Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #44

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we're talking about millions dead worldwide, and the loss in America of up to a quarter of a million citizens, and the reasons why these things are coming to be, of course there are few positive takeaways, at least that spring readily to mind. But are there positive aspects, tiny flowers sprouting in the sidewalk's cracks? What are they? I think this is a good place to read this sort of "news," and appreciate those of you who have shared stories. We will need reminding many times in the weeks to come: what are the positives, the aspects that reinforce the basic goodness of our humanity?

Last edited:
What do you think will change?
Drive in restaurants are open. Also auto mechanics, cellular stores, box & dollar stores, liquor, home improvement, pet sores, farm stores, mfg. plants, gas/convenient stores, pharmacies. Then we have some “back door” places, iykwim.
Again, we don’t have the manpower to keep anyone at home, unless a cop can set outside every home. Moo
If the interstates close, I prob’ have 800 roads I can take to Ohio, if so inclined.
I think that could change in about a week. Do you still have gatherings for sport and entertainment events and restaurant and bars open or have they closed yet?

Sadly, UK's response parallels that of the US in many ways. I am very unhappy to see UK's rates go so high today, and hospitals already struggling with issues like no oxygen canisters. Hospitals completely full (and I guess more tent hospitals are still under construction).

The increase in the curve in UK has been rapid and is now exponential, just as in the US. There are no places that have enough test kits, so that's a global problem. Grocery stores in UK have the empty shelf thing going on, as well.

Next 3 weeks are going to be miserable for US and UK.

The last I checked, UK's death rate was 8% and just under 3% for the USA. USA is getting ready to get hit hard, but I hope we don't get to 8%.

I received a text from someone this morning, driving by a church in Paxton FL. Parking lot was full. I miss church, especially during this Easter season, and going into Holy Week. My church family, which has a large elderly population, participated in Holy Communion at home, which is the way it should be done this week and every week until this horrible virus is under control.
I’m sure there are several churches in Florida that are full. The governor has not closed religious services...unfortunately this is my state.

Drive in restaurants are open. Also auto mechanics, cellular stores, box & dollar stores, liquor, home improvement, pet sores, farm stores, mfg. plants, gas/convenient stores, pharmacies. Then we have some “back door” places, iykwim.
Again, we don’t have the manpower to keep anyone at home, unless a cop can set outside every home. Moo
If the interstates close, I prob’ have 800 roads I can take to Ohio, if so inclined.
Mainly peoples attitudes will change, the more serious it gets but also the stores will act to protect their staff. e.g. now our farm stores are closed shutters so you cannot enter the store. you phone them from your vehicle outside the store. The pet stores and vet have changed their procedures too. Order and pay by card over phone then drive to the rear of store for your vehicle to be loaded and your receipt also. Pets to be seen in vehicle in car park by vet and you stay 2 metres distant.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Savior Pastor Joshua Cook said in a YouTube video he felt he should keep the church open “because I believe and confess that this is a spiritual hospital and that there are times when spiritual emergencies require access to God’s house.”

Some states, including Florida, have made exemptions to allow religious gatherings to proceed during the coronavirus. Kentucky does not have that exemption.

Before it became an order, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear first issued guidance that churches cancel in-person services on March 11.

Beshear said Friday that he's aware of “very few” churches that are still holding normal in-person services. He suggested having a sheriff’s deputy or state police car in the parking lot to remind them they are “spreading the coronavirus beyond their church, beyond any meeting that they’re at.”
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...-churches-plan-to-gather-despite-virus-orders
(note bbm, “remind”, not order them away. )

Sadly, UK's response parallels that of the US in many ways. I am very unhappy to see UK's rates go so high today, and hospitals already struggling with issues like no oxygen canisters. Hospitals completely full (and I guess more tent hospitals are still under construction).

The increase in the curve in UK has been rapid and is now exponential, just as in the US. There are no places that have enough test kits, so that's a global problem. Grocery stores in UK have the empty shelf thing going on, as well.

Next 3 weeks are going to be miserable for US and UK.

Thank you very much for caring. It's a scary time no matter which corner of the world we're in; a global nightmare, as it were. I am worried for Africa after reading reports of new cases in some countries today, I don't think the continent is any way near being ready for this.

Sending you a virtual elbow bump across the pond :)

Public urged to follow 'mission-critical' rules

Latest from UK

"It is "mission-critical" to follow social distancing rules to protect the NHS and slow the spread of coronavirus, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.

"The more people follow the rules then the faster we will all be through this," he said, after reports of packed public parks in London and elsewhere.

This morning Mr Hancock said such behaviour was "quite unbelievable".

At the daily Downing Street briefing, he said it could not go on. It comes as the UK death toll reaches 4,934.

The Department of Health said on Sunday there had been 621 more coronavirus-related deaths in the UK in the past day."

That is about a 12 % increase so that is falling. It has just doubled in 4 days. So if it stays at only 12% it will be doubled again by Saturday, so expect around 10k deaths by then. If increase is 20% it doubles in 4 days, 30% increase doubles in 3 days.

Last edited:
Local police are present in the mornings at our local grocery store. Customers line up before the doors open, head straight to toilet paper, then foods. I could easily see unrest if our stores are unable to keep food stocked. We had no pork or beef or eggs; but plenty of other foods.

Last edited:
The US should have been establishing the right "attitude" in January. People did find me a bit "over worried" in the beginning, but it was clear it was coming, and could not be stopped. All you had to do was listen to what was happening in China, and then Italy. I ordered masks in January. I bought more sanitizer and paper products in early-mid Feb. And I have been having to watch our lack of strength and decision here in Florida every single day.
I am not listening to any politician right now...only doctors, doctors, doctors.

There gets to a point when you just have to protect and isolate yourself and your family members. The world is full of stupid people. They don’t become intelligent because there’s a crisis. I see obese elderly men commenting about how no one will take away their liberties- when they’ll be the first to die from this. Ok! We all tried our best. People are dying and they’re going to die.

Every man for himself! I can’t control what another person does. I can control myself.

@Fireflize I heard LE had to be at our box stores yesterday.

There gets to a point when you just have to protect and isolate yourself and your family members. The world is full of stupid people. They don’t become intelligent because there’s a crisis. I see obese elderly men commenting about how no one will take away their liberties- when they’ll be the first to die from this. Ok! We all tried our best. People are dying and they’re going to die.

Every man for himself! I can’t control what another person does. I can control myself.

@Fireflize I heard LE had to be at our box stores yesterday.

There is just a limit to what the government can reasonably do in the situation. As you mentioned earlier, we don’t have a 1 to 1 ratio of police officers where the state can police everyone.

COVID19 is awful, I am not playing it down and my own family has been completely isolated since early March. BUT, it’s survivable for most people. If it had a 50% death rate I think you’d have military style lockdowns. But when most people are complying and the awful surge in cases has been somewhat manageable thanks to the strong work of local leaders in many places AND the incredibly selfless and heroic work of healthcare workers and scientists, additional responses are limited.

People still need to support their basic living. Sure some people are taking advantage of the situation but again, there’s a limit to what the state can do absent a military siege. IMO it’s disordered thinking to risk your family’s lives to go out shopping for non-essentials. Particularly when you can order almost anything you need online.

Local police are present in the mornings at our local grocery store. Customers line up before the doors open, head straight to toilet paper, then foods. I could easily see unrest if our stores are unable to keep food stocked. We had no pork or beef or eggs; but plenty of other foods.

I don't understand this fetish for toilet paper. There are many ways to accomplish your goal. Are there garages and sheds crammed with TP?

We do have beef, pork and chicken, but in limited amounts. Beef and pork tend to be less-used cuts that people don't know what to do with. Luckily I can cook darn near anything. Drawing the line at organ meats, though. *shudder*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucius79