***Jury Recommends DEATH for Mark Sievers*** Penalty/Sentencing Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
MS's supporters (step mom) have shelled out a lot of money already to retain MM. IMO, they cant afford to pay MM anymore.
I can't even imagine how much this all cost. Anyone have any guesses? For some reason I envisioned in my mind they were not billing all of their hours. Not that anything I've read or heard encourages me to believe so, just that HOW CAN SOMEONE AFFORD IT? It's not comparable to buying a new car, or a new house for that matter. Billing 4 years worth of work on a death penalty case has got to be astronomical, imo. And I pictured MM being so emotionally invested that he would handle the appeals pro-bono

IMHO it really didn't look like he had his heart into it during the post trial hearings. Judge Kyle didn't waver from anything. Maybe he simply feels it's lost cause and he could better use his time and efforts for better paying jobs. I would.

I am not surprised by his withdrawal from the case. MS has no money to pay (although MM would receive some fee for service, it would not be his normal hourly). MS needs a new lawyer to argue ineffective counsel which is a joke because MM had little to work with but MS will try. I would think that MS would want a DP certified lawyer to make his appeals anyway to make sure all arguments are well done and are competently linked to the DP.

MS should be ashamed that his family had to pay for his counsel when he was so clearly guilty on all accounts. Of course, this is MOO.

Interesting. I wonder why he decided to withdrawal.
Hiya BOBBYWOO! Great question.
#1?) "The rules of professional conduct may discuss permissible reasons for a lawyer to withdraw as counsel. One common reason is because the client has not paid the bill. ... The rules may require the lawyer to provide reasonable warnings and opportunities to pay the bill before the lawyer can withdraw from the case." (per Google)
#2?) An irreconcilable difference on defense strategy
#3?) "You can't fire me. I quit!" scenario???
#4?) Nothing will change the outcome and time to move on to other cases?
Just thinking out loud here, but I'd imagine MM has other cases and clients. It would be unimaginable for an attorney to work one case for the rest of his career, IMO. The "technology evidence" in the case was irrefutable. At some point, even MM had to realize the evidence was overwhelming. I noticed (and so did everyone else) no explanation was ever given for the purchase and use of burner phones, other than the furtherance of a crime.
BTW, if anyone else can think of a "major issue" the defense failed to address, I'd love to read it. Thank you, IQ.

I thought MM was being paid for by the state as his defense because he didn't have the money to pay for a private attorney and he requested MM? MOO
Also, in my opinion MM was a bit upset that MS was thanking him and wanting to shake his hand before the actual decision was rendered by the jury. I'm almost positive that's something I saw while watching the trial.

I thought MM was being paid for by the state as his defense because he didn't have the money to pay for a private attorney and he requested MM? MOO
Also, in my opinion MM was a bit upset that MS was thanking him and wanting to shake his hand before the actual decision was rendered by the jury. I'm almost positive that's something I saw while watching the trial.
Yeah, he was declared indigent around July 2016 and the state has been paying for Mummert since then (at state rates).

The second part I can't remember specifically, I recall MM being emotional at some point. I'd have a look through the videos but I'm quite enjoying not having Mark's image in my head. Maybe in a few months I'll revisit it.

I'm sure someone else can confirm.

@Oregonmama posted this on the sidebar, so I thought I'd post it on his own thread....

Supreme court ordered that all transcripts and trial proceedings be unsealed to submit to them for Mark's appeal. April 8th is a status conf hearing re this matter.

The real badasses are the angels that swoop down on demons and catch their prey. Did everybody spot the wings on the black leather jacket (vest) on "The Road Trip"? I did. Thank You to the detectives that worked on this case. And we will be forever grateful to Rose--the sweet fragrance of Justice. Thank You, Rose. xoxoxo!

I'm a bit confused now & can't remember... knew Mark was declared indigent but remember reading his step mom was paying for some aspect of his defense (?). I did think his defense was working for state pay, not their usual costs. Anyway, just my thoughts/opinion but Mark's family choosing to PAY for any aspect of his defense was a CHOICE they made. Don't tell me they never saw the 'cracks in the foundation' of Mr Father, Supportive Husband and Son of the Year as such is always discernable even in subtle ways. People see things in their own but denial steps in & the hamster wheel never stops turning. Sorry but I have NO SYMPATHY here for Mark or step-mom concerning financial support as he used them as usual (EX: his own mom w/alarm)... although his family indeed has suffered loss. The real loss here is the Siever girls... this 'show' went on thru their childhood then took a different turn when Big Daddy was arrested, tried, convicted and rightly sentenced to DEATH. So sad as they will someday REALLY see the whole picture... as they will understand what all took place. How they each will perceive that then come to terms with all remains. Prayers for these girls as they continue life as it is now... bless them as they go, give them 'peace that passes all understanding', discernment in their lives and the strength to continue forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong