Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have stay at home orders in Texas, but for some dumb reason our governor won’t call it that. o_O
I wonder why it has to be referred to as an “order”. A deadly virus is in circulation. Why anyone has to be “ordered” to remain home is beyond me. If a shooter was loose in any given hood, most people would lockdown, how is this dif?

Last edited:
Ok so this is crazy. I have developed a dry cough. :eek: Nothing else. I never get coughs and do not have allergy issues typically.
No other symptoms at all and trust me I am looking.

I get groceries delivered no contact. We have not been out for 14 days and that was to pick up a grocery order. I did have to sign a paper that time. It was outside.

I know you are not docs so I am just venting here.

A stay at home order has to come from the national level. In concept, this lets the virus peter out over the course of weeks, as people won't be moving and re-infecting populations. The variable state shutdowns is counterproductive, and will just lead to stretching this out over a longer period, with more painful results.

America is the least mentally prepared country for a pandemic, IMO. Countries that have better control over their populations, such as China (through whatever means necessary) and South Korea have excelled at containment.

In America, we're free, nobody tells us what to do. Live free or die!

Or live free and die...

Yeah I guess it’s stay at home for everyone but Christians? So weird IMO. No one is immune.

These "Churches" can barely be called churches, IMO. They're more concerned about collecting money each week than the health and safety of their parishioners. Our Catholic diocese suspended mass in early March and encouraged people to watch on TV or streaming online. You're not going to have much of a flock if you let them all die from the plague.

It actually is the same with the old age pension in Canada. You can't live on that. I was shocked at what my mother in Canada was trying to live on when she started receiving it, and the high cost of food and other essential items in Canada compared to the U.S.
And, contrary to Canada, IIRC, in the USA we have to pay our medicare and gap insurance from SS checks, if that is the only source of income. That's roughly $300 for medicare part B and a very minimum gap insurance. So, if you are a woman who gets the average <$1,200 SS check, you start the month with only $900. And that doesn't include part D medicare (drugs), and does not include dental care and eye glasses (refraction). Then, there is a yearly fee of over $100 (IIRC = $135 annual charge) just to start seeing a doctor, and co-pays and drug costs depending on your health.

Then, going back to this person making the average woman's monthly SS of 1,200, there is rent unless that person is lucky enough to own a house or live with relatives. If she does own a house, she pays property taxes and all the rest. Whether or not she rents or owns, there is electricity, heating, internet and phone charges. Does that person deserve to eat, and to have a pet? Does she deserve to pay for transportation ie bus or subway? Or should she just stay at home and be happy if there is heating in the house through the winter.

And don't forget that half of women SS recipients make less than the $1,200.

I get a little peeved at the assumption that a person can "pay the bills" on the average SS payment, a fund those seniors paid into for decades.

And who are begrudging a one time stimulus check of 1,200 to these seniors.

Last edited:
Ok so this is crazy. I have developed a dry cough. :eek: Nothing else. I never get coughs and do not have allergy issues typically.

I get groceries delivered no contact. We have not been out for 14 days and that was to pick up a grocery order. I did have to sign a paper that time. It was outside.

Like everyone told me when I had an anxiety attack at the grocery store, things will be okay.
We are all on pins and needles. I have had a cough for a month but the pollen is ridiculous where I am located.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted.

These "Churches" can barely be called churches, IMO. They're more concerned about collecting money each week than the health and safety of their parishioners. Our Catholic diocese suspended mass in early March and encouraged people to watch on TV or streaming online. You're not going to have much of a flock if you let them all die from the plague.

I'm a big fan of Darwian human actions.

Going to church gatherings isn't Darwinian because it doesn't affect just them. The congregations have blood on their hands for killings others, possibly including health care workers.

Vent away. Have you had your windows open? Could be pollen. Take your temp every day so you have a record. It's likely just a dry cough as you have been careful.

@Alethea can the government force churches to close, or not? Our governor simply asked for compliance. I find conflicting info, and am eager for your professional opinion. Tysm

idk if you read the link, it yesterday I posted about a Hopkins county,KY, church hosting a revival. Now, many of those in attendance are positive and the rest in quarantine.
And, in Louisiana....
Central pastor cited after defying coronavirus order: 'This is an attack on religion'
CENTRAL — A Central pastor accused of violating an order to limit crowd sizes amid an outbreak of the novel coronavirus set up a showdown for Tuesday night by pledging to hold church services just hours after being cited on six misdemeanor counts.​

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/new-y...hospital-beds-complicating-coronavirus-fight/

New York Has Thrown Away 20,000 Hospital Beds, Complicating Coronavirus Fight

"The Empire State had 73,931 licensed hospital beds in 2000 before years of cuts and closures shrank the number to just 53,000 in 2020, according to records obtained by the New York State Nurses Association from the state Health Department and stats provided by officials.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Tuesday the health officials believe they will need anywhere from 55,000 to 110,000 hospital beds to treat the expected wave of coronavirus victims."
Extremely poor planning...now begging for help. Dire straits for a city/state to be considered the epicenter, My heart goes out to NY.

Although I feel absolutely terrible for those people stuck on those ships, I have to be honest and say that I don’t want them docked in the state I live in, Florida.

Our governor still will not lock down our state. My county is on lock down as are a few others...but this was done by the mayors of those areas, not by the governor. South Florida is filled with many elderly people that will never have a chance if bringing in all these infected people there. It will then spread like wildfire throughout the state.
Yeah, I have a few choice words about your governor, that goes along with the Reverend in Louisiana LOL
Too bad the police can't step in and do something about these idiots.
You can't fix stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member