Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are mistaken. Not everybody admitted to ICU needed a ventilator, only 67 % ( or two thirds) needed a ventilator. Of those who were put on a ventilator, 67% ended up dying, which means 33% of people put on a ventilator didn't die. So ventilator saved a third of people who were put on a ventilator. Obviously they would have liked to save more, but it's not correct that ventilator was of no help.

A co-worker has a daughter that is a RN in ICU and is treating patients with the virus. She basically said the same thing except where you have 67 percent, she rounded up to 70 percent.

I am still scared. My state is either rebellious or does not understand the meaning of
stay at home. I know I get out for the pup ride, but I stay in the car and don't stop except for stop lights, red lights. Lowe's parking lot was packed full. Huge line at Walmart.
I don't care, I am not going out to the stores. I am too scared.

Hope everyone is inside and staying safe.

Last edited:
United Kingdom

Boris Johnson’s persistently high temperature has fallen as he continues emergency treatment for coronavirus, it has been reported.

Mr Johnson was rushed to intensive care at St Thomas’ Hospital in central London at 7pm on Monday after he failed to overcome symptoms of Covid-19.

But the Prime Minister's temperature has now fallen as he recovers from the potentially deadly virus, reports the Times.

Boris Johnson's 'temperature falls' a day after going into intensive care

I am really glad Mr. Johnson is improving.

A co-worker has a daughter that is a RN in ICU and is treating patients with the virus. She basically said the same thing except where you have 67 percent, she rounded up to 70 percent.

I am still scared. My state is either rebellious or does not understand the meaning of
stay at home. I know I get out for the pup ride, but I stay in the car and don't stop except for stop lights, red lights. Lowe's parking lot was packed full. Huge line at Walmart.
I don't care, I am not going out to stores. I am too scared.

Hope everyone is inside and staying safe.
Your doing all the right things Kensie. So glad your still doing your puppy parade YEAH!!!!

Not knowing what Country you live in and not asking you to disclose but do you have a Health Line to call. They will walk you thru a questionnaire and tell you how to proceed. Here in Ontario we have a Health Unit to contact.
I'm in New Jersey. I am going to wait it out and see how I feel in morning. If there is still a temp, I will definitely call my doctor. Hopefully it's normal tomorrow.

I wanted to add this info to the ventilation conversation.

There is a SHORTAGE in our country of the drugs/medications people need to be on a ventilator. Hopefully, every hospital has received these much needed drugs by now.

Nobody can tolerate being ventilated without sedation. Covid-19 patients are put into a medically induced coma before being placed on a ventilator, so they do not suffer.

"Hospitals are in dire need of injectable fentanyl, used to safely place patients on ventilators and keep patients sedated so their lungs can heal. The demand for fentanyl, hydromorphone and morphine spiked 67% in March compared to January, according to Vizient, Inc, which helps healthcare providers manage their supply chains. At the same time, the fill rate for Vizient members had dropped to 73% by March 25."

The DEA placed restrictions on the production of injectables, as well as oral prescription opioids. There was a shortage well before the Coronavirus pandemic.

The groups, including the American Hospital Association, American Medical Association, American Society of Anesthesiologists, American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, and Association for Clinical Oncology had to ask the DEA to up the manufacturing of the drugs that patients need while on a ventilator.

A VERY SERIOUS ISSUE

Dr. Michael Ganio, director of pharmacy practice and quality at ASHP, said doctors will be forced to use different and less common combinations of sedatives if shortages continue to mount. That increases the risk of medical errors, he said.

The DEA last week agreed to relax inventory controls for manufacturers, allowing them to produce and store more than 65% of their annual quota throughout the duration of the emergency.

"This exception does not authorize any manufacturer to exceed his previously established annual manufacturing quota," the DEA wrote.
Patients may receive paralyzing drugs, in addition to sedatives, to increase the ventilator’s effectiveness. If the sedatives are not effective, a patient could potentially gain consciousness but be unable to alert medical staff.

https://www.thedoctorpatientforum.com/images/Downloads/GRD-DEA-Letter-CII_1.pdf

Exclusive: Opioid supply crunch for U.S. coronavirus patients prompts appeal to relax limits

Health groups urge feds to relax opioid production limits amid coronavirus

ASHP STATEMENT ON THE PREVENTING DRUG SHORTAGES ACT-ASHP

IMO
Inserting the tube without sedating patients. Keeping patients comatose. I hope this did NOT happened to anyone, that they had the drugs needed

It is upsetting, everything that led to a drug shortage. Why it happened to begin with, to the point the DEA placed quotas on manufacturing opioids. Many people can't get their pain medications filled at pharmacies. It is getting more difficult, they are just not in stock anymore. I have been following this for three years. It is a whole other subject

Then there is the misinterpreted 2016 CDC Opioid Prescribing guidelines...

Prayers @beatrixpotter for your son and @margarita25 your friend is safe
I can’t imagine feeling and remembering the pain of intubation. One time they intubated me right in the ambulance outside my house. The pain from the chest tubes occurred later after I was brought out of the comas. Ventilators saved my life five times while in respiratory failure. One of the times I was also in renal failure. I’ve not thought about this until I read your post. I don’t know what drugs were given to me while on the ventilators. I never asked, I don’t know why not now. I guess shock. My nurse told me they gave me Diprovan to put me in the coma. Maybe that’s what they gave me to keep me breathing. I remembered it was the same drug Michael Jackson died of. It scared me a little. She told me he died because he wasn’t on a respirator and ventilator and the benefit to me outweighed the risk. From the moment 911 arrives, to the moment I’m brought out of slumber - no matter how long - I don’t remember pain, distress, anyone or anything. Like instant sleep and instant awake - with the snap of the finger. It’s breaking my heart reading these articles thinking of their pain. I’ve had to have two spinal taps without sedation and it was unbearable. I’ll never forget it. Pain sucks.

I worked on the FSMB committee writing and implementing the policy for Intractable Pain Management. I helped trouble shoot the beta version of state prescription monitoring program for physicians and the narcotics board. I monitored pain management continuing education compliance for physician licensure. Then...

I fractured my spine in six places with herniated discs and two fractured ribs. Over time, I became addicted to opioids. It was a rough go but I made it out of the chasing the high/dope sick cycle seven years ago. I see both sides. I do remember having a difficult time getting Oxy to come in as scheduled. Then my docs switched me over to Methadone - it was very hard to get my script filled. See this link for the The Federation of State Medical Boards FSMB individual state pain management guidelines.
https://www.fsmb.org/siteassets/advocacy/key-issues/pain-management-by-state.pdf

Matthew McConaughey continues to encourage fans to "turn a red light into a green light." The "True Detective" star recently joined a Zoom call to play bingo with the residents of the Enclave at Round Rock Senior Living in his home state of Texas. Matthew was with his wife Camila, their two kids and his mom Kay as they called into the senior meet-up.

On Easter Sunday (April 12, 2020), by invitation of the City and of the Duomo cathedral of Milan, Italian global music icon Andrea Bocelli will give a solo performance representing a message of love, healing and hope to Italy and the world. Watch live here at 10am LA, 1pm NYC, 6pm UK, 7pm CET.

I can’t imagine feeling and remembering the pain of intubation. One time they intubated me right in the ambulance outside my house. The pain from the chest tubes occurred later after I was brought out of the comas. Ventilators saved my life five times while in respiratory failure. One of the times I was also in renal failure. I’ve not thought about this until I read your post. I don’t know what drugs were given to me while on the ventilators. I never asked, I don’t know why not now. I guess shock. My nurse told me they gave me Diprovan to put me in the coma. Maybe that’s what they gave me to keep me breathing. I remembered it was the same drug Michael Jackson died of. It scared me a little. She told me he died because he wasn’t on a respirator and ventilator and the benefit to me outweighed the risk. From the moment 911 arrives, to the moment I’m brought out of slumber - no matter how long - I don’t remember pain, distress, anyone or anything. Like instant sleep and instant awake - with the snap of the finger. It’s breaking my heart reading these articles thinking of their pain. I’ve had to have two spinal taps without sedation and it was unbearable. I’ll never forget it. Pain sucks.

I worked on the FSMB committee writing and implementing the policy for Intractable Pain Management. I helped trouble shoot the beta version of state prescription monitoring program for physicians and the narcotics board. I monitored pain management continuing education compliance for physician licensure. Then...

I fractured my spine in six places with herniated discs and two fractured ribs. Over time, I became addicted to opioids. It was a rough go but I made it out of the chasing the high/dope sick cycle seven years ago. I see both sides. I do remember having a difficult time getting Oxy to come in as scheduled. Then my docs switched me over to Methadone - it was very hard to get my script filled. See this link for the The Federation of State Medical Boards FSMB individual state pain management guidelines.
https://www.fsmb.org/siteassets/advocacy/key-issues/pain-management-by-state.pdf

I got chills reading this. I so hope that you are okay.

Coronavirus live updates: U.S. deaths top 12,000 as New York City suffers deadliest day
At the start of what officials have warned could be the deadliest week of the coronavirus pandemic, the total number of deaths in the U.S. rose to more than 12,000 on Tuesday, according to NBC News' tally. New York City alone topped 4,000 deaths, recording its single deadliest day with over 800 dying in the 24 hours since Monday night.

[...]

France surpassed 10,000 deaths due to the virus, though French health officials warned that the county had yet to hit tis peak.

And in a sign of hope, China, where the pandemic broke out, recorded no new deaths on Monday for the first time since it started reporting coronavirus figures in January.

[...]

He said it happens thru the night. Now i don't know if he is still suffering the fevers. Hopefully he has passed that phase as i think he got kicked pretty hard.
Last night during his airtime on CNN, he showed his chest X-rays and the virus' infiltration into his lungs. He sounded scared. He also said his infectious disease doctor told him to stand as much as possible, to stretch his arms over his head, to hold his breath for 10 seconds if he could, anything to work in lung capacity and chest opening. He said the doctor was emphatic about it..saying, "Do it!"

This is a true mom (no pop) cafe in the town near me. They are forced to close because of "jerks" (and that's the nicest name I can call them, came from another hot spot state and didn't quarantine. I am too sad tonight to say more.

Penelope's Lil' Cafe closing temporarily due to COVID-19 concerns
MOO

Looks like a nice cafe. I would love to go there. So sorry that they had to close because of careless selfish out 0f towners. What is wrong with people??????

I'm in New Jersey. I am going to wait it out and see how I feel in morning. If there is still a temp, I will definitely call my doctor. Hopefully it's normal tomorrow.
I'm in NJ as well. 211 is the number to call for questions. Or your local hospital may have online chat for your questions.

There is a thread here for NJ News, btw/fyi with lots of links.

New Jersey - Coronavirus COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member