GUILTY NC - Kathleen Peterson, 48, found dead in her Durham home, 9 Dec 2001

I don't think it was ever suspected that a team of owls hit her, just one....

Well, I've done a bit of research, and found that there are a few different species of owl's down in NC.

From what I have read, these guys can be pretty mean too. So I do think you may be on to something.

Attachments

• 20190210_223345.jpg
    20190210_223345.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 1
Well, I've done a bit of research, and found that there are a few different species of owl's down in NC.

From what I have read, these guys can be pretty mean too. So I do think you may be on to something.
Yep me too. I am on the fence still, but also i don't want to discount the owl theory altogether. Those talons are pretty sharp, and can leave these style of wounds... & if indeed feathers have been found, then it's possible?

I will never ever believe this ridiculous 'owl' theory. When you examine both dead women's autopsy photo, the wounds are exactly the same.
They are not exactly the same. can u show us that they are? thanks

from the maker of the film

"The first time I heard about the owl theory, I really laughed. But when I started looking at it and I met with Larry Pollard … It might be the more plausible explanation. How can you explain all the cuts and lacerations and the absence of fractures? When you start thinking about the owl theory, and the kind of injuries she had, you start thinking maybe there is something there.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...eries-kathleen-peterson-michael-a8428431.html

Just saw on my local MSM, WRAL-TV News, (NBC), that Michael Peterson is to be on "Dr. Phil" tomorrow, Monday, 4/22/2019. I don't usually watch that show, but I see it will be airing at 3:00pm EDT tomorrow on the NBC network -- That's what time it is slated in my area. It may be different in other areas of the U.S.

He's a cre-e-e-e-epy guy, but I'm gonna try to watch it. <shiver>

Last edited:
I just finished watching The Staircase documentary on Netflix about this case. I knew nothing about it until watching the documentary. What stands out to me is this: MP's story is that he and his wife had been sitting out in their pool area after dinner for a while, lounging by the pool drinking wine. Then, KP went inside to go to bed but MP stayed out by the pool for a while longer. We all have seen the photos of KP lying at the bottom of that staircase...tell me, if any of you had walked into the house and found your loved one lying there like that with all of that blood everywhere, what would be your FIRST THOUGHT? Especially seeing that you had both been outside the house for an extended period of time, and likely had not locked the door when out by the pool? Wouldn't your first thought be, someone sneaked into the house and attacked her/him? Maybe someone robbing the house and KP scared the burglar who then attacked her? Why would you automatically assume a fall down the stairs, an "accident", when coming upon such a bloody scene? He makes sure to call it an accident and a fall down the stairs in his 911 call. He didn't appear concerned for his own safety at all! Which to me is strange.

I have looked at those images over and over and just can't believe that he wouldn't have suspected that she had been attacked by someone. I really have strong suspicions that he did indeed kill her, though a motive isn't clear to me. But then again, sometimes killers kill just because they want to. I liked the documentary but thought that it was a little drawn out, I think it could have been compressed into fewer episodes. I feel bad for his kids, he is very lucky to have such a devoted family.

No doubt in my mind that he killed her, and that he also killed the woman he knew the same way. She, too, had a "fall down the stairs."
Two-time killer, IMO.

Yes, what are the odds that two women who were both last seen by him would end up with almost identical injuries and found under almost identical circumstances.

What did you think about the son finding the fireplace blow poke in the garage just as the defense was wrapping up? To me, obviously MP knew that the pros. was winning over the jury and he was running out of time, he thought that if the blow poke was accounted for that it might help him. Come on, how could nobody have noticed it leaning against the wall out in the open like that for all that time? Someone put it there after the fact, probably him, though I do wonder if he had help cleaning it, staging it, etc.

Yes, what are the odds that two women who were both last seen by him would end up with almost identical injuries and found under almost identical circumstances.

What did you think about the son finding the fireplace blow poke in the garage just as the defense was wrapping up? To me, obviously MP knew that the pros. was winning over the jury and he was running out of time, he thought that if the blow poke was accounted for that it might help him. Come on, how could nobody have noticed it leaning against the wall out in the open like that for all that time? Someone put it there after the fact, probably him, though I do wonder if he had help cleaning it, staging it, etc.
Its a compelling case, isnt it? The series was groundbreaking at the time. That real time access etc. Superb. It may seem a little pedestrian by more contemporary standards but it remains compelling.

I just recall my jaw dropping open a couple of times. The online other life and the German case.

I still wouldnt like to have to place my life on the line and say for sure either way.

I find him quite convincing most of the time but there's a hell of a lot of stuff that never sat easy. The thing I recall most in his corner is the fact that no death by beating or blunt force etc had been recorded without cranial fracture or damage to brain iirc?but...

The coincidence of the German death and non disclosure of it is hard to ignore for me.

The Deevers input just muddies the facts.

Genuinely intrigued still.

ETA: I dont think the Herald Sun column articles criticising local LE and D.A (the one who prosecuted!) can be totally ignored either

Last edited:

I can't remember all of the blow poke testimony, etc., but it was said that the found blow poke looked new whereas the other one had apparently been around the house a long time. I do remember that it was found in a place that even a child could find... so...
No doubt IMO that he was a double-murderer, and like so many, he thought he could fool 'em all -- and he nearly did. At least he did serve 8 itty-bitty years. Grrrrr.

My own father fell to his death and there was blood but nothing like the blood at this crime scene, he fell from 20ft head first and died of a brain injury and bleeding on the brain, he had broken facial bones a fractured skull and shattered spine, internal bleeding and internal injuries. I will just never believe that the amount of blood at kathleens death was caused by an accident. And that Michael never heard a bang from a fall or scream for help if she was attacked by a mysterious owl. I think he did it but he had a good defense and the evidence just wasn’t there for a conviction to hold. He got lucky imo

First let me say I am so sorry to heat about the death of your father, @Blondiexoxo.

I totally agree about the blood. When I saw a picture of the staircase, from top to bottom, and all that blood, I knew immediately that something was wrong. A fall? Nope, not buying it. That poor, sweet woman. IMO, Peterson just beat her to death, and I think it was in anger, i.e., he just couldn't stop. A lot of malice was in those injuries to her, IMO. SMH.
And you make a good point about his not hearing screams, or perhaps a "Help me, help me," plea from her. Nothing? Nope, not buying it for a second.

What a wild tale, but people panic when the LEOs get those knowing looks on their faces. I'm sure they looked that way when they saw her and the too-bloody staircase.
Can you imagine Peterson's surprise and panic when they started asking him questions which sounded like they were skeptical of his story?!

Just for the helluvit, here's this:

Local News
Site of notorious Durham murder up for sale
Posted July 8, 2020 4:56 p.m. EDT
Durham, N.C. — The Durham mansion where Mike Peterson killed his wife almost two decades ago, spawning a lengthy and costly trial, years of appeals, a plea deal and a popular Netflix series, went up for sale this week.
The Redfin online real estate site listed the 9,400-square-foot home at 1810 Cedar St. for $1.9 million on Tuesday.
[...]
Redfin's only mention of the home's history is a note that it was "featured in [a] Netflix documentary as well as a major feature film." The site describes the home as being built in 1940, with five bedrooms, six bathrooms, a swimming pool, a game room, a library and two gated entrances on 3.4 acres.
---------------------------​
More here:
Site of notorious Durham murder up for sale :: WRAL.com

Just for the helluvit, here's this:

Local News
Site of notorious Durham murder up for sale
Posted July 8, 2020 4:56 p.m. EDT
Durham, N.C. — The Durham mansion where Mike Peterson killed his wife almost two decades ago, spawning a lengthy and costly trial, years of appeals, a plea deal and a popular Netflix series, went up for sale this week.
The Redfin online real estate site listed the 9,400-square-foot home at 1810 Cedar St. for $1.9 million on Tuesday.
[...]
Redfin's only mention of the home's history is a note that it was "featured in [a] Netflix documentary as well as a major feature film." The site describes the home as being built in 1940, with five bedrooms, six bathrooms, a swimming pool, a game room, a library and two gated entrances on 3.4 acres.
---------------------------​
More here:
I wonder who will get the money from the sale?

Hi, @TDoc72 ! -- The article I cited above states:
-----------------------
The home was sold in 2004 to a Durham couple who renovated it and sold it four years later to Biond Fury, a self-described metaphysician, music and film producer and publisher from New York. Redfin says the home has recently been renovated again.
----------------------

----------------------
So it appears that Peterson sold the home in 2004, and then it was sold again four years later, so I'm assuming that Peterson is well away from any monetary gain when this house is sold again. Some house, I'll say, but still creepy to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back