CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nova Scotia shooting: A detailed timeline of how the rampage unfolded

Saturday, April 18
Prior to 10 p.m. — RCMP say Gabriel Wortman assaults and binds his longtime girlfriend in the Portapique area, a community of about 100 people located 40 kilometres west of the town of Truro.

RCMP say that at some point, she escapes and hides in the woods overnight.

10:01 p.m. — Police receive a 911 call about a shooting in rural Portapique, N.S.

10:26 p.m. — Officers arrive in Portapique and find bodies on the roads and in homes as well as buildings on fire. A surviving gunshot victim says the gunman is driving a police cruiser.
Sunday, April 19
5:43 a.m. — Wortman leaves Debert before daybreak.

6:29 a.m.He is seen on video entering the Wentworth area, roughly 60 kilometres north of Portapique. He heads to a home on Hunter Road, where he kills two men and a woman, believed to be Alanna Jenkins, Sean McLeod and their neighbour Tom Bagley.
9:57 a.m.Video captures Wortman driving east in Debert.

The other day many of us were musing as to whom had the reported sighting of him at 0630hrs Sunday morning; the timeline confirms this was based off video footage from the Wentworth area. IMO, that means that they became aware of 0630 timing after the fact when reviewing footage. Neighbours from that area have also reported they heard one gunshot approx. 0700hrs but no-one calls 911 at that time. 911 is called when the home is engulfed in fire, more 911 calls when Mr. Bagley is found shot in the yard. IMO, the earlier gunshot was that which killed Mr. Bagley and this scene was one where the other victims at this scene died in the fire.

Great link here with map and property addresses:
Many Nova Scotia shooting victims were killer’s neighbours, records show

More unknowns........quoting the article linked above
Wortman allegedly left the party after getting into an argument with his girlfriend. He then allegedly tied her up in his house and beat her before returning to the party.

Do we know when the idiot left the party? Did she leave with him or on her own? Which house was she confined in? What was said when he returned to the party without her? Or did he return in his cop disguise? It would be interesting to know how long after he initially left was it before the 911 call at 10:01.
I have read the police were there in 12 minutes, which is at odds with a 10:26 arrival time from a 10:01 dispatch call.

Wortman allegedly left the party after getting into an argument with his girlfriend. He then allegedly tied her up in his house and beat her before returning to the party.

Do we know when the idiot left the party? Did she leave with him or on her own? Which house was she confined in? What was said when he returned to the party without her? Or did he return in his cop disguise? It would be interesting to know how long after he initially left was it before the 911 call at 10:01.
I have read the police were there in 12 minutes, which is at odds with a 10:26 arrival time from a 10:01 dispatch call.

The questions you ask are unknown. The podcast above speaks to some of your questions. The podcaster seems to have access to some close sources. Most of it is things already discussed, though. But, there is some interesting new info such as wounded constable shot in both arms and chest. He's wearing body armour. Killer engaged in back and forth shots with Const. Stevenson.

Nova Scotia is being hit with another tragedy today as the HMCS Fredericton, home port of Halifax, has had one of her Cyclones crash into the sea while participating on Op REASSURANCE. We are a small military community, and Nova Scotians have always been proud of their RCN and huge supporters of her Fleet.

6 Crew aboard; 1 confirmed to be found deceased; 5 still missing. I'm tracking those numbers through work. Will post a link s soon as I can find one/one is published. The SAR Mission continues. May her remaining 5 crew be recovered safely.

Edit to add: here we go:
One person reportedly dead after Canadian military helicopter crashed into Mediterranean Sea

Again, Nova Scotia, you are in my prayers tonight. As are my friends aboard the Freddy and my fellow Canadian sailors, airmen, airwomen and soldiers.

The questions you ask are unknown. The podcast above speaks to some of your questions. The podcaster seems to have access to some close sources. Most of it is things already discussed, though. But, there is some interesting new info such as wounded constable shot in both arms and chest. He's wearing body armour. Killer engaged in back and forth shots with Const. Stevenson.

There's news articles in here from a few days ago that detailed the surviving Constable having received numerous gunshots and their locations. He's a very lucky individual.

About the "party" - has RCMP ever mentioned the party? Or is it only referred to in some of the MSM links?

MOO

I'm sure more details and succinct timings will be filled in once the 400+ witnesses are talked to and statements taken "officially". And, 16 crime scene investigations are completed. This was an incident without precedence. We want answers yesterday, yet the sheer complexity of it all and statements "midst investigation' are exactly what is leading to the current situation of perceived hinkiness and questioning of what they are saying.

IMO, they, and witnesses need time. It will come; we need to give it the time a thorough investigation, and they deserve.

About the "party" - has RCMP ever mentioned the party? Or is it only referred to in some of the MSM links?

MOO

There was indeed a party; it's linked in here somewhere.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...th-girlfriend-before-going-on-a-killing-spree
“That was obviously an advantage the suspect had on police, public, everyone he encountered.”

The police confirmed that before the shooting, the killer had had an argument with his girlfriend at a party in the small village of Portapique on Saturday evening. He then assaulted and tied her up when they returned to his cottage.

“It was a significant incident,” Campbell said of the assault.

After the woman somehow escaped and emerged from hiding at daybreak on Sunday, she called 911 and informed investigators that Wortman “was in possession of a fully marked and equipped replica RCMP vehicle and was wearing an RCMP uniform,” Campbell said.

Last edited:
Vern I will watch that podcast now, thanks for the link. I also did not want wish to convey a sense of "hinkiness" or questioning what they are saying, it's just that as more comes out, more questions form in my addled mind. and I pose questions as they come to me. Admittedly, my ability to pose questions works faster than a thorough investigation can process them.
I used to do historical research and well remember when people wanted answers right away, and that work was in no way akin to the importance of this.
Further, prayers outbound for those aboard the Cyclone. The navy tradition of N.S. runs thru my family as my dad trained at the St. Margaret's school for the Merchant Navy during ww2.

Vern I will watch that podcast now, thanks for the link. I also did not want wish to convey a sense of "hinkiness" or questioning what they are saying, it's just that as more comes out, more questions form in my addled mind. and I pose questions as they come to me. Admittedly, my ability to pose questions works faster than a thorough investigation can process them.
I used to do historical research and well remember when people wanted answers right away, and that work was in no way akin to the importance of this.
Further, prayers outbound for those aboard the Cyclone. The navy tradition of N.S. runs thru my family as my dad trained at the St. Margaret's school for the Merchant Navy during ww2.

Forgive me if you took it from my post that I was inferring you, in particular, as that was not my intention.

I intended more of a general feel of how we're all trying to disect events through a partial lens and seeing comments of a general nature "this doesn't match that", "this doesn't make sense". etc.

There's just a whole bunch that doesn't make sense. I don't think, even once the investigations are completed and the timeline is set to concrete, that we'll ever make sense of this. I'm like you, stuff I'm hearing from family and friends in the area stuff that I've not seen in print yet so I've got questions too. I'm trying to limit myself to links of confirmed information in an attempt to end my own confusion, yet everything is clear as mud for me at this point! :D

But the bits and pieces are the critical details and they are still trickling in.

I’ve heard it being referred to as a barbecue as well.

I'll just say that a BBQ Party on a weekend in cottage country that coincides with summer residences beginning to be opened up, with or without the cottagers, after a long, cold winter would not be/is not unusal round Nova Scotia. Nor are big beach bonfire parties. Nova Scotians are a generous, neighbourly bunch. Great and amazing people those Bluenosers.

No problem. I am guilty of that "doesn't make sense" behaviour. After the RCMP press conference, when they took questions, I kept hoping they would ask "my" questions. They were not. But I did learn a lot, and continue to do so. Even with "full" information, I agree with you, I doubt it will ever make sense.

At about 4;40 in the podcast she says the wounded officer drove to a casualty collection point that was set up for the victims the night before. Would this be the Fire Hall?

ETA
Could he possibly have been mistaken for GW At the firehall? Then when they realized he actually was an officer they all jumped in the car and left together to get him to hospital?

At about 4;40 in the podcast she says the wounded officer drove to a casualty collection point that was set up for the victims the night before. Would this be the Fire Hall?

i believe he did. I know Onslow FD was one Collection point, but that would have been too far of a drive. I believe there were multiple points set up.
Friday’s PC it was mentioned the wounded officer was waiting just north of the river on highway 2 and 224 when he was shot at. Then headed north after the confrontation To seek aid .

I’m not sure if Stewiacke FD was a collection point, but is a 5 min drive north on highway 2 from where GW shot at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea