Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #44

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw some better news on COVID 19 today. Last week VA Gov. Northam stated that Virginia would not peak until late May. I checked the Univ. of WA projection tool, IMHE, and it reflected that same thing. However, it was revised on Sunday and now shows Virginia peaking a month earlier on 20 April.
IMHE: IHME | COVID-19 Projections

I saw some better news on COVID 19 today. Last week VA Gov. Northam stated that Virginia would not peak until late May. I checked the Univ. of WA projection tool, IMHE, and it reflected that same thing. However, it was revised on Sunday and now shows Virginia peaking a month earlier on 20 April.
was the first info wrong? Good news, I guess.

(@Bravo been there, done that. Use it when I ride an Emu too)

Oh wow. They also moved up the peak date for Oregon after they shipped off so many of their ventilators to NY. It used to be May 6 and now it is April 21. Yikes!

I thought the idea of flattening the curve was that the peak was not only lower, but later? So later peak is better than earlier peak?

I know it's counterintuitive to our desire for it to "be over already", but I thought the goal was to flatten and delay the peak. MOO

After my daughter's rant about Japanese companies not taking precautions she dm'd me late last night to say that Japan has declared a state of emergency.

It's mainly in response to a surge in infections and focuses on Tokyo. However the declaration also covers Osaka where my daughter lives.

From the link:
The governors of the prefectures will have the powers to close schools and businesses, but the authorities will not have the legal authority to order citizens to stay at home.

"In Japan, even if we declare a state of emergency, we will not close cities as seen in foreign countries. Experts have told us that there is no need for such a step," said Mr Abe.

He said his government was preparing a $990bn package to help Japan's economy cope with the effects of the virus.
Japan to declare emergency as Tokyo cases soar
Japan state of emergency to cover Tokyo, Osaka and five other prefectures | The Japan Times

Some say it's too little too late but at least the government is taking steps.

You know this plastic zipper bags that bedspreads and sheet sets come in?? If you could get two sides apart without tearing that plastic then using double side tape to stick the plastic around the bill of your hat??? That seems, in my mind, it would work perfectly for a face shield mask
I mean it wouldn't be a fashion statement or anything but really, I think fashion is out at this point :D.
Great idea! Thank you!

I thought the idea of flattening the curve was that the peak was not only lower, but later? So later peak is better than earlier peak?

I know it's counterintuitive to our desire for it to "be over already", but I thought the goal was to flatten and delay the peak. MOO
Well, if I listen correctly to VA Governor Northam, the sooner we hit the peak and put it past us, the sooner we can end the stay-at-home order. The governor's current order calls for stay-at-home and no groups over 10 until 10 June. I believe that date was based on the earlier 20-27 May peak.

Good news for Ohio.

When will coronavirus peak in Ohio? New model projects fewer deaths

According to the latest projections, Ohio is two days away from its peak use of hospital resources. The IHME projects Ohio will only need 1,372 hospital beds and 262 ICU beds to care for COVID-19 patients. No shortage is projected by the IHME.

The IHME projects a peak of 29 deaths per day in Ohio between April 9 and April 12. A total of 544 deaths are projected by August 4.
Anxious to hear DeWine presser at 2.

Back at work this morning in my "essential" office. :rolleyes: We have work from home capabilities, but Mr. Bossman likes to micro-manage. Wonder what my co-workers did this weekend? I'm the only female in a world of men. I know that 3 went to Lowe's, and several others made grocery store runs. I stayed home. My neighborhood watch posted 30+ cars at the front of my neighborhood. They were gathering where a popular young man died (not of C-19). Police were called and would not disperse the crowd as it was on private property - I guess they believe when our SC governor says that SC is "unique". Bangs head against wall...
Me too - no matter how careful I’m being I know that the people in the office are not - many trips to Home Depot and daily trips to Costco and grocery store for lunch stuff - instead of one trip for the week .... it’s frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88