Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Per Dr. Gupta, it is safe to be around people that have isolated completely. Of course that excludes strangers. Stranger danger is prevalent, as we know.
I think this was a wise decision. My step-niece and family are still in NYC with a child only months old. Family tried to get them to leave, but they thought this would pass. Now they are stuck inside a small apartment, and, as you stated, this could be a long haul.

I have been seeing this as well. So LOW in Germany, but so high in Italy, France and UK. I see the UK is over 8%... Hopefully some of our Brits can weigh in.

I am watching as Florida is now outpacing Lousiana with total cases, but Florida has 1/2 of the fatality rate. Florida is getting "special fed treatment" of course. I am getting livid for some of these other states just begging for help.

The UK did not implement lessons learned from China, then Italy, then France quickly enough. IMO they over-simplified the advice and then locked down too-little, too-late.

There has been little to no testing/contact-tracing. The only people tested are those who are hospitalised.

Locally, I have 4 close relatives who seem to have had it (mildly enough to manage at home, like a nasty dose of flu), and none of those 3 had had any contact with each other. I know 2 families with young children who have been down with it.

I know of one person locally who has been in intensive care.

My point is that it is rife. And all of those mild cases are not included in any stats.

ETA Four people/three separate groupings.
ETA 2 There are numerous people locally in intensive care, I meant I know of one of those.

@Alethea avoid the spinach if you do shop, dreams come true.
What more can be done to get the country to follow directives? Arrests? Do you have any input? Tysm

I think there needs to be widespread wholesale testing. No one likes to admit it but people tend to take things more seriously when someone they know personally is affected. It's good that celebrities and politicians are stepping up to announce they are positive. You can warn people about a problem day and night but if they don't think it will affect them many people are too selfish to accept it. Once their neighbor is in the hospital, they suddenly believe.

Important community figures need to stress how serious this is to their audiences. Even in criminal law and in the justice system you count on most people not committing crimes. You need to be able to count on most people doing the right thing. People who flout the recommendations should be publicly shamed and vilified. You need societal pressure to do the right thing.

I also think the rules need to be clarified and local leaders need to take this seriously and establish, clearly, what can and cannot be done. There are so many exceptions the rules are barely there. My state has a 16 page list of "essential" businesses, including landscaping and golf course maintenance. I know why they allow golf course maintenance - because you don't want communities to look like overgrown zombie wastelands and it's a "socially distanced" business of one person on a riding mower - but it looks TERRIBLE (IMO!) that it's considered "essential" without explanation.

If you had widespread testing and fever checks you could say people who have tested negative and do not have a fever can work in certain semi-essential businesses. The risk of one person at a time shopping in a small retail store (where the employees have tested negative and shoppers do not have a fever) is small compared to movie theaters where asymptomatic people could infect large groups.

This whole thing has been depressing to me in that I didn't really believe before there were large segments of the population who will not voluntarily do the right thing. People are NOW complaining about state overreach but you wouldn't have needed state-issued rules if people would stop being so selfish and do the right thing for their communities (i.e. stay home). I don't know.

Every country has a duty of care to ensure their health professionals have effective and sufficient PPE. Healthy people do not need to be out and about with their whole family or wearing masks that could save nurses lives at the end of the day. This is going to get worse before it gets better peeps. Do not go out unless it is essential.

Our Governor, on down to local officials are encouraging us to use the parks. It so bad, they have closed the playgrounds due to large groups of kids.

I just don't get it...My Governor is not saying the same thing Dr Brix and Dr Facui are.

Today, Governor ask folks not to have parties on the beach and the park service was complaining of large gatherings. None the less, he keeps them open.
Moo

From your link

"About 200,000 N95 masks made by the manufacturer GM were diverted to the US as they were being transferred between planes in Thailand, according to the Berlin authorities who had ordered the masks for the police force."​

Canadian supplies were "diverted" to the US a couple of days ago as well. Something needs to be done about this modern piracy! I suppose other countries need to use retaliation if it happens again.

I'm glad they were able to get out. I don't blame them, with a baby on the way.
Best of luck to them both. Moo
I hesitated to post this as I don't want any negativity towards my family at this time, but my niece and her husband live in Harlem in a basement apartment.

He is a speech therapist, she is an actress on Broadway.

She is 7 months pregnant with her first child (its a Girl!)

When the talk of closing NYC down was in the news this past weekend, they made their escape from NYC. Leaving at 3 am, driving to my sister's house (her mom) in Northern VA. Her husband pumped gas with disposable gloves, my niece used the potty only on the side of the road. They stopped for nothing else.

They are safe at my sisters home (thank God!) ..my sister's gyn took over her care and she will give birth in a hospital out there. She has gone for her first appointment and ultrasound already in VA. They made her wait in the car and only take in one patient at a time, so when that one leaves, they clean up and then call them in their car to come in. That's all I know so far.

They are doing a semi quarantine at my sisters home for 14 days, but its difficult she says, because she makes them food...still they are doing the best they can and my sister lives in a McMansion, so they have already transformed a bunch of rooms into a little apartment for them. Only thing is my sister wishes now that they had finished their basement long ago...

I don't see where they will be able to return to the city any time in the future. I jokingly told my sister that they will at least be there until baby girl is one year old. I can think of worst things...at least she will have lots of help and what a chance to be there for your first grandchild!

Just some insight of what is going on out there. My whole family was on pins and needles during this 3am trip of theirs out of the city getting posts as they were traveling.

Some of us attract "talkers" more than others. People have to learn that it is about safety and not to take it as being unfriendly. I have never really liked being approached like you in the past. I usually try to smile and get out of the area quickly. You have a right to ask her to give you some space!
New evidence suggest covid can be transmitted by just talking. With that in mind, strangers shouldn't be even talking to other strangers in supermarkets.

Sheesh. What idiots to come up with this. I hope they can trace down who started this and turn their internet access off!

News of President Vladimir Putin releasing nearly 800 lions and tigers on the streets of Russian cities went viral on social media.

The fake news, many believed was real, reported that the Russian president warned the citizens by unleashing the lions and tigers on the streets to stop them from going outside during the current coronavirus pandemic.

Fake video of lions and tigers on the streets in Russia creates panic online

This was updated at 8:25 am est, so the numbers are not correct for the states that are updating at noon everyday. I have not checked all states and compared the differences

I think it is close, my state and others don’t update at noon.

I hesitated to post this as I don't want any negativity towards my family at this time, but my niece and her husband live in Harlem in a basement apartment.

He is a speech therapist, she is an actress on Broadway.

She is 7 months pregnant with her first child (its a Girl!)

When the talk of closing NYC down was in the news this past weekend, they made their escape from NYC. Leaving at 3 am, driving to my sister's house (her mom) in Northern VA. Her husband pumped gas with disposable gloves, my niece used the potty only on the side of the road. They stopped for nothing else.

They are safe at my sisters home (thank God!) ..my sister's gyn took over her care and she will give birth in a hospital out there. She has gone for her first appointment and ultrasound already in VA. They made her wait in the car and only take in one patient at a time, so when that one leaves, they clean up and then call them in their car to come in. That's all I know so far.

They are doing a semi quarantine at my sisters home for 14 days, but its difficult she says, because she makes them food...still they are doing the best they can and my sister lives in a McMansion, so they have already transformed a bunch of rooms into a little apartment for them. Only thing is my sister wishes now that they had finished their basement long ago...

I don't see where they will be able to return to the city any time in the future. I jokingly told my sister that they will at least be there until baby girl is one year old. I can think of worst things...at least she will have lots of help and what a chance to be there for your first grandchild!

Just some insight of what is going on out there. My whole family was on pins and needles during this 3am trip of theirs out of the city getting posts as they were traveling.

I can relate... I truly begged my daughter and boyfriend to leave NYC and come stay with me...much earlier on (she was still travelling subways every day), but could not convince her. We would have been way beyond any quarantine we set up. Now its impossible...

Just got back from Publix, and I feel like the meanest woman in town.

I was looking at mushrooms, and a women came up, six inches away, and asked if they were good for shishkabob. Said 'I don't know' and moved away. Seconds later she is right on top of me again. I moved away and said 'please stay further away from me'. She looked absolutely shocked and hurt. I think she left the store.

I don't know what else I could have done. She would have been in my personal space in ordinary times. The store has signage, people are wearing masks and gloves ~ does she live under a rock?

I'm done shopping for quite a while.

My last shopping trip was over a week ago. I went during senior hour. Employees at the store were washing carts and other surfaces with cloths dipped into warm bleach solution. The entrances were controlled so only 75 could be in the store at a time and the employee at entrance urged 6' social distancing inside, which most honored. But, in the produce section, there was one woman who was coughing constantly, holding a soggy diaper size rag over her mouth and nose as she did so. She stood over the produce bins for about 10 minutes as I kept my distance far away, waiting for her to leave before entering the opposite side of the produce section myself, to buy a few packaged items (which I bleached when I returned home - including the contents, which I then rinsed multiple times).

I could not believe, with all the efforts made to keep surfaces disinfected and control social distancing, that a store employee did not approach the woman, ask her to leave and offer to have her grocery order delivered (which this store does do). There were multiple employees working in the produce section when this woman was there.

That's the last time I am going out unless I get desperate. This week, I ordered what fresh food I could online and we will live with our supply of frozen/canned vegetables and fruits until we are out.

Regarding government business loans. My bank not ready.
They took down my information and will get back to me.
The details were just released. It will take banks a day or two to read, analyze the details and seek clarification on questions. As, they start to work through the process, feedback and changes may occur.

The ones who apply first will be the most frustrated, as the kinks are worked out. This has been my experience with any and all new government programs that are "rapid launch", without a pilot test site first.

Everyone will get this figured out quickly. Seems this administration believes in simplification.

Moo...

The UK did not implement lessons learned from China, then Italy, then France quickly enough. IMO they over-simplified the advice and then locked down too-little, too-late.

There has been little to no testing/contact-tracing. The only people tested are those who are hospitalised.

Locally, I have 4 close relatives who seem to have had it (mildly enough to manage at home, like a nasty dose of flu), and none of those 3 had had any contact with each other. I know 2 families with young children who have been down with it.

I know of one person locally who has been in intensive care.

My point is that it is rife. And all of those mild cases are not included in any stats.

ETA Four people/three separate groupings.
ETA 2 There are numerous people locally in intensive care, I meant I know of one of those.
Right....those aren't even being counted? Are they trying to get people to report it even if they don't get tested.. That fatality rate is just horrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member