Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #56

Status
Not open for further replies.
049414d7-e997-4ff8-ad8b-92ea89d7d567_1140x641.png

Glad to see Gov Inslee promoting a controversial inquiry, but I'm disappointed that he's been silent on several clinical trials at Univ of WA where enrollment plummeted when volunteers were scared off coronavirus drugs first promoted by the President -- although the fears are unwarranted. MOO

Fewer than 260 volunteers, out of a target of 2,000, have signed up for a $9.5 million UW study being conducted in Seattle and six other sites across the country. Another multi-site project coordinated by the UW has only about 30 patients enrolled. [..]

Barnabas and other researchers say the potential risks of the drugs have been exaggerated in the heated political controversy ignited when Trump first began promoting them. Critics of the president blasted him for touting unproven medications, while his supporters have accused scientists of cover-ups and conspiracies. [..]

“We have decades of experience with this drug,” he said. “It’s one of the few drugs approved for use during pregnancy and for lactating women.” [..]

Enrollment has also slowed in O’Neill’s study, which is focused on testing hydroxychloroquine’s ability to protect people who work in high-risk settings, like hospitals, nursing homes and prisons, from infection. The project was funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which is interested in inexpensive drugs that might be used to fight COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, in developing countries.

O’Neill’s team has given hydroxychloroquine to about 1,700 people so far, with no serious side effects, he said.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/clinical-trial-enrollment-plummets-as-volunteers-are-scared-off-coronavirus-treatment-pushed-by-trump/

I have never had issue with hydroxychloroquine being tested and researched. But have always felt it was just one needle in the haystack and got oodles and oodles more $$ than anything else, to marginal benefit.

Memorial Day is approaching and public/community pools are posting they will be opening. How do you social distance at a pool? Do you give each person a square?
Limit the number of people? Wear a face mask and not put your head under water?
And how do you tell kids to keep 6-10 feet apart in a pool?

Interesting timing as someone posted on our neighborhood Facebook questioning when it can be opened. They are going to have a board meeting to discuss. I'm staying away as I can see this is going to be such an issue and perhaps very divisive in the neighborhood!

I have never had issue with hydroxychloroquine being tested and researched. But have always felt it was just one needle in the haystack and got oodles and oodles more $$ than anything else, to marginal benefit.
I am not even sure it has any benefits at all. It has dangerous cardiovascular side effects, antibiotic they are pairing it with also has cardiovascular side effects. It could very well be doing more harm then good.

How? You keep your own kids safe at home. They made really be angry now, but they will appreciate your concerns when they become adults.
I don’t have a problem with not going to a pool. It’s going to be difficult to tell 3 of the grands they can sit on their back porch and watch the other kids splash in it and they can’t go. I anticipate the melt downs to increase.

Massachusetts/more at linkshttps://www.telegram.com/news/20200...vid-19-now-works-at-dcu-center-field-hospital
[URL='https://www.telegram.com/news/20200512/umass-med-student-recovers-from-covid-19-now-works-at-dcu-center-field-hospital'][/URL]
[URL="https://www.telegram.com/news/20200512/umass-med-student-recovers-from-covid-19-now-works-at-dcu-center-field-hospital"]UMass med student recovers from COVID-19, now works at DCU Center field hospital[/URL]
https://www.masslive.com/coronaviru...duations-ceremonies-concerts-than-movies.html
WORCESTER - Just a few weeks ago, Michelle Shabo was infected with coronavirus and fighting for her life at UMass Memorial Medical Center.
“There was a moment in the hospital where I was like, this could be it, I could die,” said Shabo, 28, of Worcester.
But now the fourth-year medical student at UMass Medical School is recovered, Shabo is returning the favor for all the nurses and doctors who cared for her by doing an emergency medicine rotation at the DCU Center field hospital.
https://www.masslive.com/coronaviru...duations-ceremonies-concerts-than-movies.html

[URL="https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus/2020/05/this-has-become-a-huge-community-service-project-northfield-drive-in-booking-more-graduations-ceremonies-concerts-than-movies.html"]Drive-in booking more graduations, ceremonies, concerts than movies
[/URL]
Northfield Drive-In are fielding inquiries from more than a dozen schools and organizations looking to have car-bound, no-contact graduations and other ceremonies.
"This has become a huge community service project," said new owner Julia Wiggin.

Amid coronavirus shutdowns, some companies see surge in business, new opportunities
When is the best time to start a company? During a pandemic may not be the obvious answer but several business executives say the COVID-19 crisis presents an opportunity to use shifts in behavior to explore new ideas and markets.
“We’ve just seen massive behavior change across the world. Some of that will be temporary, a lot of it looks like it will be permanent,” David Cancel, CEO of Boston-based Drift, said. “And behavior change, at least for me, is where I want to start from understanding an idea in a market and trying to understand if we can bring a new company into that market.”

U.S. small-business revenue is down 40%. In Boston, it’s nearly twice as bad.
Small businesses in and around Boston have lost a higher percentage of their revenue during the Covid-19 pandemic than their counterparts in almost every other major U.S. metropolitan area, including hard-hit cities like New York, according to a new Harvard-developed data tracker.

'We can operate safer than a Walmart': Massachusetts restaurants ask to reopen next week
More than 100 Massachusetts restaurants owners signed a letter sent to Gov. Charlie Baker asking to reopen partially on May 19 with the goal of expanding to full capacity a month later amid the coronavirus pandemic
“We can operate safer than a Walmart, Target, Home Depot, or a supermarket, which host many more customers per day, are not usually as clean, and six feet distance is close to impossible,” the letter states. "We’re one of the cleanest, most regulated, industries. Unlike the owners and presidents of most of these multibillion-dollar, multinational companies, we live here and work in our stores, so our safety measures impact us and our families. "

Pregnant women admitted for delivery urged to get tested for COVID-19

SPRINGFIELD — Baystate Health is urging mothers-to-be being admitted for delivery to be tested for COVID-19.
Dr. Heather Sankey, chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Baystate Medical Center, said some such women are declining to be tested.
“The best way to protect themselves and their baby is to know whether or not they have COVID, because it allows us to test the baby and teach her and her family how to minimize the chance of infecting the baby,” Sankey said.
“It helps us in our planning efforts to protect everyone in the hospital.”
Baystate is testing all patients being admitted for coronavirus, as it is now established that individuals, including pregnant women, can be infected but not show symptoms of the respiratory illness that is particularly infectious in close proximity.
Few studies have been done on COVID-19 infections in newborns and the source.
Baystate has found a “small number of women without symptoms test positive,” Sankey said.
"The results allows us to take steps to minimize the spread of the virus to others, including the baby,” she said.

The Doctors and Scientists are going push for a prolonged lockdown.

The economists are going to argue for a vital ramping up of businesses and restaurants, etc.

It is the President's job to find a balance between the two. I think he is doing a good job trying to find the way to do that effectively and safely. JMO

I respectfully disagree. I believe he is pushing the economists, and his favored media to make "safety measures" look unnecessary at best, and stupid at worst. To me, it is totally disheartening to see Fauci now vilified by so many. "He's not elected". ?? What does that have to do with anything. ? Like...an elected person is much more knowledgeable?
@gitana1 hit so many nails on the head! (And hopefully not in our coffin")

The safety measures I saw so so many people of all ages, using a month ago, are totally gone. My grocery store still looks pretty safe to me (however I do shop in the senior hour), but I have frequented a few others places--some out of necessity and some out of "community support"... and you would think that nothing has happened.

I am "game" for reopening, because I have choices to stay home with no responsibility for kids anymore, or a long commute and hard job.
But to be made the enemy for trying to be safe, supporting our local officials who are trying to be more cautious, or still reading that the virus is a total hoax (as evidenced by our local community FB pages.... oh how I wish I could post) is unacceptable.

What i am afraid of the most is that we will still push stuff under the rug (like we have fantastic testing) , and will be no better prepared for when this comes around again...whether a second wave, or a whole new virus.... it will come.

It's available until December 30th for free. So, if you have 5 hours during now till then, you are good to go! You can stop at any time and pick up later, and it's broken up into 4-25 minute modules. I read the transcript vs. watching the video to make it go faster. I had nothing better to do last night (nuthin on tv lol) so I just delved into it.
wow... thanks for this info. I am def going to research this.... How do they discuss or differentiate state-by-state knowledge issues? I know the Massachusetts job description made "knowledge of Mass towns and whatever" mandatory.

wow... thanks for this info. I am def going to research this.... How do they discuss or differentiate state-by-state knowledge issues? I know the Massachusetts job description made "knowledge of Mass towns and whatever" mandatory.

This is for educational purposes. Each state will hopefully have their own training, which may include doing this, or perhaps others will base on this one as a template. MOO

I am not even sure it has any benefits at all. It has dangerous cardiovascular side effects, antibiotic they are pairing it with also has cardiovascular side effects. It could very well be doing more harm then good.

actually, yes.... that is what i am reading about now too.... will we ever see scientific research on how much $$ was wasted??? We have scientific research on everything else!!!

I'm having oral surgery today. I opted not to be put asleep. I did say I would take the laughing gas. o_O This is making me a little nervous but they say I have to have it now. I may possible not have a tooth there for 3 months. I'm kind of glad I can wear a mask now so my weird smile is covered.

The international humanitarian organization Doctors Without Borders, which rarely operates in the United States, has dispatched medical workers to the Navajo Nation to help with the coronavirus pandemic.

The Navajo Nation Reservation, located in the Southwest and covering the corners of Arizona, New Mexico and Utah, has experienced some of the highest infection rates in the country.

Social distancing and sanitary measures required during the pandemic have been a challenge because of the communal living traditionally exercised on the country’s largest reservation.

TRIBAL NATIONS FACE UNIQUE CHALLENGE IN BATTLE AGAINST CORONAVIRUS

Situationally, the Native American communities are at a much higher risk for complications from COVID-19 and also from community spread because they don't have access to the variety of things that make it possible to self-isolate,” Jean Stowell, head of the organization's U.S. COVID-19 Response Team, told CBS News in an interview Monday.

“You can't expect people to isolate if they have to drive 100 miles to get food and water," Stowell said.

IRISH SEND FUNDS TO CORONAVIRUS-HIT NATIVE AMERICAN COMMUNITY, RETURNING NEARLY 200-YEAR-OLD FAVOR

The Navajo Nation Reservation has a population of nearly 175,000, many of whom do not have access to running water. And the reservation has seen more than 3,120 coronavirus cases since March, with over 100 deaths.

The rate of infection is nearly 18 percent, and the lack of accessible resources is why Doctors Without Borders is stepping in to assist the community, it said.

The Navajo Nation has extended an order declaring a state of emergency and closure of all government offices until June 7.

"As the rest of our nation begins to open up, we need to remember that this virus came to our nation much later than the rest of our country, so that means we'll exit this COVID-19 crisis later than the rest, this is just common sense," Navajo Nation Vice President Myron Lizer said from a town hall Tuesday.
Doctors Without Borders heads to coronavirus-stricken Navajo Nation Reservation | Fox News

Doctors w/o Borders (@MSF_USA) | Twitter
Why don't they have access to running water?

I believe you're missing the reason for these clinical trials funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which is interested in inexpensive drugs that might be used to fight COVID-19. I have to disagree with your needle in a haystack opinion as explained below.

The trial in my post is aimed at finding out if chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine and the antibiotic azithromycin, singly or in combination, can prevent pneumonia and other serious complications in people who have the virus but aren’t sick enough to be hospitalized. We're talking about treating a majority population to arrest the lung inflammation or pneumonia caused by the virus and stop them from becoming inpatients.

Hydroxychloroquine is believed completely viable mechanistically as something that might work, and it’s a lot cheaper than Remdesivir, an antiviral medication recently approved for treating COVID-19.

Today, most of the evidence for the drugs’ effectiveness comes from laboratory studies showing inhibition of the virus and the trials. What is needed right now is an adequate number of people to enroll in the trials to know what the effectiveness is with confidence.

It's time to learn if these drugs are going to work — or not work — on Republicans and Democrats alike.

Serious question. If it was you and you were a kid, would you want to go back to school with all of these ridiculous distancing rules?
No playground, no lunchroom, no library...
I get it!
Parents have to work, but yuck.
I just can't imagine how they are gonna manage all the kids in the space they have.
Maybe build tent schools? Like the temporary hospitals?
Moo
This is how China did it. Big hats.

Schools start reopening in China's biggest cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics