Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #52

Status
Not open for further replies.
except for the older folks who work in essential jobs :(
Retail, service jobs etc And all those teachers and nurses
I can’t do my job from home Sucks to be old and essential *shrug*

Rsbm
But maybe the older teachers and nurses and service workers will have to transition to remote jobs. Maybe they will train other teachers/nurses.

Supervise from home computer, or work on paperwork, lab tests, scheduling, ordering supplies, etc, from home.

Reality is reality. It does suck to be old right now.

I miss my Mom and I am not allowed to visit her in quarantine. :(

I miss my 4 yr old granddaughter and face timing just doesn't fill the void.:confused:

But I am a 68 yr old asthmatic. I need to stay isolated as much as possible. It is what it is during a global pandemic.

I do want the economy to slowly but surely reopen. I want to protect the supply lines and keep food production stable.

I want to save the businesses that can still be salvaged. If that means that hubby and I need to stay locked down, while our kids go back to work, then so be it. :cool:

Thousands of people waited for food parcels amid the lockdown in Centurion, South Africa, standing in a line that stretched over two miles. The country plans to reopen its agriculture sector and allow some manufacturing to resume May 1.

Thousands of people queued on Wednesday (April 29) for food parcels amid lockdown in the South African city of Centurion.

ABC News on Twitter

The issue I have with the reopening is that folks aren't wearing masks. I am appalled by this - I cringe when I do my curbside grocery pickup and see all the people going in/out, brushing up against each other, 75% without masks. To me - a mask is a symbol of a person that has greater love for anyone than himself.
Yes, although I'm medical and understand that a mask protects the other person most, I still feel like my mask offers me a little protection against those carriers carelessly spreading the virus. Maybe minimal, but it's a small barrier between me and them.

I want to go up to the mask wearers the way I do our military in uniform and thank them for their service to our country and their love for others.

I admit, I'm selfish. I want to see those precious grandbabies of mine grow up. I want to see my elderly mother live another 10 years and not go down as a statistic in this pandemic. To me - a short term interruption to our "normal" is a small price to pay for a quicker and safer re-entry back to a new normal of the life we obviously so loved and miss.
We, Americans, are an arrogant nation. We don't want anyone else telling us what we can and can't do - even if it's for our own safety and good health. We scream that we relish our freedom, but flaunt that freedom in ways that jeopardize our own lives and those of others. And of those we love.

I'll go back to my corner again now

Hear hear! Standing ovation! Please don’t retreat to a corner.

Doctor behind remdesivir study says it's a 'glimmer of hope' | Daily Mail Online

April 30, 2020
  • The study showed that patients who were given the Ebola drug recovered from coronavirus 31% faster than whose who did not
  • It also reduced the mortality rate among them from 11.6% to 8%
  • Dr. Fauci said on Wednesday the results were 'really quite important' and showed a drug can block the virus
  • The FDA may approve the drug as early as Thursday to try to fast track treatment
  • The flurry of enthusiasm boosted the stock markets and sent shares of Gilead Sciences, which makes the drug, up by nearly 7%
  • Dr. Aneesh Mehta was among the doctors who gave patients the drug for the study
  • He told Good Morning America it was a 'glimmer of hope' in the fight against COVID-19
  • Other studies, including one in China, suggest the drug is less effective

Remdesivir is not an Ebola drug. It failed.

"The drug [Remdesivir], made by the US company Gilead Sciences, is an antiviral that was trialled in Ebola, but which failed to show benefits in Africa."​

First trial for potential Covid-19 drug shows it has no effect

Thousands of people waited for food parcels amid the lockdown in Centurion, South Africa, standing in a line that stretched over two miles. The country plans to reopen its agriculture sector and allow some manufacturing to resume May 1.

Thousands of people queued on Wednesday (April 29) for food parcels amid lockdown in the South African city of Centurion.

ABC News on Twitter

This is devastating, especially as it's one of the richest countries in Africa.

At the moment I'm at home with confirmed Covid-19, my symptoms are mild with a fever of above 38,0 Centigrades (100 F) if I don't take paracetamol, a headache that won't go away, tiredness, and very mild cold symptoms. No breathing difficulties, cough, aches or anything else. I most likely caught it at work (emergency department), as we have had more and more patients with suspected corona during last week, and one of my colleagues have also got it. Now I have to stay at home until all symptoms are gone + two more days. I got a call from one of the doctors at the Department of Infectious Diseases, as well as from a nurse at the Disease control unit at the hospital, giving me advice and what symptoms to be observant of.

The number confirmed cases here in my part of Sweden is still low, 73 cases, and 2 deaths. The laboratory capacity have been increase and now all hospital staff, and personnel taking care of elders, are tested if they have any symptoms that could be coronarelated.

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery, FrostOwl.

Thank you for your work on the front lines. You are so appreciated and valued by so many around the world.

Please keep us posted on your recovery.

Choice no. 3 is good, as long as we are prepared to accept that 20% of those who test positive to not survive. This stat seems rather constant - that 19% of those with closed cases are in the morgue.

It's one thing to look at average age and comorbidity. It is not only people over age 80 or those with a secondary condition (e.g.: obesity) that are hospitalized. People of all ages die, and many that recover will have reduced life span due to virus damage; such as acute respiratory distress syndrome. This is where option no. 2 becomes safer for the herd.

View attachment 244996

Coronavirus Update (Live): 3,219,240 Cases and 228,194 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

I think 20% is high for a CMR (case mortality rate). While it's clear we don't know the total number of deaths, we can take a doomsday view and say perhaps it's twice as high as what we think it is. But that's really taking a dire view, since Italy has good data that out-of-hospital CoVid related deaths are not equal to the in-hospital ones - perhaps 50% more deaths than reported may be due to CoVid and some underlying condition.

228,194 deaths out of 3.2M is not 20%. 10% would be 321,924 deaths. So, we're at less than 10% reported rate. And this number does seem pretty stable as time goes on (less than 10% - about 5-7%). The total mortality rate is therefore very small. If every single person got CoVid and the mortality rate was 10%, then we'd eventually have 800,000,000 deaths world wide, approximate. But it's important to know that number too.

At any rate, per tested case, the rate fluctuates from locality to locality, with places like Lombardy and New York bumping those averages way up and accounting for so many global deaths. Germany, Greece, California, Kentucky, Hawaii, Montana, Japan, South Korea (the list is really long) have much lower rates. Many factors, including newness of hospitals and housing, the build of HVAC systems, the availability of immediate imaging via x-ray or MRI, the availability of PCR equipment for testing and most of all, the ability to track the disease and quarantine everyone who came into contact with a known carrier.

The death rate per confirmed case, where I live, is only 3.2%, no where close to 20%. That's for my county, and for my city, it's 2.7% of people diagnosed who die.

Los Angeles County has, by comparison, a 4.7% rate of death per case.

Further, it's clear that this number fluctuates by "latitude" (an indirect measure of vitamin D? Probably).

And that particular number (death per case diagnosed) depends heavily on how much testing is being done. Death per total population is probably a better number - but when we look at that, the rate is much smaller.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom plans to order the closure of all beaches and state parks after seeing seashores packed with thousands of people, ABC News has learned.

Over the weekend, thousands of people flocked to beaches in Southern California amid a heatwave. Newsom reprimanded beachgoers during a press conference on Monday, saying such risky behavior could prevent the state from reopening other activities as it continues to try to control the spread of the novel coronavirus.

"Those images are an example of what not to see, what not to do if we're going to make the meaningful progress we've made the past couple of weeks," Newsom said.

huntington-beach-california-getty-200430_hpEmbed_20200430-050645_3x2_992.jpg

Coronavirus updates: Potential COVID-19 treatment shows 'glimmer of hope,' researcher says

ABC News on Twitter

Churchill Downs will miss the pomp and circumstance that would typically descend on the iconic grounds for the Kentucky Derby, but the racetrack will instead host its first-ever virtual run for the roses to support coronavirus relief efforts.

The annual event on the first Saturday in May was postponed until Sept. 5 due to concerns of coronavirus, so the track came up with a computer-simulated race and nationwide at-home Derby party to help raise money for COVID-19 emergency relief funds.

Thirteen past Triple Crown winners will face off in a virtual race under the historic Twin Spires for "The Kentucky Derby: Triple Crown Showdown" on NBC. The computer-simulated version of the fastest two minutes in sports will "use data algorithms including historical handicapping information about each horse, which helps to determine the probability of their potential finishing positions."

Fans can pick a favorite horse to win the virtual race online and make a charitable donation to COVID-19 relief efforts. Anyone who selects the winning horse will be entered for a chance to win the ultimate Kentucky Derby 146 VIP Experience.

EW313w5XkAMl5ah

ABC News on Twitter

How to enjoy the Kentucky Derby at home this weekend

But maybe the older teachers and nurses and service workers will have to transition to remote jobs. Maybe they will train other teachers/nurses.

Supervise from home computer, or work on paperwork, lab tests, scheduling, ordering supplies, etc, from home.

Reality is reality. It does suck to be old right now.

I miss my Mom and I am not allowed to visit her in quarantine. :(

I miss my 4 yr old granddaughter and face timing just doesn't fill the void.:confused:

But I am a 68 yr old asthmatic. I need to stay isolated as much as possible. It is what it is during a global pandemic.

I do want the economy to slowly but surely reopen. I want to protect the supply lines and keep food production stable.

I want to save the businesses that can still be salvaged. If that means that hubby and I need to stay locked down, while our kids go back to work, then so be it. :cool:

Shouldn't at-risk workers be put on furlough until it is safe to return to the work force. Let them collect unemployment, maybe up to the full paycheck. It seems better to pay them not to work, to save lives, and reduce the burden of the health care system. And furlough means they have a job to go back to.

UMass Memorial easing visitor restrictions for end-of-life care

UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester, which like other hospitals has had to prohibit nearly all visitors, is now loosening restrictions on visitors to coronavirus patients in end-of-life care.

The hospital's new initiative allows two loved ones to have a one-time visit with a patient, a step that UMass Memorial President Dr. Michael Gustafson said in a staff memo makes the hospital among the first in Massachusetts and potentially the country to implement what he called a compassionate patient-centered intervention.

Massachusetts/more at link

A few words about bats: apparently they have one of the toughest immune systems in the entire mammalian class. Sort of like some birds. Anyway, the viruses they host frequently would be fatal to other mammals, but not to bats. Bats therefore continue to host some really gnarly viruses.

So when a virus jumps species, as this one did, the nature of the host species helps determine just how gnarly it is. This is the first bat virus I know of to get to humans, and I thought it was interesting that bat viruses are so hardy. Why, therefore, anyone would continue to have bats in a human marketplace (and labs studying bat viruses just in case a bat virus escaped its host species) is beyond me. Why not simply ban bats from the marketplace, thereby making it virtually impossible for anyone to get such a virus - and therefore, obviating the need to study multiple bat coronaviruses in lab conditions (where there are humans and humans do make mistakes - sometimes very serious ones).

i believe our unions are discouraging taking furloughs Because there isn’t any set end date/it’s at employers discretion? /so I’m not sure but they’re concerned we won’t have jobs to go back to? I’ve not really been keeping up with all those details and not sure how all that works.
Just to say the unions are discouraging it :)

Eta ^^^ as an “in general” thing not necessarily at risk employees.

My over 60 work bestie with underlying Health conditions is currently taking fmla (May or May not be an option for at risk folks?)

Shouldn't at-risk workers be put on furlough until it is safe to return to the work force. Let them collect unemployment, maybe up to the full paycheck. It seems better to pay them not to work, to save lives, and reduce the burden of the health care system. And furlough means they have a job to go back to.

Last edited:
:eek: Just. Wow. And o_O

It's the $300 C drip that intrigues me.
Anyone ever do the C drip for health benefits?
I've heard it revitalizes?
Remember when peeps were self administering B 12 shots back in the 70's?

Googled ...
"Vitamin C can be safely administered by intravenous infusion at maximum doses at one-hundred grams or less."

Yep, that might be best, except we miss out on all that experience and wisdom.

It feels to me that an experienced nurse could work at home, and be on call for younger nurses, who are on duty. It would be great for them to have someone to ask questions too while on the front line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23