Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone/everyone here stock up on toilet paper, hand sanitizer, masks, etc., in January because of this looming pandemic? According to a study by Johns Hopkins, no country was prepared for the devastation of this pandemic.

I’ve been preparing since February. It took a lot planning and trips, pet store, pharmacy, grocery, etc. I haven’t left the house at all in almost a month and don’t plan to.

Please be careful with Zoom...*advertiser censored* and other people have been hacking it especially when teachers ate trying to instruct the class.

There are more links about this but here are a few

and Happy Birthday to your husband!

Hackers take over Utah GOP video conference with *advertiser censored*, racial slurs

I-TEAM: Hacker gained access to CSRA middle school Zoom chat and showed *advertiser censored* to students

Zoom under scrutiny in US over privacy, *advertiser censored* hacks | Daily Mail Online
That's frightening.

My husband has had several Zoom adventures so far, with no hacking yet.

He had some business meetings last week, with no problems. And he 'attended' a couple of cocktail parties with our friends, one in honour of a wedding, that happened with no guests other than 2 witnesses.

Luckily no one hacked that 'reception'---that would have been a shame.

I will warn my son about it--he may have to keep his eyes peeled and remove his 4 yr old daughter if we get hacked. Hopefully not...:eek:

I began stocking up in February, but only because of this thread. Otherwise I'd probably wouldn't have.

Wish I had been more serious about TP though...
I didn't see this thread, and was paying attention to other things until the beginning of March, so I had nothing stock piled.
Luckily, I haven't had any problems finding essential items at stores---including TP.
I'm also fortunate that I have auto ship from chewy.com. I received an email from them letting me know that items had been set aside in warehouses for anyone with auto ship so I would be receiving my dog food, albeit in 7 days vs their normal 1-2 days.

I fully agree the service should not have been held. No way would I have attended a gathering like that.
However, I wouldn't want to be the one to tell these people it was not essential. Maybe it was essential to THEM. Maybe it was what they felt they needed to do to get through this and it was the only thing that brought them comfort. We can't be the arbiter of what's essential to someone else when it comes to religion in this country. I don't agree with what they did but I understand it.
BBM

Gathering during a pandemic is a false comfort. How many people who sang together last Sunday will die alone before the month is over?
BBM

That's on them. They shouldn't have gone--IMO. But my opinion doesn't count to them.
BBM

If they felt it was essential to them to gather in a large group to worship for comfort or whatever, the government can certainly be the arbiter of where they go afterward, especially if they are violating state mandates about how many can gather. I wish they could just be put in a big group quarantine and their pastor can keep preaching and bring them the comfort they seem to need. It’s not just about whether they are risking their own lives. Yes, that’s on them. It’s about risking the lives of family, friends and neighbors. They have no right to do that. It certainly isn’t showing “love of neighbor.” It’s the epitome of the selfish attitude “nobody is going to tell me what to do.”

I’m pretty cynical about why these preachers need a crowd when they preach and can’t live-stream their sermon like everyone else is doing. Ego and money. Jesus didn’t have anything good to say about that kind of ministry.
JMO MOO

BBM

BBM

BBM

If they felt it was essential to them to gather in a large group to worship for comfort or whatever, the government can certainly be the arbiter of where they go afterward, especially if they are violating state mandates about how many can gather. I wish they could just be put in a big group quarantine and their pastor can keep preaching and bring them the comfort they seem to need. It’s not just about whether they are risking their own lives. Yes, that’s on them. It’s about risking the lives of family, friends and neighbors. They have no right to do that. It certainly isn’t showing “love of neighbor.” It’s the epitome of the selfish attitude “nobody is going to tell me what to do.”

I’m pretty cynical about why these preachers need a crowd when they preach and can’t live-stream their sermon like everyone else is doing. Ego and money. Jesus didn’t have anything good to say about that kind of ministry.
JMO MOO

Absolutely. Quarantine them all. People can do whatever they feel is essential for themselves but are also responsible for the consequences.

Tony1902 said:
snipped by me...

Well @Niner, you can grow your own cotton and spin it, weave it, but it’s way labor intensive and I’m just not exactly sure how to make toilet paper. I did an experiment with some of my students on making paper but it’s waaay too harsh for toilet and pipes.

I've started growing it!

Its growing.jpg

Auntie Cipation]I think @Niner is growing some. She posted this photo of her garden a while back:

Yep! LOL!

I’m overly confused, lol. I avoided the news for the most part yesterday, taking a break from most things Covid. I was unaware we had so many separate threads.
I have had posts from this thread moved to another thread, and it’s confusing. We should be able to choose in which thread we want to post. I have been posting on the Texas thread as well as here, but don’t want to be forced to read 50 different threads from each state in America, each country, grocery shopping tips, etc.

I know this thread can be overwhelming, but I prefer it to the alternative.

I have had posts from this thread moved to another thread, and it’s confusing. We should be able to choose in which thread we want to post. I have been posting on the Texas thread as well as here, but don’t want to be forced to read 50 different threads from each state in America, each country, grocery shopping tips, etc.

I know this thread can be overwhelming, but I prefer it.

It’s all fixed! :) Earlier Tricia decided we could post here or in both places, so we can all stay here. If we think a post would also be good on another thread we can report it and ask a mod if it can be copied there.

But can you breathe through tightly woven fabrics?
You made me LOL :D Your post reminded me that you cannot breathe through plastic... I have yet to construct a face mask and I am really avoiding going in any stores at all for as long as possible. The guidance continues to, ...um, evolve:

Coronavirus study says it DOES spread through air and linger | Daily Mail Online

"... US scientists found high levels of the bug lurking in the air in rooms long after patients had left.

What's more is that traces of the coronavirus were also discovered in hospital corridors outside patients' rooms, where staff had been coming in and out.

The University of Nebraska researchers behind the study...

It follows a wealth of studies that have suggested the highly contagious disease does NOT just spread via droplets in a cough or sneeze.

...Their finding suggests people may be able to contract the bug without ever being in direct close proximity to an infected person.

...Lead author James Lawler, an infectious diseases expert at the Nebraska University, said in a statement: 'Our team was already taking airborne precautions with the initial patients we cared for. ..."

I read similar information about air samples from rooms and corridors containing airborne virus particles in a study from Japan.

I am a senior citizen but the craving unfortunately has not diminished!
I am a former smoker, I feel your pain. It took me many attempts, my father even offered to buy me a new car if I quit smoking and I still couldn’t do it.

I was able to finally quit when I became very ill with bronchitis. It took a few years before the “urge” to smoke finally stopped, but it did stop. Good song on the radio? Gotta have a ciggie. Glass of wine? Gotta have a ciggie. But the urge does stop.

But being forced to quit smoking? That is wrong. It is an addiction.

Last edited:
I am a former smoker, I feel your pain. It took me many attempts, my father even offered to buy me a new car if I quit smoking and I still couldn’t do it.

I was able to finally quit when I became very ill with bronchitis. It took a few years for the “urge” to smoke finally stopped, but it did stop. Good song on the radio? Gotta have a ciggie. Glass of wine? Gotta have a ciggie. But the urge does stop.

But being forced to quit smoking? That is wrong. It is an addiction.
You've nailed it... gotta, gotta!
Also had bad bronchitis last winter, that's why am worried.

This is funny. A humorous take on a serious subject. Larry David is the best.

"You know who you are…you're socializing too close."

Larry David teamed up with state officials for a light-hearted PSA urging Californians to stay at home amid the coronavirus outbreak.

ABC News on Twitter
Ha! This the only celebrity PSA that I have watched and enjoyed besides Ryan Reynolds’ instagram PSA. Ya gotta watch it.

“Another important message from another important celebrity.”

”I think in times of crisis, we all know it’s the celebrities that we count on the most to get us through this. Right after health care workers, first responders, people who work in essential services, ping pong players, mannequins, childhood imaginary friends...like 400 other types of people.”

I love this guy, thank you Canada!
Ryan Reynolds on Instagram: “Another important message from an important celebrity. Let’s spread the word, not the virus. I happily nominate @stevenpage…”

I think you can wear a mask and gloves and make a quick trip to get paper and markers, without dying or killing anyone.

I wouldn't do it in NYC, or LA...but I would do it responsibly in less infectious areas...JMO

Yeah, as someone who lives in one of those cities, I'm... not enamored, of this creeping general push telling me that I have to do things above and beyond what the government is currently telling me to do; and should not be doing things that the same sources have already said are qualified as essential exemptions (running, biking, or walking for exercise; shopping; getting clean clothes; etc.). My best friend is constantly bugging me to do things and worrying about things nobody else is worrying about (sample conversation: "What if the NYPD grabs you and arrests you because you're out walking some place where I've seen cop cars clustered on the pages of the New York Times?" Me: "Some day I'll figure out what the cop cars are clustering for and will tell you about it; but you forget, the mayor and governor have told us that this is a permissible use of our civil liberties; and I'm going to take it until they shut us down, because the way things are going, who knows how long that will be. To take your mind at ease, I will take supplemental photo ID with me from now on but dangit, stop telling me I should be a prisoner in my own home. Besides, human beings were not made to sit sixteen hours a day.") I do notice the mayor hasn't managed to supervise any type of job corralling the clusters of homeless people; nor does he seem concerned about representatives of the gigging economy clustering together outside grocery stores and restaurants 6-8 at a time and not practicing social distancing while doing so.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Did anyone/everyone here stock up on toilet paper, hand sanitizer, masks, etc., in January because of this looming pandemic? According to a study by Johns Hopkins, no country was prepared for the devastation of this pandemic.

Not US, however in early February, I started adding bits and pieces to my regular orders. Partly because of the threads here, partly because a friend I consider level-headed and calm in even the worst crisis, well she and her partner started stocking up on everything they’d need for a long lockdown. My feeling then was, if she’s worried then I should start paying attention.

I know I’m not the only one who calls their pets anything but their given name, but one of mine happens to be an Italian princess. I’m taking “la mia piccola principessa,” my little princess, to the vet tomorrow.

I made the appointment online and the vet will meet me at the clinic. I will wait in the car while they examine “il mio prezioso cane,” my precious dog, inside the clinic. :(

Not a big deal in the scope of things, but one more sucky thing this virus has caused. At least my vet is still open to some degree and getting some business.

I know I’m not the only one who calls their pets anything but their given name, but one of mine happens to be an Italian princess. I’m taking “la mia piccola principessa,” my little princess, to the vet tomorrow.

I made the appointment online and the vet will meet me at the clinic. I will wait in the car while they examine “il mio prezioso cane,” my precious dog, inside the clinic. :(

Not a big deal in the scope of things, but one more sucky thing this virus has caused. At least my vet is still open to some degree and getting some business.

Wishing your little princess (and you!) all the very best for her vet visit tomorrow.
Our vet and her head nurse are now the only ones working at the clinic as everyone else is furloughed. They have a similar system in place, in that the client needs to wait outside while the consult happens. I have the cats sit through a daily motivational speech in which I remind them of the importance of remaining healthy at this stressful time...

Wishing your little princess (and you!) all the very best for her vet visit tomorrow.
Our vet and her head nurse are now the only ones working at the clinic as everyone else is furloughed. They have a similar system in place, in that the client needs to wait outside while the consult happens. I have the cats sit through a daily motivational speech in which I remind them of the importance of remaining healthy at this stressful time...

Thank you so much! I love the motivational cat speeches. Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy!

I am actually extremely worried about her, she is old and has Cushing’s disease. It would crush me if...

Oh, she is il mio amore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member