Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #52

Status
Not open for further replies.
President Trump participates in a roundtable with industry executives on the plan for opening up America again.

Executives from Wynn Resorts, Hilton, Toyota North America and Waffle House are among those meeting with President Donald Trump on Wednesday to discuss reopening the U.S., according to people familiar with the matter.

The people, who requested anonymity because the list of attendees is not yet public, said other executives will be in attendance as well.

Trump has been soliciting feedback from a wide range of executives on when and how to reopen businesses that have shuttered their doors amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump to meet with executives from Waffle House, Wynn, Toyota, others to discuss reopening economy

Last edited:
This is very true about the hunger, something I've been worried about since I first became interested in this virus. With meat packing plants closing down and farm workers not able to do the work, where does the food come from?

If there isn't enough food, what comes next? Civil unrest?

it comes from the vegi and fruit farmers and even people's own gardens

Here in Indiana people are posting excitedly all over social media, because the malls are all opening on Saturday. SMH.
In my opinion, that is sad. Here in New Mexico, we didn't have a lot of cases of COVID. What we did have, hit a plateau last week and we were looking good. Then BAM! we suddenly started getting lots of positives and nursing home deaths. Now, we sure are not looking good anymore.

As far as I am concerned, it is disaster waiting to happen to open businesses. We became lax here in terms of social distancing and are paying the price.

UN warns coronavirus fallout will lead to the next pandemic – global starvation

The next global pandemic may very well be a hunger pandemic as a result of the fallout from coronavirus.

While the World Health Organization warns that stringent guidelines need to stay in place to combat the spread of COVID-19, fellow United Nations agency World Food Program (WFP) believes that it will lead to an uptick in global poverty and starvation, and the response to the virus itself may end up killing more people by the end of 2020.

Last week, WFP's executive director David Beasley cautioned the UN Security Council that the risk of large-scale famine in much of the developing world was now "of biblical proportions" as a result of the global pandemic.

"While dealing with a COVID-19 pandemic, we are also on the brink of a hunger pandemic," Beasley told the council. "There is also a real danger that more people could potentially die from the economic impact of COVID-19 than from the virus itself."

Much more at link. None of it good :(

Thank you for the link.

I have worried about this since the dire state of our economy began.

I DO believe many more will die from poverty due to the economic collapse of so many nations worldwide than the lives lost from CV19.

It will drastically increase suicide deaths, murder/suicides, and drug overdoses as well. Addictions to drugs or alcohol will soar possibly rising to levels we've never seen before.

Imo, because of starvation or poverty it will greatly increase extremely violent crimes as well....not only in our country, but effecting many countries worldwide.

We are really in a no win situation now. The longer this goes on the worse it will become for the wellbeing of so many people. Imo,millions will suffer from PTSD.

So many lives will be lost far beyond the virus deaths.

The secondary causations will be just as deadly harmful or maybe even more so for citizens all over the world. :(

Jmho

First wave, second wave.......I have come to disbelieve the wave theory. At our current speed, will there actually be a pause before we are hit again?

I wonder if we are currently being propelled by a fully developed tsunami with no let up to gasp for breath.

Well, using that logic, if robbery or burglary takes place on your property, you are responsible for it? What if somebody kills someone on your property, are they going to charge you with murder even if you had nothing to do with it?
Woman says she didn't know about the party and was at work during the party.
Her adult son is the one who threw this party.
As I said, the adult son also should have been charged because he is the one who invited the guests but the homeowner is responsible. It is illogical to compare invited guests to burglars/robbers, who are not invited.

A few years ago, our neighbors hosted a high school graduation party for their oldest child. Many of the guests brought in alcohol through the basement door while the parents remained upstairs. The parents and their daughter were charged and so were the kids who were caught by the cops.

JMO

Day 45 here in GA....about to be wide open with no flattening of the curve.....I will be inside for much longer until I see something positive happen to these numbers.
You are being realistic @Henry2326. I am prepared to self isolate through then end of 2020. I accept that is the difference between being healthy and being possibly dead....or at best very sick.

I do not cry easily. But, watching Gov Cuomo's address this morning made me weep .
MOO
I know as every other thought we share it's a 50/50 opinion on Cuomo.
I'm seriously in love with the man - a calmness, common sense, heart - I've watched him age as he loses people in his state and he's a fighter for them.

@Henry2326 . Do you think GA will open, see a surge of positives and deaths and as a result shutdown again?
Yep......there is really no where to go but up.

this forecast assumes social distancing ends may 1st.....
Daily deaths will double and the curve is turned upward. Median death projected at 4,795 with an upward range of almost 16,000.
COVID-19 Projections | US | Georgia

You are being realistic @Henry2326. I am prepared to self isolate through then end of 2020. I accept that is the difference between being healthy and being possibly dead....or at best very sick.

Even as the economy opens, I am not sensing a spending spree.

Are people itching to spend?

I think we should pace ourselves for slow economic recovery, not speedy. (And I think we should brace ourselves for Wave 2.)

jmo

Wonder where they're getting the $ to spend. Better save for the second wave.
Judging from the teenagers that have been riding up and down the street all hours of the day and night for the past six weeks - probably their parents.
Or they just want to go and hang out with their friends.
None of my family or friends have received their stimulus money. Most had direct deposit. Hopefully soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SalmonElla