Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is quote on some of the criteria for the PPP loan program that Congress passed -

"When Congress created the $349 billion PPP program, loans were intended only for businesses with fewer than 500 employees, but restaurants and other hospitality groups would also be able to apply if no more than 500 workers were employed at any single location. The loans are also eligible for forgiveness if 75 percent of the money goes toward keeping workers employed and maintaining salary levels, among other criteria."

From article at
Petition urges Ruth's Chris Steak House to return $20 million in coronavirus relief loans

Haven't heard yet from my Cardiologist about my yearly visit coming up in May. Electrocardiogram and then later EKG during office visit. Don't see doing that via telemed.

Thinking about my June medical appointments. Lab work followed a week later with office visit. The group I go to is doing telemed but they can't take weight, temperature, listen to heart and lungs. Will they automatically test me for antibodies and want to vaccinate me if available? Will I want the vaccination this close to development?

I can't keep up at all, but has this already been posted ? There's a lot in this article, some of which I was already familiar with. But what I quoted below I don't recall hearing before.

How China muzzled its Bat Woman: Beijing authorities hushed up the findings of a scientist who unlocked the genetic make-up of the coronavirus within days of the outbreak - which is vital for tests and vaccines

The revelation that the Wuhan Institute was experimenting on bats from the area already known to be the source of COVID-19 - and doing so with American money - has sparked further fears that the lab, and not the market, is the original outbreak source.

Lawmakers and pressure groups were quick to hit out at U.S. funding being provided for the 'dangerous and cruel animal experiments at the Wuhan Institute'.

US Congressman Matt Gaetz said: 'I'm disgusted to learn that for years the US government has been funding dangerous and cruel animal experiments at the Wuhan Institute, which may have contributed to the global spread of coronavirus, and research at other labs in China that have virtually no oversight from US authorities.'

On Saturday, Anthony Bellotti, president of the US pressure group White Coat Waste, condemned his government for spending tax dollars in China, adding: 'Animals infected with viruses or otherwise sickened and abused in Chinese labs reportedly may be sold to wet markets for consumption once experiments are done.'

Last edited:
Really? Where did this guy get his information?
The claim: “Health care workers go through a misting tent going into the hospital and it kills the coronavirus completely dead not only right then, but any time in the next 14 days that the virus touches anything that’s been sprayed it is killed.” — U.S. Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Tyler.

Riiiggghhht, that's why no healthcare workers have gotten the virus... /sarcasm

I just caught some of the Let's Go Crazy Grammy Salute to Prince on tv. I was shocked to see all those people close to each other breathing the same air! I looked it up, and it was taped on January 28, 2020. Oh please, let us have those times again-- all in the same room not wearing masks. Go away ugly Covid-19!

This reminds me -- I listen to audiobooks while I work in the garden and do other chores. And every time there is a scene in a book where people are crowded together, at a party or in a restaurant etc, I find myself thinking "how inconsiderate!" "how inappropriate!" "don't they care about not spreading the virus?"

before remembering the book was written years ago...

I feel the very same feelings---I just don't want take-out. And yet I truly want to support the locals. We have so many restaurants in our area, but only small restaurants in our town, no chains.

I am in a couple of groups where we collect supplies/donations etc for the more needy in our area, and we meet in a local church yard to collect and assemble.

So yesterday, I asked some of my friends "Who has really good takeout?" and "do we know anyone who really needs more business right now?" just to see if it would encourage my take-out appetite. It didn't. I'll try again later though.

I solved this for myself by buying myself a gift certificate for each restaurant I want to support.

I have gotten take-out from one of those places twice so far, and I didn't even bother to put it on the gift certificate but instead just paid normally. I will hopefully use the GC later, once they are back to business as usual.

DrTony always get his vaccines. He has to or he wouldn’t be able to do locum work anywhere. That means TB testing, flu shot, Hep shot, etc. I rarely get sick but our internist suggested, rather firmly but kindly, that with my underlying condition, Ménière’s—it would be a very good idea. So I will do flu & whatever.
In January of this year I got something for the first time in over 20 years. Horrible sore throat, like I had crushed gravel in it. Could only have lukewarm broth & water. Coughing, sneezing hideous pain. Low fever. DrTony phones in an anti-biotic. Nothing happens. Then laryngitis. Went through second course. Still nothing. He said then it’s a virus, it will go away in 7 days or a week, his old joke. So yes, I will get both flu & should a vaccine for this harrowing be available, I shall get it as well. I’m old have no grandchildren & I don’t want to find myself on a ventilator.

2 Californians died of coronavirus weeks before previously known 1st US death - CNN

I'm not sure if you have seen this or not. IMO the more that comes out, you very well could have had the Coronavirus already. And not known it. JMO

Edited by me! ;)

What Is The Real Death Rate Of Covid-19? Antibody Testing Studies Suggest Mortality Rate Is Up To 70 Times Lower Than Official Figures

Official figures show 13% of diagnosed coronavirus patients in the UK die

This is skewed because Britain is only testing the most severely ill patients

Scientists say only way to work out actual rate is through antibody testing

Survey in Los Angeles suggested illness may only kill around 0.18 per cent

Similar death rate found in antibody study in Helsinki, Finland, and Germany

"Coronavirus may kill 70 times fewer patients than official UK death figures suggest, studies have shown.

Britain has one of the worst COVID-19 testing records, meaning a frightening 13 per cent of diagnosed patients in the UK die from the disease.

But this is considerably higher than the real death rate because it does not take into account the thousands of infected people who had mild symptoms.

Scientists say the only way to work out the actual rate is to test blood samples of the population for antibodies, which the immune system makes once infected.

While the accuracy of these tests is up for debate, experts agree they give a much clearer indication of who has previously been infected - and are considered key to easing the draconian lockdowns imposed across the world.

Results of one antibody survey in Los Angeles suggested the illness may only kill around 0.18 per cent of coronavirus patients.

It was based on the assumption that the true number of infections in LA was 330,000, far higher than the 7,994 that official figures showed when the study was published on April 20."

2 Californians died of coronavirus weeks before previously known 1st US death - CNN

I'm not sure if you have seen this or not. IMO the more that comes out, you very well could have had the Coronavirus already. And not known it. JMO

Edited by me! ;)
Thanks, that’s what DrTony, in retrospect, believes as well. I tried calling around for anti-body testing & I would have to go to NOLA for that. That’s a 3 hour drive of dizziness & anxiety. Hopefully it will get on the other side of the Mississippi.

Texas lt. governor on reopening state: 'There are more important things than living'

Views in the above cited article do not reflect the views of this poster.

What a bizarre thing to say.

Keeping some things closed (regular doctors' offices) will lead to more death, so I can see making an argument to open up enough for smaller businesses to function. I sure wouldn't want to go sit in a doctor's waiting room for a non-essential appointment, though.

In the less affected counties of California, most municipalities are requiring businesses that want to reopen to obey new rules and submit plans on how they're going to do that (fewer tables in restaurants, reduction in staff on site at the same time, fewer chairs in use in salons, proof of new cleaning regimes, etc)

Is anyone else following the Vegas story? Because it illustrates just how long CoVid is going to be with us.

Do I believe there will be a vaccine tomorrow in UK?

No, not at all. If they rush it through testing (how will they do that??), I will not want to get it.

Are they going to administer it to, say, their entire military and then wait a while to see what the effects are? What if it only works for six months? What if it causes severe consequences for people with certain conditions? If they test on the military, that'll be mostly younger people - whole different immunity ballgame for them.

Before it's approved for use in the US, it will have to go through a lot more testing. I'm gonna wait at least a year.

@Ragnarok yesterday my husband had several medical appointments. The patients are coming in staggered, no one waits in the waiting room. You check in, and are immediately whisked to an exam room. Everyone was wearing a mask, and gloves. Patients are usually wearing masks at check in, if they don't have one, they are given one to wear.

Very efficient. And honestly, worked much better than the previous model of waiting for 30 minutes or so in the waiting room.

You do understand that at least here in California, it will be mandated?
My employees would wear Easter bunny suits if it meant they could get back to earning a living.

I'm the opposite. I can't imagine having dinner in a restaurant where the servers are wearing masks and gloves. I absolutely wouldn't do that and hope that's not the plan :eek:

Coronavirus: Daily deaths in UK has 'flattened' but there will be no 'sudden fall away' in cases

The number of daily deaths of people with coronavirus in the UK has "flattened off", but there will be no "sudden fall away" in cases, England's chief medical officer has warned.

Speaking at the daily government coronavirus briefing on Wednesday, Chris Whitty said the downward movement in deaths in other countries has been fairly slow and the UK should expect the same.

"Even in those countries which started their epidemic curve earlier than the UK, and which are still ahead, the downward slope from the point where we change is a relatively slow one," he said.

"We should anticipate the same situation in the UK. We should not expect this to be a sudden fall away of cases."

Mr Whitty explained that an exit from the lockdown and social distance measures imposed since the outbreak required a "highly effective vaccine and/or highly effective drugs".

The chance of having both by the end of this year was "incredibly small" and until then the UK would need to rely on disruptive social distancing measures, he said.

He added: "This disease will not be eradicated, it will not disappear."

Edited by me! ;)

The earliest validated case is now on February 6, from Santa Clara County, CA. They figure that patient got it in the last week of January. They are awaiting CDC testing results on an earlier death (from the last week in January). This makes these deaths earlier than the one in Washington.

One big difference between Washington and Santa Clara is that when CV arrived in Washington (which has lots of travel back and forth to China), it was transmitted early on to nursing homes via nursing home employees that worked at several places.

On a slightly different note, scientists have in fact found "patient zero" for Washington State, using genetic sequencing and the virus itself, looking at its nearly 30,000 nucleotides, and its variations. There are hundreds of variations, all of them CV-19. The most amazing thing is that the "flavor" found in Seattle was rapidly found all over the US (mostly Washington and the East Coast), as people traveled to Wuhan to visit family or for business, came back to Washington, and then that particular early strain spread elsewhere (it ended up on the Pacific Princess - not necessarily from the Washington Patient 0 or 1).

With so many genetic variations in CoVid-19, and with new varieties still being identified, unless the team at Oxford has all that data, I wouldn't trust their vaccine just yet. That's why other scientists are less optimistic than the British ones. All of this CV-19 genomic data isn't yet verified and published...

@Ragnarok yesterday my husband had several medical appointments. The patients are coming in staggered, no one waits in the waiting room. You check in, and are immediately whisked to an exam room. Everyone was wearing a mask, and gloves. Patients are usually wearing masks at check in, if they don't have one, they are given one to wear.

Very efficient. And honestly, worked much better than the previous model of waiting for 30 minutes or so in the waiting room.
Thankyou @mickey2942 for that info reference husband's medical appointment! Definitely better time use than prior covid-19 era.

I can't keep up at all, but has this already been posted ? There's a lot in this article, some of which I was already familiar with. But what I quoted below I don't recall hearing before.

How China muzzled its Bat Woman: Beijing authorities hushed up the findings of a scientist who unlocked the genetic make-up of the coronavirus within days of the outbreak - which is vital for tests and vaccines
It has been posted before but I don't know if there is any truth in it.

Last edited:
When I go back to eating in restaurants, I would prefer one with servers wearing masks. It would not have to be a hospital type setting, but they could have nicely decorated masks (they can be sterilized and reused several times). I could see a vegetarian restaurant where carrot and radish decorated masks were worn. That would feel much better for me than being aware of too many people breathing on my food. Maybe over time, I would be less nervous about this, but that is probably after a vaccine. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500