Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip - broken quote>

We are definitely due for a paradigm shift. There will be a new normal. We don't know what it will be yet. But we will adapt. We always do.

My mom and dad worked in a bomber factory in England during WW2. That's where they met. Because they manufactured airplanes they were always a bombing target. Air raid protocol was that in the event of a raid they were to take shelter under these enormously heavy lathe machines to protect themselves from falling debris. My mom's best friend, Renee, spent most of her money on film star magazines, chocolate and black market nylon stockings. At one point during an air raid she refused to get under the lathe because she 'was damned if she was going to get a ladder in her stockings that she'd paid two pounds six pence for on the black market'.

Going to the pictures was a welcome distraction but because the films were shown at night it meant that any time an air raid could happen. If the sirens wailed everyone would jump up and file out the theatre to get to the air raid shelters. So they didn't always get to see the end of the movie. Eventually, though, if a siren went off and the projectionist turned off the film, the audience would sit there stamping their feet, refusing to leave until he'd crank it up again and the audience would sit there in the dark watching the movie until whatever end came.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony launches $100 million global coronavirus fund

83eef688-b66a-4068-a6eb-f6b037572a52.jpg

Sony is gearing up to launch a $100 million fund to support those around the world who have been affected by the coronavirus pandemic.

The initiative would support frontline medical workers and first responders in the fight against the virus; help children and teachers who must now work remotely; and assist people working in the arts and entertainment industries, the company said in a statement released on Thursday.

[...]

Coronavirus live updates: Cases top 1 million globally - CNN

Cathay Pacific flew just 582 passengers one day this week. Now it's cutting capacity even further

ab99c046-f450-49af-a38a-6261cc721462.jpg

A Cathay Pacific passenger airplane takes off as other aircraft belonging to the airline are seen parked on the tarmac at Hong Kong International Airport on March 10.

[...]

The airline said it flew just 582 passengers in one day this week, down more than 99% on its daily expectations. The airline usually expects to fly around 100,000 passengers a day.

[...]

The airline will now only operate two long-haul flights per week to four destinations: London, Los Angeles, Vancouver and Sydney. In Asia, Cathay will maintain three weekly flights to eight destinations including Tokyo, Manila and Singapore.

[...]

He warned that employees in regions where capacity has been reduced or flights have been eliminated may need to take unpaid leave or furloughs.

In Reply to @Seenit, last thread, question about Captain Crozier

"I just be read that, too. Why would they do that?"

The strongly worded letter leaked to the media and generated a series of headlines.

"Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said Crozier was removed from his post because he sent the letter, over "non-secure unclassified email" to a "broad array of people" rather than up the chain of command."

"Captain Crozier did what he thought was in the best interest of the safety and well-being of his crew, but Unfortunately, it did the opposite. It unnecessarily raised the alarm of the families of our sailors and Marines with no plans to address those concerns."

Thomas Modly insisted the that decision was his alone saying the Captain allowed the complexity of the challenge of the COVID breakout on the ship to overwhelm his ability to act professionally.

Many people are very upset with Modly's decision. (More in the link)

Navy relieves captain who raised alarm about COVID-19 on ship
Thanks for sharing.
One of those things that's make you go hmmm....

We need to buckle down.
to kill this virus that needs to survive with it's human hosts.
This sickening killer needs us, to survive.
you can kill it, by not giving it a chance to jump into a new host.
stay home. Fight it. With every weapon you've got.
Heat, bleach, gloves, social distance.
Personally, for me.
I will do my best to NEVER buy anything from China again.
The anger I feel about this country who murders innocent animals is off my chart.
As are the number of deadly diseases, they continue to release to an innocent world.
Imo. Americans and other countrie's people should not be dying because of China's unholy, disrespect of this world and her inhabitants.
Yes. This is absolutely my opinion.
Yes. I am going to go kiss my 13 year old doggie.
Who is one of the most amazing friends ever.
I am So angry about what China has done to our world, economy, people and families.

More than 245,000 coronavirus cases in the US as of late Thursday Eastern Time

At least 245,213 cases of Covid-19 have been recorded in the United States, according to Johns Hopkins University's tally. Of those, 5,983 patients have died.

On Thursday, 28,491 new cases and 846 deaths were recorded, according to Johns Hopkins. The total includes cases from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and other US territories, as well as all repatriated cases.

Wyoming is the only state not to have reported a death from coronavirus.

At least 10 US states have closed school for the year as part of social distancing measures

At least 10 US states have closed schools through the end of the school year due to the novel coronavirus pandemic.

They are:
Schools in California are currently closed and both Gov. Gavin Newsom and the state's superintendent of public instruction have said it is unlikely they will be able to re-open before the end of the year.

I also do not blame the Chinese people for this. Those wet markets are the way many of them make their living, and if they want to eat meat and can't hunt or don't want to, that's how they have to obtain it if they don't have refrigeration.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Los Angeles mayor recommends people cover their faces in public

[...]

"Early data suggests that many who are infected with Covid-19 do not have symptoms, which is why everyone should wear cloth face coverings when leaving the house for essential activities. However, a face covering is not a substitute for other critical measures -- most importantly, staying home as much as possible, washing hands frequently, and practicing safe physical distancing in all settings."

The city's guidance can be found here

US public health officials at first advised against wearing masks, but may be shifting course. On Monday, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Robert Redfield, told NPR that his organization was reviewing its guidelines and may recommend general mask use to guard against community infection. President Trump said the government plans to release new recommendations on face masks in the coming days.

[...]

She [Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove] said the organization currently recommends that people who are ill or caring for the sick wear normal medical masks, while the more efficient N95s should be saved for frontline health-care workers. The WHO is studying other options, like whether the general public should use scarves to cover themselves.

[...]

(Will also post to California thread)

My American friend who lives in Timor Leste in SE Asia has been getting daily emails from the U.S. Embassy offering an opportunity for “repatriation” for U.S. citizens. Aside from the fact that she is married to a local who would not be eligible to come here, she wonders why she would leave a locked down country with one case (a foreigner quarantined quickly) to come to the epicenter of the world. If it does get a foothold there, it will spread quickly because of the poverty and crowded living conditions (large families), poor medical care and general suspicion of modern medicine. But Timor Leste was very aggressive about issuing a stay home order quickly and closing it off to travelers. So here’s hoping.

On Rachel Maddow (MSNBC) tonight, Governor Cuomo explained why the hospital ship and Javitts Center didn’t get used for non-Covid overflow hospital patients...there really aren’t many. Elective surgery was shut down, few people are out and about, cutting down on auto accidents and crimes, etc. So they have permission to use the Javitts Center (set up by the federal govt) for Covid patients after a phone call with President Trump today. But the hospital ship doesn’t want Covid patients because it would be too difficult to sanitize the ship afterward. Live and learn during this unprecedented time.

New York’s Monroe County has released from prison eight registered sex offenders — including three convicted of child rape — to stop the spread of the coronavirus, according to a report Tuesday.

The released inmates were registered as Level 3 sex offenders, meaning they have been deemed by a court as most likely to re-offend, reported WIVB News in Buffalo, New York.

This is getting past outrageous, it’s simply dangerous. They are in prison for a reason. Should the health of convicted child rapists and murderers be placed above the lives of law-abiding citizens and their children?

Three convicted child rapists released from N.Y. prison during coronavirus outbreak: Report

I am going to go out tomorrow for vegetable plants and soil.
I will be careful.
I feel it is a necessary outing.
P.S, Mr. Kali and I had a rare big time fight tonight.
I cannot imagine how other families are dealing with this current stress and the weeks ahead.
Of course, I was right, and he was wrong. Smile.
Our President warned of a bad time coming up.
I believe him. He knows much more then we do, hang in there America. Be kind.
Sincerely, sad Kali.
Mr Squinchy is going out in 2 days. We are preparing for it. Have to do it. About your fight.....in the words of Dolly Parton....by the time this is over you just might want Jolene to take your man! Like you I also believe the President. You take care.

(hmm... cotton fabrics should not be used for masks. Use reusable grocery bags instead. Read on. I think information in this article is true. Direction included.)

Popular Science
Make your own face mask—no sewing machine required
Researchers at the University of New South Wales who studied the use of reusable cloth masks several years ago found that doctors who wore them had a significantly higher chance of respiratory infection. Almost 97 percent of particles got through the cloth masks used in the study, compared with the 44 percent that penetrated synthetic medical masks. The cloth’s ability to retain moisture, plus the fact that the masks were reused, might have also contributed to their inefficiency.

No wonder that the World Health Organization says cloth masks are “not recommended under any circumstances” in healthcare settings during the COVID-19 outbreak.
.......Because of researchers’ hypotheses about cotton masks’ hydrophilic (water-loving) qualities contributing to higher rates of respiratory infection, we’ve stayed with MakerMask’s suggestion to use a hydrophobic synthetic material similar (but not identical) to the material used in surgical masks. And many people have it right in their own home.

Last edited:
It’s looks good news for Australia. Fingers crossed. View attachment 241564

We had a cruise ship let loose of 2,700 passengers to all corners
View attachment 241565

How the Ruby Princess became the coronavirus epicentre in Australia

I hope you are well TGY :) Isn't the whole Ruby Princess situation devastating. So many infected! Heads are probably going to roll over the decisions make. IMO Australia is going to have rolling waves of outbreaks, states are all at different stages. I think we are yet to see the worst - I'm quite worried about the impact our elections had last week here in Brisbane - I am staying home most of the time now!

Not sure how I feel about this latest from the Queensland Premier:

Ms Palaszczuk said that “we’re not even on the curve yet”.

“We (Queensland) haven’t even started to climb the curve,” she said.

“The evidence is telling me we are about two or three weeks behind NSW and the peak could be in July, August, September.

“As I said there is extensive modelling, there is extensive preparation happening.”

Category: | The Courier Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members