Found Deceased NC - Stephanie Mayorga, 27, & Paige Escalera, 25, Wilmington, 15 Apr 2020

Well there you go. "Deep in the woods" was the start of LE doing some CYA, IMO, because the car should have been found MUCH sooner. Tragic. So sorry for the families and friends of these women.
From pics and video it appears to be a populated area and well traveled and no one saw it or smelled anything for 2 weeks.

And then as soon as these 2 were reported missing, the officers on duty that night didn't put 2 and 2 together and go back and search again? Or, is that what led them to this spot?.....Officers recalling what they were dispatched to check out 2 weeks ago? I'm very pro-LE but this just seems......not good.

Not only did LE fail to properly investigate on the 15th when the 911 call was given out, the witness that believed saw the high speed crash should have re-contacted LE with the tip of what he witnessed once the missing persons info was spread. I am so, so sorry for these women and their families. Lives maybe could have been saved with prompt medical attention.
Personally, I do not hold the 911 caller responsible whatsoever. According to Wilmington PD’s Facebook post, the person even waited and met with the First Responders at the scene. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the same individual called the WPD after hearing about Stephanie and Paige’s disappearance and that was what sent LE to that particular location yesterday.

Glad they have been found. Terrible tragedy. It is also disheartening to see how many people on this site NEED to assign blame. LE are only human, people that call in to 9/11 only human. For the most part, they are trying their best. Especially in missing person cases. Some members here expect PERFECTION at all times from all involved in investigating. A little compassion and empathy goes a long way.

I don't blame anyone for this. It was an ACCIDENT. Tragic that lives were lost, but their bodies have been found and they can be laid to rest.
Expecting everyone to be found/saved the second they are in harms way is unrealistic and setting yourself up to always be disappointed.

IMO

Yesterday, on YouTube, there was a picture and a map showing where their car was found. I noticed a very sharp curve, also, I am confused about what is meant by "deep in the woods" as there were some woods nearby but not very much. By looking at the picture of the woods, this one part could be seen as very woody, but there was also a bridge nearby, a small pond and an apartment complex. The patch of trees was thick but a very small group. I think about their last movements, buying 21 dollars of snacks, the time of night it was, it looked "uneventful", we'll never know exactly what was going on. It appeared as if they were planning and working towards their future, I did read that Paige's sister said that she easily and frequently became ill, one of them said that they found the one "to hold her hand" the rest of her life, I believe that. The fact that they were blocking friends from social sites, though, leads me to think that something else may of been going on or not and it all was an accident of some sort.

They maybe stating "deep in the woods" as a bit of damage control as to why the car was not found sooner considering the accident was actually reported by the 911 caller, it doesn't look good that it took them this long to find.

Wilmington PD Press Release
News Release
Wilmington Police Department – River Road
Tuesday, May 5, 2020 - 12:30 pm

Wilmington, NC — Wilmington Police are confirming that the car found yesterday just off River Road is registered to 25-year-old Paige Escalera. The car was found just after 3 p.m. outside the Watermark Marina with two unidentified bodies inside. The grey 2013 Dodge Dart was deep in the woods and covered in vegetation. While the investigation continues, police believe the car may have been involved in an extremely high velocity crash. 911 records show that on April 15, police, fire, and EMS were dispatched to this area just before midnight. A caller advised that they saw a car in their rear view mirror heading west on Independence Boulevard, going at a high rate of speed, possibly hitting a wall and then going into the wooded area. When First-Responders arrived they met with the caller and searched the area with flashlights. However they were unable to find any sign of a collision and no one with injuries. Police have now broadened this investigation to include a traffic crash.

Both bodies are scheduled to undergo an autopsy in the coming days. We will release information as as it becomes available. This case remains under investigation.

so I know that hindsight is 20/20 and we're in a really weird and terrible time with COVID 19, but wasn't this just 12 minutes from their apartment? And nobody thought to put the two together until now (or I guess maybe technically 1-2 days ago)? Even regardless of the reports of S and P being missing, it's kind of crazy that on that night, people were aware of some kind of possible crash and after searching for a little bit without finding anything just said oh well and moved on. Again, hindsight I know, they may have thought that a car did crash but then sped away. But geez it's just so...ugh.

I hope everyone can remember this and learn from it

Glad they have been found. Terrible tragedy. It is also disheartening to see how many people on this site NEED to assign blame. LE are only human, people that call in to 9/11 only human. For the most part, they are trying their best. Especially in missing person cases. Some members here expect PERFECTION at all times from all involved in investigating. A little compassion and empathy goes a long way.

I don't blame anyone for this. It was an ACCIDENT. Tragic that lives were lost, but their bodies have been found and they can be laid to rest.
Expecting everyone to be found/saved the second they are in harms way is unrealistic and setting yourself up to always be disappointed.

IMO

I do agree with you, however I also don't see anything wrong with analyzing the mistakes and taking them as a learning opportunity.

100mph sounds excessive, even for late night speeding.

It could have been an accident (most likely), but an annoying part of me still wonders if it was deliberate. Only because when I was in an abusive relationship, my partner did disturbing things like suddenly accelerate, threatening to kill us both. One time he took us to the top of a parking building, and repeatedly revved the engine as if he was preparing to drive us off the edge. He claimed he couldn't live without me, but that I was doing things that made him doubt I loved him. It was a terrifying experience.

I'm getting those vibes again. JMO.

It could have been an accident (most likely), but an annoying part of me still wonders if it was deliberate. Only because when I was in an abusive relationship, my partner did disturbing things like suddenly accelerate, threatening to kill us both. One time he took us to the top of a parking building, and repeatedly revved the engine as if he was preparing to drive us off the edge. He claimed he couldn't live without me, but that I was doing things that made him doubt I loved him. It was a terrifying experience.

@ZoriahNZ I've not been in your situation and I'm sorry for your experiences. I have been in a situation where the driver of a car was angry or having a heated discussion with a passenger and drove too fast as an extension of the rage process, which is in the same ballpark as what you described.

I would also say I knew of a case where a person was distracted while driving, overcorrected, lost control of the car and pressed the accelerator in a panic. The car went off the highway and down an embankment but I think a passerby might have described it as a high velocity crash for that reason.

Hmmmmm...there is a wedding venue just ahead of where the car left the road - Events at Watermark 4114 River Rd
Whatever the reason Stephanie was driving so fast, which may never be known, it's such a sad, sad ending.

Well if the reports are true, didnt the police take about two weeks before they really started looking? So it probably took time for them to remember ? The 911 caller did their duty, they call the cops, the cops went to search. Should they have gone in the woods and searched themselves?

IMO
FWIW, I don't blame anybody. It's nobody's fault besides perhaps the speeding driver. I do think LE probably made an error not searching the area more thoroughly, and some of their statements may be phrased in a way to minimize that error.

With all due respect, according to the timelines in MSM reports in previous posts they'd only had their job at the roofing company one day, the day they went missing being their first day of employment. In my opinion any drug use was recreational and not related to a "career" in construction.

me too

imo this was a murder suicide at worst
suicide pact at best.

moo

Call me crazy, but I still don't feel like this was an accident. It could be though. But it's a really big coincidence that the one girl that had her phone and an assault charge was driving, and the girl that left her phone back home with everyone that cared about her blocked was the passenger. If they hit a wall how could they have gone so far into the woods or whatever? I hope they fully investigate it and find out if the brakes were used. Just saying. Also, is the place where they were found on the way to their home? Where does the store they went to fit on that route? It's very tragic and I feel really bad for their families.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back