Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
(There's a helpful video in the link. I don't know how to post that)

Video: What to expect during a drive-thru COVID-19 test in L.A.

After driving up and waiting their turn inside their vehicle, the test taker will have to confirm their identity with personnel before receiving a bag containing a swab.

The test taker must cough into their mask three to five times to bring up secretions from their lungs. They then must take the swab and rub it inside their mouth: on the left cheek, right cheek and the roof of the mouth, near the throat, for 10 seconds each.
The swab then needs to be carefully placed, swab head first, into the liquid-filled tube provided in the kit. The test taker must screw the top of the tube back on and shake it to mix the sample with the fluid before putting it back in the bag.

Personnel can then retrieve the kit from the test taker.
Oh good. That sounds better than trying to stick a long swab up my nose into my throat. :confused:

We have a free drive up test site about 1 mile away from us. My daughter has said maybe we should ALL get tested and if we all pass, we can actually have some family time together....it does sound tempting for sure...

Last edited:
Where is the fishing ?......moo

Can you do crabbing in your area?

What is meant by “crabbing”, anyway? Like digging for sand crabs at the ocean shoreline? Used to do that for fun as a kid, and I think sometimes fishermen use them for bait.

Do people catch crabs in a cage off from a pier? Is that the kind of crabbing being referred to? I’m sure they don’t mean the kind where you go out in a chartered boat. Not yet.

I would think surf fishing or pier fishing would be allowed, as long as recommended social distances are kept.

I haven’t caught up today and don’t know if I will. I’d like your advice, though, please.

My mom has been isolated, has not left the house once, since March 9th. She misses my dog and chickens. I live in the country. She’s thinking about coming out here tomorrow to spend time outside with the dog and chickens. I figured I would Clorox wipe and unlock the gates, set up clean chairs, and she could just come on in the yard alone, do her thing, have her spirits raised.

I think it’s low to no risk. But if there are risks I’m not considering, I’m pretty sure one of you will see them and point them out. And that’s what I need - for anyone who thinks this is a bad idea to tell me so, and why so I can make the best choice.

Thanks in advance, y’all.
My 27 yr old daughter and her boyfriend came into our back yard about a week ago so we could 'visit' from afar. We had our patio furniture all spread out, and we sat and talked with each other, with our masks on, for about 45 minutes. It was really nice.

And so far, 6 days later, none of us have any ill effects. My daughter and her bf have both been quarantining themselves since March 11th.

It was good for the soul for us to get some family time together. If your mom comes to sit in your yard, you can probably join her, in a seat 8 feet away, and wearing masks?

What is meant by “crabbing”, anyway? Like digging for sand crabs at the ocean shoreline? Used to do that for fun as a kid, and I think sometimes fishermen use them for bait.

Do people catch crabs in a cage off from a pier? Is that the kind of crabbing being referred to? I’m sure they don’t mean the kind where you go out in a chartered boat. Not yet.

I would think surf fishing or pier fishing would be allowed, as long as recommended social distances are kept.
Texas Fishing Virus News - Yes to the using a cage trap from a pier or dock for me for blue crabs, etc. I bait it with raw chicken legs...... Fishing is and has been OK in Texas( I have no idea about any other states rules except Arkansas....OK there too with social distancing) during all this Virus time. Social distancing is desired. No problem for me, as my wife or kids and son-in-laws are the only fishing partners I will fish with at any time ......I will go fishing with otto someday in Canada, if he will just smuggle me across the border.......moo

Orangutans among thousands of animals at risk of starvation in Indonesian zoos under coronavirus lockdown, officials warn

5 hrs ago
© Provided by ABC Health Indonesia's orangutans are critically endangered due to habitat destruction and illegal hunting. (ABC News: Adam Harvey)
Some 70,000 animals across Indonesia are at risk of starvation as zoos struggle financially due to social distancing restrictions amid the coronavirus pandemic.

A survey released by the Indonesian Zoo Association concluded that 92 per cent of its member zoos on the islands of Java, Bali, Sumatra, Lombok and Borneo had only enough supplies to feed their animals until mid-May.

Some 60 animal parks across the archipelago attract around 50 million visitors each year but, with most of them closed since mid-March, the body warned that thousands of animals are at risk, including endangered Sumatran tigers and Bornean orangutans.

"Not all zoos receive money from the government. Some are privately owned and rely on the revenue from ticket sales," said Indonesian Zoo Association spokesman Sulhan Syafi'i, as quoted by the Jakarta Post.
I have also read that the more social animals in zoos seem to be looking for us. They are used to interacting with the public and may miss it. They will need extra enrichment activities.

Yeah. Thanks. I found that and just posted it above.

Yes, I just saw that you looked it up. :) I’m not sure what you mean that purchasing the field hospital “begs a whole “nother set of questions” though. What questions do you have?

That said, it appears that Oregon just happened to buy the temporary hospital a couple of years ago. Which begs a whole 'nother set of questions. lol

My 27 yr old daughter and her boyfriend came into our back yard about a week ago so we could 'visit' from afar. We had our patio furniture all spread out, and we sat and talked with each other, with our masks on, for about 45 minutes. It was really nice.

And so far, 6 days later, none of us have any ill effects. My daughter and her bf have both been quarantining themselves since March 11th.

It was good for the soul for us to get some family time together. If your mom comes to sit in your yard, you can probably join her, in a seat 8 feet away, and wearing masks?
I will make sure we’re both in masks. I will probably stay farther away than 8 feet, even. She is my world, so I’m really protective of her. I hope the chickens won’t be ornery and will be easily caught by her so she can hold them. I usually grab them and hand them to her. (She also has my login for our security camera so she can watch the chickens from her apartment. But she likes to interact with them.)

BTW, if any of you think the chicken thing is odd, you should google the Hensioners in Australia. It’s a project where they keep backyard chickens in care homes as enrichment for the residents. It’s really an amazing program and the residents love it.

Does anyone really think that wearing a mask, or a small barrier of plexiglas is going to make a difference?
Yes, Plexiglass especially does make a big difference. There are a lot of essential workers who are behind plexiglass, wearing masks, and have done business with hundreds of customers without getting the virus. Seems like it sometimes works wonders.

If I don't touch anyone, and we don't breathe own each other, then there is a much smaller chance I can catch CV from them. JMO

I will make sure we’re both in masks. I will probably stay farther away than 8 feet, even. She is my world, so I’m really protective of her. I hope the chickens won’t be ornery and will be easily caught by her so she can hold them. I usually grab them and hand them to her. (She also has my login for our security camera so she can watch the chickens from her apartment. But she likes to interact with them.)

BTW, if any of you think the chicken thing is odd, you should google the Hensioners in Australia. It’s a project where they keep backyard chickens in care homes as enrichment for the residents. It’s really an amazing program and the residents love it.
I can totally believe that seniors would adore chickens.

My mother loves chickens . And I never understood why. But recently, on my last visit, she reminisced about her childhood home, which was a family farm in the Ozarks. Ans being the eldest daughter, she was in charge of the eggs. And she told me she used to go out and secure them each day in the henhouse, and then sit and speak to them, giving them pep talks, about laying more eggs. lol

While testing and medical supply shortages persist across much of the United States, the president, vice president and anyone who meets with them get rapid-response coronavirus tests not available to most Americans.
But the House speaker and Senate majority leader on Saturday “respectfully” declined the Trump administration’s offer to deploy the same rapid testing capabilities on Capitol Hill. In a rare joint statement, Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Congress “wants to keep directing resources to the front-line facilities where they can do the most good the most quickly.”
BBM
Hell froze over while I was sewing! Someone should have called and alerted me!

I think your “chicken thing” is delightful! :)

John Burn-Murdoch on Twitter
Cases in cumulative form:
• US curve still rising steadily
• Turkey, Russia & Brazil converging on Western European trajectories
• Japan has passed Korea’s total, Singapore has passed Japan’s curve: both show the danger of thinking a country has dealt with Covid
EXC7-1hWAAIfpyM.jpg

6:23 PM - 2 May 2020

Daily new cases
• As with deaths, US may have peaked but no decline in sight. Same for UK.
• Brazil & Russia still accelerating
• New cases falling in countries that acted early: NZ, Aus, Norway, Austria
• Greek uptick was isolated incident
• Singapore battling its outbreak
EXC70-tXQAI4M2E.jpg

6:23 PM - 2 May 2020

Now back to the international charts, and cumulative deaths:
• US past 60,000 and still sloping upwards
• Japan has passed S Korea
• UK, Spain, France, Italy converging
• Germany faring better than peers
• Australia still looks promising
All charts: Coronavirus tracked: the latest figures as countries fight to contain the pandemic | Free to read
EXC7uVLXYAAEMQ9.jpg

6:22 PM - 2 May 2020

Why do I say UK & US daily deaths may have peaked? Here’s week-on-week change in daily deaths. This gets rid of weekly reporting patterns and asks, are more people dying than at same point last week? In UK & US, blue bars = now seeing *fewer* deaths than same day last week.
EXC7naIXYAUzUW4.png

6:22 PM - 2 May 2020

NEW: Sat 2 May update of coronavirus trajectories Daily deaths
• Brazil, Russia, India [increasing]
• UK falling
• US may have peaked, but is now plateauing
• All descents slower than ascents
• Successes in dark blue: Australia, Norway, Austria Live charts
EXC7enTXYAEZrW7.jpg

6:21 PM - 2 May 2020

Status