Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Island life during lockdown

"It's a very strange time, we would normally see hundreds of people coming over from all over the world, but with the lockdown, we are not taking any chances."

Clyde Grobler lives on Rathlin Island with his partner Sarah and children Freyja and Jago.

Rathlin is Northern Ireland's only inhabited off-shore island and it's famous for its seabirds.

Mr Grobler, originally from South Africa, met Armagh-born Sarah on the island and they moved there nine years ago.

The family are adjusting to life under lockdown, but their new normal is different again to that on the mainland.

_111700863_rathlin4.jpg

Image captionThe island boasts many species of wildlife - many unique to Rathlin

I do, too. Friends and family agree with me, we’re not exiting the lockdown as soon as it’s over. I am convinced the second wave will kick in within days of the lockdown being lifted.
If Round 1 modeling projections wind up hugely overstated, few will believe future projections, imo.

Last edited:
Why not hop in your car loaded with supplies to join him? It might take a day or 2, but if it's doable, why not? You would both feel better.
Respectfully - I'm not certain that's the best advice. If both MamaOV and son have successfully socially distanced, then getting from Point A to Point B is going to expose them and very possibly undo all the work up to this point. I have been very impressed with others thinking and suggesting ordering meals, supplies and even providing some links to resources in the area for her to contact. As a mother, I know how difficult it is to be away from our children at this time, no matter their age. As with so many other situations in our "normal" everyday lives, we often have to choose the difficult path that may hopefully be best for all

Do all of you expect a huge ‘Round 2’, post lockdown? I do, at least in my area. Once lockdown is lifted, I really don’t anticipate my life changing much from how I currently live.
Mr Pirate and I were talking about this last night. For us, it really does not matter when the Michigan 'stay at home' order ends. Our life will be on lock down for quite some time.

Do all of you expect a huge ‘Round 2’, post lockdown? I do, at least in my area. Once lockdown is lifted, I really don’t anticipate my life changing much from how I currently live.

I do not see a huge round 2. The drastic actions we taking are to stop the spread and kill the virus. The virus doesn't last more than a few days without a host carrier. Without transmission it will die. The models show this, although they are based on input assumptions.

A lot of variables will be at play, how well do we continue to follow distancing protocol, and how soon does the government lift restrictions on businesses.

There are some positives though, Americans are infinitely more aware of the facts of a pandemic, and they see the damage that is caused; their behavior going forward will be better than it was a month ago. The weather is also warming and getting more humid, which should help reduce transmission (unproven, but expected). Finally, the greed of our corporations and innovation of our scientists means we will be much better prepared in six weeks, with widespread testing, potential treatments, and advances towards a vaccine.

I am optimistic.

Island life during lockdown

"It's a very strange time, we would normally see hundreds of people coming over from all over the world, but with the lockdown, we are not taking any chances."

Clyde Grobler lives on Rathlin Island with his partner Sarah and children Freyja and Jago.

Rathlin is Northern Ireland's only inhabited off-shore island and it's famous for its seabirds.

Mr Grobler, originally from South Africa, met Armagh-born Sarah on the island and they moved there nine years ago.

The family are adjusting to life under lockdown, but their new normal is different again to that on the mainland.

_111700863_rathlin4.jpg

Image captionThe island boasts many species of wildlife - many unique to Rathlin

Really nice little story.....thanks for posting. Most of us would never see such stories without the WS community sharing.

Respectfully - I'm not certain that's the best advice. If both MamaOV and son have successfully socially distanced, then getting from Point A to Point B is going to expose them and very possibly undo all the work up to this point.
if both properly isolated & it is possible to unite without one risking exposure, it is not problematic, per Dr. Gupta, CNN. Iirc, a few here now isolate with family or friends. I’ve read a few articles suggesting an ‘isolation buddy’ as a positive. It actually influences people from going out if they have someone to share the experience with. Moo

Thanks for asking :) I sent him some a little money and he tried Instacart yesterday but I don't think it will actually be delivered for a few days or maybe the weekend, apparently I accidentally deleted his texts with the info. It's so tempting to fly down there to be with him, he's stuck all alone in an apartment (apparently his roommate left) with no car, very little food and money, scared to go outside but losing his mind sitting in the apartment all day etc. He's feeling totally overwhelmed.

He may also want to try this great resource MOO I received from my insurance company that anyone can use. Put in zip code and find so much as to help.

"As our nation comes together to address the COVID-19 crisis, your health and well-being continues to be our primary concern. The outbreak and effects of COVID-19 can be overwhelming. Social and emotional well-being is key to your whole health. That’s why we partnered with leading community and health organizations to provide new resources and tools to help you and your family navigate the stress and anxiety, as well as find important social services such as help with food, housing, job training, and transportation during this challenging time.

New resources include:

COVID-19 Mental health resource hub
Our partnership with Psych Hub COVID-19 Mental Health Resource Hub - Psych Hub provides you with tools and resources to help manage potential stress and anxiety resulting from COVID-19. This hub brings together a variety of resources to help you cope with social isolation, job loss and other mental health issues you may be facing.

Aunt Bertha social support services
During this time, we understand many members may need help with food, housing, job training, transportation and other social support. Our partnership with Aunt Bertha provides you with a solution to help connect you and your family to social services in your communities if you need it. You can find services such as help with food, housing, job training, and transportation by visiting Aunt Bertha Community Resource Link and entering your ZIP code................. "

ETA: If there is another thread which you/anyone thinks this post should also be in, please cut/paste for folks to find there. TIA

So I "went to the doctor" yesterday. I have been putting off calling to see if I could treat myself at home--no COVID symptoms, just seasonal allergies, sinus. But my nose and eyes have been itching off my face and I'm having nosebleeds the sinus pressure has built up so much. After doing weeks of salt water rinses, Neti Pot, Zyrtec, Tylenol Sinus, hot compresses, humidifier, you-name-it, I gave in and called. Turns out I did not have to go in. Nurse had me calculate my temp, weight, BP, and pulse right here in my own home. The Doc called me within 3 mins of finishing my vitals/questions. The questions were interesting:
  • Of course, have you had any virus symptoms (fever, cough, etc.).
  • Have you been out of the state recently?
  • Have you been to church?
  • Have you been to any social gatherings?
  • Have you been exposed to anyone who's tested positive?
All in all, it was the best and easiest Dr's appt. I've ever had! And now am on antibiotic, Prednisone, and Flonase. Feeling a little better already and looking forward to not scratching my eyes out the next few weeks.

I do not see a huge round 2. The drastic actions we taking are to stop the spread and kill the virus. The virus doesn't last more than a few days without a host carrier. Without transmission it will die. The models show this, although they are based on input assumptions.

A lot of variables will be at play, how well do we continue to follow distancing protocol, and how soon does the government lift restrictions on businesses.

There are some positives though, Americans are infinitely more aware of the facts of a pandemic, and they see the damage that is caused; their behavior going forward will be better than it was a month ago. The weather is also warming and getting more humid, which should help reduce transmission (unproven, but expected). Finally, the greed of our corporations and innovation of our scientists means we will be much better prepared in six weeks, with widespread testing, potential treatments, and advances towards a vaccine.

I am optimistic.

The virus doesn't last more than a few days without a host carrier.
Do we have more statistical information on this? I know early on, there was some research analyzing China cases as possibly including mutations. I have heard nothing of that for quite a while. Do you have any sources for your statement above, and any more recent discussion of mutation. tia...

Do we have more statistical information on this? I know early on, there was some research analyzing China cases as possibly including mutations. I have heard nothing of that for quite a while. Do you have any sources for your statement above, and any more recent discussion of mutation. tia...
I thought it was 72 hours on surfaces but only from my memory? Only 1 day on some surfaces. Will have to gen up on it again.

ETA remembering that some posters leave shopping outside for a few days.

Thanks for asking :) I sent him some a little money and he tried Instacart yesterday but I don't think it will actually be delivered for a few days or maybe the weekend, apparently I accidentally deleted his texts with the info. It's so tempting to fly down there to be with him, he's stuck all alone in an apartment (apparently his roommate left) with no car, very little food and money, scared to go outside but losing his mind sitting in the apartment all day etc. He's feeling totally overwhelmed.

If he is a student, does his college or university offer telehealth counseling? Most universities are offering appointments for their students, at no cost. It might help to talk to someone about the anxiety and feelings of overwhelmedness that someone in his situation would be feeling. Also, they may have someone who can deliver some student food pantry items to his door and leave it. Our university is doing that, we have volunteers who are delivery nonperishable food items from our student food pantry, which is still operating, even though the campus is closed.

I don't have information of mutation of COVID-19, but you can find in a search that it mutates less than the flu. However, they both do mutate and I don't know how that impacts our effort against coronavirus.

Here is the "lifetime" info on the virus-

The scientists tested the viruses on plastic, stainless steel, copper, and cardboard. They also used a rotating drum to suspend the virus in aerosols, a mist of tiny droplets. This technique was used to determine if the virus could linger in the air.

SARS-CoV-2 remained active on plastic and stainless steel surfaces for two to three days under the conditions in this experiment. It remained infectious for up to 24 hours on cardboard and four hours on copper. The virus was detectable in aerosols for up to three hours. These times will vary under real-world conditions, depending on factors including temperature, humidity, ventilation, and the amount of virus deposited.

The results suggest that people may acquire SARS-CoV-2 through the air and after touching contaminated objects. However, although the viruses were able to infect cells in the laboratory, how much virus is likely to cause infections in people remains to be studied.

Study suggests new coronavirus may remain on surfaces for days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member