Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #54

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suze Orman. She used to have a weekly show where she often repeated her mantra. 9 Month Emergency Fund. Everyone should have one. She had a segment called "Can I Afford It." God how I miss that. Unless it was health related, or a valid reason, if someone did not have enough liquid or close to liquid money in their account, she would "Deny" them. If they met that part, she would look at their retirement savings, depending upon how close they were to retirement, and sometimes deny based on that.

Any guesses as to the % of the population that has a 9 Month Emergency Fund? Or a 1 Month Fund?

And come on, look at homemade masks, or even surgical masks. They don't seal to the face, there are gaps on the sides, there are gap at the bridge of the nose. Air is going to escape and get in. So how much are they really helping? Either you or those around you? Certainly not a 100 %.
My hubby and I have been using his construction dust masks. They're shaped like the N95 but don't have the better filter system. They do fit and seal around the face though.

And come on, look at homemade masks, or even surgical masks. They don't seal to the face, there are gaps on the sides, there are gap at the bridge of the nose. Air is going to escape and get in. So how much are they really helping? Either you or those around you? Certainly not a 100 %.
So are you saying if they help 90% or 80% or even 50%, they're not worthwhile? I don't recall anyone saying that they're 100%. Even the Medical grade ones are not 100%, which is why there are medical personnel contracting the virus even though they're taking precautions.

NYC Boy Had No Underlying Conditions — 5 Days Later, He Was on a Ventilator After Cardiac Arrest

Jayden Hardowar had been a seemingly healthy 8-year-old living in Richmond Hill, Queens, with his parents and three siblings. His mother, Navita, and father, Roup, said he was an active child who enjoyed biking and rollerblading. The 8-year-old Cub Scout had no underlying conditions, and no one in the family was thought to have been exposed to the coronavirus.

In late April, Jayden started having a fever and bouts of diarrhea. His parents took him to his pediatrician, and soon after he appeared to be responding well to Tylenol. Navita Hardowar said that his temperature broke after a few days, and he never showed any shortness of breath. Although his father said Jayden's strength hadn't really come back, they weren't overly worried as they believed it may be due to diarrhea.

"His body strength started to go down, he started to become a little bit weak," Roup Hardowar, Jayden's father and an employee for Con Edison, said. "We followed up with his pediatrician, and they thought that he would come around, maybe because he wasn't eating a lot."

On April 29, Jayden was in bed when he called for his mother. Navita said she got in the bed and turned on the TV when she heard him call out again for her, softly — which concerned her.

"I heard him call for mommy. Jayden has a strong voice when he calls for mommy, (but) his voice was very low," Navita said. "That voice grabbed my attention."

The mother said she moved closer into the bed, and noticed her child's head and hands were twisted in an unorthodox position backward.

"I quickly looked over at his face and his lips were all blue at that point, so right away I knew something was not right here with Jayden," Navita said. She started yelling his name, but he was not responding.

Struggling to find a pulse, Roup and Jayden's older brother Tyrone — a 15-year-old Boy Scout — began performing CPR as Navita called 911. She said the ambulance arrived within two minutes, and was soon rushing Jayden to Jamaica Hospital.

"As we moved on Atlantic Avenue, all I'm thinking in my mind is Jayden — is he gonna make it? Is he gonna make it?" said Roup.

From there he was transferred to Cohen Children's Hospital in Nassau County — where NBC New York first reported there have already been about 40 similar pediatric patients — and quickly was put on a ventilator in the intensive care unit.

“We are seeing these patients. We just admitted another two (Sunday) night. I have six in my intensive care unit right now who fit this criteria. And these kids can be very ill. What’s most alarming is when they develop this syndrome, the blood vessels can be affected and it can lead to severe heart illness," said Dr. James Schneider, head of pediatric critical care at the hospital.

It took just five days for an overall healthy boy to go from playing games and singing to requiring a machine to help him breathe for several days, unable to speak to his parents who tried to video chat with him from his hospital bed. His parents said he has inflammation and suffered from cardiac arrest and heart failure.

"It's still a nightmare thinking of where Jayden is right now. Last week about this time, we were all together having dinner, playing, working from home, teaching from home, learning from home," said Navita, a public school teacher. "One of the scariest things as a mother, we're at home thinking something like this will never happen to us."

The Long Island hospital performed multiple tests on Jayden, his parents said, and all came back negative — an encouraging sign, they thought. But after conducting the antibody test, doctors said the young boy had contracted COVID-19 at an earlier time.

The rest of the article and video

NYC Boy Had No Underlying Conditions — 5 Days Later, He Was on a Ventilator After Cardiac Arrest

Scott Gotlieb, former head of the FDA and a New York City emergency room physician, said the new cases appear to disprove the previous notion that coronavirus "wasn't really affecting kids."

16 year-old girl, Queens Village
Girl, 16, was losing COVID-19 fight. A bold step helped to save her.

Last edited:
A lot of people are mistrustful of stats coming out of China but perhaps one reason for their low infection rate could be because everyone wears a mask, even when there isn't a virus. Mask wearing has become a kind of cultural identity in Asian countries like China, South Korea and Japan. It's an identity that rooted in a Taoism philosophy and ancient Chinese medicine that breath and breathing is a central element of good health.

Western culture sees face coverings of any kind to go again the grain of our beliefs of open and direct interaction with others. Wearing hoods, masks or veils suggest foreignness, subterfuge and lack of good intent.

But where the two cultures can become one is the realization that the very thing that sustains our own life: breathing, can impact another so greatly. That's why we are outraged when someone, like the woman in NC purposely coughed on others and licked change during a pandemic. So we have to do some internal self assessment of our belief system when it comes to who we share the planet with.

There are still those that choose not to wear a seatbelt while riding in a car, those who choose not to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle and those who choose not to eat healthy food. It's their right, I suppose, since the argument is that their choices affect only themselves. That's a debatable point; there is always collateral damage from those choices.

I wear a homemade mask. I know it's not perfect. I am still waiting for my masks I ordered nearly a month ago. But when I go out I'd like to believe I'm doing my part to ensure those I come in contact with can breathe a little easier when they see I am attempting to ensure their safety.

I have a cloth mask I bought at a 7-Eleven in Seoul. Wearing a mask is perfectly normal there, kids and adults alike, and I had a cold and needed to take a four hour bus trip. I still have it, so that’s been handy! On any given day pre-pandemic you would see a number of people wearing masks right across Asia. It could be because of pollution, or because they’re unwell and don’t want to pass it on, or because they don’t want to get sick.

Also, temperature scanning has been common in Asian airports since SARS. The kind you just walk through.

eta: It was bad enough before I learned she wasn't even given bail!:eek: jmo
She wasn't given bail because when they offered it, they also asked whether she was going to open right back up, and she said "Absolutely." That's essentially asking someone guilty of a crime what the first thing they planned on doing if released, and they replied, "Commit another crime of course."

So are you saying if they help 90% or 80% or even 50%, they're not worthwhile? I don't recall anyone saying that they're 100%. Even the Medical grade ones are not 100%, which is why there are medical personnel contracting the virus even though they're taking precautions.
No, that's not what I am saying. Some cities like San Francisco are not counting valved N95 masks as masks because they are not filtering exhaled air. But cloth masks and even surgical masks aren't filtering all the exhaled air either, because they have gaps between the mask and the face (they don't seal to the face).

Jayden Hardowar had been a seemingly healthy 8-year-old living in Richmond Hill, Queens, with his parents and three siblings. His mother, Navita, and father, Roup, said he was an active child who enjoyed biking and rollerblading. The 8-year-old Cub Scout had no underlying conditions, and no one in the family was thought to have been exposed to the coronavirus.

In late April, Jayden started having a fever and bouts of diarrhea. His parents took him to his pediatrician, and soon after he appeared to be responding well to Tylenol. Navita Hardowar said that his temperature broke after a few days, and he never showed any shortness of breath. Although his father said Jayden's strength hadn't really come back, they weren't overly worried as they believed it may be due to diarrhea.

"His body strength started to go down, he started to become a little bit weak," Roup Hardowar, Jayden's father and an employee for Con Edison, said. "We followed up with his pediatrician, and they thought that he would come around, maybe because he wasn't eating a lot."

On April 29, Jayden was in bed when he called for his mother. Navita said she got in the bed and turned on the TV when she heard him call out again for her, softly — which concerned her.

"I heard him call for mommy. Jayden has a strong voice when he calls for mommy, (but) his voice was very low," Navita said. "That voice grabbed my attention."

The mother said she moved closer into the bed, and noticed her child's head and hands were twisted in an unorthodox position backward.

"I quickly looked over at his face and his lips were all blue at that point, so right away I knew something was not right here with Jayden," Navita said. She started yelling his name, but he was not responding.

Struggling to find a pulse, Roup and Jayden's older brother Tyrone — a 15-year-old Boy Scout — began performing CPR as Navita called 911. She said the ambulance arrived within two minutes, and was soon rushing Jayden to Jamaica Hospital.

"As we moved on Atlantic Avenue, all I'm thinking in my mind is Jayden — is he gonna make it? Is he gonna make it?" said Roup.

From there he was transferred to Cohen Children's Hospital in Nassau County — where NBC New York first reported there have already been about 40 similar pediatric patients — and quickly was put on a ventilator in the intensive care unit.

“We are seeing these patients. We just admitted another two (Sunday) night. I have six in my intensive care unit right now who fit this criteria. And these kids can be very ill. What’s most alarming is when they develop this syndrome, the blood vessels can be affected and it can lead to severe heart illness," said Dr. James Schneider, head of pediatric critical care at the hospital.

It took just five days for an overall healthy boy to go from playing games and singing to requiring a machine to help him breathe for several days, unable to speak to his parents who tried to video chat with him from his hospital bed. His parents said he has inflammation and suffered from cardiac arrest and heart failure.

"It's still a nightmare thinking of where Jayden is right now. Last week about this time, we were all together having dinner, playing, working from home, teaching from home, learning from home," said Navita, a public school teacher. "One of the scariest things as a mother, we're at home thinking something like this will never happen to us."

The Long Island hospital performed multiple tests on Jayden, his parents said, and all came back negative — an encouraging sign, they thought. But after conducting the antibody test, doctors said the young boy had contracted COVID-19 at an earlier time.

The rest of the article and video

Scott Gotlieb, former head of the FDA and a New York City emergency room physician, said the new cases appear to disprove the previous notion that coronavirus "wasn't really affecting kids."

16 year-old girl, Queens Village
Girl, 16, was losing COVID-19 fight. A bold step helped to save her.
Perhaps just a coincidence, but two stories posted here about the kids in NY have mentioned 8yo Boy Scouts.

jmo

Could it be that isolating and staying at home basically ensured cross infections within families? Close quarters and potentially high viral loads. Still trying to figure out what Sweden has done right...

Most new Covid-19 hospitalizations in New York state are from people who were staying home and not venturing much outside, a “shocking” finding, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday.

The preliminary data was from 100 New York hospitals involving about 1,000 patients, Cuomo said at his daily briefing.

It shows that 66% of new admissions were from people who had largely been sheltering at home. The next highest source of admissions was from nursing homes, 18%.

Cuomo says it's 'shocking' most new coronavirus hospitalizations are people who had been staying home

Dr Acton, Ohio Health Director compared it to Swiss cheese. She said all the precautions and social distancing, masks etc. have holes but when stacked together like slices of Swiss cheese, one covers the hole in another. The more layers we use, the less holes.

She wasn't given bail because when they offered it, they also asked whether she was going to open right back up, and she said "Absolutely." That's essentially asking someone guilty of a crime what the first thing they planned on doing if released, and they replied, "Commit another crime of course."
If a person lies and says that they will not commit anymore crimes if given bail even if they plan on doing the same crime as soon as they get out, they are allowed bail. I would put the majority of repeat criminals in this category.

If a person tells the truth they are denied bail. Sounds like a really stupid way of deciding who gets bail to me. JMO

So, we are on about 6-7 weeks of lockdown, and people are running out of $$, and you have people like this judge in Texas, getting paid, smacking down a woman trying to earn of living. Yeah, I agree with taking this virus seriously, but there is a point in time, where the citizens are going to take back the country from the leaders telling us all to stay home, while those leaders (governors, Congress, judges) earn a handsome living. It is just a matter of time, before this thing blows up. The reality is everyone can not sit at home forever, while they and everything around them goes broke. The people making all the rules are not necessarily feeling the same impact, and that's a problem.

The mayor of the smallish town where I live decided to enforce some 50 year old ordinance and stop a food truck from selling food. It about caused an uprising. The ordinance was updated. The memories of her heavy handed actions remain. Jmo

Perhaps just a coincidence, but two stories posted here about the kids in NY have mentioned 8yo Boy Scouts.

jmo

I think they're the same kid since they talk about his brother doing CPR before emergency services arrive. Also, they note that at the time he was admitted, he had Covid antibodies -- not that he had Covid.

Dr Acton, Ohio Health Director compared it to Swiss cheese. She said all the precautions and social distancing, masks etc. have holes but when stacked together like slices of Swiss cheese, one covers the hole in another. The more layers we use, the less holes.
That makes so much sense - I like that analogy.

jmo

I had a wonderful evening. Met a dear friend on his patio for take out from a favorite local restaurant and a glass of wine. We sat at his large table, at least 6 feet across, and solved a few world problems. The things we take take for granted....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
undefined.value