Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ain't buying this!!! He has a Director of Health and many other advisors. In addition, daily conference call with the WH task force, the nightly news, and every TV and newspaper in GA.

As we say in the south....You'd have to be living under a rock not to know.

Shame...on you Governor....

Moo..

Yup. I’m a nobody. Not a politician tasked with looking out for the well-being of my people. So how did I know this a month ago but he didn’t, despite constant reporting on the news?

So many failures by too many of our leaders. It’s unconscionable.

Our church in small town Tennessee (1 stop light in entire county) held a drive in service this past Sunday. Everyone sat in their vehicles or in a camping chair behind their vehicles, while our pastor spoke through a PA system at the entry way. I was impressed to see everyone adhering to social distancing guidelines. It was actually a very pleasant experience.

Seeing that in Virginia, parking lot preaching. Some drive in movies have opened for churches to use, as well.

HERE’S MORE. Researchers Have Found a Way to Sterilize and Reuse Face Masks During Pandemic
My dr. advised me against using peroxide after initial wound cleansing bc it stops new cells from generating. As in skin can’t heal. So this makes sense to me!

Here’s a question:

If someone has 4 surgical masks, can’t they just hang one up (being careful not to touch the front) and leave it for three days, using the others, and rotating? Any germs would die in three days, no?

There are so many poor and impoverished people in this country with no retirement, who live paycheck to paycheck or SS check to SS check. They are people who have worked hard their entire lives but maybe never had the means to prepare or the knowledge to prepare. I wish people didn't begrudge them. So many people are so well off and yet still resent some poor person getting a little windfall.

Why does it bother these people so much? "You" might have savings, investments, a pension. Why resent the poor who always have barely enough. Barely enough to cover their minimal expenses forget excess. They can't even get their teeth fixed when they need it. This $1,200 isn't enough for one person to get a root canal or a crown where I live. It's a drop in the bucket. And it will barely last, certainly nothing compared to the actual need.

When I start to feel envy towards someone else I remember to count my blessings. I don't have a lot that others have. But I do have a lot. I have more than most of the world. I am blessed in many ways. We are entering a period of deep suffering for so many people the world over. Let's rejoice when others are able to rejoice and grieve for others when they grieve.

I feel sometimes like we as a whole (world) are losing our sense of humanity. We're grumbling about poverty stricken senior citizens. People trapped on cruise ships and I can't even with the names they're being called. Every. Single. Person. Matters. Jmo

I have been on unpaid furlough since last week, as well as quite a few other clinical and non-clinical employees at the company where I work. Our clinics are not able to perform COVID-19 testing, and we don’t have enough PPE to see sick patients. And we stopped seeing routine visits as well. So our clinics have either closed completely or have severely reduced hours.

Yes, I already applied for unemployment but who knows how long it will take to receive payment?

I would say we didn’t welcome the lay off but we are glad that (supposedly) we will receive unemployment.
I think your UI will be timely. Some health care workers are relieved to have time off, only to be away from the sick.
Plus, many are making as much or more than their normal salary. I’m sure staying home eases their stress level.

Last edited:
Here’s a question:

If someone has 4 surgical masks, can’t they just hang one up (being careful not to touch the front) and leave it for three days, using the others, and rotating? Any germs would die in three days, no?

Sounds right to me. I dislike the fact that we’re being spoon fed disaster news daily about this virus. Yes it’s dangerous. Yes it could have been foreseen. Maybe. But hindsight is always 20/20.
With about 300 million people in the USA as of April 1, 2020, 100,000 deaths is .03% of the population. Some census site I looked at this am.
But stay safe. 6 feet is good. Better yet, stay home.

I am going to do keep a close eye. This really has to be something else. I have not had a realistic exposure. It seriously fly against all we know to be true if I had it. I have sanitized my groceries. Btw.
Pollen count is high but it usually does not bother me.

I started to notice symptoms at around age 55 and by 56 I was diagnosed with allergies. I was kind of surprised I developed later in life.

I have!! And I usually do not even use harsh chemicals. You might be on to something here.
Cough: dry cough - myDr.com.au
Comprehensive article on what it could be and how to deal with it.
Before we were talking about (I think Trudie's link) about humidity, I read another article that recommends 40-50% humidity. Amazon has low cost thermometers to measure indoor/outdoor temp and humidity in several spots, wirelessly. My sister uses this one from Amazon, but you have to look around and read the reviews.
ThermoPro TP63 Digital Wireless Hygrometer Indoor Outdoor Thermometer Wireless Temperature and Humidity Monitor with Cold- resistant and Waterproof Humidity Gauge, 200ft / 60m Range

Sounds right to me. I dislike the fact that we’re being spoon fed disaster news daily about this virus. Yes it’s dangerous. Yes it could have been foreseen. Maybe. But hindsight is always 20/20.
With about 300 million people in the USA as of April 1, 2020, 100,000 deaths is .03% of the population. Some census site I looked at this am.
But stay safe. 6 feet is good. Better yet, stay home.
We already at more than 5,000 deaths. It's a safe bet we will end up with more than 100,000 deaths.

In KY the simplest method to measure humidity is to walk outside, lol. If your hair is instantly wet and curly, it is humid.
I was out brushing my horse, I noticed a steady succession of vehicles. Where are they going? Walmart? Lowe’s?
I fear all hell is about to break loose in my county, as well as the three surrounding me. Two are very rural, people less likely to be informed, or care. Moo
Cough: dry cough - myDr.com.au
Comprehensive article on what it could be and how to deal with it.
Before we were talking about (I think Trudie's link) about humidity, I read another article that recommends 40-50% humidity. Amazon has low cost thermometers to measure indoor/outdoor temp and humidity in several spots, wirelessly. My sister uses this one from Amazon, but you have to look around and read the reviews.
ThermoPro TP63 Digital Wireless Hygrometer Indoor Outdoor Thermometer Wireless Temperature and Humidity Monitor with Cold- resistant and Waterproof Humidity Gauge, 200ft / 60m Range

I think your UI will be timely. Some health care workers are relieved to have time off, only to be away from the sick.
Plus, many are making as much or more then their normal salary.

I know in Virginia it's hard to get unemployment for medical professionals. Requiring UI recipients to apply for two jobs per week. You have to report weekly, where applied, type job and how applied.

There's are always nursing jobs, for less money and less desirable conditions, but they are forced to apply. If they are made an offer, they must except.

A nurse may have worked for a hospital for 20 years and then forced to work in a nursing home for less money and benefits. Once another job is obtained the previous employer have no obligation to rehire.

Yup!!! Nurses get a bum rap....

I am going to do keep a close eye. This really has to be something else. I have not had a realistic exposure. It seriously fly against all we know to be true if I had it. I have sanitized my groceries. Btw.
Pollen count is high but it usually does not bother me.

Could be dry air, as others have said. Are you taking any decongestants? I have a dry cough too, but that's become normal for me (had it since December, worsened in January, is slightly worse now). It's worse at night.

I spent the night researching what's known about the time between exposure and first symptom. Data is sketchy. Most studies (where the transmission date is known because it came from a specific person) say 6-10 days, up to 14-18 days. It also looks like people who have been exposed do not shed significant amounts of virus until about 4-6 days in.

Then once symptoms start, it's 2-28 days of symptoms, during which the person is contagious. Most people are contagious for 10 days after symptoms start, and not a lot is known about what happens next (but a month out, most people no longer have active viral shedding - just RNA fragments). That one month data is extremely conservative, some studies seem to show that most people stop shedding a transmissible form of the disease about 48-72 hours after their fever ends.

20-50% of people never have symptoms but are still transmitting for some unknown period of time, thought to be around 2-3 weeks, but clearly much less for some people.

It's all this uncertainty that's so hard.

If you have cough suppressant (dextromethorphan), there are quite a few recommendations that you go ahead and take it, to avoid irritation to your respiratory tract. I donno, not a medical doctor, am sitting here looking at my bottle of it right now. Guess I'll try it. Apparently I cough in my sleep, so constantly irritating my windpipe and bronchial tubes.

Wow, KY eliminated the need to job search.

I know in Virginia it's hard to get unemployment for medical professionals. Requiring UI recipients to apply for two jobs per week. You have to report weekly, where applied, type job and how applied.

There's are always nursing jobs, for less money and less desirable conditions, but they are forced to apply. If they are made an offer, they must except.

A nurse may have worked for a hospital for 20 years and then forced to work in a nursing home for less money and benefits. Once another job is obtained the previous employer have no obligation to rehire.

Yup!!! Nurses get a bum rap....

April 2: 66 additional COVID-19 cases in Iowa, 2 more deaths in Linn County 66 new postive cases today and 2 more passed in Iowa. We now have 614 positive cases and 11 passed.

That's about a 2% death rate for those who get tested (are symptomatic). I'm guessing the median age is probably around 80 years old. I"m watching Iowa because it's taken such a different course (and is of course much less populated than California or New York).

Sounds like your governor's plan hasn't had any big negative consequences and the economy will do better for it. All that California is doing is trying to make sure the deaths occur at a rate that doesn't overwhelm our hospitals, because then even more people die from other causes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millerx3