At Home order on Monday, March 30, effective close of business Tuesday.

Arizona Governor issues stay at home order - KYMA

I guess I understand why he waited. The virus was just beginning to make inroads in most of Arizona (Phoenix is going to become a hotspot; Phoenix also had zillions of returning Spring Break students from Florida - so I'm predicting they got the "blue" form of the virus; not good).

Phoenix is also an old people's place, with the middle classes and upper middle classes having more space around them - there's a lot of high density housing, though. High density housing is more of a risk factor than, say, someone in a distant food packing plant having coronavirus (which doesn't live long outside a human host).

If a couple of people share ventilation, as in many older apartments mostly on the Atlantic coast and the Midwest, then you get the virus from any person shedding in that building. Some apartments just share halls and elevators. Elevators are the devil right now.

Public transport of any kind; public restrooms; elevators...avoid. Avoid taxis. Avoid indoor gatherings.

If your state hasn't locked down, obviously you need to personally avoid theaters, stores, etc.

I'm hoping everyone here has the ability to do laundry without going to a laundromat. Clothes don't matter.

In two weeks, you will be so glad you took the measures you're taking. The next week is going to be cruel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname