Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #44

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our healthcare workers are risking their lives, caring for Covid patients everyday. All we are asking of others, is STAY HOME. Why is that so hard?

I think it is a psychological thing. One can still find plenty of things to do. Again, golf courses are open, walking trails, bicyclists can ride, car washes are open for self detailing, time to mow yards, there is no law against walking on public roads (afaik). Some people might be best served to use their time off work for self improvement. A great time to diet, exercise & declutter, moo.

Last edited:
Cameron Kyle-Sidell, MD (@cameronks) on Twitter

Cameron Kyle-Sidell, MD
Critical Care Medicine, Emergency Medicine
Brooklyn, NYEMHUM.com

Interesting read. JMO
There's an interesting debate going on among medical professionals (on the above twitter link) about the proper way to use a ventilator with patients who have COVID. The impression I got is that using high pressure to "force" more oxygen into the lungs is not effective and may lead to lung damage. They keep emphasizing that this is a NEW disease that likely requires new ventilator strategy/protocols.
Interestingly, there's anecdotal evidence that adults with Covid are presenting with O2 saturation at 70 or 80% who have no problem talking, laughing, breathing until they begin moving. Some are urging other docs to treat with O2 and don't intubate too early.
IMO

I don't understand this fetish for toilet paper. There are many ways to accomplish your goal. Are there garages and sheds crammed with TP?

We do have beef, pork and chicken, but in limited amounts. Beef and pork tend to be less-used cuts that people don't know what to do with. Luckily I can cook darn near anything. Drawing the line at organ meats, though. *shudder*

We had to go out yesterday to get some food at our grocery store. First time I used the pick up option. It worked well, but they gave me substitutes for some things, so I will have to learn to cook something with those items. The only meat protein they gave us was a pork loin substitute. Never cooked that before, so am going to look up some simple recipes. They had no paper towels or toilet paper. The only day that is available when you go on line and reserve your pick-up has been Saturday, and I imagine that there is not much left by the time they put together our online order. I tried today for a different day, but only next Saturday is available. I will make do with what we have, because I don't want to go out for the next two weeks even to the grocery store pick-up/drive through. We are following Dr. Birx's advice.

Navy Captain Removed From Carrier Tests Positive for Covid-19 (NYT)
Captain Crozier was fired after a leak of a letter he had emailed to Navy leaders detailing the service's failures in dealing with a coronavirus outbreak on the U.S.S. Theodore Roosevelt.

I know many may disagree with me, but he deserved to be removed.

I come from a military family, and all know there is proper protocol that must be followed. Sending an email is not one of them. He failed to do as expected.

Most importantly HELP WAS ALREADY ON THE WAY. ( capitalized for emphasis since it's a very important fact known to him at the time)

What he did by the leaked email was make ALL family members worry not knowing if their family member was one of the ones infected or not. He caused unnecessary panic for all of them when he knows military families many times cant contact their sailor or marine family members directly.

I have no doubt the DOD was flooded with calls from all family members who had someone on this ship. Imo, it caused unnecessary hysteria, and worry by all family members since ALL on this ship did not have the virus.

He handled it very poorly so he deserved to be removed, imo. Everyone in the military knows very well that all rules in place are to be strictly adhered to at all times. None can just decide on their own to do it differently.

He knows he should have dealt with it differently. Hes not some new kid on the block that wasn't aware of the proper protocals, and chain of commands that must be followed.

And again what was most egregious on his part he already knew help was on the way.

I can understand the sailors, and marines standing by him. They probably didnt know help was already on the way, but he KNEW yet made it sound like no help was coming.

In the military you either follow the rules, and proper protocals or you don't. It's that simple, and everyone in the military no matter which branch knows that all too well.

There are no gray areas. Discipline, and strictly following all rules in place is what sets the military apart from all other careers.

Jmho

IMO it’s disordered thinking to risk your family’s lives to go out shopping for non-essentials.
I hope ever parent standing in line at the garden center with their children realize their kid might be on a ventilator tonight, or that they might not live to raise their kids.

I don't understand this fetish for toilet paper. There are many ways to accomplish your goal. Are there garages and sheds crammed with TP?
I understand it in KY. When we had our first case, a woman & her 3 children had just arrived from Hong Kong.
taking respite in Cynthiana. The woman was interviewed by the small town paper, she mentioned it was impossible to buy TP in China. A few days after the family arrived, a WMT employee was in the fight of her life. Took 4 trips to doctor/hospital before she was finally life flighted & vented. She could not be tested at first because she had not traveled. (The HK Family did not quarantine, they arrived just prior to quarantine rules. Her husband is a pilot for a Chinese airline. The woman did address being accused of bringing C19 into KY. Paraphrasing, she said, I am a smart person and did not bring Covid.) linked on previous threads. Idk how a rural town of appx 5-6k got Covid, many reached their own conclusions. Sadly the first patient was vilified on SM. She’s since recovered & imo will move away once she can. Her name was all over the town’s FB way before celebrities stepped forward. She did unknowingly transmit to several....they did the same, you know......
Moo

In the UK you would be fined. If you did it again, a higher fine. Checking on a friend is not essential. Delivering food to elderly over 70 who cannot go out would be essential, going to work in an essential occupation would be acceptable, going to buy your own food shopping is considered essential, being outside your home for exercising is essential, driving somewhere to exercise is non essential. Police are getting strict with it. No social gatherings except who you live with at your own property. Who are people kidding by inventing excuses anyway as it will just prolong the spread and kill more people. MOO.

ETA i was in the middle of replying to this and posting when the thread closed so have copy and pasted into here.

yes the experience I had in my town's FB group was exactly that - them posting about going to buy flower plants from a local farm because otherwise they would go to compost like they're hometown heroes or something providing a 'smile' for someone who receives the flowers - I'm like yeah give them some corona virus along with those flowers

I seriously told one of the admins off who posted about how she went and bought stuff
the thread was deleted

Our healthcare workers are risking their lives, caring for Covid patients everyday. All we are asking of others, is STAY HOME. Why is that so hard?
Our shopworkers are risking there lives as well to serve us and protect us from covidiots who spit on our produce. I make a point of thanking them (the workers not the spitters ) when I do have to go shopping. Link to follow re the spitting.

(gee there are a lot of incidents worldwide)

Man Accused of Spitting on Produce at Stop & Shop Store in Kingston

Last edited:
Oddly, my friend is a nurse, and she may be laid off.? What?! There is literally an absolute standstill at the clinic. No appointments, no surgeries. They are only accepting emergency appointments and pediatric care.

Same with the dentist, the offices are shut down, except for emergencies. Hearing exams, eye exams, podiatry, ortho, every single thing is shut down.

I come from a military family, and all know there is proper protocol that must be followed. Sending an email is not one of them. He failed to do as expected.

Most importantly HELP WAS ALREADY ON THE WAY. ( capitalized for emphasis since it's a very important fact known to him at the time)

What he did by the leaked email was make ALL family members worry not knowing if their family member was one of the ones infected or not. He caused unnecessary panic for all of them when he knows military families many times cant contact their sailor or marine family members directly.

I have no doubt the DOD was flooded with calls from all family members who had someone on this ship. Imo, it caused unnecessary hysteria, and worry by all family members since ALL on this ship did not have the virus.

He handled it very poorly so he deserved to be removed, imo. Everyone in the military knows very well that all rules in place are to be strictly adhered to at all times. None can just decide on their own to do it differently.

He knows he should have dealt with it differently. Hes not some new kid on the block that wasn't aware of the proper protocals, and chain of commands that must be followed.

And again what was most egregious on his part he already knew help was on the way.

I can understand the sailors, and marines standing by him. They probably didnt know help was already on the way, but he KNEW yet made it sound like no help was coming.

In the military you either follow the rules, and proper protocals or you don't. It's that simple, and everyone in the military no matter which branch knows that all too well.

There are no gray areas. Discipline, and strictly following all rules in place is what sets the military apart from all other careers.

Jmho

I am sympathetic to what you write, but saw a military person being interviewed on the news, and he said it was unfortunate it got to that point, that he wished it had been handled by the admirals who are above the ship's captain, and not be the higher levels, but he said there is also fault with the captain, he could have handled it differently, so he sees fault on both sides, and I think he understands both points of view. I am not taking a position on this, as I am not intimately familiar with how the military works, as you are. More thoughtful discussion of this would certainly be helpful, as it is a complex moral and ethical issue, and I am sure that he was prepared to accept the consequences of his choice, whatever the rest of us may think.

Jmho
So why did he do it? I thought there was no help and that was why but with what you have said that wasn't the case.

We do have beef, pork and chicken, but in limited amounts. Beef and pork tend to be less-used cuts that people don't know what to do with. Luckily I can cook darn near anything. Drawing the line at organ meats, though. *shudder*

I never understood the toilet paper hoarding.

A Websleuths tip for any newbies that I find very helpful (yes, it is probably something that is super obvious and I am the only one it took a year to figure out) is if you click on the little arrow next to the poster’s name in a quoted post, it takes you back to the original quoted post. So you can easily follow back a conversation between two posters if you just click to the original quoted post.

@Snoods Thank you! I’ve never noticed the little arrow next to the poster’s name. Great tip!

I had to copy/paste because I don’t know how to quote from a closed thread.

Spain 'close to passing peak' as deaths fall again

Italy, France and others.

_111620268_small_multi_4countries2-nc.png

_109028083_1px_white_line-nc.png

The Madrid region has been Spain's worst affected area. Care homes have seen large-scale outbreaks leading to a collapse in staffing. In two facilities alone there are reports of almost 90 deaths linked to the crisis.

Last month the military was called in to help at retirement homes and found elderly patients abandoned and, in some cases, dead in their beds.

I hope ever parent standing in line at the garden center with their children realize their kid might be on a ventilator tonight, or that they might not live to raise their kids.

I understand it in KY. When we had our first case, a woman & her 3 children had just arrived from Hong Kong.
taking respite in Cynthiana. The woman was interviewed by the small town paper, she mentioned it was impossible to buy TP in China. A few days after the family arrived, a WMT employee was in the fight of her life. Took 4 trips to doctor/hospital before she was finally life flighted & vented. She could not be tested at first because she had not traveled. (The HK Family did not quarantine, they arrived just prior to quarantine rules. Her husband is a pilot for a Chinese airline. The woman did address being accused of bringing C19 into KY. Paraphrasing, she said, I am a smart person and did not bring Covid.) linked on previous threads. Idk how a rural town of appx 5-6k got Covid, many reached their own conclusions. Sadly the first patient was vilified on SM. She’s since recovered & imo will move away once she can. Her name was all over the town’s FB way before celebrities stepped forward. She did unknowingly transmit to several....they did the same, you know......
Moo

I wonder if someone will reach out to try to help this family reintegrate into the community, and help protect them from the xenophobia and accusations that they are dealing with. We live in a smallish rural community also, and we are helping a small Chinese restaurant owner/family survive the situation right now, as no one wants to take out even take out orders from their very small off-main street restaurant. They have been there for years, although I've never been to the restaurant, and local business leaders downtown for years had lunch there and paid their bills only once a week or so. So now people are trying to help them out with gift cards, etc. so that they can pay their rent and raise their family.

So why did he do it? I thought there was no help and that was why but with what you have said that wasn't the case.

Maybe he felt that he wasn't getting an answer quickly enough, or the answer that he wanted. Things have to go up a chain of command, and reviewed. He may have felt very frustrated.

Either way, he made a choice. And will have to move forward with the consequences. The very public situation has no doubt sent a powerful message to other military commanders.

Jmho

TBH I was half expecting someone to launch a missile at them, thinking they were crippled. I was terrified. Jmo

Oddly, my friend is a nurse, and she may be laid off.? What?! There is literally an absolute standstill at the clinic. No appointments, no surgeries. They are only accepting emergency appointments and pediatric care.

Same with the dentist, the offices are shut down, except for emergencies. Hearing exams, eye exams, podiatry, ortho, every single thing is shut down.

Have her call Cuomo. He’ll take her in a heartbeat moo.

Her basic skills, no matter what the specialty, I’m sure can be used somewhere if she gets laid off.

WHO also has courses and training on their website.

There are infinite job postings for health workers on various sites.

I hear ya though about nonessential medical workers, hadn’t thought about that. Hopefully they can retransition where they are most needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member