Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
330F77CA-6B47-4100-BD31-D263A4DF373A.jpeg

Manhattan cathedral is converted into a makeshift hospital with nine medical tents and 400 beds in its nave - ready for COVID-19 patients to arrive as soon as next week

NYC's Cathedral of St. John the Divine is converted into a makeshift hospital overnight | Daily Mail Online

I’m not an Epidemiologist and don’t pretend to be but is it a good idea to have coronavirus patients in beds so close together breathing the same air when they are all suffering from a potentially deadly virus? Could this set up not actually make patients worse rather than better?

I saw video of the new nightingale hospital in London and the new Louisa Jordan Hospital in Glasgow (Scotland) for coronavirus patients and have the same concerns there. I’m absolutely shocked they don’t have individual cubicles or even curtains separating the beds just a 1/2 height partition wall. Thousands of patients and staff are all breathing the same air in an enclosed space and it just seems like a disaster waiting to happen to me.

Adding Dr. Fauci's opinion here 4/7

Dr. Fauci said yesterday the study done in Wuhan was not a very robust study.

"It is still possible that there is a beneficial effect, but the study that was just quoted on a scale of strength of evidence, that is not overwhelmingly strong. It said 37% of doctors "feel" the drugs are beneficial. "We don't operate on how you feel, we operate on what evidence is and data is.

Although there is some suggestion that there is a benefit there, I think we have to be careful that we don't make that majestic leap to assume that this is a knockout drug.

I grant that, it is understandable why people may want to take something anyway, even with the slightest hint of it being effective. I have no problem with that."

The jury is still out on whether hydroxychloroquine is the answer to treating COVID19 because studies coming from abroad have been small, not randomized meaning they are not using a control group which american scientists hold as the gold standard of research.

View attachment 242382

Manhattan cathedral is converted into a makeshift hospital with nine medical tents and 400 beds in its nave - ready for COVID-19 patients to arrive as soon as next week

NYC's Cathedral of St. John the Divine is converted into a makeshift hospital overnight | Daily Mail Online

I’m not an Epidemiologist and don’t pretend to be but is it a good idea to have coronavirus patients in beds so close together breathing the same air when they are all suffering from a potentially deadly virus? Could this set up not actually make patients worse rather than better?

I saw video of the new nightingale hospital in London and the new Louisa Jordan Hospital in Glasgow (Scotland) for coronavirus patients and have the same concerns there. I’m absolutely shocked they don’t have individual cubicles or even curtains separating the beds just a 1/2 height partition wall. Thousands of patients and staff are all breathing the same air in an enclosed space and it just seems like a disaster waiting to happen to me.

It doesn't really make much difference if everyone is sick with the same thing. They need room between beds for medical equipment - if it's available - but otherwise people just need to be kept away from healthy people and cared for. Staff need proper medical equipment.

I agree that privacy between beds would be nicer, but in desperate times ...

So now it's been on your dirty car seat and you plan to put it back on your face? You are not supposed to even touch outside of it. And now its contaminated your seat and your seat contaminated it. At least keep it in a paper bag.
Basically, what you should be doing with a surgical mask is carefully remove it and throw it away, without touching the outside of it. I don't think anybody recommends reusing them.
No, it has not 'contaminated' the car seat. She lives in the desert. The car probably gets very HOT inside. Hot enough to kill the virus.

The virus will not be able to live on the mask for more than 10 days. It should be fine to reuse, with an inner lining in place.

I have been doing that with my masks, and so far, so good.

It doesn't really make much difference if everyone is sick with the same thing. They need room between beds for medical equipment - if it's available - but otherwise people just need to be kept away from healthy people and cared for. Staff need proper medical equipment.

I agree that privacy between beds would be nicer, but in desperate times ...

I understand times are desperate. I’m just worried about one patient going in with less severe symptoms of coronavirus than the person in the bed next to them and then they start getting worse because of them.

During these absolutely horrible times, what is the best job??? I am okay at the moment even though I am not a health care person but what about eye doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc. Society is being hammered across the board. Small businesses are suffering, restaurants airline pilots and flight attendants, Hotels and their staff, teachers
are suffering, etc.

Is there a safe type of job during this type of situation?
Computer science related jobs are the best job to have during a pandemic lockdown situation. My software engineer son works remotely at his home now, says he can concentrate so much better than at the office. He even set his own hours 10 - 6pm. His darling dog loves him at home too. a definite bonus.

We froze a gallon of milk. I removed a cup’s worth because of the expansion. I’ll be interesting to see how it tastes.
I just defrosted our frozen milk last night. I am still unsure of how well it worked...

We used it in coffee this morning--when you pour it, it flows out kind of lumpy.... And it seems kind of watery and tasteless. o_O

I haven't tried it on cereal or used it for cooking yet.

I understand times are desperate. I’m just worried about one patient going in with less severe symptoms of coronavirus than the person in the bed next to them and then they start getting worse because of them.

I agree, especially since both the S and L strain are circulating in some countries. If the virus was uncontrolled, health care systems will be overwhelmed and there's only so much that anyone can do for those who are sick in that overwhelmed situation. Furthermore, medical professionals must be in full protective gear. There isn't enough time or gear to switch out the gear between the many patients. A curtain will not prevent the spread of the virus between patients.

I just defrosted our frozen milk last night. I am still unsure of how well it worked...

We used it in coffee this morning--when you pour it, it flows out kind of lumpy.... And it seems kind of watery and tasteless. o_O

I had a grocery delivery 2 weeks ago, including milk. I put almost everything in the garage for 3 days. The milk froze. It was awful in coffee.

I freeze milk all of the time. You need to shake it well before using.

No covid antibody tests have been approved in Canada, but Canada is working to develop a test. Fake tests have popped up, and quickly shut down.

Are there any authentic anti-body tests in the US?

Yes, there were some problems with those first serology tests, I think they were inaccurate, if I recollect correctly.

I am in Europe and I am not sure are there authentic antibody tests anywhere right now.

But I found an interesting link; here:

Global Progress on COVID-19 Serology-Based Testing

In my country they plan to buy those tests when they become available and to do a sentinel study on a (sample of maybe few thousand) population.

Kansas lawmakers OVERTURN limit on social gatherings so people can head to church on Easter Sunday as state's death toll jumps 40 percent in a day

Kansas lawmakers OVERTURN limit on social gatherings so people can head to church on Easter Sunday | Daily Mail Online

I can’t believe lives will be put at risk for an Easter Sunday service. You do not need to be in a place of worship to pray. I was raised catholic so I understand how important Easter Mass is but this is a life or death risk people are taking.

21-year-old college student becomes youngest person in Colorado to die from COVID-19
1 hour ago

“"Cody's a strong individual. He's an athlete, he's a baseball player," Kevin said, adding, "This virus doesn't discriminate."

“...Cody's mother, said her son was a generous person who "loved giving."

"He had the most infectious smile. I mean, that kid's smile just lit up a room," she said. "He was taken from us way too soon."”

Yes, there were some problems with those first serology tests, I think they were inaccurate, if I recollect correctly.

I am in Europe and I am not sure are there authentic antibody tests anywhere right now.

But I found an interesting link; here:

Global Progress on COVID-19 Serology-Based Testing

In my country they plan to buy those tests when they become available and to do a sentinel study on a (sample of maybe few thousand) population.

That's what I thought - no confirmed test yet. A reliable test is needed so people who are on the other side of the virus can safely kick-start economies. More countries than those mentioned in the link (thank you for that) are developing antibody tests.

I suppose two tests are needed before self-isolation rules can be relaxed : test for the virus, test for the antibodies. Contact tracing has to be increased too, so that if people are working again and one becomes sick, identifying the source becomes critical in maintaining little to no transmission.

Hopefully there is no second wave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member