Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 17, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *mom arrested* #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was discussed earlier and Gardener hit the nail on the head. A tox screen is possible with liver and muscle samples but we have no idea if those samples were kept. There are laws regarding length of time to hold evidence but the death was never considered suspicious so it is not likely to be held as evidence. They might still exist but they are just as likely to have been disposed of 2 years ago shortly after they were taken. MOO

ID - ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 17, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *mom, stepfather found* #14

No wonder Lori didn't inform Joseph Ryan's family of his death.

Given the contentious divorce/custody battle and the earlier attempt on his life with the stun gun by Alex, his family members might have asked that those liver and thigh samples be tested or at least retained while they did some investigation of their own. At least they might have chosen "yes" if given the option.

Last edited:
He was hot-footing it out of there.

Remember the text from IP to NP saying Melani's "uncles" were "telling her she needs to move to Ammon" and "they think it has something to do with jurisdiction".

He also said "they made the attempt, failed and told her about it after the fact". I wonder if Dateline deliberately didn't ask him and MP about that.

Justin Lum Fox 10 Phoenix

So, "uncles" (plural), Ammon, a community on the eastern side of Idaho Falls, south of Rexburg (I wonder if Ian originally resided there...and moved to Rexburg when Melani did or in preparation for her coming; or if not Ian, then who?), and Melani only is informed about the attempt on Brandon after the fact (which conveniently removes her from the conspiracy before the fact, but raises the question why she doesn't notify authorities once she learned of it).

And all of that needs to be taken with a grain of salt when considering that Melani's new husband, Ian is the source and he is talking AFTER he is aware his ex-wife has done some background on Melani's family and is alarmed by what she sees, the attempt on Brandon is being investigated by LE, and Brandon has hired a private investigator of his own (i.e. Ian has motivation to distance Melani - and potentially himself as well - from criminal acts).

Last edited:
JMO
One thing that continues to baffle me about this case.

With so many murders, attempted murders, people who ended up dead under mysterious circumstances, and two missing children, all happening right around the time LV and CD got together, then why wasnt there an arrest much sooner and why arent more people behind bars with serious charges?

I have only one guess why that is and its only a guess so I could be way off base here. This case is bringing back memories of Lyle Jeffs and the craziness that went along with that case. I came away with the impression that certain local LE agencies that are close to certain religious cities and states that are known to have populations of the same denominations will almost protect them in a way. I think back to how the compound where LJ's followers were located were more or less protected where they were. It wasnt until lots of outside pressure was put on where LE and Child Protective Services finally did something and were able to access the compound and take some real actions.

I get a sense in this LV case that certain people in certain communities would always get the benefit of the doubt from their local LE so long as they claimed to be a part of a certain faith.

I may be way off base but its the only reason I can think of why LE could not put two and two together much sooner than now.

At least we have one behind bars but we still dont have anyone with a murder charge yet, even though at least three are already dead and two are missing.

Vallow’s niece has remained close with her aunt throughout the family turmoil, and has largely been supportive of Vallow despite her arrest on felony charges of child desertion. In the episode, the soft-spoken couple delivered a bombshell revelation: That Ian had been working as an FBI informant, and puportedly kept that from his new wife for two weeks.

Though the specific timeline is unclear, Melani and Ian have been married for roughly as long as Lori Vallow and Chad Daybell, having decided to tie the knot just two weeks after their first date."

At some point this fall, Melani followed her aunt to Rexburg, Idaho, and admits that she hasn’t seen 17-year-old Tylee or Joshua “JJ” Vallow, who both vanished during the month of September. She has stated consisently in media interviews that she does not know where the children are.

Ian told “Dateline” host Keith Morrison that his ex-wife had contacted him sometime in recent months, expressing concerns about their children’s exposure to the Vallow family circle, and said she was going to the police. Ian said he agreed to go with her to the Rexburg Police headquarters. Unexpectedly, Ian was also met there by FBI agents, who asked for his cooperation — and he agreed. For two weeks, he said in the interview, he wore a wire and recorded his conversations with his wife, which ultimately did not yield any information about the missing children.

“It wasn’t being discussed,” Ian said on “Dateline.” The couple said that after two weeks, Ian volunteered to his new wife that he had been recording her. Melani indicated that she believed the authorities were taking advantage of the fact that they newlyweds don’t have much history, and said she felt her husband was meaning to do the right thing, but was “confused.”

It is unclear exactly what prompted Ian to tell his wife he had been spying on her, or what it meant for any agreement he might have had with local or federal law enforcement.

“I started to see her perspective,” Ian said. “This is not all the hype it’s made out to be.”

RSBM and BBM. And apologies in advance for the wall of text.

Some things about Melani and Ian's account have never sat right with me. Above I've bolded some of the things that bother me about their account, and here are some of my thoughts on them. All MOO, of course.

• The quick marriage. Who does that? Really? Two weeks from when they supposedly met and had a "first date?" I'll tell you who - Lori and Chad. And, as it turns out, evidence eventually turns up that they (Chad and Lori) knew each other much longer than the two week claim, and also that there was likely infidelity between them while their former spouses were still alive. While I'm not willing to say the same is true for Ian and Melani at this point, it is most certainly a cause for a "quick marriage" and something worth considering. I can almost certainly guarantee that nobody, especially in Latter-day Saint circles (even considering our focus on marriage and families), gets married after having only known each other for only two weeks. There has to be more to this story than what is being told. And none of it's good (thus why it's not being told).
  • Ian wanted to go to the police with his ex-wife. So his ex-wife had some very serious concerns about their children being exposed to the Vallow family circle (good on her!) and felt justified in taking her concerns to the police. So why in the world would Ian (who is now married to Melani at this point) insist on going with his ex-wife to see the police about it? Was it because he shared the same concerns? I find that highly doubtful, especially in light of later actions by IP. A more likely reason is either A) he wants to control the narrative - "Melani and her extended family are good people, I married into their family after all" or B) he wants to know what his ex-wife is telling authorities and/or what LE has to say about the situation of the missing children - he wants to find what all they know. Both motives don't show a concern for others, but rather a clear and distinct concern only for one's self. What a shock for him then to be "unexpectedly... met there by FBI agents." FBI involvement means this is on a whole new level and he likely feels stressed and pressured into going along with them and agreeing to wear a wire to help find the missing kids, even though he could probably care less about them. It's likely all about self-preservation for him at this point and he wants to appear like he is cooperating with the investigation and try to make it look like he's distancing himself from the group when in truth he's probably in up to his neck with them. Evidence of this is the fact that after wearing a wire for the FBI for two weeks, "which ultimately did not yield any information," Ian admits to Melani that he had been spying on her for the FBI, and decides he is no longer interested in cooperating with the FBI. So why in the world would he not have a desire to help the FBI find the missing children? The only reason I can see is that there is apparently a conflict of interest going on. Is Ian somehow personally involved with the missing children? Is he a fully committed member of the Vallow/Daybell group? Regardless of the reasoning it surely does look like it's purely out of a selfish motive of self-preservation or some other self-interest.
  • Melani's support of Lori. Why has Melani still been supportive of Lori "despite her arrest on felony charges of child desertion?" I get supporting family members and wanting to believe and/or hoping in the best for them. But isn't Tylee and JJ family too? Shouldn't Melani be concerned for the well-being and safety of her cousins? Especially since they are minor children, have been missing and endangered for nearly eight (8!) months, and nobody seems to know where they are? And Melani, of all people, who was practically raised by Lori herself, hasn't seen them and "does not know where the children are?" And she's not concerned in the slightest about that?!? Something is clearly not right here. Like in the above point about Ian, the only explanation for this is one of self-interest. Is Melani somehow involved in their disappearance? Does she know something incriminating? If she turns on Lori for the missing children can Lori turn on her for the attempt on BB's life? I suspect, whatever the case may be, that protecting/supporting Lori is, in fact, protecting/supporting Melani because she's deep in the middle of this dumpster fire of epic and tragic proportions. And she can't afford to (or at least feels that she can't) do anything but support Lori at the expense of everyone and everything else. How wrong she would be if that's her thought process.
  • Melani believes her new husband was "confused" for trying to help LE find the missing kids? In all seriousness, Melani "said she felt her husband was meaning to do the right thing, but was 'confused'?!?” What kind of perverted and twisted logic is that? How patronizing! How condescending! So, according to Melani, looking out for the safety and well-being of two missing and endangered kids, one of whom is not even old enough or even capable of caring for himself, is not "the right thing" to be doing? Like what the actual facepalm?!? Ian was simply "confused" when he tried to help the FBI track down and find out what happened to her missing cousins? Seriously?!? Melani admittedly and supposedly has no clue where the children are, or what happened to them, and she somehow thinks "the right thing" to do is shrug your shoulders and essentially say "oh well, not my problem?" What a shockingly egregious and deplorable thing for her to suggest! For her to entertain such a thought, let alone vocalize it to the whole world, clearly shows her lack of empathy for other people. She clearly only cares about herself and how Ian betrayed her for "meaning to do the right thing" by trying to find out what happened to these missing kids. But, according to her own words, he was in the wrong and "confused" for trying to help solve a crime involving missing children. I just can't even fathom such a callous and uncharitable attitude. Especially from someone who is a mother herself. Ugh!
  • Melani is still with Ian. So supposedly Ian and Melani are both recently divorced after years and years of marriage, both of them bringing several children into the world with their former spouses. They quickly remarry to each other after having only met and gotten to know one other over a two week period. And then supposedly Ian willingly and knowingly agrees to "working as an FBI informant" against Melani, Lori, and Chad for several weeks. He has a change of heart and mind during this time, apparently believing that his relationship with his new wife was more important to him than helping LE find two missing and endangered children. He eventually tells Melani about his role in spying on her and her family. She feels greatly betrayed, but they kiss and make up because Ian "was meaning to do the right thing," but was simply "confused." She lovingly and patiently explains the situation to him until he "started to see her perspective," and that "this is not all the hype it’s made out to be," but, strangely, if we take Melani at her own word, she can't even really explain what's truly going on because she hasn't seen the children and "she does not know where the children are." Someone is clearly being lied to here, and I believe it's the public. How would Melani be able to put Ian's mind and heart at ease that this whole case is all some great big misunderstanding, provide him with an explanation that satisfies his curiosity and concerns enough to stick with her and not provide any more help to the evil LE who are doing the wrong thing by trying to find Tylee and JJ, but she can't even provide a plain and simple explanation to the public about what's going on and admits that she doesn't even know where the kids are let alone if they are safe. Their story just doesn't make any sense. There's clearly more going on with them than they're letting on. Ian seems to be just as invested in their relationship as Melani is with him. And let's not forget that Melani, while not currently implicated with any involvement in BB's attempted murder, does have a criminal past and has been involved with at least criminal trespassing. So why is Ian sticking with Melani? She is recently divorced, has a lot of potential baggage following her what with custody disputes, an arrest record, potential involvement in attempted murder, has close family ties with people who come with their own set of baggage and criminal histories, and apparently has at least some insider information about the missing kids (enough to set his mind at ease at least). And why is Melani still sticking with Ian? Very similarly he is recently divorced, has a lot of potential baggage following him with potential custody disputes, a criminal record for DV, he betrayed her trust by spying on her for LE (or did he?), etc. And yet here they are both supporting each other and sticking together through their hurried wedding and all that swirls around them. Just like Chad and Lori. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
MOO, in case I need to say it again.

JMO
One thing that continues to baffle me about this case.

With so many murders, attempted murders, people who ended up dead under mysterious circumstances, and two missing children, all happening right around the time LV and CD got together, then why wasnt there an arrest much sooner and why arent more people behind bars with serious charges?

I have only one guess why that is and its only a guess so I could be way off base here. This case is bringing back memories of Lyle Jeffs and the craziness that went along with that case. I came away with the impression that certain local LE agencies that are close to certain religious cities and states that are known to have populations of the same denominations will almost protect them in a way. I think back to how the compound where LJ's followers were located were more or less protected where they were. It wasnt until lots of outside pressure was put on where LE and Child Protective Services finally did something and were able to access the compound and take some real actions.

I get a sense in this LV case that certain people in certain communities would always get the benefit of the doubt from their local LE so long as they claimed to be a part of a certain faith.

I may be way off base but its the only reason I can think of why LE could not put two and two together much sooner than now.

At least we have one behind bars but we still dont have anyone with a murder charge yet, even though at least three are already dead and two are missing.
There will be murder charges when there's enough evidence for a successful conviction, but not sooner. (IMO)

RSBM and BBM. And apologies in advance for the wall of text.

Some things about Melani and Ian's account have never sat right with me. Above I've bolded some of the things that bother me about their account, and here are some of my thoughts on them. All MOO, of course.

• The quick marriage. Who does that? Really? Two weeks from when they supposedly met and had a "first date?" I'll tell you who - Lori and Chad. And, as it turns out, evidence eventually turns up that they (Chad and Lori) knew each other much longer than the two week claim, and also that there was likely infidelity between them while their former spouses were still alive. While I'm not willing to say the same is true for Ian and Melani at this point, it is most certainly a cause for a "quick marriage" and something worth considering. I can almost certainly guarantee that nobody, especially in Latter-day Saint circles (even considering our focus on marriage and families), gets married after having only known each other for only two weeks. There has to be more to this story than what is being told. And none of it's good (thus why it's not being told).
  • Ian wanted to go to the police with his ex-wife. So his ex-wife had some very serious concerns about their children being exposed to the Vallow family circle (good on her!) and felt justified in taking her concerns to the police. So why in the world would Ian (who is now married to Melani at this point) insist on going with his ex-wife to see the police about it? Was it because he shared the same concerns? I find that highly doubtful, especially in light of later actions by IP. A more likely reason is either A) he wants to control the narrative - "Melani and her extended family are good people, I married into their family after all" or B) he wants to know what his ex-wife is telling authorities and/or what LE has to say about the situation of the missing children - he wants to find what all they know. Both motives don't show a concern for others, but rather a clear and distinct concern only for one's self. What a shock for him then to be "unexpectedly... met there by FBI agents." FBI involvement means this is on a whole new level and he likely feels stressed and pressured into going along with them and agreeing to wear a wire to help find the missing kids, even though he could probably care less about them. It's likely all about self-preservation for him at this point and he wants to appear like he is cooperating with the investigation and try to make it look like he's distancing himself from the group when in truth he's probably in up to his neck with them. Evidence of this is the fact that after wearing a wire for the FBI for two weeks, "which ultimately did not yield any information," Ian admits to Melani that he had been spying on her for the FBI, and decides he is no longer interested in cooperating with the FBI. So why in the world would he not have a desire to help the FBI find the missing children? The only reason I can see is that there is apparently a conflict of interest going on. Is Ian somehow personally involved with the missing children? Is he a fully committed member of the Vallow/Daybell group? Regardless of the reasoning it surely does look like it's purely out of a selfish motive of self-preservation or some other self-interest.
  • Melani's support of Lori. Why has Melani still been supportive of Lori "despite her arrest on felony charges of child desertion?" I get supporting family members and wanting to believe and/or hoping in the best for them. But isn't Tylee and JJ family too? Shouldn't Melani be concerned for the well-being and safety of her cousins? Especially since they are minor children, have been missing and endangered for nearly eight (8!) months, and nobody seems to know where they are? And Melani, of all people, who was practically raised by Lori herself, hasn't seen them and "does not know where the children are?" And she's not concerned in the slightest about that?!? Something is clearly not right here. Like in the above point about Ian, the only explanation for this is one of self-interest. Is Melani somehow involved in their disappearance? Does she know something incriminating? If she turns on Lori for the missing children can Lori turn on her for the attempt on BB's life? I suspect, whatever the case may be, that protecting/supporting Lori is, in fact, protecting/supporting Melani because she's deep in the middle of this dumpster fire of epic and tragic proportions. And she can't afford to (or at least feels that she can't) do anything but support Lori at the expense of everyone and everything else. How wrong she would be if that's her thought process.
  • Melani believes her new husband was "confused" for trying to help LE find the missing kids? In all seriousness, Melani "said she felt her husband was meaning to do the right thing, but was 'confused'?!?” What kind of perverted and twisted logic is that? How patronizing! How condescending! So, according to Melani, looking out for the safety and well-being of two missing and endangered kids, one of whom is not even old enough or even capable of caring for himself, is not "the right thing" to be doing? Like what the actual facepalm?!? Ian was simply "confused" when he tried to help the FBI track down and find out what happened to her missing cousins? Seriously?!? Melani admittedly and supposedly has no clue where the children are, or what happened to them, and she somehow thinks "the right thing" to do is shrug your shoulders and essentially say "oh well, not my problem?" What a shockingly egregious and deplorable thing for her to suggest! For her to entertain such a thought, let alone vocalize it to the whole world, clearly shows her lack of empathy for other people. She clearly only cares about herself and how Ian betrayed her for "meaning to do the right thing" by trying to find out what happened to these missing kids. But, according to her own words, he was in the wrong and "confused" for trying to help solve a crime involving missing children. I just can't even fathom such a callous and uncharitable attitude. Especially from someone who is a mother herself. Ugh!
  • Melani is still with Ian. So supposedly Ian and Melani are both recently divorced after years and years of marriage, both of them bringing several children into the world with their former spouses. They quickly remarry to each other after having only met and gotten to know one other over a two week period. And then supposedly Ian willingly and knowingly agrees to "working as an FBI informant" against Melani, Lori, and Chad for several weeks. He has a change of heart and mind during this time, apparently believing that his relationship with his new wife was more important to him than helping LE find two missing and endangered children. He eventually tells Melani about his role in spying on her and her family. She feels greatly betrayed, but they kiss and make up because Ian "was meaning to do the right thing," but was simply "confused." She lovingly and patiently explains the situation to him until he "started to see her perspective," and that "this is not all the hype it’s made out to be," but, strangely, if we take Melani at her own word, she can't even really explain what's truly going on because she hasn't seen the children and "she does not know where the children are." Someone is clearly being lied to here, and I believe it's the public. How would Melani be able to put Ian's mind and heart at ease that this whole case is all some great big misunderstanding, provide him with an explanation that satisfies his curiosity and concerns enough to stick with her and not provide any more help to the evil LE who are doing the wrong thing by trying to find Tylee and JJ, but she can't even provide a plain and simple explanation to the public about what's going on and admits that she doesn't even know where the kids are let alone if they are safe. Their story just doesn't make any sense. There's clearly more going on with them than they're letting on. Ian seems to be just as invested in their relationship as Melani is with him. And let's not forget that Melani, while not currently implicated with any involvement in BB's attempted murder, does have a criminal past and has been involved with at least criminal trespassing. So why is Ian sticking with Melani? She is recently divorced, has a lot of potential baggage following her what with custody disputes, an arrest record, potential involvement in attempted murder, has close family ties with people who come with their own set of baggage and criminal histories, and apparently has at least some insider information about the missing kids (enough to set his mind at ease at least). And why is Melani still sticking with Ian? Very similarly he is recently divorced, has a lot of potential baggage following him with potential custody disputes, a criminal record for DV, he betrayed her trust by spying on her for LE (or did he?), etc. And yet here they are both supporting each other and sticking together through their hurried wedding and all that swirls around them. Just like Chad and Lori. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
MOO, in case I need to say it again.

JMO
The one thing from the Dateline episode that I am wondering about is whether an agreement of some sort was made between LE and Ian for him to wear the wire.

I dont see him doing that out of the kindness of his heart so I have to wonder if LE asked him to wear a wire and in return they may have agreed not to press charges on him for something that they may have found out about.

Afterall he was just recently married and that would risk the marriage itself once the other finds out about it because it proves he did not fully trust her.

Take for example a drug case informant that was asked to wear a wire. Usually the situation involves LE promising something to the person in return for their cooperation. Like they would get a lesser charge or no charges so long as they can help bring down the big fish.

I have to wonder if something similar was proposed to him that made him agree to wear the wire.

If so, I wonder what the agreement was and wonder if he did enough to make the agreement stand or not.

If he did it solely out of the kindness of his heart and to help LE try to find out where the kids are, then he risked his marriage to do it.
Unless he told her the very minute he walked in the door. In that case, he really wasnt helping LE and was trying to fool them instead of fooling her.

Either way, I dont trust either one of them anymore after watching that Dateline episode. :)

Last edited:
JMO
The one thing from the Dateline episode that I am wondering about is whether an agreement of some sort was made between LE and Ian for him to wear the wire.

I dont see him doing that out of the kindness of his heart so I have to wonder if LE asked him to wear a wire and in return they may have agreed not to press charges on him for something that they may have found out about.

Afterall he was just recently married and that would risk the marriage itself once the other finds out about it because it proves he did not fully trust her.

Take for example a drug case informant that was asked to wear a wire. Usually the situation involves LE promising something to the person in return for their cooperation. Like they would get a lesser charge or no charges so long as they can help bring down the big fish.

I have to wonder if something similar was proposed to him that made him agree to wear the wire.

If so, I wonder what the agreement was and wonder if he did enough to make the agreement stand or not.

If he did it solely out of the kindness of his heart and to help LE try to find out where the kids are, then he risked his marriage to do it.
Unless he told her the very minute he walked in the door. In that case, he really wasnt helping LE and was trying to fool them instead of fooling her.

Either way, I dont trust either one of them anymore after watching that Dateline episode. :)
They are small fry and it is Lori and Chad they need to know about so by wearing the wire he may have got the important info that FBI needed. They will have a lot of digital info so will be able to compare all that to the info IP got on the wire, especially if he taped conversations with the POI's. Do we know the exact dates he wore the wire?

Sorry but I don’t believe a word that comes out of Melani’s mouth. She is trying to act all innocent and say she had no idea what was going on. So fake.
I totally agree with you. I watched the entire show and she just came off as being deceptive and that smirk that is identical to Lori's is very repulsive to me. If I was her husband I would surely watch my back.

1000% Agree-- I filled my hubby in on the case about an hour before this aired tonight and he is watching it with me.
Through the whole episode --he and I both keep saying every time Melani comes on the show..she is LYING... what a bunch of BS..UGH
Yep, I'm beginning to think that Melani knows exactly what happened to the children.

iCourt Portal - Online records & payments for the Idaho courts
CR33-20-0302 | State of Idaho Plaintiff, vs. Lori Norene Vallow Defendant.
  • 05/01/2020 Motion

Comment
    to quash

• 05/01/2020 Affidavit in Support of Motion

Comment
    Affidavit of Schindele in Support of Motion to Quash with attachments

• 05/01/2020 Memorandum In Support of Motion

Comment
    to Quash
*** I am adding this part of file that updated this morning on Fridays ruling..

Mostly for the word:
"Quash"
verb
  1. reject or void, especially by legal procedure.

This! How anybody can watch that body camera and not think something doesn't smell right is beyond me!

And we weren't even there to take in the entirety of the situation.

They basically took Alex's word for it and said welp ok
Yesssssssssss. I was grinding my teeth watching Alex dabbing his head trying to make it bleed.

I have some doubts about Ian. Maybe he told Melani he was wired and to be careful because things she said could be misconstrued. Maybe he thinks She is 100% innocent and was trying to help her cause.

Or maybe he knows she is involved and is protecting her.

The fact that he wore a wire and she is still with him is very very strange.

Ugh ok, someone please fill me in-did I miss something and Ian and the wire and Melani knowing?
Any man who will marry a woman after knowing her for a whole 13 days doesn't exactly come across as an Einstein.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07