Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 **ARREST** #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one has accused her of a crime folks!
Nope. The issue is her failure to cooperate, which is likely an effort to protect her mother.

I do think that’s either changed, or will change. If not, then that’s inexcusable.

LH needs answers, AS needs answers, and Gannon needs justice. If you’re not being 100% forthcoming, then that’s an issue. Hopefully that’s all a moot point.

I actually take all of that at face value. I think both the neighbor and Al believed that Gannon didn’t return home.

I think law enforcement would have believed the same thing, if not for that bloody crime scene.

The video just didn’t get a clear image of him.
I agree and IMO that's why LS had such a strong reaction to people not believing Gannon got out of the truck. One tiny shard of truth amid her barrel of lies and social media didn't believe her - it must have made her livid. Hehe... <insert devil smiley chuckling here>

Actually I'm re-reading the affidavit and I misread something. Apparently she did text a detective some kind of story about a candle, smoke and both her and Gannon bleeding in the basement. Like most T tales, it's disjointed and bizarre - sorry I can't transcribe it right now.

I think she told Al and others early on something about a candle, the carpet being burned, etc etc to try to T-splain the extensive cleaning she did down there. When she heard that blood had been found, she tried to continue that weird storyline to account for it. That's my best guess anyways. I hope she didn't also burn that poor kid.

Edit: also in my experience, kids are very rarely seriously burned by household candles, and burns in general don't really bleed like she describes.
Wow, now there's a thought. Could he have been messing around with a candle or lighter from HH's room and she lost it? Holding his hand, foot, or other body part over an open flame would be something that would get her in trouble for sure. It would also make sense of that video (she was amped up, and he sounded so scared).

I have a question.

Being that his body was found in Florida, the autopsy was done here. Florida has very "public friendly" laws regarding such things; can anyone (smarter than myself, ha!) weigh in with an idea of whether or not we might see the report?
On their site, it says that reports won't be available if involved in a criminal investigation.

This.

Just an observation, but I think being the daughter of LS is her crime. As someone said, no sympathy for anyone in LS’s family.

?
No one has accused her of a crime folks!
Couldn't agree more. The studies on which this "they aren't mature until they are 25" are entirely based on current crops of US students. Students. Not the general public, even.

When I first began research of this type (at a VA hospital 37 years ago), we saw brain differences between veterans who were 18-19 when they ended up in psychiatric care and those who were 30. However, the only thing that neuroscientists are looking for in terms of brain maturity is a relatively stable physiological state. The brain remains somewhat plastic until 25, but is pretty much dialed in by 14.

The fact that American youth (we had Puerto Ricans, Native Americans, Chamorrans, Mexicans, Guatemalans in our studies) were slower to stabilize was known - but the age was more like 20. Military service speeds up the process (I know some of you are saying "doh!")

Inner city kids were more "brain mature." American youths from working and middle class backgrounds reached brain stability more slowly (middle class = slowest).

This research has been replicated, it's a known fact that when we say "American youth are immature until 25" that we are describing an acquired, not innate, state. This explains how youth in India are able to be on their own at 14 (sometimes never seeing their families again, making their own decisions for life). Or in Russia (where the expectation is that 16 year olds should be in the brain stable state). Or China.

Or most of the world, obviously, having named those countries.

It's not innate in the human species to be immature until 25, it's an American thing. We produce that.

All that being said, HH seems to be a typical American teenagers. Should the courts bend to this new-fangled way of raising teens?

I don't know the answer to that. As a jury member, I don't think I could bend that far.
Oh, thank you so much! You said what I have been trying to say. Parents these days are enablers. They won’t allow their children to grow up. Yes, we produce that!

I’ll label this as more TeeSplaining...If LE didn’t already suspect her enough, she sends this really strange text message to investigators Tuesday night which makes zero sense and full of more lies to LE.
TUESDAY 10:45 p.m.

Letecia makes statement to investigators via text message:

“What do you want from me? Because I have nothing. One of your very own leaked to me what you guys were doing. I did nothing/or am being set up. I’m not really even sure other that being told that by another blue with El Paso. I was told I couldn’t go home to sleep and on top of that men were sent to a home with a minor female and she was forced to stay there not to even have good.”

This part especially “ **Every conversation that said even at this moment, I can hear inside**. What do you want from me?”

Was T trying to say HH was there in the house and possibly had her mom on the phone listening in to investigators talking?

Affidavit reveals police timeline of Gannon Stauch's murder - KRDO

That’s absolutely awful, Amanda. Our first amendment rights are tdamoled everyday. I’ve really about decided I’m finished with social media platforms, ie FB, Twitter & Instagram. The manipulation of user info is upsetting.. Keep contacting FB, if you can get it back that would be great. I’m so sorry.

BBM
I don't believe HH was ever in the house without her mom after AS arrived. I figured her "gotcha" announcement that she was listening to every word referred to monitoring the home security from her phone, as one can do when away. JMO

I agree and IMO that's why LS had such a strong reaction to people not believing Gannon got out of the truck. One tiny shard of truth amid her barrel of lies and social media didn't believe her - it must have made her livid. Hehe... <insert devil smiley chuckling here>
What a weird trip - you killed an innocent child, people are onto you but they get one detail wrong that you know is right.

You're right, she must have been driven crazy by that, almost to the point of claiming LE has special heat sensing technology that can see thru recorded video and......oh wait...

Nope. The issue is her failure to cooperate, which is likely an effort to protect her mother.

I do think that’s either changed, or will change. If not, then that’s inexcusable.

LH needs answers, AS needs answers, and Gannon needs justice. If you’re not being 100% forthcoming, then that’s an issue. Hopefully that’s all a moot point.
It is really that simple. Thank you.

We want to know why she wouldn’t cooperate. And we hope she is now.
For Gannon.

I’ll label this as more TeeSplaining...If LE didn’t already suspect her enough, she sends this really strange text message to investigators Tuesday night which makes zero sense and full of more lies to LE.
TUESDAY 10:45 p.m.

Letecia makes statement to investigators via text message:

This part especially “ **Every conversation that said even at this moment, I can hear inside**. What do you want from me?”

Was T trying to say HH was there in the house and possibly had her mom on the phone listening in to investigators talking?

Affidavit reveals police timeline of Gannon Stauch's murder - KRDO
bbm
Snipped for focus.
Well that's interesting.
Hmm...

IANAL, but in some jurisdictions, withholding information from LE about a murder is still a crime.

So "not cooperating," if it turns out to be "not saying something that could have been helpful" or saying "I don't know" when the person does know...can turn out to be a crime.

I do not buy the "frontal lobe" business (and I study this stuff) except insofar as yes, American teens are underdeveloped. The rest of the world has different standards. I would even go so far as to say that HH appears to be particularly immature (at 17) than some 17 year olds (you know, people who were on their own in the Great Depression from age 14 and grew up fast).

I agree it has nothing to do with her age. That's why we have juries. I don't think she'll ever face major charges, but I do think she will be compelled to testify and that she better grow up - fast - and get her own lawyer before doing that.

I think you are very mistaken about what the most recent documents say about HH, btw.

LS could have protected HH more by not having her approach the cameras and not having her in a vehicle which may have carried Gannon's dead body. If HH is ever in trouble, it is obviously her mother's fault.

I don't think she'll be prosecuted. But she will face something that is perhaps worse: lifelong association with the lengthy testimony she will surely be compelled to give.

I think Laina may avoid testimony if the DA thinks HH will do as a witness instead.
bbm
Agreed and thanks for pointing that out.

I was trying to think of a way to comment that wasn't insensitive.
But you nailed it.

I was watching that "I am a killer" series on Netflix and many of them have sad childhood stories. One especially stuck out to me, with the abuse and horrible childhood. But in the end, you see the victim families and while they may have compassion, they don't waiver at all from wanting any punishment fully served. So while it may be true that HH is a victim, she's not as much so in my mind as GS's parents and sister (or obviously GS himself). Before the AA I did lump her into that same group. In that sense I can feel sorry for her situation, but at the same time also question all her actions and want her held accountable for anything that may have made this entire nightmare worse. Nothing released yet that shows that she has done anything other than inaction. But the inaction is enough for me to lose some empathy towards her.
bbm
Ita.
From the beginning of the relationship and marriage, TS and HH lived with AS, Gannon and his younger sibling -- so those kids spent time growing up together.
It's unfathomable that there'd be no action taken to demand where he was or what happened.

The younger sister I could understand staying silent out of fear, but HH had a job, drove her own car and had friends.
Enough independence to go to LE while she was away from the home and let them know something was wrong.
Very sad.

What? I don't think I'd read this before. I'd be beside myself if my 11-year old was missing and I had to wait on LE for 3 hours to take my report.

Gannon Stauch: Arrest documents outline where and when missing 11-year-old boy was killed

Deputies with the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office arrived at the house about 10:10 p.m., about three hours after Stauch called 911 to report her son missing, and found her car backed into the garage.

Yes, of course you would be (beside yourself). But that's what it's like to have a child go missing. Seattle is not known for its rapid responses, btw (nor is Los Angeles - and San Francisco is even worse). 2000 people go missing daily. I suppose we could enact laws where kids get priority but in reality, kids are more likely to just turn up later.

I don't know anything about public satisfaction with CS police, but it seems to me that they took the call, had few details (so no reason for an immediate investigation - no word of a parent abduction, no sign of B & E, just a normal kid wandering away from home), and then they put it into NAMUS and other databases, and then sent the first available officer to take a report.

Where I live, it's not uncommon for it to be 6-18 hours before the officer shows up for a report of this kind. The first line of investigation for a missing child is for the family to look for the child - and in 98-99% of cases that's effective and the child is fine.

The other crimes going down in CoS at the time made me really aware - there were other missing kids (older kids are more likely to be vulnerable to sex trafficking, not Gannon's age), they had to triage too.

Just as an example, one day at work, we had about 5 crimes/situations going down at the same time. I thought the one I reported needed way faster intervention (someone in a raised pick-up, speeding, hit a man in a wheelchair). But then, there was a sexual assault with the perp on foot running through campus, and a deliberate hit and run with an injury, and a physical altercation between two students (that was managed by faculty).

Just another day.

When we had 3 (THREE) break-ins over a period of 2 months, police did nothing. We had footprints and, eventually, video footage (but the timestamp was wrong - so, absolutely nothing was done). We know who it was. It was very very hard to avoid trying to do something about it ourselves. We learned that two other neighbors had had the same person break in to their home (to steal identity, btw). Then we had other neighbors (friends of the criminals) tell us to simmer down and stop reporting it.

Until you're a victim, you don't realize just how thin police services are - in every nation, in every state. It's actually way better, crime-wise, where I live than in many places in the US.

I think LE reacted pretty "normally" to the report of Gannon's disappearance and probably thought if he wasn't home by bedtime, it was a bit more serious...

I don't know. But I do know that in NC it's not usual to mention divorced spouses in obituaries (assuming the deceased and TS's mother were divorced. I don't know that either.)

But that issue came up here on WS because some folks thought it was so odd TS wasn't mentioned in her ex-husband's obituary but their daughter was. In my experience it would have been very odd to mention her as they had been divorced for 3 years when he died.

As I've said before, I would very much like to know more about TS's early life.

BTW, he died in 2009...11 years ago not 19 but it still was cheeky to call in using that excuse.
JMO
We're both wrong -- the date of death is Sept. 21, 2004!

I do find it notable that LS had a special mention in two obituaries of men -- the long ago stepdad and also in her Uncle's 2016 obituary (citing his big influence).

I wanted to say something to the effect that being in the military & living in Colorado, I can't imagine not having a gun. But I come from a family of hunters and we all have many firearms. Didn't want to *advertiser censored*-u-me too much.
Does anyone in the perp's family have a gun ?
Asking hypothetically, and not *advertiser censored*-u-ming .
(See what I did there ? Your dashes had me puzzled. :D )

I think she did tell HH the items she brought were for cleaning, but I think she told her she needed them to clean a 'bowel accident' of Gannons, like the type she was nastily speaking about in her interview.

MOO

Because this is an ongoing investigation, I think those records will remain under seal, atleast until the case is adjudicated.

I tried to search the 2020 manual, but it’s way too long and I’m way too lazy. The fact that he is a child may also make those records exempt from disclosure, but I’m not sure.

http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/MNOS-B9QQ79/$file/SunshineManual.pdf

Autopsy Reports: When completed unless the death is part of an active criminal investigation.
Forms

For me, the line is where one person's rights violates criminal or civil law.
Good point !
As in -- "I may know something, or I do know something... but you have no right to question or detain me because my loyalty lies with my family first and foremost."
Newsflash-- it doesn't work that way.

Last edited:

It's morally inexcusable in any case. I am very loyal person who would react quite viciously to anyone trying to hurt my kid or husband.

HOWEVER, if they had just done something heinous, I've always told them: all bets are off. I'll be there for you in the courtroom, I'll buy you stuff in prison and come visit you. But I will not withhold truth from the police, the victims (that's why I say all this) nor will I testify on your behalf.

Of course, if one of my kids was using self-defense as a defense, I'd add what I could.

This attitude saved my daughter (who was attacked at a school bus stop by another student - it was captured on camera, and who reacted, God bless her, very appropriately - by punching, downing and altogether subduing her stupid attacker).

She was 13. She asked me if it would have been okay to take her attacker by the head and slam her against the curb (I said ABSOLUTELY NOT - once the person is down, and other people have gathered, it's never okay to continue a fight). She said, "That's what I thought, Mom."

After that, the bullies on the bus left her alone, though. Unfortunately, she kind of learned a more aggressive style of dealing with bullies (has avoided physical contact though, great verbal skills).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle