Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it is possible with these social distancing rules. Maybe by phone?
I mean on the ONLINE DATING SITES...lol..one of my previous jobs was as an online dating coach....seriously. But last thing I want to do now is chat with a bunch of guys for months at the very least and have some kind of fantasy life going on (which is what happens when you never "meet in person") anyways, the current joke is "all the guys the girls are going to have to break up with and all the girls the guys are going to have to break up with " when we finally can date in person again...

Well @Niner, you can grow your own cotton and spin it, weave it, but it’s way labor intensive and I’m just not exactly sure how to make toilet paper. I did an experiment with some of my students on making paper but it’s waaay too harsh for toilet and pipes.
OT
@Kensie= it’s incredibly easy to grow your own fruits and veggies. Bio-dynamic gardening works the best. I double dig my nasty alkaline soil, make a wooden box for the trees or veggies, put chicken grit (crushed oyster shells) or broken plates for drainage at bottom. I then mix compost, bone and blood meal, rotten cotton hulls, manure, alfalfa pellets, kelp meal and the soil that was in the hole. I put the tree in (I buy in the fall to take advantage of the rains and so the trees have a stronger root system). I “sow dry, set wet” that means the tree gets water with fish fertilizer and a root growing vitamin mixture. Pour in soil mix and wait till spring. Buy semi-dwarf if your yard is small.

And the peaches=
Raccoons, possums and birds, low hanging fruit= 11 peaches lost
Tony= 5
So far the varmints are winning.
Hugs to all. I saw people on road to Pig not distancing and looong lines for snowballs (snow cones?) stay safe

Holy cow. This is shocking. That’s more deaths than IL, and Chicago is an absolute hot-bed.

Friend lives in metro Chicago. Mother-in-law in nursing home (severe dementia) so phoning isn't an option. Visiting through a window won't work either. The concern is if she passes because this elderly lady had certain things she wished done at her funeral. Not going to happen. Only two people can attend a funeral, and it's probably going to be at a graveside.

Adding to this, people will have to wait to get copies of death certificates to obtain death and insurance benefits and access bank accounts because offices are closed.

The problem is, those N95 masks are supposed to be disposable. Is he planning on reusing them?

do as some nurses and drs are doing, wearing masks over them...in fact that is what I plan on doing.. picking up my homemade masks tomorrow to wear over my N95...I also dont need folks out in public shaming me, that way they only see the homemade mask.

My own personal FYI- I have a notepad set up on my laptop, to save tidbits of COVID information.
Maybe general info, maybe a link. It is so maddening to try to remember when I might have read something, the try to re-locate it.
So....copy/paste/notepad! :)
MOO

Fyi I heard our gov’ mention notary of some documents can now or will soon be able to be done online, I only caught a snippet, I THINK he mentioned needing to contact the Bar association again, but he was speaking specifically to wills & medical directives. (Phone interrupted my ability to listen) moo

Well, there are additional county restrictions on top of the state restrictions in New Hanover County in North Carolina. Some of them I don't agree with. You can no longer go inside of a restaurant to place a to go order since inside dining is no longer allowed. Curb side pickup or delivery only. That means truckers who can not go through drive thrus are having a heck of a time getting lunch. If you have a work truck that will not fit under a drive thru canopy and you can't call in an order for pickup, like a Hardees, McDonalds, Arbys etc. You can't order the food.
Another thing, you can use the parks for walking but the restrooms are closed.
Another thing, since the beaches are closed, you can't go just sit on the beach and relax for some fresh air. I decided to go and buy a folding lounge chair so that I could at least sit in my backyard. All of my old chairs were destroyed during the last two hurricanes. I found that stores that sell essential needs as well as not essential needs are not allowed to sell the nonessential need items. Walmart closed off the nonessential aisles and you could not buy those items, although you are practicing social distancing. You are only allowed to buy the essential items.....

The Olson mask is the one our hospitals are asking for. There is a pocket for a filter. I just finished another 15 of these. https://www.unitypoint.org/cedarrapids/filesimages/Coronavirus/Olson Mask with Pattern v4.pdf

That is so great you are able to make some by hand. My question is about the 0.3 micron filter material. Have you been able to find and use that as part of the mask construction? The 0.3 microns is the correct size filter from reading the specs of the N95 which had the exact same filtering size of particles.

I have been trying to figure out a way to make the handful of N95 masks I have left last longer and one solution I saw from someone else is to use HEPA vacuum cleaner bags because they also sometimes have that 0.3 micron size limit which I happen to have some brand new ones from a vacuum cleaner we no longer have. I cant figure out a frame to put the material on but I did come up with an idea that may work. I think what I am going to do is just cut out the old mask from the inside and leave enough around the edges so I have something to staple the HEPA filter to. I havent been able to see how well I can breathe through it yet so maybe the HEPA filter is too course and maybe it wont allow me to breathe through it very easily. If its too course then it may just suck backwards into my face and may not work out. If I can ever get around to trying it out I will report back here. Ive been so scarcily using them that the ones I have left may end up lasting quite awhile at this rate. So I have no immediate rush to create an ad-hoc mask yet. But I am trying to prepare myself in the event I do run out. And I would like to create one that has the 0.3 micron limit.

TYVM. Good sense prevails. I just posted about 100 cases on the Theodore Roosevelt currently docked in Guam. That would be a difficult one to categorise for sure.
Interesting, because I have both been stationed in Guam and also on a Carrier (the USS NIMITZ). I can say from my experience that I only had ear infections when I was a child, except when I was stationed on the carrier, I would get double ear infections constantly. I felt it was from bacteria, viruses, what have you in the shower heads most likely. I would also get strep throat so often, that as soon as i got a headache (my first sign) I would head to sick bay and sure enough, strep throat...get my penicillin shot and call it a day. I went there so often with strep that doc said I needed to get my tonsils out before our next deployment.
Carriers are cesspools, although the whole crew cleans constantly, the Navy is super big on cleaning. We had an hour in the morning where they called cleaning quarters and everyone- no matter your rank- would clean their area for that hour. Then we rotated assignments in berthing too. Clean, clean, clean...it was constant.
But...we never used disinfectants, just soap and water and whatever was available...not even bleach agents were available to us.
As far as Guam goes, they have a very small Navy Hospital there. My son was born there. Not a great place for Covid patients. In fact that island so small- you can go from one end to another in about an hour- that if it gets into the community, it will spread like wildfire if it hasn't already. I have no idea what their community hospital is like, but I do know that for serious cases and procedures, many locals would send their mothers, fathers, and others to Hawaii.

ii feel like some people in Australia are taking the news of the isolation methods in the wrong way and are going about their lives as normal again

the point is its working its not finished i wish people would understand that because throwing covid-19 parties is the most stupid idea iv heard of and its ended up with 50 infections just in this last weekend alone

That is so great you are able to make some by hand. My question is about the 0.3 micron filter material. Have you been able to find and use that as part of the mask construction? The 0.3 microns is the correct size filter from reading the specs of the N95 which had the exact same filtering size of particles.

I have been trying to figure out a way to make the handful of N95 masks I have left last longer and one solution I saw from someone else is to use HEPA vacuum cleaner bags because they also sometimes have that 0.3 micron size limit which I happen to have some brand new ones from a vacuum cleaner we no longer have. I cant figure out a frame to put the material on but I did come up with an idea that may work. I think what I am going to do is just cut out the old mask from the inside and leave enough around the edges so I have something to staple the HEPA filter to. I havent been able to see how well I can breathe through it yet so maybe the HEPA filter is too course and maybe it wont allow me to breathe through it very easily. If its too course then it may just suck backwards into my face and may not work out. If I can ever get around to trying it out I will report back here. Ive been so scarcily using them that the ones I have left may end up lasting quite awhile at this rate. So I have no immediate rush to create an ad-hoc mask yet. But I am trying to prepare myself in the event I do run out. And I would like to create one that has the 0.3 micron limit.
I have not looked, as the hospitals were going to provide filters.

Edited to remove previous post.

Maybe you could sew a pocket onto the mouth/skin side of your mask for filter insertion.

I have not looked, as the hospitals were going to provide filters.

Edited to remove previous post.

That is good that the hospitals are saying they can slide in a proper 0.3 micron filter inside the masks you are giving them. When properly done, I am betting your masks will be just as safe as an N95 or even better because it will be more comfortable.

The way I look at it is if I can get the right material that filters down to 0.3 microns then I see no reason why they cannot be just as safe or safer with a good fit.

I don't have any stores around here so have to make do. I have some old sunblock shirts that have very tightly woven but lightweight fabric. I wonder if that would be better than cotton/poly that is more loosely woven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla