Florida - Coronavirus Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all surprised at any of this. I don't believe we will ever know the truth and fully expect it to be underestimated forever.
#1 it is Manatee County, there's no tax base there.
#2 all nursing homes are/were misdiagnosing or not diagnosing at all, the patients. I don't think this part is unique to Manatee County.
#3 the level of cleanliness is based on the income - I swear but JMO. If you have Medicare + private insurance + SS + retirement funds/pension, you'll get decent care in a decent facility. Otherwise, you need to help, either financially with a "Sitter" or you need to go sit with your family member. I spent time as a Business Office Manager in nursing home. I was on the financial end of it. However, it was normal to hear of patient's personal affects being stolen, clothing, glasses, dentures, etc. If you hire a sitter, someone who goes and spends time, does their laundry, makes sure they get their meal and actually eat their meal, read to them, you'll know your family is being cared for.

Last edited:
First 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook

I think that a lot of people, not from the area, don't realize that a tropical storm can be just as damaging as a hurricane. I remember TS Faye, just kept circling and circling. Dumped 30 inches or more rain in PSL, over 2 days.
Exactly. Most people think it's the wind that kills and that is what they fear. It's the water. They stay put because they're stubborn or ignorant or trapped, then once the water infiltrates their house, they jump in their car to try to leave. People drive thru it and drown.

I just went to my hair appointment...was so pleased. She has been my stylist for several years. I have to say, they had it so together. It’s a small shop, 3 stylists spaced very far apart. When you arrive, there is a large sign that says please wait in your car and your stylist will come get you. There is hand sanitizer, masks at the front door with directions what to do, and napkins if you should need to touch the front door after sanitizing. All appointments were spaced out and stations sanitized after every person, sanitizer all over. If you get color, you wait outside or in your car (they had tables and chairs outside that you can move around the side yard area). You get a new mask after color rinse, then cut, styled. Everyone is masked.

I’ll admit that this morning I was second guessing even though I was assured prior to my appointment, but so glad I went. I feel like a million bucks now without feeling compromised. This is the way all places should do this. I asked her about customers coming back. She has many regulars like me, but said about maybe 5-6 lost their jobs and are going to hold off for a bit. Everyone else is coming.... @PayrollNerd asked about this, so I was sure to ask.

Last edited:
Thanks for the article. With Michael people really only had 2 days to get out. With projected landfall in any one of 4 states, everyone was waiting to see where it would go, and with that sudden turn it was too late for the people in its path. I just hope the counties and state are prepared as they say they are, and the shelters are safe so COVID19 won’t spread again.
So far, I've never had to leave the house even when the 4 hurricanes hit - the power outage is the absolute worst for me. I want to look into Generac for the whole house but my HOA has banned propane tanks so I have to see if there is an alternative. I don't have a portable generator. sigh.

I just went to my hair appointment...was so pleased. She has been my stylist for several years. I have to say, they had it so together. It’s a small shop, 3 stylists spaced very far apart. When you arrive, there is a large sign that says please wait in your car and your stylist will come get you. There is hand sanitizer, masks at the front door with directions what to do, and napkins if you should need to touch the front door after sanitizing. All appointments were spaced out and stations sanitized after every person, sanitizer all over. If you get color, you wait outside or in your car (they had tables and chairs outside that you can move around the side yard area). You get a new mask after color rinse, then cut, styled. Everyone is masked.

I’ll admit that this morning I was second guessing even though I was assured prior to my appointment, but so glad I went. I feel like a million bucks now without feeling compromised. This is the way all places should do this. I asked her about customers coming back. She has many regulars like me, but said about maybe 5-6 lost their jobs and are going to hold off for a bit. Everyone else is coming.... @PayrollNerd asked about this, so I was sure to ask.
Super happy to hear how careful and thoughtful they are. I know they appreciate your loyalty too.

So far, I've never had to leave the house even when the 4 hurricanes hit - the power outage is the absolute worst for me. I want to look into Generac for the whole house but my HOA has banned propane tanks so I have to see if there is an alternative. I don't have a portable generator. sigh.
I’m looking at an electric one that I can keep inside. I’ve been reading reviews. Not that it will last that long but it will keep a cell phone powered, a small lamp or fan and a small mini fridge. I will need contact with the outside world for my medical care.

We have stayed home too. We have talked about a Generac Stand By Generator, but have never done it. We would have to do propane. We are now on our second portable Generac generator. They are the original and the best and last a long time if properly maintained.

I’m afraid this year we may be out of power longer after a storm. Don’t think we will get the caravans of electric workers that we usually get descending in our direction prior to a storm. This hurricane season will be a challenge with all the covid stuff going on.

We also have a window air conditioner that we can put in one of our bedroom windows for power outages. It gives us one room to escape to with the dogs and for sleeping. You can get them at Home Depot fairly inexpensive and low wattage. Just make sure you keep track of how much wattage your portable generator can take.

Last edited:
When I moved to FL my friend told me to always find out what power grid in the area powers Publix, and the gas station, that is where to buy or rent. Be on the same FPL power grid. It isn't hard to find out.

Because those places are where the power is going to be fixed first.

I never worried about it. I could always go to work then, and have plenty of power, water...

thanks to you all, I ordered battery operated 10 inch fans on Amazon - they are pretty powerful - but they limited me to 2. I'm going to try and order 2 more - at least with moving air you may be able to sleep - it was miserable in 2018 without power for 2 weeks. the office had power so I could get in AC during the day.

I’m looking at an electric one that I can keep inside. I’ve been reading reviews. Not that it will last that long but it will keep a cell phone powered, a small lamp or fan and a small mini fridge. I will need contact with the outside world for my medical care.

If you don't want propane or gas, my suggestion is get an Inverter and a marine battery. I used that during Irma and it kept the fan powered all night, i could charge all my electronics and then recharge the battery from my vehicles OR take in into Batteries Plus and they'd charge it back up for me. I now have a propane generator and a portable AC unit i can plug into it, I'm in Sarasota. FPL is starting to put in underground lines in my neighborhood, hopefully sooner than later.

If you don't want propane or gas, my suggestion is get an Inverter and a marine battery. I used that during Irma and it kept the fan powered all night, i could charge all my electronics and then recharge the battery from my vehicles OR take in into Batteries Plus and they'd charge it back up for me. I now have a propane generator and a portable AC unit i can plug into it, I'm in Sarasota. FPL is starting to put in underground lines in my neighborhood, hopefully sooner than later.
Interesting about the inverter and marine battery. I will watch YouTube videos and see what that involves.

I have never looked into propane. Is it expensive and how expensive is a standard size tank?

I can understand HOA setting parameters for architectural style, paint color, storage, landscaping, business use, etc. Anything that impacts visual impression of neighborhood. But what is the basis for the propane ban? Does that include grill stations? Seems like a restriction that could be challenged- not that the average Tom, Dick or Harry want to subject themselves to the rigamarole of a lawsuit. Still... that’s really obnoxious you don’t have the Generac option.

WATCH LIVE: Orange County mayor provides coronavirus update

As many Floridians wait for further guidance as to when Gov. Ron DeSantis will give the green light for phase two of his reopening plan to take effect, cases of coronavirus continue to rise.

As of early Wednesday afternoon, the Florida Department of Health reported 479 new cases of COVID-19, as well as 93 new deaths since Tuesday.

These new statistics bring the total cases of coronavirus reported in the state since March 1 to 42,402 and brings the total number of deaths related to the respiratory illness to 1,779.

According to the FDOH coronavirus dashboard, there have also been a total of 7,418 severe cases of the virus that required hospitalization.

More @ link
Stay Safe
Your all Admirable and Adorable.
My state neighbors!!!

The stats and process by which nursing homes and their patients were dealt with is interesting.

Deroy Murdock: On coronavirus and nursing homes, DeSantis and Cuomo offer life-and-death contrast

With New York’s 5,352 COVID-19 nursing-home deaths, its fatality rate is 27.5 per 100,000 among 19,453,561 denizens. With Florida’s 665 such decedents, its death rate is 3.1 per 100,000 of its 21,477,737 people.

Amazing! Florida was obviously doing something right! :rolleyes:

We are purchasing a portable generator next week, which will be able to run a refrigerator, fan, and charge items. We are also looking into a smaller solar generator to use at night. We lost power during Irma, and don't want to go through that again.

We are purchasing a portable generator next week, which will be able to run a refrigerator, fan, and charge items. We are also looking into a smaller solar generator to use at night. We lost power during Irma, and don't want to go through that again.
Are you looking at electric or the propane / gas one? I looked at a video of a marine battery and inverter. Holy hurricane that was over my head.

Interesting about the inverter and marine battery. I will watch YouTube videos and see what that involves.

I have never looked into propane. Is it expensive and how expensive is a standard size tank?

You use the same tanks that you do for gas grills. I now have 4 tanks, so can rotate them if needed. I think they are 19.99 or so at grocery store for a full one with trade of empty. Its much easier to handle, in my opinion (single woman) and less maintenance than a gasoline one. The marine battery set up is VERY simple. Inverter i bought at Harbor Freight and then a better one from amazon. Has clips for the battery, like small jumper cables, and then plug in your cords to them. My inverter has 3- 3 prong and 2 2 prong. You can get different sizes. The larger the inverter, the shorter amount of time it will take to drain the battery. I could get a good 14 hours with a fan, a tv and 3 chargers on mine. You then can set up jumpers to car the next day, start it up and charge it back during the day. I was without power for 8 days with Irma, and it kept me at least comfortable at night with the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
0maj0