Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting that a majority of people are willing to upload a contact tracing app if it is established by the CDC ... and yet a majority of people are not willing to upload the app if it is established by the federal govt.
The federal govt seems to pretty much own CDC.

The main source of CDC discretionary funds is budget authority, which are annual appropriations determined by the U.S. Congress. In FY 2019, Congress appropriated $6.5 billion in budget authority to CDC and directed the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary to transfer $804.5 million in Prevention and Public Health Funds (PPHF) to CDC for a total program funding level of $7,339,025,000.
Partnering with CDC |Gifts to CDC

And it is possible that we may never achieve an effective vaccine.
It is possible that the best we may get are ways in which to treat the virus as herd immunity very slowly grows.

I think of AIDS and the way in which we are still looking for a vaccine - after all this time. Though there are now good treatments for those who become infected.

There is currently no vaccine available that will prevent HIV infection or treat those who have it.
However, scientists are working to develop one. NIH is investing in multiple approaches to prevent HIV, including a safe and effective preventive HIV vaccine.

HIV Vaccines
Content Source: HIV.gov Date last updated: February 21, 2020

The problem with herd immunity is that it is beginning to look like those who have recovered suffer long term, potentially life long, ailments. Do we want a population with people of all ages suffering permanent health damage from the virus? That's a consequence of herd immunity.

The 1918 virus stopped, so did SARS. We can't assume that it stopped because of herd immunity.

Vaccine Maker Moderna Moves to Next Phase of Testing

May 12, 2020

n May 12, Moderna Therapeutics, based in Cambridge, Mass., received fast-track approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for its COVID-19 vaccine candidate, mRNA-1273. Days earlier, the FDA gave the company the green light to proceed to Phase 2 testing of the vaccine, which is expected to begin shortly. The company plans to launch the final stage of human testing, Phase 3, this summer, assuming the Phase 2 studies are complete, says Dr. Stephen Hoge, president of Moderna.

Fast-track designation boils down to a more expedited review process by the FDA. In particular, it means the agency can review data on a rolling basis so an entire application for approval isn’t held up until the final piece of data is collected and analyzed. “It’s validation that the FDA believes this is a very credible exercise,” says Hoge.

[..]

Moderna’s vaccine relies on a relatively new technology based on the mRNA of the virus; it involves injecting fragments of the viral genetic material into the body, which then stimulates the body’s immune system to fight the novel coronavirus.

[..]

Currently, there are around eight vaccines being tested in people, using different technologies. Public health experts believe that multiple vaccines may be needed in order to meet global demand to immunize and protect as many people as possible from COVID-19 in coming years.

Moderna's experimental coronavirus vaccine gets FDA's 'fast track' status | Daily Mail Online

May 12, 2020

Moderna Inc said on Tuesday the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted 'fast track' designation to its experimental coronavirus vaccine to speed up the regulatory review process.

The company has been racing to develop a safe and effective vaccine against the novel coronavirus that has killed more than 285,000 people globally. It expects to start a late-stage study of the vaccine in early summer.

It's up against competitors like Johnson & Johnson and Novavax, which yesterday received more funding than any other vaccine maker from the epidemic preparedness group CEPI.

However, Moderna had a leg up in the race to create a coronavirus vaccine.

Along with it's NIH and Vaccine Research Center partners, Moderna started developing a vaccine against SARS amid the 2003 outbreak of that virus, the closes cousin to the one that causes COVID-19.

[..]

There are no approved treatments or vaccines for the COVID-19 respiratory illness caused by the new coronavirus, though some drugs are being used on patients under an emergency-use authorization.

The agency's fast track status is designed to expedite the review of treatments and vaccines meant for serious conditions.

A vaccine or treatment that gets the status is eligible for more frequent meetings with the FDA.

[..]

Moderna, using the platform it had created to develop a SARS vaccine, was able to create a candidate vaccine in January.

By February, it shipped its vaccine to the US government.

Now, there are two Phase 1 trials the shot underway, and on May 6, Moderna's stocks shot up after the FDA greenlit its Phase 2 study.

A Phase 3 trial is set to start late this spring or early this summer.

Moderna CEO says no single drugmaker can produce enough coronavirus vaccine doses for the planet

May 12, 2020

Moderna CEO Stephane Bancel said he hopes U.S. and international regulators approve several coronavirus vaccines from multiple companies, because no single manufacturer will be able to meet global demand.

“The odds that every program works are really low, obviously, but I really hope we have three, four, five vaccines, because no manufacturer can make enough doses for the planet,” Bancel said during CNBC’s Healthy Returns Virtual Summit.

Moderna has developed one of the leading coronavirus vaccine candidates in the world. The company is currently wrapping up phase one human trials on it in Seattle and is about to start phase 2 two trials, it announced last week. If it’s effective and safe to use, it could be ready for market in early 2021, the company said.

Bancel said Moderna is working closely with Dr. Anthony Fauci’s team at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases as well as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to determine the best plan to distribute the vaccine, which could be ready in 12 to 18 months within the U.S.

Pardon the personal question, but where do you stop for bathroom breaks? I have a friend who needs to make a 7hr trip for a medical appointment. There's nowhere to stop.
I limited what I drank and only had to go once when we filled up for gas at a large PILOT truck stop. The bathrooms were clean, but I had mask, gloves, etc and was really cautious.

I'd guess 75% of the people I saw did not have masks, gloves or practice social distancing and it was very busy.

I am more concerned with sending a perfectly healthy kid back into any kind of Virus school situation with unknown strange students, teachers, etc......moo
I strongly have to agree here since there's no data that I'm aware of to predict whether infected children could have longterm health problems after contracting the virus.

<modsnip>

we don't know enough about this virus that's affected the entire world to put children at risk when delaying entry for 90+ more days could make a big difference. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Another report from my state, which has now been released from the stay at home order starting when it expires on Friday. Tonight we went to a different restuarant/bar that claimed to be following the CDC guidelines re masking. I didn't want to go, but I was overruled :) When we got there, there were about 15 people in the bar area, and none of them had masks and there was no "social distancing." In fact, there was a couple holding hands, hugging, etc. and standing extremely close and chatting to an elderly man drinking a martini.

The only person I saw wearing a mask was our waitress. And she only wore one when she served the food. No gloves, no disposable/internet menus, no "sanitizing" - just a typical wipe down of the table, although the smell of disinfectant was stronger than usual. Way less crowded than the restuarant we went to last night which advertised its no-mask policy. But that may be because the place we went to tonight is relatively new, having had the misfortune of opening a month or two before all the drama.

I also got an email saying that my gym/spa/salon is opening Friday or Saturday, and I understand that public pools and theaters will be open, as well. I guess people will start having to come back to work soon, too (or not).

049414d7-e997-4ff8-ad8b-92ea89d7d567_1140x641.png

Glad to see Gov Inslee promoting a controversial inquiry, but I'm disappointed that he's been silent on several clinical trials at Univ of WA where enrollment plummeted when volunteers were scared off coronavirus drugs first promoted by the President -- although the fears are unwarranted. MOO

Fewer than 260 volunteers, out of a target of 2,000, have signed up for a $9.5 million UW study being conducted in Seattle and six other sites across the country. Another multi-site project coordinated by the UW has only about 30 patients enrolled. [..]

Barnabas and other researchers say the potential risks of the drugs have been exaggerated in the heated political controversy ignited when Trump first began promoting them. Critics of the president blasted him for touting unproven medications, while his supporters have accused scientists of cover-ups and conspiracies. [..]

“We have decades of experience with this drug,” he said. “It’s one of the few drugs approved for use during pregnancy and for lactating women.” [..]

Enrollment has also slowed in O’Neill’s study, which is focused on testing hydroxychloroquine’s ability to protect people who work in high-risk settings, like hospitals, nursing homes and prisons, from infection. The project was funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which is interested in inexpensive drugs that might be used to fight COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, in developing countries.

O’Neill’s team has given hydroxychloroquine to about 1,700 people so far, with no serious side effects, he said.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/clinical-trial-enrollment-plummets-as-volunteers-are-scared-off-coronavirus-treatment-pushed-by-trump/

Interesting that a majority of people are willing to upload a contact tracing app if it is established by the CDC ... and yet a majority of people are not willing to upload the app if it is established by the federal govt.
The federal govt seems to pretty much own CDC.

The main source of CDC discretionary funds is budget authority, which are annual appropriations determined by the U.S. Congress. In FY 2019, Congress appropriated $6.5 billion in budget authority to CDC and directed the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary to transfer $804.5 million in Prevention and Public Health Funds (PPHF) to CDC for a total program funding level of $7,339,025,000.
Partnering with CDC |Gifts to CDC

That is interesting. It goes along with the apparent belief that high level career employees of gov't agencies like the CDC, CBO, IRS, and on and on are non-partisan.

Fabiana Zepeda is the head of nursing at the Mexican Institute of Social Security (IMSS). The agency retweeted a message from his personal account explaining that he had isolated himself after testing positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus.

In late April, Zepeda participated in the government’s daily press conference on the coronavirus. At the time, she said the nurses had suffered 21 assaults or cases of abuse since the start of the pandemic, apparently out of fear that they could spread the virus.

Zepeda’s voice broke when he told them that they had been told to stop wearing their uniforms on the street to avoid being subjected to abuse or discrimination.

“These attacks have hit the union, the health worker hard,” said Zepeda at the time. “We are leaving our lives in hospital units.”

The IMSS wrote on its Twitter account on Tuesday that we know “that soon it will show us that its greatest strength is not giving up, we wait for it back to lead the army of nurses who are the heart of #SeguroSocial”.
Mexican nurse who asked for respect contracted coronavirus - Latest News, Breaking News, Top News Headlines

Related article from two weeks ago:
At least 21 medical workers in 12 states across Mexico have been attacked, said Fabiana Zepeda Arias, chief of nursing for Mexico’s Social Security Institute, at a press conference on Monday. “We can save your lives,” she pleaded. “Please help us take care of you, and for that, we need you to take care of us.”
Doctor attacked in Oaxaca, nurse evicted in Sonora over coronavirus fears

But the vaccine will not be here until early 2021, at the earliest.

How can we manage a total lockdown until 2021? Who is going to still be in business and able to keep supply lines for food and meds open?

We probably can’t.

But no nation has demanded a total and complete lockdown. Except maybe China, in only Wuhan, every nation has at minimum stated that anything related to producing food and medicine and products people need can stay open. However, they have had to employ strict measures in order to ensure that things like meat packing plants and grocery stores, etc., remain as safe as possible to minimize infection.

The problem is we continue to have deep minimization, at various levels of government of this disease, a minimization that causes people and businesses not to employ measures necessary to stay safe.

And all of this delays reopening and continually sets us back.

For example, the CDC, a powerful agency, has historically mandated certain sanitation guidelines at places like meat packing places, when there’s been an outbreak of disease. But for some bizarre reason, today, the CDC is suddenly suggesting only “guidelines” that businesses “should employ IF feasible.”

That includes keeping six feet apart, wearing masks, disinfecting surfaces, temperature checks, etc.

Why?

Many countries are starting the process of opening back up but most of them employed strict measures and their citizens followed the guidelines for the most part and with little complaint. Not us.

Here we have people who screamed that the shutdown was a useless mistake and an impermissible violation of constitutional freedoms. Okay. I understand.

But then we have people also refusing to socially distance when in public, or at businesses, etc. They’re refusing not to gather. They argue that to mandate that takes away their freedom.

And then we have the mask rules. But now we have people who refuse to do even that. Even though it protects others, they won’t do it. They say it’s nazi-ish to force people to wear masks.

Finally, while people who are protesting all these things continually state that those who are “vulnerable” (I.e. everyone over 60, everyone with high blood pressure, cancer, cancer history, diabetes, asthma, COPD, cerebral palsy, paralysis, cystic fibrosis, obesity, heart issues, stroke, autoimmune system disorders, allergies, etc., etc.) should isolate and let everyone else go back to work, that’s really not what they mean. And it really won’t make a difference.

Because the reality is that 40% of Americans, per the CDC, have chronic conditions. Many of them will have to continue to isolate. That’s too high a chunk not to continue to impact the economy. And over 60% of Americans believe the shut down should continue as long as necessary. So while many will suddenly flood restaurants and other places that open, desperate to get out and desperate for things to return to normal, those people who will flood businesses at first, won’t be able to go out every day. The rest of the public will continue to stay home. And that’s a massive chunk that will devastate the economy. Because businesses rely on that 60%.

Most importantly, for those who believe we must get back to normal immediately in order to save the economy, they feel that the only way can help effectuate that is by denying the very real reality of this epidemic. And thus, paradoxically, they cut off their nose to spite their face, because the way that you deny it is by doing things like resisting masks, stating that masks are not important, resisting 6 foot rules, and becoming angry when people refuse to frequent businesses. And those things all cause the shut down to continue to be prolonged.

So we’ve got people who are defiantly refusing to follow any of the laws that would help us get back to work quickly. And as they become more desperate for things to get back to normal they’re going to chafe even more at basic rules and at PEOPLE who follow those rules.

That’s why we’ve already seen people shot, pushed into lakes, etc., for trying to get people to follow the basic rules. Myself I’ve seen glares and stares from people who seem offended if I’m wearing a mask or trying to get farther away from others in public. It’s offensive to them because it’s a reminder that this thing is real and that nothing is going to change as far as the economy and the threat to our health, for a long time.

We don’t see as much such desperation in other countries because people aren’t going to lose their homes, health insurance, jobs (for the most part) or face food insecurity, due to the shut downs and the pandemic in general. Our system is different, however. We don’t have the same safety nets in place. Well, at least not for anyone but those with a lot of money. Thus, while someone like me still can’t get a small business loan, Ruth Chris was rolling in it, and quickly.

That causes greater inability for us to withstand a lengthy shut down.

Shut downs aren’t supposed to last forever. They’re supposed to last long enough to flatten the curve (which we achieved in CA comparatively speaking), to the degree that new cases can be contained through aggressive testing, tracking and isolation. But as long as people feel insecure about the way this is being handled in our country, which leads to people who flout the rules, the more the rest of the population will refuse to frequent businesses as much once it does open up again. And like I said, I believe the latter will prolong the shut downs.

Scientists 'undermine Trump's narrative on coronavirus and reopening of the economy'

Scientists 'undermine Trump's narrative on coronavirus and reopening of the economy'

Sky News Australia
2 hrs ago
The New Republic reporter Alex Shephard says the reopening of the United States has demonstrated a “split screen of most of the coronavirus response”.

Dr Anthony Fauci was one of several members of the scientific community who testified before Congress, stating the coronavirus was not under control and it would be dangerous to reopen the states.

Mr Shephard told Sky News what tended to happen was the president would champion the economy and push to reopen it while Dr Fauci would be “pouring cold water [on Trump]”.

The Doctors and Scientists are going push for a prolonged lockdown.

The economists are going to argue for a vital ramping up of businesses and restaurants, etc.

It is the President's job to find a balance between the two. I think he is doing a good job trying to find the way to do that effectively and safely. JMO

The problem with herd immunity is that it is beginning to look like those who have recovered suffer long term, potentially life long, ailments. Do we want a population with people of all ages suffering permanent health damage from the virus? That's a consequence of herd immunity.

The 1918 virus stopped, so did SARS. We can't assume that it stopped because of herd immunity.

Does anyone know why these viruses just stopped?

SARS: how a global epidemic was stopped

SARS: how a global epidemic was stopped
April 2007

As reported by the Scientific community:

[..]
While the identification of the coronavirus may not have contributed substantially to control efforts, what was gratifying was that during the SARS outbreak in 2003 there was unprecedented collaboration among scientists and laboratories around the world to work together to identify the causative agent, map its genome and develop reliable diagnostic tests. There was openness and willingness to share critical scientific information promptly. As a result, the virus responsible was identified and its genome mapped within weeks of the outbreak. The scientific world was shown at its best. It should continue in this vein, with greater and closer cooperation in the face of threats from new and emerging microbes.

Third: “animal husbandry and marketing practices seriously affect human health”. Since its discovery in 2003, the SARS coronavirus has been thought to have originated in animals. One of the chapters of the book attempts to elucidate the evidence for this. In particular, it reports that the palm civet in southern China may have played a crucial role in this respect and that the close relationship between animals and humans seems to have been a likely precondition for the virus to jump the species barrier. Avian influenza is the single biggest public health threat the world faces right now. Fortunately, for the time being, human cases of avian influenza have arisen from direct infection from birds to humans, with only rare instances of probable human-to-human transmission. The SARS episode has underscored the importance of changing animal husbandry practices or “more viruses are likely to emerge from the animal world”. Old and unhygienic veterinary practices must be discarded or the public health risk from zoonotic diseases will always be with us.
[..]

Serious question. If it was you and you were a kid, would you want to go back to school with all of these ridiculous distancing rules?
No playground, no lunchroom, no library...
I get it!
Parents have to work, but yuck.
I just can't imagine how they are gonna manage all the kids in the space they have.
Maybe build tent schools? Like the temporary hospitals?
Moo

I would add to your question...”If you were a teacher, would you want to go back to school with...no playground, no lunchroom, no library”? In other words, kids in the classroom all day with no real break. It would be like the “rainy day” schedule my retired teacher husband dreaded. This would be treating teachers like glorified day-care and be unfair to both teachers and kids. They really need to think this through IMO.

We probably can’t.

But no nation has demanded a total and complete lockdown. Except maybe China, in only Wuhan, every nation has at minimum stated that anything related to producing food and medicine and products people need can stay open. However, they have had to employ strict measures in order to ensure that things like meat packing plants and grocery stores, etc., remain as safe as possible to minimize infection.

The problem is we continue to have deep minimization, at various levels of government of this disease, a minimization that causes people and businesses not to employ measures necessary to stay safe.

And all of this delays reopening and continually sets us back.

For example, the CDC, a powerful agency, has historically mandated certain sanitation guidelines at places like meat packing places, when there’s been an outbreak of disease. But for some bizarre reason, today, the CDC is suddenly suggesting only “guidelines” that businesses “should employ IF feasible.”

That includes keeping six feet apart, wearing masks, disinfecting surfaces, temperature checks, etc.

Why?

Many countries are starting the process of opening back up but most of them employed strict measures and their citizens followed the guidelines for the most part and with little complaint. Not us.

Here we have people who screamed that the shutdown was a useless mistake and an impermissible violation of constitutional freedoms. Okay. I understand.

But then we have people also refusing to socially distance when in public, or at businesses, etc. They’re refusing not to gather. They argue that to mandate that takes away their freedom.

And then we have the mask rules. But now we have people who refuse to do even that. Even though it protects others, they won’t do it. They say it’s nazi-ish to force people to wear masks.

Finally, while people who are protesting all these things continually state that those who are “vulnerable” (I.e. everyone over 60, everyone with high blood pressure, cancer, cancer history, diabetes, asthma, COPD, cerebral palsy, paralysis, cystic fibrosis, obesity, heart issues, stroke, autoimmune system disorders, allergies, etc., etc.) should isolate and let everyone else go back to work, that’s really not what they mean. And it really won’t make a difference.

Because the reality is that 40% of Americans, per the CDC, have chronic conditions. Many of them will have to continue to isolate. That’s too high a chunk not to continue to impact the economy. And over 60% of Americans believe the shut down should continue as long as necessary. So while many will suddenly flood restaurants and other places that open, desperate to get out and desperate for things to return to normal, those people who will flood businesses at first, won’t be able to go out every day. The rest of the public will continue to stay home. And that’s a massive chunk that will devastate the economy. Because businesses rely on that 60%.

Most importantly, for those who believe we must get back to normal immediately in order to save the economy, they feel that the only way can help effectuate that is by denying the very real reality of this epidemic. And thus, paradoxically, they cut off their nose to spite their face, because the way that you deny it is by doing things like resisting masks, stating that masks are not important, resisting 6 foot rules, and becoming angry when people refuse to frequent businesses. And those things all cause the shut down to continue to be prolonged.

So we’ve got people who are defiantly refusing to follow any of the laws that would help us get back to work quickly. And as they become more desperate for things to get back to normal they’re going to chafe even more at basic rules and at PEOPLE who follow those rules.

That’s why we’ve already seen people shot, pushed into lakes, etc., for trying to get people to follow the basic rules. Myself I’ve seen glares and stares from people who seem offended if I’m wearing a mask or trying to get farther away from others in public. It’s offensive to them because it’s a reminder that this thing is real and that nothing is going to change as far as the economy and the threat to our health, for a long time.

We don’t see as much such desperation in other countries because people aren’t going to lose their homes, health insurance, jobs (for the most part) or face food insecurity, due to the shut downs and the pandemic in general. Our system is different, however. We don’t have the same safety nets in place. Well, at least not for anyone but those with a lot of money. Thus, while someone like me still can’t get a small business loan, Ruth Chris was rolling in it, and quickly.

That causes greater inability for us to withstand a lengthy shut down.

Shut downs aren’t supposed to last forever. They’re supposed to last long enough to flatten the curve (which we achieved in CA comparatively speaking), to the degree that new cases can be contained through aggressive testing, tracking and isolation. But as long as people feel insecure about the way this is being handled in our country, which leads to people who flout the rules, the more the rest of the population will refuse to frequent businesses as much once it does open up again. And like I said, I believe the latter will prolong the shut downs.

Unfortunately this crisis has brought out some uglier qualities in some people-there
are the selfish ignorant people who say basically, i want to do what i want and if older
people with underlying medical conditions die, well, too bad-- there are others who
are just plain stupid and call this virus a hoax or "it is the flu" --- others make this crisis
about "my constitutional rights"---and while these people are in the minority, there
are enough of them who ruin it for everybody else, and pose a physical threat of spreading
the virus---

SARS killed hundreds and then disappeared. Could this coronavirus die out?

Feb 2020
From the LA times:

[..]
It was early 2003, the beginning of the battle against severe acute respiratory syndrome, more commonly known as SARS. The SARS outbreak was the first deadly epidemic caused by a coronavirus

“It was a tremendous concern,” said Alan Rowan, a public health professor at Florida State University involved in Florida’s response to the SARS outbreak. “It was a novel virus, and it was frightening.”

Much like the strain of coronavirus currently spreading across the world, the SARS virus prompted people to hoard face masks, cancel trips to Asia and institute massive quarantines amid fears that the disease would become entrenched.

But eight months after SARS began circulating, it was contained. The virus died out.

The stamping out of SARS has been lauded as one of the biggest recent public health victories, achieved with a strong and swift response and a dose of good luck.

I am not sure that it is large percentage that suffer all of the long term damage. Many have mild symptoms and recover quickly, with no longterm issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151