GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former PD and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious if the neighbors (or at least GM TM and R) found the under construction site an "attractive nuisance" and source of worry as it was drawing looky loos they found objectionable.

The property owner states he did experience a theft earlier this year but didn't report it to police. Several instances of trespass were called in to police since August 2019 by thus far unknown callers. I suspect the direct neighbors near the property were those callers and not the property owner himself (LE). I don't think he would have been the one concerned enough about the trespasses to report to police since the theft of expensive fishing equipment (felony theft) didn't prompt him to phone police it doesn't seem logical that he would have been the one calling police over simple trespasses (misdemeanor offense)

this clip shows AA inside the home

“Our office has reviewed the surveillance video which appears to show a person, believed to be Ahmaud Arbery, entering a property under construction. The individual remains on the property for under 3 minutes before continuing to jog down the road. This video is consistent with the evidence already known to us.”

GBI reviewing additional video in case of Ahmaud Arbery
That's exactly how I imagined the home to look like. I have looked around in dozens of houses under construction that looked like that. Lots of people are interested in how homes are built. I used to look around, trying to figure out which room was going to be the master bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, etc, and imagining what it would look like in the end.

Maybe I'm just lucky no-one saw me and chased me down with a gun.

To me it looks like he was looking around because he was curious. What did they think he was going to steal? A piece of plywood? A hammer? And then run off on foot?

Imo

I am new to this case with only a few curious questions at this time..... What did Mr. Arbery do for a living ? What was his work occupation ? Was he employed at the time of his death ?.........Thank you in advance to anyone that knows......moo

Was the home under construction or being renovated? "Under construction" led me to expect a bunch of 2x8 framing. Without the porta potty on the front lawn, it would look like any other home, at least in that video.

I also see a person enter what looks like a garage but I don't see him come out. I see someone enter the frame from the left side of the screen, but would that be the same person? How did he get there?

I'm putting this in the "not my job" category.

Last edited:
articles describe the home as under construction and open (not secured) so I think it is a new build. The video from the interior would suggest that the exterior (bones of the home) are constucted but finishes to the interior have not begun. Appears that walls are framed and some drywall hung inside. As a contractor's wife I am reasonably sure this is a new, from ground up construction in progress. MOO

He wasn’t committing a crime that put their lives in danger if he was even committing a crime. If this was an actual (not retired) police officer asking him to stop in full dress with the appropriate car, this is a different story Disobeying an order from an actual officer, charging an actual officer with the intent to do harm, that’s a completely different scenario. Joe Schmo off the street doesn’t get to play caped crusader and chase after people unless they witness a crime that puts someone’s life is in eminent danger. There is no Stand Your Ground, it wasn’t their ground. There is no Castle Doctrine it wasn’t their castle. They chased him down and he tried to flee. He could have a big screen under each arm, unless he’s doing something that puts some ones life at risk, we don’t get to chase him down and shoot him. That is up to police to decide. I get the whole citizens arrest thing, you did something wrong, I’m going to detain you but I don’t get to be judge, jury and executioner. And I certainly don’t go into the confrontation armed. That’s not how this works.

ETA: And frankly I don’t give a rat’s *advertiser censored* what his previous record is. I don’t get to peruse some one just because I have a gun. My DH has tried to present scenarios where I would chase some one. That’s not how this works. If my life is in immediate danger (or those I love, etc) I can and will defend myself and those around me.

I"m against all types of crime. Including property crime. I'm not on board with the whole "it's just stuff" mentality. As I mentioned above, I'm always of the mind that the best way to avoid getting shot is to not commit crime. But that's jmo, in general, because I think self-defense is the issue in this case, not the castle doctrine. jmo

This news channel link to the exterior / across the street video doesn't appear to have time speed ups or annotations. It's an extended time frame which includes quite some time before AA arrived and quite some time after he departed the home construction site.
"We chose to post the entire video clip provided, which is 22 minutes long. The man is first seen entering the frame at 13:31 in." New video in Ahmaud Arbery case offers a view of what happened moments before the deadly shooting

I just watched it and it does look sped up to me. When I looked at the video in thumbnail, Arbury did appear to be running. But when I looked at it full screen, he was obviously walking but the video was sped up. Could be that's just the way the video records, though. jmo

the video from a residence across the street showing the exterior of the construction site is approx 22 minutes long and if you watch the minute/second counter at the top of the video you can see it has been sped up. Probably because news stations want to show the full 22 minutes but there are lots of laggy periods where no action is taking place so they appear to have sped it up.

2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 17 - CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
CHAPTER 4 - ARREST OF PERSONS
ARTICLE 4 - ARREST BY PRIVATE PERSONS
§ 17-4-60 - Grounds for arrest
O.C.G.A. 17-4-60 (2010)
17-4-60. Grounds for arrest

A private person may arrest an offender if the offense is committed in his presence or within his immediate knowledge. If the offense is a felony and the offender is escaping or attempting to escape, a private person may arrest him upon reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion.

2010 Georgia Code :: TITLE 17 - CRIMINAL PROCEDURE :: CHAPTER 4 - ARREST OF PERSONS :: ARTICLE 4 - ARREST BY PRIVATE PERSONS :: § 17-4-60 - Grounds for arrest

The question for me is two part.

Part 1: were the McMichael's present to witness or have direct knowledge? UNKNOWN but not likely IMO. I think it more likely that R is the first 911 caller and the man seen on the video showing Arbery enter and then exit the open construction site. I suspect after the first 911 call another was made to the Ms because police did not seem to take the first 911 call seriously enough to suit the caller.

Part 2: Was the offense witnessed or with direct knowledge of a felony? And here is where that citizen's arrest thing grinds to a halt for me. No it was at most a misdemeanor trespass.

then we get to the self defense prong of this case.

2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 3 - DEFENSES TO CRIMINAL PROSECUTIONS
ARTICLE 2 - JUSTIFICATION AND EXCUSE
§ 16-3-24 - Use of force in defense of property other than a habitation
O.C.G.A. 16-3-24 (2010)
16-3-24. Use of force in defense of property other than a habitation

(a) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with real property other than a habitation or personal property:

(1) Lawfully in his possession;

(2) Lawfully in the possession of a member of his immediate family; or

(3) Belonging to a person whose property he has a legal duty to protect.

(b) The use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to prevent trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with real property other than a habitation or personal property is not justified unless the person using such force reasonably believes that it is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
2010 Georgia Code :: TITLE 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES :: CHAPTER 3 - DEFENSES TO CRIMINAL PROSECUTIONS :: ARTICLE 2 - JUSTIFICATION AND EXCUSE :: § 16-3-24 - Use of force in defense of property other than a habitation

This does not apply to this case IMO because the property in question is the construction site, there was no forcible entry and most importantly, GM and TM did not have a "legal duty" to protect it.

A person is not justified in using force, if that person

a) initially provokes the use of force against himself/herself with the intent to use such force as an excuse to inflict bodily harm upon the assailant; or

b) is attempting to commit, is committing, or is fleeing after the commission or attempted commission of a felony (define arguable felony); or

c) was the aggressor or was engaged in a combat by agreement, unless the person withdraws from the encounter and effectively communicates his/her intent to withdraw to the other person, and the other person still continues or threatens to continue the use of unlawful force.

O.C.G.A. §~16-3-20, 16-3-21
GA 3.02.10 Justification; Use of Force in Defense of Self or Others – Law of Self Defense

[edited to clean up orig source formatting - too large]

Last edited:
I am new to this case with only a few curious questions at this time..... What did Mr. Arbery do for a living ? What was his work occupation ? Was he employed at the time of his death ?.........Thank you in advance to anyone that knows......moo

This long story from the NYT doesn't mention a job. Since it mentions nearly everything else, I'm gonna go with unemployed.

Two Weapons, a Chase, a Killing and No Charges

Nearly everyone who talks about his youngest son, Ahmaud Arbery, remembers him running. Neighbors saw him jogging nearly every day. Ahmaud’s route would take him along the flat, curved road outside the home he shared with his mother, then into the unincorporated community of Satilla Shores on the Georgia coast just outside of Brunswick. Ahmaud would wave to the regulars on his route.

'They lynched him': Ahmaud Arbery's father on the killing of his son

Wish we had enough info to map AA's route on that day. the article above mentions his route may be traceable on people's door ring alerts.

Was the home under construction or being renovated? "Under construction" led me to expect a bunch of 2x8 framing. Without the porta potty on the front lawn, it would look like any other home, at least in that video.

I also see a person enter what looks like a garage but I don't see him come out. I see someone enter the frame from the left side of the screen, but would that be the same person? How did he get there?

I'm putting this in the "not my job" category.
It looks like a brand new home to me. I don't see a garage, it looks like the inside of the home. I only see one person, though.

The house looks like it's still in the beginning stages. The halfway mark is usually when the insulation is put in and the sheet rock is hung. The last thing is usually the electric and plumbing.

ETA just realized we are talking about two different videos.

Imo

Last edited:
Nearly everyone who talks about his youngest son, Ahmaud Arbery, remembers him running. Neighbors saw him jogging nearly every day. Ahmaud’s route would take him along the flat, curved road outside the home he shared with his mother, then into the unincorporated community of Satilla Shores on the Georgia coast just outside of Brunswick. Ahmaud would wave to the regulars on his route.

'They lynched him': Ahmaud Arbery's father on the killing of his son

Wish we had enough info to map AA's route on that day. the article above mentions his route may be traceable on people's door ring alerts.

I notice that there aren't any quotes or attributions for the bolded statements, and none of the articles I've read cite anyone saying they actually previously saw Arbery jog anywhere, much less in that neighborhood. None of the articles say exactly where he lived, either. The only thing I can find about anyone saying he actually ever saw Arbery jog is this quote from his former coach, who is also an activist on the case: “Everybody in the community knows he runs,” said Mr. Vaughn, who said he saw Mr. Arbery jogging on the streets a few months ago."

jmo

This does not apply to this case IMO because the property in question is the construction site, there was no forcible entry and most importantly, GM and TM did not have a "legal duty" to protect it.

There appear to be two components of the law that show the actions of the assailants were not justified:

- as you mentioned, they did not own the property, it was not that of a relative, and they had not been given permission by the owner to protect it.

- The law alas states: "... to prevent or terminate such other's trespass..."

The victim had already left on his own accord and "terminated" the trespass. There is no evidence that he was returning to the property- thus no need to "prevent" trespass.

Last edited:
I would be interested in hearing from people who are familiar with AA's habit of running through their neighborhoods and the door ding videos mentioned in the linked article.

I think it would be very helpful to establish that AA did indeed make a habit of jogging in the general area. It would further illustrate for me how very unusual it was that the Ms saw fit to hop into a pickup with weapons and give chase.

If neighbors indeed were used to seeing Mr. A on his jogs it doesn't appear to have caused any of them to think he was a felon/criminal involved in committing an offense.

This news channel link to the exterior / across the street video doesn't appear to have time speed ups or annotations. It's an extended time frame which includes quite some time before AA arrived and quite some time after he departed the home construction site.
"We chose to post the entire video clip provided, which is 22 minutes long. The man is first seen entering the frame at 13:31 in." New video in Ahmaud Arbery case offers a view of what happened moments before the deadly shooting

Thank you.
This video seems a bit better at getting closer to the "real time" surveillance from across the street but it's still sped up. Why is no one releasing real time video?

Is it because the media, since day one has labeled him an Avid "jogger", yet in this surveillance video, he is not jogging at all?

What bothers me most about this video is the manipulation of time. The seconds are speeding up and slowing down. Why is that?

In the newly released GBI video #1, they show AA inside the garage on video walking the same 8-10 ft, no less than 19 times. In regular time and slow motion. The news segment was long enough to show the entire length of video that he was in the garage, but they chose not to for some reason. Again, Why?

And lastly, can anyone tell if he's wearing a watch on his left wrist? The video is fairly clear but I can't seem to get a glimpse of a watch.

Last edited:
I notice that there aren't any quotes or attributions for the bolded statements, and none of the articles I've read cite anyone saying they actually previously saw Arbery jog anywhere, much less in that neighborhood. None of the articles say exactly where he lived, either. The only thing I can find about anyone saying he actually ever saw Arbery jog is this quote from his former coach, who is also an activist on the case: “Everybody in the community knows he runs,” said Mr. Vaughn, who said he saw Mr. Arbery jogging on the streets a few months ago."

jmo
That would indicate that the neighbors probably did see him jogging on a regular basis. It was reported that people were planning to run or walk in memory of him, taking the same route through the neighborhood near his mother's house.

One of his friends posted on FB that he was going to keep running for him.

All this seems to indicate he was a regular jogger.

Imo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads