Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
New York hospitals are being charged up to 15 TIMES normal prices by suppliers for medical equipment during the coronavirus pandemic

Surgical gloves would normally cost $0.05 each but the state is currently being forced to pay $0.20

Masks are being sold for 15 times their normal price, around $7.50 each when they once cost just $0.50.

New York hospitals are being charged up to 15 TIMES normal prices for medical equipment | Daily Mail Online

This is absolutely disgusting and disgraceful.

Its all hospitals, all countries. NY is not being singled out and has received more supplies, equipment and support than ANY other state.

I certainly don't want to see pictures but articles written in respected MSM about it would be fine. If there are none without pics then never mind.

<ADMIN NOTE: Some of the information and images contained in the following links are graphic and may be disturbing to some members. >

The discussions here about cruelty to animals in China made me curious @tresir2012. I don’t want to see pictures either, but this very informative Wikipedia article has only one of a bear in a cage that wasn’t overly graphic and was easy to avoid. There are plenty of MSM links.

Animal welfare and rights in China - Wikipedia

The Wikipedia article goes on to detail what @Snoods described. And it is horrible and here’s hoping that animal rights’ activists in China will bring an end to it successfully. They are trying.

But as we quite rightly condemn cruelty to animals in some segments of Chinese culture, I would suggest that we also take a close look at the cruelty endured by animals destined for our tables in the United States. The Humane Society and other animal rights’ groups are working every bit as hard as their counterparts in China. If you scroll quickly, you can avoid the slowly unfolding photos of these animals. But maybe we should look. Personally, I think before we call out animal cruelty in China (which isn’t generally the cause of diseases like coronavirus), we should be willing to admit our own. Are we?

Animal Cruelty Is the Price We Pay for Cheap Meat | Rolling Stone

I am not a vegetarian, but this article certainly made me re-think the origins of the meat I buy. JMO MOO

Last edited by a moderator:

We have the same issue in Virginia. Thousands of emails, blew up his FB. Twitter, jammed the phones at the capital, thousands of contacts to state house and Senate leaders before he would issue the stay home. You can tell he's not bought in, because every presser is about walking in the parks and trails. Most cities and counties have had to close trails, parks with playground equipment because of groups of 10. He's just not getting it, as our numbers soar. He's still not closed ALL non essential businesses, only some. This throw our forecast to a 4 month infection rate. And Northam is a pediatrician!!!

Scratching my head, as I watch these governors.

Moo...

The article is for real, but don't start eating horse wormer. On the other hand, you might want to keep a tube on hand. The study just talked about the behaviour of ivermectin in a petri dish. Studies haven't tested whether or not it will kill corona in the human body.

Ivermectin is also a human drug, so we know the safety of common dosages. It's widely available.

I'm hoping that this will be a solution. Wouldn't that be simply amazing!

I noticed there are some patients on the drug for a long time for some of those parasites. It will therefore be interesting to see how those countries fair with patients on the drug already.

It is great for horses, imo. I’m a fan.
My dog/s can’t tolerate it & before linked info was known, a friend lost several Aussie’s after his vet used Ivermectin.
Ivermectin Toxicity in Dogs

That was probably quite some time ago, Trudie. It's been known for many years that collie breeds can't handle Ivermectin, probably since Ivermectin first came out in the early 1980s. But, human safety testing for Ivermectin has already been done.

I'm not endorsing the use of Ivermectin since more testing needs to be done, just pointing out the research.

I noticed there are some patients on the drug for a long time for some of those parasites. It will therefore be interesting to see how those countries fair with patients on the drug already.

Indeed.

Nose to outstretched arm for me is just barely more than 2/3 of a yard.
Including fingertips? Mine is around 33 inches (I am 5ft 9in) So yours is only 24 inches? I guess a 6 footer would have longer arms than both of us but it is an old time approximate measure. Like one step is an approximate yard also when I measure ground distances.

No I don't think it is the same as that. First of all, Oz has wild fires every year so should be prepared beforehand as that can be predicted. Hawai also knows well about volcanic eruptions and can be prepared. Noone knew this was coming or how fast it would spread. Now there are not enough of the right sort of mask so homemade or scarfs are being suggested. What would Australia have said if the PM said to make masks and use scarfs against the smoke?
Everyone knew this was coming - if you listened to the experts, that is.

That was probably quite some time ago, Trudie. It's been known for many years that collie breeds can't handle Ivermectin, probably since Ivermectin first came out in the early 1980s. But, human safety testing for Ivermectin has already been done.

I'm not endorsing the use of Ivermectin since more testing needs to be done, just pointing out the research.

yes, it was a “few” years back, lol. I still know vets that will use it on collie breeds, mostly younger vets. And they are using injections. One vet was terminated for using it, the dog did not have adverse reactions, the senior vet/owner did not like the risk.
It’d be great if Ivermectin can kill Covid, I think it might be readily available since it is widely used. I can’t find any concrete verification if Covid is a parasite. I can find articles stating such but I can find another disputing the claim.

I posted this on Texas Coronavirus thread but thought I would bring it here too. A Tx RN volunteered to go to NYC (yes volunteered give her a cape people) to help with the battle. She is stationed at the Elmhurst hospital that Trump speaks about. Anyway she created a facebook page and is documenting her time there. It is a must read..... TX RN Takes On NYC

Oh, failure to ID pisses me off. KY is a state most reluctant to not name public venues that are essentially ‘hot spots’. I feel like failure to do so is protecting the biz, not the public. Moo again, the first co I’d patient in KY worked at a rural WMT. WMT did not come forward for 2-3 days to confirm what was already known. They did however “disinfect the store”, how they accomplished to disinfect while open 24/7 escapes me. Disinfecting imo means removing every item in the store.
Once, when I worked for P & G, a wmt had a fire. All food product was removed & put in dumpsters, each package slit with a knife to promote spoilage & prevent dumpster diving. So, for possible smoke damage food got tossed but with Covid the store is disinfected during biz hours? Sorry, I don’t buy it.

I kinda see two side to not releasing the facility name.

Yes, the community needs to know, but I'm sure the families of the resident know. Federal guidelines under Medicare and Medicaid (federal match) require next of kind be notified with any hospital/ER visit or change in medical condition. It will leak out.

I fear for the safety of the employees and families, folks can be mean and discriminatory. The facility needs these employees to come in each day without fear from neighbors or community. Folks can do crazy things, nursing homes have been robbed, held hostages and injured staff. Some local can grab a gun and decide to shoot up the place.

No good answers....moo

Theodore Roosevelt captain followed in footsteps of ship’s namesake by writing bombshell letter

"Navy officials are finding themselves in controversial waters in the wake of Thursday’s announcement that the service was relieving Capt. Brett Crozier of his command of the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt, a decision made following the leak of a four-page letter Crozier penned pleading for U.S. assistance to help stymie the spread of COVID-19 on the 4,800-person ship.
----------------------------------------------
As the Spanish-American War drew to a close in the summer of 1898, the Santiago de Cuba-based men of the U.S. Army Fifth Corps — Colonel Theodore Roosevelt and his famed Rough Riders among them — encountered one of their toughest challenges yet: Malaria and yellow fever.
--------------
In all, nearly 4,000 of the 4,270 men in Fifth Corps would contract severe illnesses. Many were on the verge of death.
----------------------------------
Regardless of the outcome, the commanders were compelled to put their request (that troops be withdrawn from Cuba) into writing –– a task that fell to Roosevelt because, as the only non-general among the senior officer group, had less to lose career-wise. The eventual U.S. president drafted what is now known as the infamous Round-Robin Letter:"
----------------------------------------------------------
More at link, fascinating parallel to today's plight of the military re COVID.

This is simply not true.

There was plenty of plate stepping by the USA and Pres. Trump in a big way for every disaster you listed.

The US is the largest donor of humanitarian aid world wide. This statistic shows the top donors of humanitarian aid worldwide in 2019. In this year, the United States government donated nearly 6.5 billion U.S. dollars in humanitarian aid worldwide. (We’re the long blue line.)

View attachment 241726

Hawaii Relief

——————————-
Australia bushfire relief

The USA also sent 100’s of actual living, breathing, firefighters to help Australia during the wildfires. They sent in shifts of 100-400 specialized firefighters at a time, and then fresh men were sent in. This went on for months.

————————
Phillipines relief
The US helped the Phillipines monetarily, provided prompt humanitarian efforts and immediate emergency relief supplies for 7,600 displaced people.

The United States Geological Survey's Voclano Disaster Assistance Program (USGS VDAP) also provided equipment and remote technical assistance to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology to monitor the Taal Volacano eruption.

The US distributed supplies to evacuees in another town.

https://www.nifc.gov/fireInfo/fireInfo_Australia.htm
USAID Provides Humanitarian Assistance for the Eruption of Taal Volcano in the Republic of The Philippines | Press Release | U.S. Agency for International Development
Largest donors of humanitarian aid worldwide 2019 | Statista
Hawaii is an American state 3000 miles from the mainland where a volcanic eruption had no impact. Bushfires in Australia had no impact on Americans needing facemasks. And that's the point.

Opinion | It’s High Time We Fought This Virus the American Way

"Don’t let debate over the details of General Motors’ and Ventec’s honorable effort to build more ventilators hide the bottom line: The federal government has all the authority it needs to close the supply gap, allocate resources among states, and prepare for the production and distribution of the vaccine to come. Until the federal government demonstrates — with statistics, contracts and timelines — that the gap is closed and the vaccine pipeline is ready, we should ask: Why isn’t the government bringing its full arsenal to the fight?"

Last edited:
I kinda see two side to not releasing the facility name.

Yes, the community needs to know, but I'm sure the families of the resident know. Federal guidelines under Medicare and Medicaid (federal match) require next of kind be notified with any hospital/ER visit or change in medical condition. It will leak out.

I fear for the safety of the employees and families, folks can be mean and discriminatory. The facility needs these employees to come in each day without fear from neighbors or community. Folks can do crazy things, nursing homes have been robbed, held hostages and injured staff. Some local can grab a gun and decide to shoot up the place.

No good answers....moo

I’m not interested in nursing homes being named, I think they can notify anyone at risk. But when a store, restaurant, mechanic shop has positives, I think we all have a right to know. Not the patient of course, but the establishment & date. It can make us more aware if we are not feeling well & discover John Doe’s bagel shop has a positive employee (or several) & we got an order within the time frame.
Now, I realize at the onset of this chaotic catastrophe venues were not named. Public health did not need everyone that ate at any specific place phoning in, showing up at ERs, etc. also, they were able to collect a lot of info from phone data & locate hot spots. If any city USA received 100 calls and all had frequented the same “unannounced” place, valuable info was collected.
I like Michigan’s site, they list restaurants and stores with positive cases, including addresses & dates. Very helpful, imo. Fortunately, our local news stations are now collecting more info, info we don’t get from our daily PC. Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti