Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #54

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scotland sees first weekly fall in virus deaths

Scotland sees first weekly fall in coronavirus deaths

The number of people dying with coronavirus in Scotland has fallen for the first time, according to new statistics.

Data from the National Records of Scotland (NRS) showed that the virus was mentioned in 523 death certificates in the week to 3 May.

This was lower than the 656 deaths that were recorded the previous week.

NRS said it was the first weekly reduction in the number of deaths since reporting began on 16 March.

The latest figures bring the total number of people who have died with a confirmed or suspected case of the virus to 2,795.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said the fall in the death rate "gives us some hope", but said "our progress, while real, is still too fragile to immediately ease restrictions in any meaningful way".

Of the 523 deaths recorded in the week to 3 May which were linked to the virus, 59% were in care homes, with 37% in hospitals.

However the number of deaths in care homes actually fell slightly, from 339 to 310.

The proportion of all deaths in Scotland which involved coronavirus also fell week on week, from 36% to 31%.

And the number of people being treated for the virus in hospital and in intensive care units has also fallen.

Pete Whitehouse, director of statistical services for the NRS, said this was "the first time there has been a reduction in Covid-19 related deaths from the previous week".

However he stressed that "every death from this virus is a tragedy".

Three-quarters of all Covid-19 deaths in Scotland have been of people aged over 75, with only 19 people under the age of 45 having died.

I mean, did you read the follow up link that the authors wrote in light of the virus?

idk why it seems like some people are so negative about homemade cloth masks. For most people, that’s all they have (or at one point, had) access to. Masks are to protect others from YOUR germs.
According to this and other studies I’ve seen, cloth masks can block 73% of .02 micron particles. (It doesn’t show results for .03.) Now, add to that the studies on blue shop towels, if you are using a cloth mask with that as a filter, you’ve got some decent protection.

What Are The Best Materials for Making DIY Masks? - Smart Air Filters

Yes, they need to fit properly and be worn properly. But they are not useless.

And then there’s this:

Face masks and coronavirus: Asia may have been right and the rest of the world is coming around - CNN

Burch pointed to a Cochrane Review -- a systemic analysis of published studies on a given topic -- which found strong evidence during the 2003 SARS epidemic in support of wearing masks. One study of community transmission in Beijing found that "consistently wearing a mask in public was associated with a 70% reduction in the risk of catching SARS."

ETA

Writing last month, Adrien Burch, an expert in microbiology at the University of California, Berkeley, noted that "despite hearing that face masks 'don't work,' you probably haven't seen any strong evidence to support that claim. That's because it doesn't exist."
In fact, there is evidence of the exact opposite: that masks help prevent viral infections like the current pandemic.

So this is how South Korea got on top of Coronavirus. Accurate testing and early identification.

World should follow S. Korea's example on Covid-19 fight, UN chief says

And they had no lockdown. Germany followed their model.

South Korea conquered coronavirus without a lockdown: a model to follow?

Data, to be of any use, must quickly identify the super-spreader. South Korea identified a super-spreading event, attendance at a specific mega-church gathering. Putting aside the Constitutional issues as political discussion (and I know it is hard to put aside), action was taken that was successful in achieving South Korea's priority, which is containment. A plainly written article by a foreign paper linked above was able to describe a simple event, the response taken and the result. In a matter of fact, uncomplicated way. How refreshing.

Highly aggregated data is useless. My state website in CT provides aggregated daily testing results that are basically useless in identifying a super-spreading event. For example, of the May 5, 2020 increase in tests reported of +3,313, how many of those cases tested positive? Dunno. The +648 increase in COVID-19 cases reported that same day tells me exactly nothing about a super-spreader or super-spreading event. If I was given more granular data, i.e. Bob, the EMT, was tested three times, once every 14 days for the past 42 days, and the results were negative each time, does that tell me anything more? Yes. Things are normal and good.

Additional data that CT provided awhile back was also useful. The # of COVID-19 deaths broken down by nursing home name and town was useful because there was context to the numbers. A complete list of CT nursing homes (at least those federally funded) was provided. Half of the state's reported COVID-19 deaths came from this list. New York and New Jersey took notice as the nursing home focus in the Governors' speeches sharpened soon thereafter. MOO.

Coronavirus

I also just added another link to the face mask thread. Professionals who are making PPE have shared a pattern, their list of supplies, and the results of their tests. My post is below.

Facial Mask Making - Coronavirus

This pattern has the chin piece and has been tested. Here are the filtering results

When we made the masks out of the following materials they filtered out 87% of particles based on the Portacount fit test:
+ One layer of oil absorbent towel + one layer of shop towel (Zep, Wypall or Toolbox brands)
+ Two layers of shop towel (Zep, Wypall, or Toolbox brands

When we made the mask out of t ight woven cotton and added the o ptional pocket piece, filling it with any of the following filters, the mask filtered out 82% of particles based on the Portacount fit test:
-W ypall X80 Towel
-Z epShopTowel
-T oolboxShopTowel

When we made the mask out of t ight woven cotton and added the o ptional pocket piece, filling it with the following filter, the mask filtered out 70% of particles based on the Portacount fit test: -S cottShopTowel

When we made the mask out of t ight woven cotton and added the o ptional insert piece and filleditwithn ofilters,themaskfilteredout52%ofparticlesbasedonthePortacountfittest.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0050/2474/3524/files/Suay_Mask_Pattern_1.1.pdf?v=1586398631

I got the link from this article. Here are the instructions for a better-fitting homemade mask that can filter particles 2x better than cotton, created by three clothing designers

In Thailand, each new case is given a number and information is published in the media as to which positive case they are presumed to have contracted the infection. Interesting. For all to see, now that is transparency.

Last edited:
WHO on why you can test positive for coronavirus twice

"Dr Maria Van Kerkhove of the World Health Organisation (WHO) says some people are testing positive more than once for coronavirus - but it doesn't mean they have been reinfected.

Speaking on The Andrew Marr Show, she said doctors were finding instances where "dead cells" that emerged during the healing process of the lungs were testing positive for Covid-19, but the individuals themselves were not reinfected."

And then we have this:

South Carolina woman busted for licking hands, touching grocery store food

By Joshua Rhett Miller

May 4, 2020 | 1:11pm | Updated

https://nypost.com/2020/05/04/sc-woman-busted-in-alleged-supermarket-saliva-spreading-spree/

Shenir Gibson Holliday, 38, was taken into custody Saturday after cops responded to an IGA supermarket in Sumter, where she was spotted on surveillance footage allegedly licking her hands and coughing before touching freezer doors and several products, police said Sunday.

She was identified as a suspect in a similar “hand-licking” incident at a sandwich shop in Sumter last week, police said.

A manager at Sub Station II told police that Holliday was caught on video there licking her fingers before paying a clerk at the eatery. She also allegedly spread her saliva on a debit machine and licked several quarters before dropping them into a tip jar, The State reports.

Holliday is facing charges of aggravated breach of peace and food tampering. She was also issued a citation for violating the state’s home or work order and has been ordered by a judge to be tested for COVID-19, police said.

Holliday remained in custody Monday in lieu of $100,000 bond, jail records show.

If convicted of food tampering, a felony, Holliday could receive a maximum sentence of 20 years. She faces up to 10 years if convicted of aggravated breach of peace, The State reports.

:confused::mad::confused::mad:

am I the only one that thinks she is the one most in danger? The rest of us are already acting like someone has licked and coughed on all surfaces, lol. That is why we madly disinfect ourselves and anything that comes inside.

I hope she gets jail time, though.

am I the only one that thinks she is the one most in danger? The rest of us are already acting like someone has licked and coughed on all surfaces, lol. That is why we madly disinfect ourselves and anything that comes inside.

I hope she gets jail time, though.
What in the heck? I don’t know what to say.
About as bizarre as the woman who got in the water to see an alligator up close.
Also in SC.

What in the heck? I don’t know what to say.
About as bizarre as the woman who got in the water to see an alligator up close.
Also in SC.
Purposely soiling public places makes me think this is a mental illness. Uncontrolled and irrational anger, imo. I'm not qualified to diagnose, just my armchair assessment. There are people who poop and pee to soil public places and I think this is the same sort of thing.

jmo

"A community health center treating Native Americans in the Seattle area issued an urgent call for medical supplies to local, state and federal agencies – but instead received 'a box of body bags,' according to a report....

'We asked for tests, and they sent us a box of body bags....'

The federal government has an obligation to provide health care to all Native Americans according to longstanding treaties with Indian tribes."

https://nypost.com/2020/05/06/native-american-health-center-receives-body-bags-not-supplies/

bbm

"Overall, we rate One America News Far-right biased based on story selection that consistently favors the Right and Mixed for factual reporting due to the promotion of conspiracies, lack of sourcing, and a several failed fact checks. OANN is one failed fact check away from moving to the Questionable Source list."

One America News Network (OAN) - Media Bias/Fact Check

Scotland sees first weekly fall in virus deaths

Scotland sees first weekly fall in coronavirus deaths

The number of people dying with coronavirus in Scotland has fallen for the first time, according to new statistics.

Data from the National Records of Scotland (NRS) showed that the virus was mentioned in 523 death certificates in the week to 3 May.

This was lower than the 656 deaths that were recorded the previous week.

NRS said it was the first weekly reduction in the number of deaths since reporting began on 16 March.

The latest figures bring the total number of people who have died with a confirmed or suspected case of the virus to 2,795.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said the fall in the death rate "gives us some hope", but said "our progress, while real, is still too fragile to immediately ease restrictions in any meaningful way".

Of the 523 deaths recorded in the week to 3 May which were linked to the virus, 59% were in care homes, with 37% in hospitals.

However the number of deaths in care homes actually fell slightly, from 339 to 310.

The proportion of all deaths in Scotland which involved coronavirus also fell week on week, from 36% to 31%.

And the number of people being treated for the virus in hospital and in intensive care units has also fallen.

Pete Whitehouse, director of statistical services for the NRS, said this was "the first time there has been a reduction in Covid-19 related deaths from the previous week".

However he stressed that "every death from this virus is a tragedy".

Three-quarters of all Covid-19 deaths in Scotland have been of people aged over 75, with only 19 people under the age of 45 having died.
So out of 2,795 deaths, only 19 were under 45. That's only 1.7%. With 75% being over 75, that means only 23% aged between 45 and 75 yo. 59% of these deaths were in care homes ( ie 1,677 )

This is very sad if this percentage ends up being an overall percentage figure of care home and elderly deaths across the USA and Europe.

So out of 2,795 deaths, only 19 were under 45. That's only 1.7%. With 75% being over 75, that means only 23% aged between 45 and 75 yo. 59% of these deaths were in care homes ( ie 1,677 )

This is very sad if this percentage ends up being an overall percentage figure of care home and elderly deaths across the USA and Europe.
I think we need to face the horrible fact that we have failed our elders.

We need to remedy that immediately.

jmo

"Mayor Bill de Blasio said Wednesday he’ll have to start furloughing or laying off essential municipal employees if the city doesn’t receive federal stimulus funds to fill budget gaps caused by the coronavirus pandemic....

'...the exact people who have been the heroes in this crisis who we should be celebrating and supporting — first responders, the health care workers, the educators,' de Blasio said on CNN’s 'New Day'...

President Trump told The Post in an exclusive interview Monday that cash-strapped states run by Democrats, such as New York, shouldn’t expect a bailout because it would be unfair to Republicans."

https://nypost.com/2020/05/06/nyc-preparing-to-furlough-or-layoff-some-workers-de-blasio/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa