Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fauci says antibody tests will be available in the US within "a week or so"

Top infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci says antibody tests, which show who has already been infected with the coronavirus, will be available soon.

“Within a period of a week or so, we're going to have a rather large number of tests that are available,” Fauci told CNN’s Alisyn Camerota.

[…]

Fauci: There might be "merit" to the idea of coronavirus immunity certificates

Dr. Anthony Fauci said Friday on CNN's "New Day" the idea of Americans carrying certificates of immunity to prove they have tested positive for the antibodies to the coronavirus might "have some merit under certain circumstances."

Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told CNN's Alisyn Camerota immunity certificates are being discussed.

[…]

Fauci: We're seeing "some favorable signs" that the curve is flattening

[…]

"What we're seeing right now are some favorable signs as I've discussed with you a few times on this show," Fauci explained. “It's looking like that in many cases, particularly in New York. We're starting to see a flattening and a turning around."

Fauci added that prior to re-opening the country, he would like to see a "clear indication" that reported cases are going down.

"One thing you don't want to do is you don't want to get out there prematurely and then wind up — you're back in the same situation," Fauci told CNN's Alisyn Camerota. "We're looking for the kinds of things that would indicate that we can go forward in a gradual way to essentially reopen the country to a more normal way."

Coronavirus pandemic: Live updates - CNN

@Rotten apple , you are invaluable as a teacher!!! Instead of people complaining about getting their school tax money back, they should be 1000% grateful that their kids WILL one day be able to go back to caring and dedicated professionals. I home school my daughter, but have the UTMOST respect for teachers, many of you are working extra hard at this time: preparing packets and helping with school lunches, still having meetings with your colleagues and administrators, and a million other tasks while trying to educate your own kids at home. Pay no attention to those that do not appreciate you--they are simply ignorant.
Our governor closed PA schools for the rest of the year today because the number of positive cases continues to grow. All school will happen virtually or with paper packets sent home weekly. My husband and I are both teachers with our own own school age kids at home. People have been posting all over SM about how oh, do we get our school taxes back now that school isn’t happening, and oh, teachers just sitting home getting paid for nothing...it’s making me so upset how people can’t see the reality and seriousness of this virus!! That and why can’t people just be freaking nice during this terrible situation- it’s not easy for ANYONE! People are dying, and while the percentage is relatively low, since when did it become OK to consider yourself so high and mighty that your life is more important than anyone else? That humans are expendable? It’s sickening how much inhumanity can be seen. I’m SO VERY GRATEFUL for all the people on the frontlines doing their jobs and equally thankful for all the people staying home!!

I believe I have a bizarre fixation on the Coronavirus Cases Update. Today is especially drawing me in, knowing that the world will likely see its 100,000th documented death from Covid, and another population of people will be infected with many in that number who will suffer tragic ends. It's mind numbing. I can't even begin to imagine the sorrow in those numbers.

One thing is certain, on this holy weekend, people all around the world will be praying for mercy, and my voice will be among the throng.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 1,622,049 Cases and 97,192 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer
I agree. I believe UK will hit 10k deaths and flags will go at half mast sometime this weekend. Praying too that it is slowing.

Coronavirus: Another 866 die with COVID-19 in England - bringing total to 8,114

Another 866 patients have died in England after contracting coronavirus - bringing the total to 8,114.

The figures were released by the NHS England.

Patients were aged between 27 and 100 years old - and 56 of them had no known underlying health condition.

I agree. I believe UK will hit 10k deaths and flags will go at half mast sometime this weekend. Praying too that it is slowing.

Sadly it looks like it's heading that way :(

Kentucky:
5 people confirmed dead as COVID-19 outbreak hits Louisville retirement community

“LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Mayor Greg Fischer said Thursday that 29 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed inside Treyton Oaks, a retirement community on West Oak Street in Louisville.

Fischer said 21 residents of the facility and eight staff members are among the positive cases. Five of those residents have died from the coronavirus, according to a news release from the facility.

—-

Beshear confirms 134 new coronavirus cases, 6 more deaths

“ Gov. Andy Beshear announced Thursday that Kentucky’s coronavirus case total now stands at 1,452.

Beshear said 134 new cases have been diagnosed since his daily update from Wednesday.”

—-

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear, coronavirus meme hero, sparks hilarity online

—-

Kentucky woman too sick for nursing home, not sick enough for hospital dies of COVID-19

“On April 4, Jean Massamore, formerly of Dawson Springs, lost her battle to the disease.

BBM:

She died at Teague's Paris, Tennessee, home, her final stop after a series of moves, including a two-night hotel stay. The family's plight illustrates an increasingly urgent problem barreling down on assisted living facilities across Kentucky: what to do with ill residents not sick enough to remain in a hospital, but too much of a risk to live among other vulnerable elders.”
Such a sad story....... such despair at the end of her life.... it is so hard to blame all the others in the turmoil...but still...so unfair.

I'm a PA resident. One aspect regarding school taxes that you probably have not considered is how fair is this tax liability to retirees and those over the age of 62? My husband owns a small business with two locations. He's 71 years of age. We pay school taxes in the town where we reside, and he pays school taxes in both townships where his businesses are located. Is this really fair to be taxed thrice? I personally feel that school taxes should be eliminated for folks over the age of 62. Why are we still obligated to pay school taxes at our age? Isn't 40 years of paying school taxes enough? MOO
I have to pay school taxes too and my son is grown (30 already, goodness). I have 3 grand children, one who started school this past year. He goes to school in another district. I try to look at it like I'm paying taxes in this district for local children but others in his district are paying for his school. I hope that made sense.

"Coronavirus updates: Global fatalities near 100,000 - BBC News" Coronavirus updates: Global fatalities near 100,000 - BBC News

Summary
  1. Fatalities globally near 100,000, according to Johns Hopkins University
  2. A further 866 deaths reported in England; 48 in Scotland; 29 in Wales; 10 in N Ireland
  3. US expels thousands of migrants under powers to stop coronavirus spread
  4. Christians marking Good Friday are urged to stay at home
  5. UK PM Boris Johnson is out of intensive care. His father told the BBC he must rest
  6. UK Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick defends his travel moves amid reports he flouted rules
  7. South Korea's Daegu, the centre of the country’s outbreak, reports no new cases for the first time.

UK fatalities from CV19 are now at 8,931.

From the same link above is this info from Belgium. I have been watching the Belgian, Dutch and German figures as they all have increased recently.

Belgium sees highest daily death toll so far

Belgium has reported 496 new deaths in the past 24 hours, its deadliest day so far, bringing the number of fatalities to 3,019.

The number appears very high for a country of 11.4 million, however around half the number of fatalities have been recorded outside Belgium's hospitals, largely in care homes, and many of the latest deaths happened last month.

Geert Meyfroidt, president of the Belgian Society of Intensive Care Medicine, has told the BBC that the number is so high because Belgium counts all suspected cases of Covid-19 as well as confirmed cases. "In most other countries, they only count those who have tested positive."

He also said the number of deaths in care homes was barely higher than normal.

The situation in Belgium's hospitals and intensive care units appears to have stabilised, according to local health authorities.

Last edited:
Defense secretary says another 300 military personnel will deploy to help NYC hospitals

f919aeb5-3fb9-4fef-9399-fdc1c2dd3456.jpg

Secretary of Defense Mark Esper speaks at a press conference at the Pentagon on March 5.

[...]

Appearing on CBS “This Morning” Esper said, "we've deployed to 11 New York City hospitals 350 doctors, nurses and respiratory therapists and today we will be deploying another 300 to help those local hospital workers who've been struggling mightily to keep on top of the (coronavirus) cases help them out provide them some additional relief from the Department of Defense".

[...]

The deployment of military medical personnel directly to hospitals represents a recent change in tactics for the Defense Department. At first the military wanted to transfer equipment to the civilians and stay largely out of the way. Then it agreed to do overflow and non-coronavirus patients, then coronavirus overflow and now hundreds of military doctors are surging on the frontlines in New York-area hospitals.

Coronavirus pandemic: Live updates - CNN

I have to pay school taxes too and my son is grown (30 already, goodness). I have 3 grand children, one who started school this past year. He goes to school in another district. I try to look at it like I'm paying taxes in this district for local children but others in his district are paying for his school. I hope that made sense.
I understand what you're saying re the jurisdictions - I get that, but my larger concern is why is this liability still placed on senior citizens? Is this really fair? I don't think it is. MOO

One thing I worry about as the economy gets up and running again is age discrimination against older employees and older job applicants. That already exists, but I think there are going to be ready excuses to discriminate even more now.

:(

jmo

I'm a PA resident. One aspect regarding school taxes that you probably have not considered is how fair is this tax liability to retirees and those over the age of 62? My husband owns a small business with two locations. He's 71 years of age. We pay school taxes in the town where we reside, and he pays school taxes in both townships where his businesses are located. Is this really fair to be taxed thrice? I personally feel that school taxes should be eliminated for folks over the age of 62. Why are we still obligated to pay school taxes at our age? Isn't 40 years of paying school taxes enough? MOO

I live on a 300 acre family farm that spans 2 different school districts, so I do understand the frustration of having to pay outrageously high taxes. There are 4 homes on the entire property, yet we still have to pay based on the size of the farm. So while I understand your frustration, I have considered many sides of the argument and I remain firm in my opinion. I just feel that people are thinking we teachers are now on extended paid vacation, when in reality we’re doing way more work scrambling around trying to salvage the school year for our students.

One thing I worry about as the economy gets up and running again is age discrimination against older employees and older job applicants. That already exists, but I think there are going to be ready excuses to discriminate even more now.

:(

jmo
Precisely why I retired much earlier than I had expected. I'm still plenty vibrant to hold down a job, but.... yeah. :mad:

"Coronavirus: Passport Office staff told to go back to work - BBC News" Passport Office staff told to go back to work

Staff working for Her Majesty's Passport Office believe their lives are being put at risk because of demands that they return to work.

Many have been asked to go back next week, despite the ongoing coronavirus crisis, the BBC has learned.

On Tuesday, staff were told by a Home Office scientific adviser 80% of people would get Covid-19 in the end and "we can't hide away from it forever".

The Home Office said it was maintaining social distancing at passport offices.

When and how to get staff back into the workplace are questions employers will increasingly have to grapple with across the UK.

Her Majesty's Passport Office (HMPO) has centres in Belfast, Durham, Glasgow, Liverpool, London, Newport and Peterborough.

The Tuesday conference call was addressed by Myrtle Lloyd, the HMPO chief operating officer.

More at link

(A lot of them don't want to go back basically)

Precisely why I retired much earlier than I had expected. I'm still plenty vibrant to hold down a job, but.... yeah. :mad:

This is an issue for a lot of seniors who had part time supplemental jobs to have a better quality of life on Social Security. My Mom now has to choose between going back to work, and risking full exposure or stay home, under a rock for the rest of her life.

That is, if there are even jobs to go back to. No place in the United States has probably been hit harder than Las Vegas by this shut down. Their entire economy is based on tourism. Who knows what that is going to look like in the immediate future?

Seems like my whole life I've paid more taxes than the generic family with 3 (or 10) kids next door, even though making a similar income. So I'm used to being discriminated against. In favor of sending their kids to school for the well being of all of us.
It does pzzz me off though, that it's not recognized when leaders start their bombastic, purposely ignorant, rants against "people who don't pay taxes". When it was all the legislatures that formed this system in the first place, where so few of us pay income taxes.
In Alaska seniors have a huge exemption on property taxes if they live on their own property, permanently.
Yes I know I'm discussing more than one kind of tax.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member