Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
During Wednesday’s World News Tonight, ABC’s Dr. Jen Aston promoted a pre-trial drug that blocked the virus from attaching to lung cells.

“It's a drug called EIDD 2801. A pill that blocks the coronavirus from attaching to lung cells in test tubes. It could be used to both treat and prevent COVID-19, and it set to start clinical trials in humans this spring,” she explained. “Not a moment too soon,” declared anchor David Muir.

Nets Hype Experimental Virus Treatments, Bash Drug Boosted By Trump

Clinical studies evaluating an antiviral drug that is in development against SARS-CoV-2 are expected to begin later this spring. Scientists working to develop the drug, which is called EIDD-2801, suggest that if trials are successful, the drug could not only be used to limit the spread of SARS-CoV-2, but could also control future outbreaks of other emerging coronaviruses. EIDD-2801 is an orally available form of the antiviral compound EIDD-1931, which has shown promise in reducing lung damage in animal models.

Clinical Trial Evaluating Oral Drug against Coronavirus Expected to Start Later This Spring

What you have provided is very valuable, but the article is just a political rant, imo. I am really eager to hear more and more about the EIDD-2801 because of its main finding--specifically targetted delivery to reduce the severe inflammation to the lungs. I am also reading much about the research that is identifying this to be a Hemoglobin issue first, and the destruction of the lungs second... Thus the EIDD-2801 just seems really important.
No one denies that the hydroxychloroquine may not have some successes, as well as major contraindication with heart issues... BUT I just hope the Feds don't throw all their eggs in the one basket ...(sorry for the Easter connection), because we need to hear of multiple possibilities, and DEFINITELY antibodies and vaccines. THAT will be the real win.

Populations could recover as verges are left uncut, setting what conservationists hope will be a long-term trend
Coronavirus may prove boost for UK's bees and rare wildflowers

IMO this is a wonderful respite for both plants and animals, not so much for humans. Maybe we should take this time and be thankful for all the other "life" around us, the "life" we were charged with the care of by God. We were supposed to tend God's garden, not destroy it.

Just a thought.

Crew members who are debarking the vessel have been cleared to fly by our medical team, the airline transporting them, and by immigration authorities," according to the cruise line's statement provided by Gulliksen. "They will be taken from the Carnival Valor directly to the airport via chartered busses which will be thoroughly cleaned after each use."
Coronavirus: Carnival Valor lets crew off ship, Ruby Princess raided

Opinion | These Coronavirus Exposures Might Be the Most Dangerous

The importance of viral dose is being overlooked in discussions of the coronavirus. As with any other poison, viruses are usually more dangerous in larger amounts. Small initial exposures tend to lead to mild or asymptomatic infections, while larger doses can be lethal.

From a policy perspective, we need to consider that not all exposures to the coronavirus may be the same. Stepping into an office building that once had someone with the coronavirus in it is not as dangerous as sitting next to that infected person for an hourlong train commute.

Both small and large amounts of virus can replicate within our cells and cause severe disease in vulnerable individuals such as the immunocompromised. In healthy people, however, immune systems respond as soon as they sense a virus growing inside. Recovery depends on which wins the race: viral spread or immune activation.

Humans also exhibit sensitivity to viral dose. Volunteers have allowed themselves to be exposed to low or high doses of relatively benign viruses causing colds or diarrhea. Those receiving the low doses have rarely developed visible signs of infection, while high doses have typically led to infections and more severe symptoms.

Low-dose infections can even engender immunity, protecting against high-dose exposures in the future. Before the invention of vaccines, doctors often intentionally infected healthy individuals with fluid from smallpox pustules. The resulting low-dose infections were unpleasant but generally survivable, and they prevented worse incidents of disease when those individuals were later exposed to smallpox in uncontrolled amounts.

Despite the evidence for the importance of viral dose, many of the epidemiological models being used to inform policy during this pandemic ignore it. This is a mistake.

This worth a read. Intentional exposure to very low doses of viruses lead to mild or asymptomatic infections. Intentional exposure works like a vaccine, although at a higher risk.

We live in a dangerous time. The coronavirus is projected to infect 60% of the American population, unless checked. Checking the virus has historic economic cost as we have seen, and the American government is unlikely to replay these unprecendented actions, IMO. The virus will be back in the fall. Maybe there will be an effective treatment by then, maybe not.

Once we get past this monthlong outbreak, should younger, healthy, working Americans be intentionally be exposed in this way, followed by a 14 day quarantine. Get them back to work, get the economy going, and increase the herd immunity. Would a young bus driver prefer a controlled dose, quarantine, and future immunity; or a random and potentially high virus dose of what they encounter from passengers?

In Massachusetts, 95% of deaths are those over 60. Deaths under 60 are typically accompanied by pre-existing conditions (note I realize MA numbers don't reflect numbers in poorer communities for many reasons; I'm noting the only age/death numbers I can find in the U.S). Despite media efforts of playing every story of a young person's CV death in a country of 330 million, this virus primarily attacks weakened immune systems, which increase in numbers greatly with age.

I hope more study is done on this over the next few months, to define risk and reward for this approach.

Yep, it's a SNAFU of major proportions. The 48 hours comes into play such as this.

Jane gets COVID symptoms and is positive. Joe was around Jane 48 hours prior to Jane's symptoms, so Joe must wear a mask for 14 days. Yeppers, it doesn't go further back than that. That's based on data that the virus incubation doesn't create viral loading to spread until 2 days before symptoms I guess, even if the incubation for Jane was 8 days. But but but you ask and say... Jane was showing symptoms and didn't get tested/get test results for 7 days afterwards. (or was never tested at all these days)

My head's spinning... where is that old spinning emoticon we used to have.... I'm as confused as you are

As Dr. Campbell would say, this begs credulity. They're critical, so we are more lax with them... SMDH

.... pfffft.

And just a request/reminder @dixiegirl... please make sure to post Dr. Campbell's next video. I really appreciate how he presents the data. I have been so wondering how horrifying things could get in Africa...and he really elaborated on that so well, yesterday. Does he have a regular schedule??? Or are they random?

Opinion | An I.C.U. Nurse’s Coronavirus Diary

I am one of the many thousands of nurses who work in intensive care units in New York. We are not handmaidens or angels. We are professionals in our own right. We turn treatment plans into action. We question when things don’t make sense or aren’t going to work. We find solutions that work for our patients. Nurses assess and observe, question and console. We stand between the patient and the enemy. We are the front line.
We arrive at work and are both assigned to the Covid I.C.U. We are always here now. This is the first Covid I.C.U. opened in our hospital. We feel a sense of ownership.

We have a quick huddle to confer about patients: who’s the sickest, who’s about to “crash,” whose family has been calling and needs an update. We assess what supplies are low. We don N95 masks. We wear them all day now.

I don’t have a specific patient assignment yet. I’m the “float” nurse, doing a range of things. My first task is to help with post-mortem care on a Covid patient we just lost. We had watched her slowly die over the past few days. We did everything we could. It’s just me and a nursing colleague in the room.

It’s a grim affair. We wrap the patient’s body securely, stroking her brow and wishing her well on her next journey. My colleague removes her jewelry carefully; we know her daughter will want it. I have to collect her belongings because security isn’t allowed to come into the room. It moves me to see her wallet, her planner, her toiletries. Only a week ago she was a person with a future, with plans, with cherry-flavored lip balm.

More at link...

I am one of the many thousands of nurses who work in intensive care units in New York. We are not handmaidens or angels. We are professionals in our own right. We turn treatment plans into action. We question when things don’t make sense or aren’t going to work. We find solutions that work for our patients. Nurses assess and observe, question and console. We stand between the patient and the enemy. We are the front line.
We arrive at work and are both assigned to the Covid I.C.U. We are always here now. This is the first Covid I.C.U. opened in our hospital. We feel a sense of ownership.

We have a quick huddle to confer about patients: who’s the sickest, who’s about to “crash,” whose family has been calling and needs an update. We assess what supplies are low. We don N95 masks. We wear them all day now.

I don’t have a specific patient assignment yet. I’m the “float” nurse, doing a range of things. My first task is to help with post-mortem care on a Covid patient we just lost. We had watched her slowly die over the past few days. We did everything we could. It’s just me and a nursing colleague in the room.

It’s a grim affair. We wrap the patient’s body securely, stroking her brow and wishing her well on her next journey. My colleague removes her jewelry carefully; we know her daughter will want it. I have to collect her belongings because security isn’t allowed to come into the room. It moves me to see her wallet, her planner, her toiletries. Only a week ago she was a person with a future, with plans, with cherry-flavored lip balm.

More at link...

This broke my heart to read. Particularly this sentence, about a patient who died, ‘only a week ago she was a person with a future, with plans, with a cherry-flavoured lip balm...’

More at link...
This is reality. This could be any of us. Anyday. Anytime. At any moment. This is reality - This will be all of us. Someday. I will pray someone as compassionate as she will attend to my death. It will provide great comfort to those I leave behind.

Last edited:
This is reality. This could be any of us. Anyday. Anytime. At any moment. This is reality - This will be all of us. Someday. I will pray someone as compassionate as her will attend to my death. It will provide great comfort to those I leave behind.

Yes, it will be all of us someday. As surely as man is born, he will die. It's really what you do with the time in the middle, something all of us need to think about. Maybe it took this virus to bring this fact home to us. Praise the Lord.

What you have provided is very valuable, but the article is just a political rant, imo. I am really eager to hear more and more about the EIDD-2801 because of its main finding--specifically targetted delivery to reduce the severe inflammation to the lungs. I am also reading much about the research that is identifying this to be a Hemoglobin issue first, and the destruction of the lungs second... Thus the EIDD-2801 just seems really important.
No one denies that the hydroxychloroquine may not have some successes, as well as major contraindication with heart issues... BUT I just hope the Feds don't throw all their eggs in the one basket ...(sorry for the Easter connection), because we need to hear of multiple possibilities, and DEFINITELY antibodies and vaccines. THAT will be the real win.

I've only seen the self uploaded/non-peer reviewed/non published article that was posted on this thread https://chemrxiv.org/articles/COVID...ding_to_Porphyrin/11938173/files/21961434.pdf . Can you share others that you have followed which butresses this as I have been searching Google Scholar and found none, and my alerts are coming up with nothing also on this. I would like to read as ARDs seems to be primary from what I've seen, vs heme issue. TIA

Last edited:
Opinion | These Coronavirus Exposures Might Be the Most Dangerous

The importance of viral dose is being overlooked in discussions of the coronavirus. As with any other poison, viruses are usually more dangerous in larger amounts. Small initial exposures tend to lead to mild or asymptomatic infections, while larger doses can be lethal.

From a policy perspective, we need to consider that not all exposures to the coronavirus may be the same. Stepping into an office building that once had someone with the coronavirus in it is not as dangerous as sitting next to that infected person for an hourlong train commute.

Both small and large amounts of virus can replicate within our cells and cause severe disease in vulnerable individuals such as the immunocompromised. In healthy people, however, immune systems respond as soon as they sense a virus growing inside. Recovery depends on which wins the race: viral spread or immune activation.

Humans also exhibit sensitivity to viral dose. Volunteers have allowed themselves to be exposed to low or high doses of relatively benign viruses causing colds or diarrhea. Those receiving the low doses have rarely developed visible signs of infection, while high doses have typically led to infections and more severe symptoms.

Low-dose infections can even engender immunity, protecting against high-dose exposures in the future. Before the invention of vaccines, doctors often intentionally infected healthy individuals with fluid from smallpox pustules. The resulting low-dose infections were unpleasant but generally survivable, and they prevented worse incidents of disease when those individuals were later exposed to smallpox in uncontrolled amounts.

Despite the evidence for the importance of viral dose, many of the epidemiological models being used to inform policy during this pandemic ignore it. This is a mistake.

This worth a read. Intentional exposure to very low doses of viruses lead to mild or asymptomatic infections. Intentional exposure works like a vaccine, although at a higher risk.

We live in a dangerous time. The coronavirus is projected to infect 60% of the American population, unless checked. Checking the virus has historic economic cost as we have seen, and the American government is unlikely to replay these unprecendented actions, IMO. The virus will be back in the fall. Maybe there will be an effective treatment by then, maybe not.

Once we get past this monthlong outbreak, should younger, healthy, working Americans be intentionally be exposed in this way, followed by a 14 day quarantine. Get them back to work, get the economy going, and increase the herd immunity. Would a young bus driver prefer a controlled dose, quarantine, and future immunity; or a random and potentially high virus dose of what they encounter from passengers?

In Massachusetts, 95% of deaths are those over 60. Deaths under 60 are typically accompanied by pre-existing conditions (note I realize MA numbers don't reflect numbers in poorer communities for many reasons; I'm noting the only age/death numbers I can find in the U.S). Despite media efforts of playing every story of a young person's CV death in a country of 330 million, this virus primarily attacks weakened immune systems, which increase in numbers greatly with age.

I hope more study is done on this over the next few months, to define risk and reward for this approach.

NYT has kept up their paywall... so cannot read. If article is not too too long could you post? Or, in your research on this more specific topic, if you see it discussed somewhere else, please attach here. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie