CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle and uniform, 23 killed - Portapique, NS *suspect dead*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Said LE was contacting those who the killer knew to protect them and that's where the confusion, likely in the individuals or the media that reported it, took place about there being a list.

LE were simply contacting those who knew the killer.

The witness said to the media that LE said he was "7 or 8 on the list" now I think we can interpret it as LE was saying to the witness YOU are 7 or 8 on OUR list of people to notify and the witness misunderstood. That makes more sense.

Thanks to everyone listening and reporting live on the press conference for those of us who can't! I appreciate it.

Nova Scotia gunman attacked girlfriend on night mass shooting began, RCMP say
“Hudson said his neighbour had been purchasing used police vehicles at auctions, referring to one unmarked vehicle that was spotted behind Wortman’s denture clinic in Dartmouth after the killings. It has since been towed away.

“He picked the best one and brought it up here, had it in his garage and (added) decals to look just right,” Hudson said.

“He was very meticulous on everything he did … He also trained himself on electronics, so he’d know how to hook up the lighting and everything like that for the car.”

The vehicle, a late-model Ford Taurus, was kept in a garage at another property that Wortman owned on a neighbouring street, Hudson said.

He said the information the girlfriend provided to police was crucial to stopping the gunman.

“If it wasn’t for (her) giving that information, it would have been a lot worse,” said Hudson. “They wouldn’t have known to be looking for an RCMP car.”

PC An emergency alert was not sent out Saturday evening as LE felt they had the area well contained and believed the suspect to either be in the area, escaped, or to have committed suicide in one of his buildings.

They suspected him to be dead given it was reported he had 3 LE style vehicles and all 3 were accounted for. 2 were burning at his resident in Portapique and one was discovered by LE at his residence in Halifax.
Didn’t I just read somewhere that a vehicle was seen driving through a field? And how can they say ALL vehicles were accounted for, when he was still driving that mock up on Sunday morning? Did I miss something?

I wonder if the fact that the replica vehicle he ultimately used was unplated also leans toward it being more of an impulse spree rather than pre-planned. While a plate can identify a vehicle if you know what you're looking for, an unplated vehicle looks immediately hinky and unsettling to anybody.

The witness said to the media that LE said he was "7 or 8 on the list" now I think we can interpret it as LE was saying to the witness YOU are 7 or 8 on OUR list of people to notify and the witness misunderstood. That makes more sense.

Thanks to everyone listening and reporting live on the press conference for those of us who can't! I appreciate it.

That's exactly what I was thinking. People sometimes, especially during highly stressful times, hear things a little incorrectly.

That or he heard them properly and the media wanted a dramatic headline. We'll likely never know.

Yes. Said LE was contacting those who the killer knew to protect them and that's where the confusion, likely in the individuals or the media that reported it, took place about there being a list.

LE were simply contacting those who knew the killer.

Thanks.....NS was obviously mistaken when he spoke with the media. That makes much more sense. I'm glad the RCMP are being a little more transparent (seeing as things have leaked and misinformation was rampant)

Didn’t I just read somewhere that a vehicle was seen driving through a field? And how can they say ALL vehicles were accounted for, when he was still driving that mock up on Sunday morning? Did I miss something?

Yes, the gentleman who gave the PC stated a vehicle was seen driving through a field. I don't believe he said who saw it. It could have simply been reported by a witness and not seen by LE. Remember too, it could have been late at night and dark out, one wouldn't see the decals of the mock up cruiser.

A witness might have just assumed it was part of the chaos and reported it afterwards.

It sounds as though he had a fourth vehicle that they didn't know about.

When you say 'can't' is it because it's geoblocked in your area? Or some other techical reason? Just curious - I just assumed it could be streamed from anywhere. I'm sorry for those who missed it - it was interesting and comprehensive. Hopefully it will appear somewhere shortly in a way we can share with you.

They had information that he had three cars - from purchase or licensing records? - and those three they were aware of were accounted for. Two burning in Portapique, and one located at his residence in Halifax. The girlfriend informed them of a 4th uplated vehicle when she spoke to police Sunday morning.

Yes, the gentleman who gave the PC stated a vehicle was seen driving through a field. I don't believe he said who saw it. It could have simply been reported by a witness and not seen by LE. Remember too, it could have been late at night and dark out, one wouldn't see the decals of the mock up cruiser.

A witness might have just assumed it was part of the chaos and reported it afterwards.

It sounds as though he had a fourth vehicle that they didn't know about.
I think perhaps he was driving through the field to get to a property he owned on Orchard Beach Rd where he may have hidden the mock up vehicle in a garage? He may have driven his regular vehicle through the field and switched there?

They had information that he had three cars - from purchase or licensing records? - and those three they were aware of were accounted for. Two burning in Portapique, and one located at his residence in Halifax. The girlfriend informed them of a 4th uplated vehicle when she spoke to police Sunday morning.
You beat me to it :). That makes perfect sense.

I think the other 3 were licensed jmo

I wonder if the fact that the replica vehicle he ultimately used was unplated also leans toward it being more of an impulse spree rather than pre-planned. While a plate can identify a vehicle if you know what you're looking for, an unplated vehicle looks immediately hinky and unsettling to anybody.

Unplated doesn't necessarily mean "physically unplated." Could have had fake/decoy plates so as not to stick out like you said.

LE uses term unplated interchangeably with "unregistered" which means not assigned a valid plate.

If he was building this vehicle in secret, it may very well have been unregistered. That would also explain the discrepancy between the police having accounted for all his police-type vehicles while he was obviously still driving this one around... Many Freeman type folks throw homemade cardboard type plates on their vehicles that look legit from a distance

The forth vehicle, that had been stored in garage in another of his Portapique properties and all decalled up. This is just unbelievably horrific.

Unplated doesn't necessarily mean "physically unplated." Could have had fake/decoy plates so as not to stick out like you said.

LE uses term unplated interchangeably with "unregistered" which means not assigned a valid plate.

If he was building this vehicle in secret, it may very well have been unregistered. That would also explain the discrepancy between the police having accounted for all his police-type vehicles while he was obviously still driving this one around... Many Freeman type folks throw homemade cardboard type plates on their vehicles that look legit from a distance

I'm pretty sure the car was physically unplated in the video where he puts on the reflective vest. But, my eyes aren't 16 anymore. LOL

When you say 'can't' is it because it's geoblocked in your area? Or some other techical reason? Just curious - I just assumed it could be streamed from anywhere. I'm sorry for those who missed it - it was interesting and comprehensive. Hopefully it will appear somewhere shortly in a way we can share with you.

Oh no, I just meant that I personally could not turn on a live video right now because I'm working. I will definitely catch a replay later tonight. Please do post a recorded video when it becomes available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07