Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #44

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm worried though cause we're running out of lysol wipes and hand sanitizer
like how long does it take to make these items - it seems like they've been sold out forever
no vitamin C anywhere

Lysol - you don’t necessarily need that specifically. Ive been using rubbing alcohol and paper towels. You can make your own wipes by re-using an old canister, inserting a roll of PT, and saturating it with rubbing alcohol (65%+, but the higher the better). You can also buy or re-use a spray bottle and fill it with rubbing alcohol. The big box stores have been out for weeks, but I found it at my neighborhood convenience store quite easily.

Hand sanitizer - you shouldn’t need to use a whole lot of this. Wash with soap and water whenever possible, in accordance with CDC guidelines; leave the hand sanitizer for the times you don’t have access. I use rubbing alcohol/PT, as I don’t have any hand sanitizer. However, I rarely need anything other than soap and water. But—whatever method you use, make sure to moisturize well once in the safety of your home, as dry hands can develop micro-cracks that are an invitation for microbes. Use cream, not lotion, per my dermatologist (the higher water content in lotion actually dehydrates more). I use Cetaphil cream; their night cream is even more moisturizing for me, personally.

Vit C - you can buy a multivitamin instead (unless contraindicated) that lists a 100% DV of vit c. I’m not sure if you’re taking vit c based on the report posted in a previous thread about high-dose vit c, but that (what was reported in the studies) isn’t something you’d be able to accomplish taking an OTC vitamin.

General disclaimers:
Consult your doc when considering taking herbs/vitamins.

Everything MOO.

(2) They only gave me a 14 day supply and they count it as a full refill. Instead of 100 pills, I got 14. Oh well, it's okay, we're in a Pandemic.

They count it as a full refill? But you didn't have to pay the same amount, I hope? Your generosity of spirit is wonderful, but I hope that more pills become available very soon so that you and everyone else who counts on this drug get proper treatment.

A mother who was infected with coronavirus has died while going through labour, it has emerged.

The victim died at the Whittington Hospital, in Archway, North London, following the delivery of the child, who has survived.

It is not known if the woman had any underlying health issues, and an investigation into her death has been launched by the coroner.

Hospital staff were said to be completely shocked and 'in tears' following the death.

Mother suffering from coronavirus dies during labour at London hospital - but medics save her child | Daily Mail Online

A terrible tragedy.
:( No words. Rest in peace. :(

So, no drive thru or food takeaways. If your water heater explodes, your oven or your computer go on the blitz, that's just too bad?g
they have 4.4 million people in New Zealand.
Only 100 cases? Statistically, of which 60% will not have symptoms?
Personally, I'm glad she is not my leader. I also do not applaud her for not including Scientists on her panel.
* My comments are based upon this article. If the reporters are not telling the whole truth. Then my comments will not stand.

Here's a wise Prime Minister. She's shutting the country down for a month. She's not letting any more people die on her watch. And she gets extra points for not being flanked by political cronies during the press release. Who stands with her? Just someone standing 6' away signing for the hearing impaired.

Hats off to PM Jacinda Ardern.

Coronavirus: New Zealand announces lockdown
New Zealand is preparing to enter a month-long nationwide lockdown from Wednesday night. All public venues will close, as will most shops except supermarkets and chemists.

The move came after the number of cases of Covid-19 in New Zealand rose past 100.

In an address to the nation the Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said she was 'not willing to put the lives of her citizens in danger.'

New Zealand enters near-total lockdown

The United States is still struggling to do enough testing to understand the true scale of the epidemic.
Now, researchers around the country are looking for new tools to help track how the virus is spreading. Testing your sewage may be one way.

The need to find new ways to measure this epidemic has become even more urgent in recent weeks. According to CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield, about 25% of Americans may be asymptomatic carriers, meaning they are infected but will likely never get tested because they don’t have symptoms.

The current coronavirus test swabs your nose and mouth, but scientists have also detected the virus in the stool of infected people. The virus then gets into sewage water through infected stool, giving scientists an indirect way to tell if the virus is present.

As the US struggles with lack of coronavirus testing, researchers look to our sewage for clues

After a 15-day battle in the hospital and receiving critical care for COVID-19, Christina Paz, the 47-year-old mother of five was discharged from Staten Island University Hospital - South and reunited with her husband.
She becomes tearful as she sees her husband, getting up to give him a long-awaited hug.

SIUH Executive Director Brahim Ardolic says that Paz’s story exemplifies the strength in those saving lives and those fighting the virus.

“This is a testament to the courageous providers who cared for this woman as well as her own fight to live. We are incredibly proud of all the providers that took care of her and the providers across the country.

"This shows that we are much stronger together than this terrible virus ever could be," Ardolic added.

Mom of 5 with coronavirus applauded as she is discharged from SIUH after a weeks-long fight to live

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago I mentioned my pregnant friend and her concerns about giving birth right now. She just had her little boy and both are doing very well. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ She was only allowed to have her husband with her and it was a very scary experience overall. Thank you all for the well wishes and kind words. At least he'll have one heck of an interesting birth story!

So, no drive thru or food takeaways. If your water heater explodes, your oven or your computer go on the blitz, that's just too bad?g
they have 4.4 million people in New Zealand.
Only 100 cases? Statistically, of which 60% will not have symptoms?
Personally, I'm glad she is not my leader. I also do not applaud her for not including Scientists on her panel.
* My comments are based upon this article. If the reporters are not telling the whole truth. Then my comments will not stand.
It isn't actually an article, so reporters telling the truth is not an issue. It's the leader herself, speaking. The text in the original post is the blurb that accompanies the video. This leader uses science as a decision-making tool, and does it well: COVID-19 Q & A With New Zealand’s Chief Science Advisor. As for 100 cases - that's the idea. Contain, isolate, reduce the spread, do contact tracing. That's why Icelanders get to hang out (in small groups) and aren't locked down - because they acted early and effectively. Iceland lab testing suggests 50% of coronavirus cases are asymptomatic - CNN Unfortunately, NZ is locked down, but the hope is to stem the tide of infection early. They started lockdown 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
The United States is still struggling to do enough testing to understand the true scale of the epidemic.
Now, researchers around the country are looking for new tools to help track how the virus is spreading. Testing your sewage may be one way.

The need to find new ways to measure this epidemic has become even more urgent in recent weeks. According to CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield, about 25% of Americans may be asymptomatic carriers, meaning they are infected but will likely never get tested because they don’t have symptoms.

The current coronavirus test swabs your nose and mouth, but scientists have also detected the virus in the stool of infected people. The virus then gets into sewage water through infected stool, giving scientists an indirect way to tell if the virus is present.

As the US struggles with lack of coronavirus testing, researchers look to our sewage for clues

Or they could just come up with a vaccine pretty soon, so we wouldn't have to worry about all this. I know they're in Phase 1 trials for new recombinant vacccines, but those have very long clinical trial designs.

Anybody have a link for zinc?
Not planning to take it. Just to have available "in case"

I'm not going to complain. I'd rather they save lives, but this is just to report my experience today. I don't know if it'll help and there's difference of opinions so far, but...

MOO, it's true that Lupus and RA patients that normally take hydroxychloroquine may be affected by the shortage of the drug for awhile.

I have taken Plaquenil for RA for years. It's a blessing and has helped me so much. Tried to get my normal 90 day refill today. I ordered it online yesterday, but
(1) They wouldn't mail it this time, said to go pick it up. (I went to the pharmacy at the hospital. Great procedures and they took my temperature when I went in.)
(2) They only gave me a 14 day supply and they count it as a full refill. Instead of 100 pills, I got 14. Oh well, it's okay, we're in a Pandemic.

As I said, I'm not complaining. I know the news and Trump has said production of the drug has been increased. I hope something can help save lives.

This was an interesting article someone posted earlier today. Combo with Zinc.
LA doctor seeing success with hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19

WHO
Can we create a pandemic-free world?
12 February 2018

“I’d like to begin with a story.

In a military camp, a cook reports to the medical centre with fever, a sore throat, and aches and pains.

Within minutes, a second soldier comes in with similar symptoms. By lunchtime there are more than 100 cases, and more than 500 by the end of the week.

Batallions from the camp are sent to fight a war in foreign lands. Confined living quarters and massive movements of troops provide the ideal conditions for the virus to spread.

Within months, the epidemic sweeps across five continents.

Its symptoms include fever, headache, muscle and joint pain. As the virus takes hold, patients turn blue and suffocate as their lungs fill with fluid.

There are no vaccines to stop the virus, and no drugs to treat it. Many of its victims are young, cut down in their most productive years.

Schools, places of worship, theatres and other public places are closed. Business closing times are staggered to avoid congestion on public transport. Funerals are limited to 15 minutes, to minimise contact. There is a shortage of coffins.

And then, as suddenly as it started, the pandemic ends.

One third of the world’s population has been infected. Up to 100 million people are dead.

Ladies and gentlemen,

This is not some future nightmare scenario. This is exactly what happened, 100 years ago during the Spanish flu epidemic, in 1918.”

[...]

“Apart from its terrible human cost, Ebola also had a devastating economic impact. The IMF reduced its growth projections for the three affected countries. Commodity prices plunged, while unemployment and fiscal deficits rose.

Ebola showed just how the vulnerable the world is.”

[...]

“Ladies and gentlemen,

We do not know where or when the next global pandemic will occur, but we do know that it will take a terrible toll, both on human life, and on the global economy. It may even cause political instability.

Can we create a pandemic-free world? This is the question. There is no such thing as a guarantee, but with meticulous preparation and rapid response, we can prevent most outbreaks from getting out of control, and limit the impact of those that spread internationally.”

Last edited:
READ: Supreme Court decision on Wisconsin primary election - CNNPolitics

Best to those in Wisconsin who will bravely exercise their rights tomorrow as Americans. It's a shame you have to risk your lives, when 6 extra days might have been granted, with delayed reporting of results to help prevent problems.

Hopefully, good sanitation practices and distancing will be observed.

Last edited:
(A lot of good information here)

The coronavirus can live on a surgical mask for 7 days, cloth for 2 days, and paper for 3 hours. Here's how to disinfect surfaces properly.
A study published April 2 in the journal The Lancet shows that the virus lasts longest — up to seven days — on stainless steel, plastic, and surgical masks.
Strikingly, the authors wrote, of all the materials they tested, the coronavirus lasted longest on the outer layer of a surgical mask. On day seven of their investigation, the virus was still present on the outward facing side of the mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305