Florida - Coronavirus Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoke to my BIL who manages an optical place who has also just opened. 10 people allowed in, which include staff and doctor. They meet all customers at front door, make them use hand sanitizer and given a mask to wear if they do not have one... some are very compliant but others roll their eyes. Constant sanitizing. They also do curbside PU which many of the older clientele are happy about.

Glad to see places abiding to these new rules here in those up close and personal businesses. Not all customers will be happy about this, but it is what has to be right now.

BTW, our county Mayor secured free PPE for small businesses to open safely...

Small businesses prepare to get back to work safely with masks, hand sanitizer from Orange County

Workers began handing out personal protective equipment to Orange County small business owners on Monday as part of an effort to help small businesses meet Florida’s guidelines for reopening.

Orange County officials said one million masks and 200,000 bottles of hand sanitizer are available to be distributed to as many as 20,000 small businesses throughout the county.

"We owe it to our citizens to make sure that we have appropriate sanitary measures in place to stop this virus." Mayor Jerry Demings said.

• Florida coronavirus update for May 14: 48 new deaths brings toll close to 1,900 (1:29)
  • I-Drive attractions ask to be treated like restaurants and be allowed to reopen (2:33)
  • Epic Universe theme park construction in Orlando won’t resume until the economy bounces back, Comcast official says (7:14)
  • Orlando convention center to host 30,000 people next month (8:11)
  • Gov. Ron DeSantis seeks a way to allow visitors at nursing homes again (9:28)
  • Major Central Florida hospital system uses hydroxychoroquine for coronavirus despite warnings about effectiveness (10:44)
  • Gov. Ron DeSantis urges pro sports teams to train, play in Florida (11:30)
  • UCF’s enrollment trending down for fall, but up for summer (14:03)

LISTEN at link...

#OSNow PODCAST: I-Drive attractions want to reopen, convention center to host 30,000 next month, and governor urges pro sports teams to train, play in Florida (Ep. 420)

Trump's Mar-a-Lago Club set to reopen with Jacuzzi social distancing

• President Donald Trump's private club in Florida will be able to partially reopen after 57 days of shuttering.
  • The Mar-a-Lago Club will be able to begin a partial reopening on Saturday now that Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis gave Palm Beach County the go-ahead for "phase one" of the Sunshine State's reopening plan.
  • In an email to members obtained by the Washington Post, "social distancing will be enforced on both the pool deck and in the pool/Jacuzzi."
  • The club is also ordering members to bring their own towels, and pool noodles will be banned.

Are you looking at electric or the propane / gas one? I looked at a video of a marine battery and inverter. Holy hurricane that was over my head.
An electric one. I live in a villa complex, and they won't allow propane. We are also checking into a solar one. My husband also was thinking about the battery route, but we have seen some affordable solar ones.

These poor families. My heart breaks for them. The one lady was able to get a test kit and took it to the facility. Her mom tested positive but died 2 days later. Some days I feel like we’re a third world country when it comes to taking care of our seniors.

Woman describes conditions inside Sarasota nursing home with COVID-19 outbreak

That is sad. I have had several friends who have had parents die. No funeral. No family, especially when family is so important. No church. No luncheon after the burial.

My friend was telling me, that she can't seem to get over her grief, because there wasn't a funeral service for her Dad. Like, it hasn't ended, and move forward. She feels so unsettled.

So sad.

That is sad. I have had several friends who have had parents die. No funeral. No family, especially when family is so important. No church. No luncheon after the burial.

My friend was telling me, that she can't seem to get over her grief, because there wasn't a funeral service for her Dad. Like, it hasn't ended, and move forward. She feels so unsettled.

So sad.
I saw a news report somewhere that a family did a “drive in” funeral at the funeral home. A relative built a stage, hooked up some type of radio transmitter and broadcast the service to the cars. It was so ingenious that I wondered if there was someone that could literally market that. The family was so appreciative and the funeral director was very grateful.

I saw a news report somewhere that a family did a “drive in” funeral at the funeral home. A relative built a stage, hooked up some type of radio transmitter and broadcast the service to the cars. It was so ingenious that I wondered if there was someone that could literally market that. The family was so appreciative and the funeral director was very grateful.

I think that part of the problem is the issue with plane travel right now. Family members didn't want to come. There was a small service at the cemetery. But even that was minimal. The VFW used to do quite a ceremony here for veteran funerals. Not any more.

I haven't posted this in a while, but here goes. Thought we may want to start keeping a little track since things are opening up.

NOTE: these are the stats the state is reporting.

43,210 cases
42,038 positive resident
1,172 positive non residents
7,749 hospitalizations
1,875 deaths

Home

This link has county results.
Florida Coronavirus: 43,210 Cases and 1,876 Deaths (COVID-19 ) - Worldometer

United States Coronavirus: 1,465,259 Cases and 87,303 Deaths - Worldometer
Florida has about 21.4 million people (plus)
609,577 tests have been done

Last edited:
Central Florida summer camps will be smaller, with face masks and temperature checks

Camps will host fewer children to keep groups at 10 or less. The city of Sanford’s camp, for example, expects to serve fewer than 50 kids a week this year, down from 70 a week last year.
Several camp operators said they’ll be doing daily temperature checks on staff and some may require them to wear face masks, too. All will be doing extra cleaning.

Some also will be offering new online options, hoping to appeal to parents who want something entertaining for their children but don’t want them with mingling with other kids yet.

Still other operators, such as the YMCA of Central Florida, are still trying to decide how to safely run summer programs. The YMCA said it expects to offer its day camps at some Central Florida locations but hasn’t finalized plans. It also isn’t sure about opening Camp Wewa, its sleep-away camp in Apopka, where campers and counselors sleep, eat and play in close proximity.

In Orlando, which can offer spots to 603 campers a week this summer, children will be kept in a single room all day, rather than rotating from room to room for different activities. Field trips, typically taken to bowling alleys and theme parks, won’t happen this year. At least at first, city swimming pools and playgrounds won’t reopen to accommodate camps.

more at link

Volleyball tourney postponed until July at Orlando convention center

The Amateur Athletic Union decided today to reschedule its 12-day junior volleyball championships at the Orange County Convention Center from mid-June to begin July 14 when the coronavirus may be less of a health threat to players, coaches and referees, the organization and convention center officials announced in a joint statement.

The tourney, billed by AAU as the largest volleyball event in the world, would have been the first mass gathering at the International Drive complex since March.
Convention center spokeswoman Nadia Vanderhoof had cautioned Wednesday the AAU event was “still tentative and contingent” on Gov. Ron DeSantis’ allowing Florida to move into a second phase of his plan for reopening the state’s economy. Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings, who has been urging residents to avoid large crowds, said he was concerned about hosting the large competition at the county-owned venue.

Visitors flock to CityWalk as limited restaurants, retail shops open

There were lines of cars outside Universal Orlando’s CityWalk as the attraction opened its gates for the first time in two months.

Nico Nieves said he traveled to Orlando from Ft. Lauderdale with his partner to get out of the house. He took advantage of the limited capacity opening, dining in at Margaritaville.

“Everybody's happy here. Everybody's very welcoming... there's hand sanitizer everywhere. They're on every corner, everywhere you look. They're not letting anybody in without a mask," said Nieves.

Nieves said it was an interesting experience at the security checkpoint.

“I felt like I was in a movie. They put a machine up to my head and checked my temperature,” said Nieves.
All guests and employees are also required to wear masks. They are selling them on-site for those who don’t have one.
(Not happy about opening) "Not a good idea..." Roger Barakat said. "I think the problem is most people that lost their vacation will see Florida opening up and they're just going to flood the place, and I don't know how they're going to keep all the people out."
“In this weather and having to wear the mask, I’m not going to come back, it’s too hot and uncomfortable being out there with the mask," Tanaka said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member