Found Deceased CA - Tushar Atre, 50, tech executive, kidnapped, Santa Cruz County, Oct 2019 *ARRESTS*

Last edited:
New Video Released by Santa Cruz Sheriffs Shows Suspects in Indian American Tech Entrepreneur Tushar Atre’s Murder

Video here that shows suspects.

From the article: ...The video shows three individuals believed to be men. Two suspects are wearing baseball caps while a third is wearing a hood and carrying a duffle bag. One of the suspects is carrying a rifle... the suspects walked out of the small alley and to Atre’s home on Pleasure Point Drive. The surveillance camera footage was time-stamped 2:47 a.m...

New Video Released by Santa Cruz Sheriffs Shows Suspects in Indian American Tech Entrepreneur Tushar Atre’s Murder

Video here that shows suspects.

From the article: ...The video shows three individuals believed to be men. Two suspects are wearing baseball caps while a third is wearing a hood and carrying a duffle bag. One of the suspects is carrying a rifle... the suspects walked out of the small alley and to Atre’s home on Pleasure Point Drive. The surveillance camera footage was time-stamped 2:47 a.m...

The duffel bag makes me inclined to believe robbery was possibly part of the motive. If that’s the case, if there was no cash in the house, that could explain why they took him to his property in the mountains.

The duffel bag makes me inclined to believe robbery was possibly part of the motive. If that’s the case, if there was no cash in the house, that could explain why they took him to his property in the mountains.
He was growing weed on the mountain properties. That's why they took him there.

Larger reward now being offered, and new surveillance video:

Mystery cyclist sought in Tushar Atre kidnap-murder

“....Santa Cruz sheriff's officials said Wednesday that they are looking for a new person of interest — a bicyclist who is seen on surveillance video approaching Atre's Pleasure Point house three hours before the kidnapping. The cyclist stops to case the residence and then bikes away.

....On Wednesday, the sheriff's office said the reward has again been increased — to $200,000, making it the largest reward in county history.

Sheriff's officials also released what they believe to be the path the kidnappers took in the white SUV, starting from the 3000 block of Pleasure Point Drive, left onto East Cliff Drive, left again on 41st Avenue, then right onto Soquel Drive before a final left onto Soquel San Jose Road.”

He was growing weed on the mountain properties. That's why they took him there.

Hi! I am new here and joined because I was interested in a couple of Santa Cruz cases. Do you know that he was growing on his mountain properties or just suspect? I don't recall the county coming in and destroying a grow after he was found.

I can't believe this case hasn't been solved yet, you would think that someone would have snitched by now with at least 4 people being involved.

There might be the possibility of a receipe for disaster where the environment contributed a lot to the motive.

Start with an aggressive personality. Not good characteristics to have in an honor sub culture. Of course, "honor" in this context does not mean "fair" or "just". Rather, it just means that the sub culture can place also of emphasis on respect / dis respect concepts rather than having a detached "legal" approach.

Then add that the victim could well have not been aware of the social norms in that sub culture and presumed that it operated the same way as his software business. Blend in that the subculture appears to have a disproportionate number of people pre-disposed towards violence, or willing to tolerate it amongst others in the group.

Toss in the possible fact that a changing cannabis market means that a good number of legal, semi legal and illegal growers have cash flow problems and are not on the road to the promised perfect pot paradise. Lastly, fold in the possibility of people in the sub-culture smoking their own harvests and some who might not be inclined to stop with THC in regards to substance use.

There result could well be victim being the wrong person in the wrong place and the wrong time....

I believe you nailed it.

Arrests!!
Arrests made in murder, kidnapping of Santa Cruz tech exec

Additional info to be given at press conference scheduled for May 21st at 11:00am pacific time.
Wow! I thought for sure this was done by pro criminals who would have disappeared afterward

Hi! I am new here and joined because I was interested in a couple of Santa Cruz cases. Do you know that he was growing on his mountain properties or just suspect? I don't recall the county coming in and destroying a grow after he was found.

I can't believe this case hasn't been solved yet, you would think that someone would have snitched by now with at least 4 people being involved.
Atre's grow operation was legal. That was probably part of the problem his killers had with it (and especially him)

Wow! I thought for sure this was done by pro criminals who would have disappeared afterward

Atre's grow operation was legal. That was probably part of the problem his killers had with it (and especially him)

I don't think they are granting licences for grows in the Santa Cruz mountains. There are strict regulations for a grow, armed 24 hr guard, fencing etc. I just can't believe if he had something on his property in the Santa Cruz mountains that it was legal so why did they go there? There is a dark side to this profession for sure. So glad there is movement on this case.

I don't think they are granting licences for grows in the Santa Cruz mountains. There are strict regulations for a grow, armed 24 hr guard, fencing etc. I just can't believe if he had something on his property in the Santa Cruz mountains that it was legal so why did they go there? There is a dark side to this profession for sure. So glad there is movement on this case.
Atre was a silicon valley CEO type and by all accounts a real jerk of one. He had recently started up a marijuana company. Odds are very high that the perpetrators were more "old school" marijuana businessmen who did not appreciate his standards & practices and that the location he was taken to was related to that business.

Atre was a silicon valley CEO type and by all accounts a real jerk of one. He had recently started up a marijuana company. Odds are very high that the perpetrators were more "old school" marijuana businessmen who did not appreciate his standards & practices and that the location he was taken to was related to that business.
You've been watching way too much Murder Mountain

You've been watching way too much Murder Mountain
I don't know what that is but I do find the Emerald Triangle subforum on this site pretty interesting. Perhaps @Cryptic and I should collaborate on our great American novel. Would you care to share what you believe to be a more likely motive in this case before the press conference on the arrests?

Ohhhh, gotta check out the Emerald Triangle subforum as I also find this pretty interesting. There is absolutely a dark side to the cannabis industry a lot of money and greed and still a very big black market. I drive by his house now and again and have been curious about a place of that size and worth, you would think he would have had a top-notch security system with cameras. Letting these guys in at 3 AM just doesn't make sense.

Ohhhh, gotta check out the Emerald Triangle subforum as I also find this pretty interesting. There is absolutely a dark side to the cannabis industry a lot of money and greed and still a very big black market. I drive by his house now and again and have been curious about a place of that size and worth, you would think he would have had a top-notch security system with cameras. Letting these guys in at 3 AM just doesn't make sense.
People in his neighborhood thought it was a cartel job and some are skeptical about these kids that got arrested. None the less dude was involved with sketchy people and either did bad business or let people into his life and they what he had and they wanted it.

I'm sure a LOT more evidence exists than what has been shown to the press. If it goes to trial that kind of evidence would be interesting but it won't go to trial, either of the two ways I could see it going down. This guy on a bicycle probably cased it and saw some vulnerability. I'm sure a Silicon Velley tech exec isn't in the habit of running a very tight ship. Maybe the girlfriend goes outside to smoke, for example. I haven't Google mapped the scene so I can only broadly guess.

People in his neighborhood thought it was a cartel job and some are skeptical about these kids that got arrested. None the less dude was involved with sketchy people and either did bad business or let people into his life and they what he had and they wanted it.
The people in the neighborhood and I think the same thing. Too much coincidence otherwise. Why not target someone even richer and softer? You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a millionaire nerd in SoCal

they don't give the suspect's names or any details
It's not May 21 at 11:00am PST yet. They're building drama.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back