Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a bit concerning for Florida residents that has a governor who finally signed a stay at home order for the state after much, much pressure, but still allowing religious services and still not closing beaches. You have to wonder if Florida is prepared to handle this epidemic, especially with all the elderly people in South Florida where these ships dock,

There are still many ships out there (maybe 25) with six thousand passengers.

There should be ONE serious group, that has been designated to do the PLAN for cruise ships. I feel it should definitely be military experts in logistics, and command and control. There are a lot of military bases outside of Florida, there are massive closed shipping/cruise centers in Central Florida...all those DIsney cruises closed down earlier than others. I feel we have to help all those passengers...we just need to do it right.

Hopefully, In the future there will be some major "International Payback and Pay it Forward" going on. We all need each other to help.

UK hospital deaths rise by 684 to 3,605

A total of 3,605 patients have died in hospital after testing positive for coronavirus in the UK as of 5pm on Thursday, the Department of Health said, up by 684 from 2,921 the day before.

The Department of Health said that, as of 9am on Friday, a total of 173,784 people have been tested of which 38,168 tested positive.

For context, the previous day’s rise was a further 569 deaths, which took the total to 2,921, and another 33, 718 tests were positive for Covid-19, a rise of 4,244.

UK coronavirus live: hospital death toll reaches 3,605, a record daily rise of 684

I frankly don't believe this. It really contradicts what was reported about it spreading here in the US. We know it spread to nearly everyone at choir practice. We know it spread at conventions, churches, birthday celebrations, family dinners. It also spread widely on many cruise ships, even after passengers were ordered to stay in their cabins.

I don't know who to believe.....

A. The choir practice spread where 41 out what, 52 people? developed Covid-19 after brief contact with each other while using hand sanitizer and social distancing spread reporting was done evidently reported by CNN.

B. Now a cruise ship and a US navy aircraft carrier are reporting relatively low transmission rates despite ultra crowded environments and long term contact.

A and B seem to be contradictory. Using the reported choir group story, every one on that carrier should have Covid- probably several times over. I am going to go with the navy over CNN.

United Kingdom

The Queen has recorded a special broadcast on the coronavirus outbreak to be broadcast on Sunday, Buckingham Palace said.

UK coronavirus live: hospital death toll reaches 3,605, a record daily rise of 684

I’m glad Her Majesty The Queen is doing this broadcast. I hope it will boost morale during this extremely difficult time particularly with older people who are unable to see their loved ones.

UK hospital deaths rise by 684 to 3,605

A total of 3,605 patients have died in hospital after testing positive for coronavirus in the UK as of 5pm on Thursday, the Department of Health said, up by 684 from 2,921 the day before.

The Department of Health said that, as of 9am on Friday, a total of 173,784 people have been tested of which 38,168 tested positive.

For context, the previous day’s rise was a further 569 deaths, which took the total to 2,921, and another 33, 718 tests were positive for Covid-19, a rise of 4,244.

The UK death rate is so high. I don't understand if it is really this bad or if lack of testing is just making it seem that way.

On Rachel Maddow (MSNBC) tonight, Governor Cuomo explained why the hospital ship and Javitts Center didn’t get used for non-Covid overflow hospital patients...there really aren’t many. Elective surgery was shut down, few people are out and about, cutting down on auto accidents and crimes, etc. So they have permission to use the Javitts Center (set up by the federal govt) for Covid patients after a phone call with President Trump today. But the hospital ship doesn’t want Covid patients because it would be too difficult to sanitize the ship afterward. Live and learn during this unprecedented time.
I wonder how the Hospital Ship will keep Covid positives from being admitted. Think about it: a non-symptomatic person has a gallbladder attack/heart attack/breaks an ankle. Without rapid testing, there's no way to determine if they are treating a "positive." IMO

Mixed feelings on this. American citizens have a right to disembark. The others? No. But, I do have empathy for all passengers. On the other side of the coin, why did these passengers go on a cruise when the virus was known? Makes me nearly as angry as the spring break kids in FL.

Did the sick passengers from the US have a right to disembark from the cruise ship in Japan?

United Kingdom

Kate Garraway is left 'sick with worry' as her husband Derek Draper battles coronavirus in intensive care while she isolates at home with their children after displaying mild symptoms

Kate Garraway's husband Derek Draper in intensive care with coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Kate Garraway is a well known television and radio presenter in the U.K, she is one of the presenters on morning show Good Morning Britain. I really hope her husband survives and recovers.

I don't feel sick. Should I wear a face mask?

367c54c8-df5b-4a34-9f8f-f4e570ac10cf.jpg

[...]

"What we recommend is that people who are sick wear masks -- medical masks, not N95 masks with respirators. Those must be reserved for our frontline workers who are caring for patients," she said.

"We also need people who are caring for those who are sick to be wearing the masks," she said.

[...]

"We have to prioritize the use of masks for frontline workers, if that is one thing I can stress. Medical masks, respirators, gloves, gowns, these are people who are putting their lives on the line to help us, to care for other people and they must be protected," she said.

[...]

On Monday, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Robert Redfield, told NPR that his organization was reviewing its guidelines and may recommend general mask use to guard against community infection. Trump said the US plans to release new recommendations on face masks in the coming days.

[...]

Read more about the global debate on face masks here:
Asia may have been right about coronavirus and face masks, and the rest of the world is coming around

Coronavirus live updates: Cases top 1 million globally - CNN

Am I the only one that gets angry every time I see so-called "experts" telling the public to only wear masks if you are sick? This seems the equivalent of telling civilians under random sniper fire that they should not wear a bullet proof vest, even if they already own one, because we don't want the public buying up all the bullet proof vests. Sure you may get from place to place quickly a few times without a sniper getting you but eventually risky practices are going to catch up to you. I'm not in favor of playing Russian roulette with my health and the health of my family while all I'm doing is trying to keep them from starving, TYVM.

I totally understand that the medical workers need the masks the most but they could at least tell everyone else to cover their faces with what they have when they have to go out. The president has started saying in the last couple press briefings that people could use scarfs to cover their face to go to the store. But he's been very non-committal about it and the way he says it makes it sound like it's OK to do if it makes you feel better to do it. I wish the people at the top would URGE people to use scarfs and make their own masks. Sure, it's not as good as an N-95 mask but it's better than nothing. Why can't they at least tell people that!

I'm also pissed off right now because My DH had to go to his office this morning. He has been working from home but he still has had to go to the office about once a week for things that he can't do remotely. A couple times he could do what he needed to from the safety of his truck. One time last week he had to physically go in the building and the guards wouldn't let him enter with a mask on. They told him if he was wearing a mask it meant he was sick and infectious. So he took his mask off, did what he had to and got out as fast as he could. How stupid is that? That they let him enter after he took his mask off. What's to prevent someone who is sick and not taking this seriously from doing the same thing? Now he has to go enter that building again. He promised me not to touch his face, to wash his hands and to stay as far away from other people as he could. But I fear it won't be enough. He took a mask with him in case the business has changed their policy on masks.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just so angry that this bad advice to not wear masks continues to be put out there. The tide seems to be slowly changing in favor of masks for the public but it's way too slow for my comfort. :mad::(:confused:o_O

MOO.

I woke up this morning and started my normal routine. Coffee first (of course) then sat at my computer and instead of going into my normal bank account checks and going over bills to make sure everything is getting paid, I went to my go to Coronavirus websites to see what the counts are up to, checked our news source to see the daily news (filled with coronavirus news of the grimmest nature) logged into my children's school accounts to see today's assignments. I stopped for a second and thought to myself "Is this real life or am I dreaming this?"
It was just a month ago I was getting the kids ready to go to school, kissing my husband as he heads out for the day, getting myself ready for work. Planning the weekend activities (park, bike rides and seeing family).
But, today I am planning a grocery trip that feels like a military operation. Researching how to make a homemade mask to wear into town, wondering if the little bit of hand sanitizer is going to last. Wondering if they are going to have the food in stock that we need to last another week with 6 people (2 teenagers YIKES) Praying that they have bleach or lysol this time so that I can use it if needed because the 3 lysol sheets that are left in my container (that was bought 4 months ago) are going to get used to clean our groceries.
This new normal feels like I'm watching a movie and doesn't end except I'm in it and it SUCKS.
I hope everyone is well (physically and mentally) I have been on auto drive for a while now and today it the first day that I actually took a step back and all I could say was "WHOA"

I guess the purpose of this post is this: keep going! This too shall pass and we will be stronger after it. I have only been a member of this site for a few months but I can say that I have come to care of everyone of you. Just keep swimming!

Kentucky plans to release more than 900 prisoners because of the COVID-19 outbreak

I know this is happening in every state, I understand there is no alternative, our prisons & jails are not medically staffed like a hospital. But......this is beginning to concern me as much as the virus. Personally, I don’t see an onslaught of fresh from years of lock up persons willing to stay in another two weeks. I don’t care what level criminal get released, the fact remains they broke the law to the degree prison was imposed. Jmo
Also, they will be tested prior to release. What about where they plan to go, will those people be tested?
Who can police released inmates? As we know most LE cut way back on calls they respond to. Smh and all moo.

Yeah we are not supposed to panic. Well I wasn’t panicking until now!!

There is no way these monsters should be able to be released and it will be OVER MY DEAD BODY this happens in Colorado I’ll tell you that!!!

Seriously, we’ve got to spring into action and I mean FAST. Doesn’t matter if it’s Colorado, NY, any child rapist needs to stay where they belong, in prison!!!

I think each of us needs to write our congressmen, our governors, let them now this is a huge concern, let them know this can’t happen... we can do this. We’ve got to do something. I can’t just sit here and watch this happen. :( :(

This goes beyond civil rights or humanity, this is endangering innocent children and law abiding citizens like @Snoods said.

Yeah I can’t take it. It would be different if there was no other answer...but there has GOT to be another answer!

There is another answer to this problem and it is NOT letting child rapists out of prison!!!

@gitana1 , @Tricia , everyone, help, what can we do...

I’m with ya Margarita. It feels like I’m in a horror movie.

Am I the only one that gets angry every time I see so-called "experts" telling the public to only wear masks if you are sick? This seems the equivalent of telling civilians under random sniper that they should not wear a bullet proof vest, even if they already own one, because we don't want the public buying up all the bullet proof vests. Sure you may get from place to place quickly a few times without a sniper getting you but eventually risky practices are going to catch up to you. I'm not in favor of playing Russian roulette with my health and the health of my family while all I'm doing is trying to keep them from starving, TYVM.

I totally understand that the medical workers need the masks the most but they could at least tell everyone else to cover their faces with what they have when they have to go out. The president has started saying in the last couple press briefings that people could use scarfs to cover their face to go to the store. But he's been very non-committal about it and the way he says it makes it sound like it's OK to do if it makes you feel better to do it. I wish the people at the top would URGE people to use scarfs and make their own masks. Sure, it's not as good as an N-95 mask but it's better than nothing. Why can't they at least tell people that!

I'm also pissed off right now because My DH had to go to his office this morning. He has been working from home but he still has had to go to the office about once a week for things that he can't do remotely. A couple times he could do what he needed to from the safety of his truck. One time last week he had to physically go in the building and the guards wouldn't let him enter with a mask on. They told him if he was wearing a mask it meant he was sick and infectious. So he took his mask off, did what he had to and got out as fast as he could. How stupid is that? That they let him enter after he took his mask off. What's to prevent someone who is sick and not taking this seriously from doing the same thing? Now he has to go enter that building again. He promised me not to touch his face, to wash his hands and to stay as far away from other people as he could. But I fear it won't be enough. He took a mask with him in case the business has changed their policy on masks.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just so angry that this bad advice to not wear masks continues to be put out there. The tide seems to be slowly changing in favor of masks for the public but it's way too slow for my comfort. :mad::(:confused:o_O

MOO.
Exactly. I like your analogy of a sniper randomly shooting people, and authorities who are telling these people to not wear bullet proof vests, because we need vests for first responders. How about making more masks instead of telling people not wear them? Why were we (US) exporting large number of PPEs to China and other countries at the start of the outbreak? Other countries prohibited export of PPEs because they knew they were going to need them, US didn't.

The rapid rise in US coronavirus cases: America now has DOUBLE the number of infections as Europe epicenter Spain and is reporting five times as many illnesses as China did during its peak

The US continues to outpace every other country in coronavirus cases as the pandemic spreads.

There are more than 245,000 confirmed cases in America. That is twice as many as the country with the second-highest number of cases: Spain at 117,000.

In just a matter of weeks, the US surpassed other countries once considered to be the epicenter of the global outbreak including China, Italy, Germany, Iran and South Korea.

A new graph shows that just 20 days after the first case was reported, the US had more than 20,000 cases.

The rapid rise in US coronavirus cases: America has DOUBLE the number of infections as Spain | Daily Mail Online

1340DD40-2679-4F22-A569-86D6B2FB5EBE.jpeg

#StayHomeSaveLives

Exactly. I like your analogy of a sniper randomly shooting people, and authorities who are telling these people to not wear bullet proof vests, because we need vests for first responders. How about making more masks instead of telling people not wear them? Why were we (US) exporting large number of PPEs to China and other countries at the start of the outbreak? Other countries prohibited export of PPEs because they knew they were going to need them, US didn't.

Canada sent 16T of medical supplies to China at the start of their epidemic. The goal was to stop the epidemic in China. That failed, but that is the reason that countries sent supplies to the first epicentre.

@Blissfully_B it does seem like that. Hopefully this movie will be over soon. But, I still think that we are only ten minutes into the three hour film.

In a strange way, I just want to get the virus, and move forward. But, if I get it, my husband will get it, and that would be a lot of work for me...of course.

This is just so messed up. It wouldn't surprise me if our current President just said that he was done, and gave the entire presidential campaign a whole new spin.

This is also a problem for supplies arriving at their intended destination:

"Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau this week expressed concerns over reports that medical supplies originally designated for Canada have been shipped to the United States.

Trudeau told reporters Thursday that he has asked the country’s public safety minister and transport minister to investigate the reports, Sky News reported, saying that "we need to make sure that [coronavirus] equipment that is destined for Canada gets to and stays in Canada.”

"We are working together [with US officials]. We understand that the needs of the United States are real, but the needs of Canada are also real. And we need to work together to that end," Trudeau said, according to the outlet."​

Trudeau worried supplies meant for Canada have been diverted to US

I woke up this morning and started my normal routine. Coffee first (of course) then sat at my computer and instead of going into my normal bank account checks and going over bills to make sure everything is getting paid, I went to my go to Coronavirus websites to see what the counts are up to, checked our news source to see the daily news (filled with coronavirus news of the grimmest nature) logged into my children's school accounts to see today's assignments. I stopped for a second and thought to myself "Is this real life or am I dreaming this?"
It was just a month ago I was getting the kids ready to go to school, kissing my husband as he heads out for the day, getting myself ready for work. Planning the weekend activities (park, bike rides and seeing family).
But, today I am planning a grocery trip that feels like a military operation. Researching how to make a homemade mask to wear into town, wondering if the little bit of hand sanitizer is going to last. Wondering if they are going to have the food in stock that we need to last another week with 6 people (2 teenagers YIKES) Praying that they have bleach or lysol this time so that I can use it if needed because the 3 lysol sheets that are left in my container (that was bought 4 months ago) are going to get used to clean our groceries.
This new normal feels like I'm watching a movie and doesn't end except I'm in it and it SUCKS.
I hope everyone is well (physically and mentally) I have been on auto drive for a while now and today it the first day that I actually took a step back and all I could say was "WHOA"

I guess the purpose of this post is this: keep going! This too shall pass and we will be stronger after it. I have only been a member of this site for a few months but I can say that I have come to care of everyone of you. Just keep swimming!
You very accurately described how I am feeling these days! One day at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam