Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping that we come out of this with the discovery that we don't all have to physically gather for work. Many people are successfully working from home. Some people are working more efficiently and productively from home.

It would make life much more pleasant for many if they didn't have to start their trek to work an hour or more ahead of time, with leaving a child off at the day care and entering a traffic queue. It's costly in terms of vehicle expense, lost family and personal time, and enviromental damage.

Not everyone will be able to continue working from home, but I hope that many will find it is a better option than travelling to work.

LA Has The Cleanest Air In The World, Report Says

"With so many people staying at home and off the roads, Los Angeles currently has the cleanest air in the world,..."

Sorry to hear about your niece, musicaljoke. I hope she gets better.

I was in a zoom meeting for work today and management is gearing up to send us all back to the office on April 24 because “it hasn’t been that bad here.” Gee, maybe it hasn’t been that bad because we are all staying home...? I have underlying health issues and don’t want to go back at all at this point.

This!
The cream, fat layer is separating during the freezing process and is depending on the thawing method, this all needs to be joined as emulsion.

Indeed, a good shake fixes it up. Also, one mustn't be tempted to pour out any milk before it is completely thawed. The fats and sugars in the milk thaw first, so if you pour them off, you will end up with watery milk.

The Disney Wonder cruise arrived in San Diego on March 19 and now we've learned that several crew members and passengers have tested positive for COVID. My niece was on that cruise, and now is deathly ill with pneumonia and is presumed COVID positive. She has multiple health challenges and required an organ transplant last year.

From what I understand, the company is offering these passengers a cruise next year for half price.

San Diego ends cruise ship deliveries after Disney Wonder passenger, crew member test positive

I'm in San Diego. Where is your niece now? Is she in San Diego? Oh dear, she sounds very sick with pneumonia. I'm so sorry to hear that. Prayers for her recovery. Keep us posted please.

The Disney Wonder cruise arrived in San Diego on March 19 and now we've learned that several crew members and passengers have tested positive for COVID. My niece was on that cruise, and now is deathly ill with pneumonia and is presumed COVID positive. She has multiple health challenges and required an organ transplant last year.

From what I understand, the company is offering these passengers a cruise next year for half price.

San Diego ends cruise ship deliveries after Disney Wonder passenger, crew member test positive

That’s dreadful. Your poor niece. I can’t imagine...I hope she will make a full recovery.

I'm hoping that we come out of this with the discovery that we don't all have to physically gather for work. Many people are successfully working from home. Some people are working more efficiently and productively from home.

It would make life much more pleasant for many if they didn't have to start their trek to work an hour or more ahead of time, with leaving a child off at the day care and entering a traffic queue. It's costly in terms of vehicle expense, lost family and personal time, and enviromental damage.

Not everyone will be able to continue working from home, but I hope that many will find it is a better option than travelling to work.
It would help climate change too. The G8 and G20 via video conferencing. Davros via VTC etc.

Very same here. Schools on March 13 plus all public places, limits on numbers of people who could gather. We were given projections yesterday - they are scary.

"The probable scenario is that infections will peak in mid-May, according to modelling done by Alberta Health Services.

"From the beginning of the outbreak to the end of summer we could see as many as 800,000 infections, and between 400 and 3,100 deaths,"

Under a less likely elevated scenario, infections would peak at the beginning of May with as many as one-million positive tests and between 500 and 6,600 deaths.

Kenney provided a much more dire outlook for the province if physical distancing was not practiced and public health orders were not issued. If those key steps weren't taken, the province could have seen as many as 1.6-million infections and 32,000 deaths, or 640 deaths per day, the data shows."​

Alberta could see up to 800,000 COVID-19 infections in 'most likely' scenario

How are folks doing in Alberta? Are you seeing good social distancing compliance?

I'm a bit confused about the peak dates. It is my understanding that the later the peak occurs the better, that we are trying to spread the curve over a longer period by reducing the rate of spread of infection. So it's my understanding, that the later the peak, the fewer the overall cases and the more successful the distancing efforts have been.

But I'm also reading msm articles that are praising an earlier peak date as a successful achievement. However, doesn't an early peak indicate a very fast rate of spread, the very thing that we are trying to avoid?

Bless you. This is really sweet.

But academically, I’m really struggling with this...I don’t understand this. I know essential workers are needed, but how does this help the flattening of the curve, and more importantly, how might it negate it? Last I saw essential workers like PD and health workers and grocery workers are still getting sick...Surely the risks of this decision have been weighed and surely...I just don’t know how this fits with the data that we have so far...this is what I’m so confused about...there must be new data we don’t know about? 48 hours is nothing wrt incubation last I heard...it can be up to 14 days....I’m so confused. The “cure” for further spread is to isolate and quarantine. I’m not aware of any reports were asymptomatic transmission has been ruled out? Maybe there is new data on this, maybe the risk is minute, I don’t know. I don’t like that I don’t understand this. I want to know how they came to this decision. Is this really what the CDC really believes now? Dr. Nancy? And if so, why? Based on what? Is a dangerous decision and compromise being made here? They are the professionals, so they must know what’s right? Right? What does WHO think about this? So many questions. I must be misinformed about something...I have to be. Sorry not eloquent. I just want to know what this is based on, the whys, etc. I will want to see all context and reference tomorrow in its entirety.

Perhaps after the pandemic is over and this policy comes under public scrutiny, we will hear more about the reason for this seemingly absurd new protocol. IMO, it reeks of business or political interference.

Last edited:
I'm in San Diego. Where is your niece now? Is she in San Diego? Oh dear, she sounds very sick with pneumonia. I'm so sorry to hear that. Prayers for her recovery. Keep us posted please.

Thank you for your kind words. She is in Ontario, Canada. She and her family made the journey from San Diego to Toronto after having been exposed to COViD. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of trail they left in their wake.

The little girl who inspired Charlotte's Web marijuana oil dies.

Charlotte Figi, girl with severe seizures that inspired CBD treatments, dies at 13

"In a Facebook post last week, Paige Figi announced that Charlotte was in the hospital because of a virus."

"Most of the house recovered well from a month of virus but our little Charlotte hasn’t improved," the post read. "She had a couple days where she seemed to turn the corner but then she took a dive. We used all of our tricks the past few days but nothing worked."

Thank you for your kind words. She is in Ontario, Canada. She and her family made the journey from San Diego to Toronto after having been exposed to COViD. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of trail they left in their wake.

I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. I hope she is getting the best of medical care now and will pull through. For some reason, the statistics show females survive this more often than males.

My comments refer to a province of 4.3 million, not the entire country. I think people are still travelling in the province for work - necessary for supply chain.

Croatia (56,594 km²) is 0.09 times as big as Alberta (661,850 km²). Different size means different measures.

MapFight - Croatia vs Alberta size comparison

I've wondered if living farther apart from each other could somewhat slow the spread.
Yes otto I believe it does. The UK is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The deaths and transmissions are way higher in England than in the other 3 Nations. We are seeing this in the states now with the higher transmissions and deaths in New York. Mass transit must make a big difference too IMO.

Last edited:
So over the years we have been putting off preparing a will, and over the last few weeks have thought that it might be a good idea to have that in place. Not just for the pandemic situation at hand, but to finally get it done.

So today I had some free time between work projects, and did some research and decided that I would check out "Free Will" online as it had some good reviews and also reviews stated that it is fairly straightforward and easy to use. And, of course, that it is free. Also has a link to review specific state-by-state requirements.

So I googled "Free Will" to find the website, and up came "Free Willy," different "Free Willy" links, over and over again.

We decided to watch that movie instead.

Easily distracted huh. :)
We watched "Contagion" the other night. I'd be interested in what people think if they have watched it recently.

Last edited:
I'm not willing to accept that for myself, yet. I'm not a huge hugger, but a life without any sort of hand clasping or hugging is just not okay with me. It doesn't feel quite human, though I'm sure there are cultures that do not do that outside of close relationships. JMO.
I am thinking of Japan. They only bow to greet right? Could that explain their low transmissions?

I thought only teenagers shook the milk. Is there a reason that we don't normally shake the milk?
I use fully skimmed milk so no point shaking it. Have bought and used frozen goats milk and it is not good as it separates. I do buy a supply of long life skimmed milk to keep for use if we run out of fresh.

True Christians don't mind dying of COVID-19 if they're infected at church': Louisiana pastor insists on still holding services as he faces charges for already having defied state's ban on public gatherings

Louisiana pastor says congregants will die for faith, holds services despite COVID-19 restrictions | Daily Mail Online

I consider myself a true Christian. Our parish chooses to stay home to protect everyone, especially the most vulnerable. "Greater love has no man than he that lays down his life for his friend". We risk lives going to church. We protect and save lives by staying home. We are all sacrificing a lot to do this. BUT we are laying down our lives for others in this way. I'm so embarrassed by people like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77