Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
World Health Organization (WHO) on Twitter
"The #COVID19 pandemic is an unprecedented global crisis that has been met with an unprecedented global response. Research and development have played a central role"-@DrTedros
9:04 AM - 24 Apr 2020

"Since January, WHO has been working with thousands of researchers all over the world to accelerate and track vaccine development - from developing animal models to clinical trial designs, and everything in between"-@DrTedros #COVID19

"We’ve also developed diagnostics that are being used all over the world; And we’re coordinating a global trial on the safety and efficacy of four therapeutics against #COVID19. The world needs these tools, and it needs them fast"-@DrTedros

"Past experience has taught us that even when tools are available, they have been not been equally available to all. We cannot allow that to happen"-@DrTedros #COVID19
9:05 AM - 24 Apr 2020

"Today, WHO is proud to be uniting with many partners to launch the Access to #COVID19 Tools Accelerator, or the ACT Accelerator"-@DrTedros

"This is a landmark collaboration to accelerate the development, production and equitable distribution of vaccines, diagnostics, and therapeutics for #COVID19"-@DrTedros

"Our shared commitment is to ensure all people have access to all the tools to defeat #COVID19. The ACT Accelerator brings together the combined power of several organizations to work with speed and scale"-@DrTedros
9:06 AM - 24 Apr 2020

"Each of us are doing great work, but we cannot work alone. We’re coming together to work in new ways to identify challenges and solutions together"-@DrTedros #COVID19
9:06 AM - 24 Apr 2020

"I am especially grateful to President @EmmanuelMacron, President @vonderleyen and Bill and Melinda Gates for their leadership and partnership in co-hosting the ACT Accelerator. We’re also grateful for the support of many world leaders, who you will hear from today"-@DrTedros
9:07 AM - 24 Apr 2020

"And I would especially like to thank Sir Andrew Witty and Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala for agreeing to act as Special Envoys for the ACT Accelerator. We are facing a common threat, which we can only defeat with a common approach"-@DrTedros #COVID19
9:08 AM - 24 Apr 2020

A Global Collaboration to Accelerate the Development, Production and Equitable Access to New #COVID19 diagnostics, therapeutics and vaccines: Access to COVID-19 Tools (act) Accelerator
Access to COVID-19 Tools (act) Accelerator
9:22 AM - 24 Apr 2020

Opening remarks by @DrTedros
1f447.png

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the launch of the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator
9:25 AM - 24 Apr 2020

Last edited:
From your post

"Nearly half of those that have died in Canada from Covid-19 are linked to residents in long-term care centers throughout the country. In Ontario, where there are well over 100 senior residences with outbreaks, more than 70% of those who have died of the virus are residents of care centers.

“We’re seeing terrible tragedies in long-term care facilities across the country, this is unacceptable. If you’re angry, frustrated, scared, you’re right to feel this way, we can do better, we need to do better. Because we are failing our parents, our grandparents, our elders, the greatest generation who built this country,” Trudeau said.

[...]

So Canada is similar to Europe also? Will it be the same for the US deaths too?

Possibly half the deaths in care homes?

This is terrible news and could have been prevented with PPE surely?

It's a travesty. I don't know that PPE alone could have prevented it. I am looking forward to the study findings to learn how and why the care homes have been hit so hard. Are they linked somehow? Is there a supplier, inspector, staff member or other service person who is travelling from one home to another? Are the staff members bringing it in on their shoes? What's going on?

Last edited:
Disinfectant firm warns after Trump comments

A leading disinfectant producer has issued a strong warning not to use its products on the human body after Donald Trump suggested they could potentially be used to treat coronavirus.

Reckitt Benckiser, which owns Lysol and Dettol, said "under no circumstance" should its products be injected or ingested.

Disinfectants are hazardous substances and can be poisonous if ingested.

Even external exposure can be dangerous to the skin, eyes and respiratory system.

Reckitt Benckiser, which also owns the brands Vanish and Cillit Bang, said its products should not be administered "through injection, ingestion or any other route".

"Our disinfectant and hygiene products should only be used as intended and in line with usage guidelines. Please read the label and safety information," the company said in a statement.

Iowa news today: April 24: 521 new COVID-19 cases in Iowa, 11 additional deaths 521 new confirmed cases and 11 more have passed. We now have 4, 445 confirmed cases and 107 passed. 1, 604 (36% have recovered). IMO-this is the highest daily total cases and deaths to date. However, as of Monday, April 27 this is happening in Iowa:
Proclamation would allow elective surgeries, re-open farmers markets in Iowa The allowance of the elective surgeries is at the discretion of each indiviual hospital or doctor's office. I have not read the complete proclamation myself yet, but she did also mention IMO in the pc this morning that the farmer's markets will also have restrictions. She will also be making another annoucement this Mon. on more openings that should take place on May 1. Also, in the pc IMO the IDPH said the peak is still 2-3 weeks away.

Huge spike in Massachusetts positive coronavirus cases as people begin to ignore lockdown!

upload_2020-4-24_13-11-32.png

Possible media headline or a logical conclusion?

After a declining trend in CV cases, a sudden spike in positive cases means what? In general, nothing. It is hard to make conclusions from these numbers since there are so many variables, such as who are being testing- random people in a study or suspected cases with fever? Healthcare workers? Or how many tests did you do?

Here is the correlating data for number of test done per day. The spike in positive cases on April 23 had a surge of 3x the number of tests from the day before.

upload_2020-4-24_13-15-29.png

Except that’s literally what was said...
Right, if taken out of context, it was 'literal.' But he obviously was brainstorming, talking 'theoretically' and not 'literally.' He was speaking about discovering how to disinfect the lungs from the virus. Not literally saying to 'inject disinfectants' like denatured alcohol or Clorox.

Theoretically his brainstorming was correct. Just not literally, which is what everyone is stuck on so they can ridicule and mock. JMO

President Trump was just thinking out loud at that moment. Reflects his (and everyone else's) frustrations with all the negative news regarding promising cures recently. BTW, I quit smoking a while ago, I will not use the rest of the nicotine patches. Initially, we were told smokers were at greater risk. Now, it may confer immunity. This advice can change again in a few weeks.
I am waiting fo the announcement that gin and tonic is helpful.
Went shopping. No queuing. Some things out of stock but ok in general. Got some Easter merchandise on sale. Saw one person in a mask only and she only had it up over her mouth. Eyes and nose uncovered. Most people social distancing.

Ghost town everywhere. People rushing in doing the shop and rushing out.

Right, if taken out of context, it was 'literal.' But he obviously was brainstorming, talking 'theoretically' and not 'literally.' He was speaking about discovering how to disinfect the lungs from the virus. Not literally saying to 'inject disinfectants' like denatured alcohol or Clorox.

Theoretically his brainstorming was correct. Just not literally, which is what everyone is stuck on so they can ridicule and mock. JMO
Breathing in preparations for asthma sufferers is normal so it is not so ridiculous. Nebulisers producing steam. Putting a towel over your head above a bowl of hot water with mint, eucalyptus or tee tree oil. My father had goose grease spread on his chest for his childhood bronchitis.

He literally said is there anyway they can do something with the disinfectant "by injection inside or almost a cleaning?"
So you think he meant by 'a disinfectant', he was talking about injecting bleach? He couldn't have meant a 'disinfectant' that was able to be injected in medicine form? Or taken by IV?

To me it sounded more like brain storming, where someone speaks theoretically, not literally. JMO

Australia and Iran are experiencing rapid virus spread and they are currently in summer climates.

Oh my goodness, that thought appears to be a near quote, right from the data analysis prepared for the White House! But, Australia is not in summer, and is not experiencing rapid virus spread.

From the link:
"In fact, some of the places where the virus has already spread are experiencing warm weather right now.

“Given that countries currently in ‘summer’ climates, such as Australia and Iran, are experiencing rapid virus spread, a decrease in cases with increases in humidity and temperature elsewhere should not be assumed.”

No, We Can’t Trust Warm Weather To Stop Coronavirus: Here’s Why

I get your meaning, but in fact we have to protect all 3 of them in order to protect people. JMO.
I totally agree. My husband did his formal retirement in early February so we took our IRA out of the bank and it was in holding while we prepared to transfer to new IRA. So we did not get the stock market hit.

But many of his co-workers took a big economic hit on their retirement accounts. Obviously 'lives' are more important. But retirement funds are also quite important. We literally 'rely' upon these funds to house us and feed us in our golden years.

Last edited:
I am not yet convinced that it would have been 'better' to totally shut down sooner. I do think there is still a 'herd' immunity that is a necessary factor at some point. We do need a certain amount of the population to have been exposed and to begin building up their antibodies. Maybe I understand it wrong, but I thought that was a necessity at some point.

If we had shut down the nation completely, when there had only been 11 deaths, then what? How long before we begin to slowly re-open, with an entirely unexposed, virgin population? There would still have been deaths at some point. JMO
There were other things that could have been done aside from shutting down the entire country to mitigate the damage.

So you think he meant by 'a disinfectant', he was talking about injecting bleach? He couldn't have meant a 'disinfectant' that was able to be injected in medicine form? Or taken by IV?

To me it sounded more like brain storming, where someone speaks theoretically, not literally. JMO
FWIW - from CNN's White House Correspondent...

Kaitlan Collins on Twitter
Per the pool in the Oval Office right now, Trump now says he was being sarcastic when he mused that disinfectants could possibly kill the coronavirus inside the body.
12:43 PM - 24 Apr 2020

And, a direct quote...

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
Trump just now on this comment: "No, I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters like you just to see what would happen."
1:35 PM - 24 Apr 2020

I came across this today and thought to share. He always seems to make me ponder my beliefs, which many here do and is a GOOD thing IYKWIM. So many times others post here and it makes me "ponder", I will "consider" and often *lightbulb* it enlightens me to change my viewpoint.... which I tremendously like to have happen in my life at this age lol. Not posting as agreeing with all, but much to consider.

He has information here I wasn't aware of, and speaks to questions many of us have or things to consider in the "big picture" (global, which may not be best for you and I), and many I hadn't even thought about asking.

By Bill Gates... (yes, it is not MSM, but I have asked/received mod approval at Websleuths to post as an FYI)

The first modern pandemic | Bill Gates
He and his wife plan for 7 billion people to take his upcoming vaccine. Nice timing I suppose.

Gates Foundation calls for global cooperation on vaccine for 7 billion people

Why are the dead getting coronavirus stimulus checks?
Mary Nakamura of Hawaii was among the first Americans to receive one of the federal government’s $1,200 stimulus payments designed to help revive an economy flagging from the COVID-19 pandemic.

There’s just one problem: She’s been dead for more than a year.

[...]

An IRS spokesman told The Times that the agency is “very aware” of the situation, considers it a high priority and is working on getting the public some answers.

[...]

“We’ll get that back,” the president asserted.

But tax law experts think otherwise. They believe that the language in the stimulus package approved by Congress doesn’t allow the IRS to claw back the money.

[...]

“The IRS is following the law,” Olson said. “The law tells the IRS to look at what the taxpayer reported on their 2019 return. ‘Look at their income and their filing status. If they are eligible based on that, make the payment.’ It doesn’t say, ‘Don’t make the payment to dead people.’”

Olson said it would be difficult for the IRS to exclude the deceased.

The agency would have to take the time to cross-reference eligibility lists with Social Security death records, said Nicole Kaeding, an economist and vice-president of the National Taxpayers Union Foundation, a conservative tax think tank.

[...]

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

I am hoping soooo much that people are paying attention to how everything unfolded so when/if a pandemic comes again, we have a better idea on how to handle it.

It's entirely possible that our way of living will change so that it is more flexible, with the economy continuing to chug along even if we face a health crisis.

We need to be ready for big shifts and changes, imo. And I hope we do that cooperatively, though I'm less hopeful that will happen as the divide in this country seems great. :(

The divide needs to be healed just as much as health and the economy. And, to be honest, we don't need a leader from any particular party for that. We have the power on our to work together, if we want to.

jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members